Roxxxanne

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:20 am
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah,
A white right-winger, speaking for African Americans, typed with his manicured hands and has never done a day's work in HIS life! Get a hint, and stop posting this garbage, passing for journalism! How dare HE and YOU!

Your anger at anyone with white skin is palpable.

I remember distinctly you being cross with eoe ... until you learned her skin color ... and then you became fast friends.

LOL I don't feel any anger at all from teeny and my skin is white.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:23 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah,
A white right-winger, speaking for African Americans, typed with his manicured hands and has never done a day's work in HIS life! Get a hint, and stop posting this garbage, passing for journalism! How dare HE and YOU!

I remember distinctly you being cross with eoe ... until you learned her skin color ... and then you became fast friends.

Lucky you.

You called me a misogynist because of my avatar; she calls me a "known bigot" because of the color of my skin.

Isn't your party supposed to the the "enlightened" party?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:24 am
SOW(ell) is worse than the typical ofay like Tico. He is an Uncle Tom sellout.

Tico, you and the other crackers are doing a great job stirring up racial tensions on this forum.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:25 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah,

Lucky you.

You called me a misogynist because of my avatar; she calls me a "known bigot" because of the color of my skin.

Isn't your party supposed to the the "enlightened" party?

I called you a misogynist BECAUSE YOU HATE WOMEN!
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:25 am
dagmaraka wrote:
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v193/18/84/1701931/n1701931_32400023_7737.jpg

:wink:

I haven't even tuned into this thread for days on end because the liklihood of anything appearing that might make me smile had become close to zero.

But this post did it, dag. A big hug to you.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:37 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Reposted ... (nappy posted this earlier in this thread).

This is not a white man:
http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9489/thomassowellcf8.jpg

Yeah but this is http://www.able2know.org/forums/images/avatars/428852444443159de138b7.gif and the ofay behind it.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:38 am
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah,

I am bi-racial!
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:51 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
I called you a misogynist BECAUSE YOU HATE WOMEN!

You (or actually you were Chrissee at the time) said it was because of my avatar. Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:53 am
teenyboone wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah,

I am bi-racial!

Congratulations.
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:59 am
Clarence Thomas is also black but I wouldn't say he represents a majority of blacks in America.

This is who Thomas Thomas Sowell is; he is a conservative so of course he is going to have a different outlook than a liberal; black or white.

10 Questions With Thomas Sowell

Quote:
John Hawkins: Overall, do you believe Affirmative Action has had a more positive or negative impact on the lives of black Americans?

Thomas Sowell: Affirmative action has been a boon to those blacks who were already affluent and particularly for those who were rich but has done little or nothing for those blacks who are neither. Moreover empirical data from other countries around the world shows the same general pattern from group preferences.

John Hawkins: Do you believe reparations should be paid for slavery?

Thomas Sowell: The people made worse off by slavery were those who were enslaved. Their descendants would have been worse off today if born in Africa instead of America. Put differently, the terrible fate of their ancestors benefitted them. If those who were enslaved were alive, they would deserve huge reparations and their captors would deserve worse punishments than our laws allow. But death has put both beyond our reach. Frustrating as that may be, creating new injustices among the living will not change that.
0 Replies

okie

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:13 am
Thomas Sowell is one of my favorite columnists, a very bright man, a great man, and one who has the ability to analyze what may appear to be complex problems and break them down to explain them in very simple terms. Evidently, folks like Roxxi can't even understand them in simple terms.

Sowell is not a racist, no way, and that is why he demands and deserves respect. If he were to run for office, such as Congress, I would vote for him no question. One of his strong areas is the ability to understand the common sense basics of the economy and free enterprise, and that would put him head and shoulders above most of today's Democratic congressmen.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:14 am
A New Politics? Or A New Pandering?
By Jonathan Rauch, National Journal
© National Journal Group Inc.
Friday, March 28, 2008

So, am I the first psychiatrist you've seen about this problem?

Well, I'll just say you're the first who doesn't exist.

Your chart here shows chronic punditry, with episodes of prognostication. Looks like you had a hard year last year.

In 2007, I made two contrarian calls. First, don't write off John McCain. Second, write off Barack Obama. My average was 50 percent, which is as well as a lot of people did last year.

