mysteryman

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:37 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
worse... she's an enlightened Obama supporter... a REAL liberal Laughing

I wonder if the same ones that demanded Imus's firing are gonna demand that she get fired?

Somehow I doubt it.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:39 pm
I can't frikkin STAND Randi Rhodes. Never have liked her, don't now...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:48 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

I wonder if the same ones that demanded Imus's firing are gonna demand that she get fired?

Somehow I doubt it.

Well Obama was one who demanded that Imus be fired. So it will be interesting to see if he is as offended at this kind of stuff aimed at Clinton and Ferraro. Smile
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:49 pm
sorry - I don't remember Obama demanding Imus' job. Can you show that to me?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:51 pm
snood wrote:

He came pretty dang close here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioYrNYsNUfY
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 03:58 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
snood wrote:

Okay, fine. He was asked about it, and he gave his opinion. Could you at least wait until someone asks him about Randi Rhodes foul mouth before you start whining that he is a hypocrite?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:00 pm
snood wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
snood wrote:

Okay, fine. He was asked about it, and he gave his opinion. Could you at least wait until someone asks him about Randi Rhodes foul mouth before you start whining that he is a hypocrite?

Please show where I whined that he is a hypocrite.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:01 pm
the love... the unification... my heart fairly bursts....
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:06 pm
Please foxfyre....

Quote:
Well Obama was one who demanded that Imus be fired. So it will be interesting to see if he is as offended at this kind of stuff aimed at Clinton and Ferraro.

are you now saying that Obama's hypocrisy is not what you were saying would be "interesting"?
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

mysteryman wrote:
blueflame1 wrote:

We also want to see your tax returns.
If you are demanding that she release hers, you need to release yours.

Unless I'm mistaken, blueflame isn't running for the Democratic nomnation for the presidency.

Any and all candidates should release their tax returns and especially the ones that moan and groan about crooked, tax dodging capitalists.
0 Replies

Thomas

Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

No she isn't. Randi Rhodes is a liberal copy of Rush Limbaugh. The two have exactly the same style of bullying, yelling, and choking off their callers the moment they express independent thoughts, to say nothing of critical ones. If Randi Rhodes is Obama's friend, he doesn't need enemies anymore.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:07 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
the love... the unification... my heart fairly bursts....

good thing you don't give a f*ck about any of this. Hell, you'd have to spend time posting here then.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:19 pm
I buy my fish at the store .... but I still like throwing the bait in the water and watching them take the hook....
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:20 pm
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

No she isn't. Randi Rhodes is a liberal copy of Rush Limbaugh. The two have exactly the same style of bullying, yelling, and choking off their callers the moment they express independent thoughts, to say nothing of critical ones. If Randi Rhodes is Obama's friend, he doesn't need enemies anymore.

agreed thomas but let me have my little joke...
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:24 pm
It would be hard to sit back and hold my tongue while Democrats self-destruct and snatch defeat from the jaw of victory, if my comments had even the slightest chance of affecting the outcome of the Dem primaries, but of course they don't, and so I don't intend to strain to restrain myself.

Oh sure, a smugly arrogant post by Finn might convince one or two A2K Clinton supporters to bury the hatchet and support Obama, but so what?

I recall once watching someone desperately trying to keep his brand new muscle car from rolling down a steep driveway and smacking itself to sh*t. Obviously he couldn't hold back more than a ton of iron, chrome, plastic and steel, and so at some point he leaped aside to prevent the car he loved from killing him.

This seems to me to be the sort of hopeless struggle in which true-believing Democrats will soon be finding themselves.

The only problem with this analogy is that it's pretty tough to see the Democrat Party as a "muscle car."

It ain't, by any means, over yet but considering what I thought might be the political landscape about this time, I'm quite encouraged. If "Hope," audacious or otherwise is all that grand, it's nice to know that it has taken up residence on our side of the spectrum.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:26 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
how so? I do not believe there will be a qualified candidate this season. I'm required to vote for the one I dislike least? Because that's what you're saying...and when I point out the obvious you tell me I'm a pussy so whats the diff?

Hey bear, old friend.