It's also as well as the average chimpanzee did. Is that why you're depressed?

No, it's these doubts, this hesitation. About Obama. A man I respect. Admire. I want to fall for him, love him as so many others do. But ... I can't. I try, but I can't.

Ah. This is not so uncommon. Obama Resistance Complex. You have Barack blockage. You are afraid to love, to commit.

No, no. Some of my conservative friends think that Obamamania is a messianic cult. I don't. I understand the enthusiasm. I can't remember when I've seen a politician with as much promise. He is eloquent, charismatic, cool under fire. He's the best kind of intellectual: super-smart but not patronizing. He has taken political risks to show moral leadership. Who else would have stood at Martin Luther King's pulpit and condemned homophobia and anti-Semitism in the black community?

And wouldn't it be something to have a black president! Think of the bloody chapters in American history a President Obama could close. I want to believe. I go home, shut my eyes, and say, "Yes I can!"

But I can't.

Take a breath. Here, blow your nose. Now, try to tell me why you think you have these issues. Let it out.

Well, for a while it was the experience factor. Since when is the presidency an entry-level job? That was why it took me so long to take him seriously. Surely eight years in the Illinois Legislature and four in the U.S. Senate -- four not exceptionally distinguished years, by the way -- don't qualify anyone to be president of the United States. I told people, "He's too green. He'll make mistakes. And he won't know how to recover from them."

But over the course of 2007, I watched as he went from strength to strength, outperforming competitors who were much more seasoned. I began to think he was a natural. The Jeremiah Wright affair could have cratered his campaign. Obama's damage control may not have been perfect, but he managed to regain control of the conversation, which is hard to do when you're up against "God damn America!"

Yet still I hesitate. I'm like the Democratic electorate, who twice brought Obama to the edge of victory but then balked at giving him the prize.

Why?

I wonder if he understands that politics isn't a pillow fight and isn't supposed to be. He and his supporters complain so much about the mean, nasty Clintons. What I've heard from Sen. Clinton isn't the politics of personal destruction; it's legitimate criticism and contrasts. His readiness to be president is a major issue, so why shouldn't she question it? It's her duty, in fact. When I hear his supporters gripe about how roughly the Evil Clinton Machine is treating him, I hear an attempt to stigmatize the kind of robust give-and-take that politics is all about. It makes me wonder if Obama will crumple, as John Kerry did in 2004, when the full force of the Republican attack machine hits him.

Lord knows, the public is right to want a change from the bullying hyperpartisanship of Bush-era Republicanism. I'm not saying that Obama should take the low road. But I'm old enough to remember the last time the voters got tired of divisiveness and went shopping for a politician with a purifying personality. We don't need another Jimmy Carter.

Carter, humph. Have you considered that Obama might be a JFK? Kennedy, like Carter, was elected more for his personality than his platform, but he worked out well.

Maybe. I'd feel more confident if the folks at the Democratic Leadership Council didn't have a point. I can't think of a single major issue on which Obama has bucked the orthodoxy of his party's liberal base. His persona reaches out to the middle, but his policies look like old liberal wine in a new bottle.

In 1992, Bill Clinton used his campaign to move his party toward the center. He ran on law and order, saying he'd put 100,000 more cops on the streets. He called for ending welfare as we know it, a proposal that shocked his party's Left. He favored the North American Free Trade Agreement. A candidate can specialize in rhetoric, but a president will need to offer policies. How can President Obama reach across party lines if he's elected on a mandate to stay safely within liberal Democrats' comfort zone?

Now, that's not fair. Partly thanks to Bill Clinton, the Democrats have already moved toward the center, and partly thanks to President Bush, the center has moved toward the Democrats. The party is pretty close to where the country is right now, so why should Obama break with the base? Just to prove his manhood to pundits? In any case, the time to expect crossover policies would be after he gets the nomination, not before.

Right, right. Maybe he'll break out of the box. But if I could just see some sign, any sign, of ideological independence ...

You're suspicious.

Well, I suppose so. I want change as much as the next guy, but "We are the change" doesn't cut it. After three years in the Senate, Obama must know that Washington is a dense ecology of entrenched programs and bureaucracies and client groups, not one of which can be waved aside with blandishments about change. He must know that politicians follow inspiration 10 days a year and incentives the other 355, and that putting a new face in the Oval Office won't change those incentives after the honeymoon is over.