As I've told you in the less public venue, I have absolutely no idea how you've come to view Obama in the way you do. That opinion is as utterly beyond me as is the opinion of another whose address bears striking similarities to my own. In fact, I find it even less comprehensible than I find the opinions of some others who, falling into the language and cognitive frames of reference which constitutes the modern conservative/Republican electoral smear methodology, seemed unable to resist any temptation to attack Clinton's presumed 'character'. They at least might make the reasonable claim that her campaign has looked more like a Republican-run campaign in the aspect I refer to. And they have the further excuse of having lived within a near-two-decade cultural bath of such character-assassination propaganda.

Sure, it is all well and good to argue for your chosen candidates and argue against the competing candidates. I'd be a lousy species of liberal if I held anything else to be so. But this isn't liberal discourse. This is something closer to the mimicking behavior and unconscious patterning of Stockholm Syndrome.

Quote:
"Everybody hates Clinton already. But not enough people hate Obama. That's a problem." Rush Limbaugh

"If It's Not Close They Can't Cheat: Crushing the Democrats in Every Election and Why Your Life Depends on It" title of a 2004 book by Hugh Hewitt, conservative radio host and columnist

"The only question is whether we depict Willie Horton with a knife in his hand or without it." Roger Ailes, president of Fox news and previously media consultant for Richard Nixon, Ronald Reagan, and George H. W. Bush,

"I spend a lot of time working with the conservative press to make sure that we're all thinking alike and talking alike." Grover Norquist

"Tom Delay's goal is specific - to keep the Republicans in power and advance the conservative movement. I have Tom's goal precisely." Jack Abramoff

"Bipartisanship is another word for date rape." Dick Armey, later quoted and embraced by Grover Norquist

"The New York Times understands sex. It doesn't understand money." Grover Norquist

The plan to defeat Clinton's policies by weakening his personal image worked perfectly. In 1994, for instance, a Wall Street Journal poll found that every element of the Clinton health plan commanded majority support. Only when it was identified as "the Clinton plan" did respondents turn against it Jonathan Chait, The Big Con, page 168

Quote:
It is not that conservatives shy away from internal debate, but rather that those debates have a frantic orthodoxy about them. Conservative debates, unlike liberal ones, begin with the premise that there is a single belief system. The debate ususally takes the form of an accusation, or mutual accusations, of ideological heresey. Intramural conservative disputes are almost always confinded to those few areas, like immigration or certain foreign policy issues, where the conservative litany is not well defined. As we saw earlier, they usually take the form of rival claimants to the true spirit of Reaganism. Conservatives regularly allude to "the conservative movement." Liberals have no corresponding term. This is because there is no liberal movement in anything like the sense that there is a conservative movement.

Liberals, of course, freely accuse each other of all sorts of ideological sins. The difference is that you virtually never see one of them accuse the other of "betraying liberalism" because there is no agreed upon definition of what liberalism means. It is an ideological coalition of the sort that has generally been found at the center of American politics throughout our history. Conservativism is more of an ideological sect.

One of the classic traits of sectarian thought is a belief that failure can result only from doctrinal impurity. This is one of the defining features of modern conservatism.
ibid, page 241
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:28 pm
For Shakespeare, in the matter of religion
( read American politics)
the choice lay between Christianity and nothing.
He choise nothing."-- George Santayana
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
snood wrote:
Please foxfyre....

Quote:
Well Obama was one who demanded that Imus be fired. So it will be interesting to see if he is as offended at this kind of stuff aimed at Clinton and Ferraro.

are you now saying that Obama's hypocrisy is not what you were saying would be "interesting"?

If that is what I was saying, that is what I would have said. What I would find interesting is whether Obama would be magnanimous to come to the defense of his opponent in this particular instance. Would you? Will he should it come up? Especially given the really harsh things she has said about him?

Don't you ever get curious about something like that?

So again, show me where I accused Obama of being a hypocrite. I accommodated you when you asked for evidence.
0 Replies

blatham

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:38 pm
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

Yes and no, thomas. She is a bully and a close-minded twit precisely in the mode of rightwing radio and who was far and away the stupidest hire those people made. But we need to make the differentiation here (aside from audience reach and consequent influence) regarding Limbaugh's intimate relationship with Norquist and the RNC contrasted with no such similar relationship between Rhodes and counterparts.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 3 Apr, 2008 04:41 pm
Thomas wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

You haven't ever listened to Limbaugh have you? He absolutely gives at least up to twice as much time to people who call in to criticize him or present a leftwing perspective as he does the people who call to praise him or present a rightwing point of view. And I don't recall that Rush has ever raised his voice or disrespected or been rude or dismissive of a single one of those callers.
0 Replies