So what's his plan? I consulted The Audacity of Hope, his political book, and found it full of rhetoric such as "what's needed is a broad majority of Americans -- Democrats, Republicans, and independents of goodwill -- who are re-engaged in the project of national renewal" and "we need a new kind of politics, one that can excavate and build upon those shared understandings," etc., etc. But how will he actually bring about this political transformation as president? He warns that it won't be easy. He says it will require "tough choices" and "courage." OK, but WHAT'S THE PLAN? "This isn't to say I know exactly how to do it," he writes. "I don't." Oh. I'm not sure if this is disarming modesty or outrageous chutzpah.

I don't think Obama is cynical, although he may be naive. I think he believes that once in a while a new kind of politician, with a new kind of mandate from a new kind of electorate, can set a new tone and direction. He's right, up to a point. Ronald Reagan showed in 1981 what a strong mandate from a changed electorate could accomplish, though only for a year or so.

But there's also a kind of pandering in what Obama is doing. A few years ago, a pair of political scientists, John R. Hibbing and Elizabeth Theiss-Morse, looked at evidence from surveys and focus groups and drew some fairly startling conclusions. Most Americans, they found, think there are easy, straightforward solutions out there that everyone would agree on if only biased special interests and self-serving politicians would get out of the way. They want to be governed by ENSIDs: empathetic non-self-interested decision makers.

This is pure fantasy, of course. But indulging it is Obama's stock-in-trade. In today's Washington, the only way to get sustainable bipartisanship -- bipartisanship over a period of years, not weeks -- is with divided government, which Obama and a Democratic Congress obviously can't provide. True, Hillary Rodham Clinton can't provide that either. He might be better than she at working across party lines (although in the Senate she has been quite good at it, arguably better than he -- and John McCain has been best of all). But to promise "a new kind of politics" borders on chicanery.

Why be so jaded about prospects for change? You're assuming business as usual. Obama might change business as usual. That's the point. If the Democrats win large enough majorities, it's a whole new ball game in Washington.

You know, sometimes I wonder if that isn't many Obama supporters' real hope: Use post-partisan rhetoric to win a big partisan majority and then roll over the Republicans. It's the Democratic version of what Reagan did and Bush tried to do. It might work, but a new kind of politics it isn't.

You're a serious case. You may need electroshock. Are you sure you really want to change? You're not just using me as a cheap literary device to keep people reading to the end?

Only if it works.
0 Replies

okie

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:17 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
SOW(ell) is worse than the typical ofay like Tico. He is an Uncle Tom sellout.

Tico, you and the other crackers are doing a great job stirring up racial tensions on this forum.

I have Sowells book on Basic Economics, and I would recommend it highly to you, Roxxi, you might learn something. His intellect makes you a mental midget. Sorry for the slam, but seriously, you need to wake up and smell the coffee, as old Ann Landers would say.
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:22 am
okie wrote:
Thomas Sowell is one of my favorite columnists, a very bright man, a great man, and one who has the ability to analyze what may appear to be complex problems and break them down to explain them in very simple terms. Evidently, folks like Roxxi can't even understand them in simple terms.

Sowell is not a racist, no way, and that is why he demands and deserves respect. If he were to run for office, such as Congress, I would vote for him no question. One of his strong areas is the ability to understand the common sense basics of the economy and free enterprise, and that would put him head and shoulders above most of today's Democratic congressmen.

I am not saying he is a racist; I said he was a conservative with views I would call a bit radical. Like answering the slave reparation question with "Their descendants would have been worse off today if born in Africa instead of America."
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:25 am
Quote:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=89163655
0 Replies

okie

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 09:35 am
revel wrote:
okie wrote:

I am not saying he is a racist; I said he was a conservative with views I would call a bit radical. Like answering the slave reparation question with "Their descendants would have been worse off today if born in Africa instead of America."

I read that in one of his columns a long time ago. Yes, it may be a surprising statement on the surface, but he made the statement based on his personal knowledge of life in Africa, vs here. He has data to back it up. You also must remember that slavery still exists in Africa, and unless I am mistaken, I believe the people involved in perpetuating the practice are also black. Recognizing the truth does not make him racist, he is only making an observation. In doing so, he does not argue that slavery in the U.S. was good, but he is simply pointing out that blacks living here today do not need to believe they are worse off now, even though their ancestors suffered. He is arguing that we should put it into the past. This is entirely logical. None of us can change what happened to our ancestors, or even who our ancestors were.

By the way, polls showing Obama being fairly resilient to the Wright thing mainly proves one thing, that voters are emotionally attached to this candidate. It is emotion, not reason, at least that is my take on it. It proves his strategy is working, the chanting of "change" is more emotion and hype. We have known this for a long time, and that is one of the things we detractors are trying to warn everybody about.
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:00 am
okie wrote:
Just alerting folks to possible hypocrisy thats all. Draw your own conclusions. I am simply raising a question here.

Very well.

Of course, ending a sentence with a question mark doesn't necessarily mean you're asking a valid question. There's a fine (or maybe not so fine) line between asking valid questions and spreading lies.

But hey, you know what you thought when you asked that question. Maybe it was an honest question.

At any rate, you seem to use the "I am simply raising a question here" line quite often. And sometimes the questions you raise sound more like outrageous insinuations then, well, simple questions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:06 am
old europe wrote:
okie wrote:
Just alerting folks to possible hypocrisy thats all. Draw your own conclusions. I am simply raising a question here.

Very well.

Of course, ending a sentence with a question mark doesn't necessarily mean you're asking a valid question. There's a fine (or maybe not so fine) line between asking valid questions and spreading lies.

But hey, you know what you thought when you asked that question. Maybe it was an honest question.

At any rate, you seem to use the "I am simply raising a question here" line quite often. And sometimes the questions you raise sound more like outrageous insinuations then, well, simple questions.

oe, I agree with you about okie's questions sounding more like "outrageious insinuations" over legit ones. It takes a "creative mind" like okie's to dream up some of that stuff.
0 Replies

old europe

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:07 am
okie wrote:
By the way, polls showing Obama being fairly resilient to the Wright thing mainly proves one thing, that voters are emotionally attached to this candidate.

Or maybe it shows that the Wright thing is not what you make it out to be. Or maybe it shows that voters like Hillary or McCain even less, and therefore stick with Obama. Or maybe it shows that voters were really convinced by Obama's speech.

Claiming that it "mainly proves one thing" seems to be a bit off.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 10:18 am
okie wrote:
revel wrote:
okie wrote:

I read that in one of his columns a long time ago. Yes, it may be a surprising statement on the surface, but he made the statement based on his personal knowledge of life in Africa, vs here. He has data to back it up. You also must remember that slavery still exists in Africa, and unless I am mistaken, I believe the people involved in perpetuating the practice are also black. Recognizing the truth does not make him racist, he is only making an observation. In doing so, he does not argue that slavery in the U.S. was good, but he is simply pointing out that blacks living here today do not need to believe they are worse off now, even though their ancestors suffered. He is arguing that we should put it into the past. This is entirely logical. None of us can change what happened to our ancestors, or even who our ancestors were.

By the way, polls showing Obama being fairly resilient to the Wright thing mainly proves one thing, that voters are emotionally attached to this candidate. It is emotion, not reason, at least that is my take on it. It proves his strategy is working, the chanting of "change" is more emotion and hype. We have known this for a long time, and that is one of the things we detractors are trying to warn everybody about.

Walter Williams is another one who has said that there is no justification of any kind for slavery or racial discrimination or segregation and nobody with any sense of freedom, justice, or morality would advocate or defend any of those things. But he fully acknowledges that he personally has benefitted enormously because somebody dragged his ancesters over here as slaves. If they had not he would most likely be an relatively uneducated, impoverished nobody living in constant terror under threat by some savage warlord. The Civil Rights battles have been fought and won and it is now time for all people of all races to take advantage of the freedoms and opportunities available to all. He personally is owed no reparations or special considerations of any kind. He is not advocating racial oppression or discrimination in any form with that point of view.

His recent column: "Is Obama Ready for America?" provides food for thought.
http://www.sj-r.com/opinion/stories/27554.asp
0 Replies