Ticomaya

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:19 pm
Quote:
March 27, 2008
A Speech Obama Could Have Given
By Victor Davis Hanson

Had Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., just said the following words last week in his speech on race in America, his problems with his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, would probably now be over:

"You have all heard the racist and anti-American outbursts of my pastor Rev. Wright. They are all inexcusable. His speeches have forced me to re-examine my long association with Trinity United Church of Christ. And so it is with regret that I must now leave that church.

"I had heard similar extremist language of Rev. Wright in the past, and now apologize that I did not earlier end my attendance and contributions. Had I long ago expressed my strong objections to Rev. Wright's views, such opposition might have suggested to him a more moderate path.

"But any good that now might come by remaining steadfast to Rev. Wright in consideration of our long past friendship is outweighed by the damage that would accrue from the sanction of his extremism that my continued attendance at his church might convey.

"I have loyalty aplenty, but it is to the truth, my country and universal tolerance, not to any one friend, however long and close our association.

"Allegations that America helped to cause -- and thus deserved -- 9/11 and that the U.S. government engineered the AIDS epidemic, as well as the pastor's slurs against 'white people' and Secretary of State Condeleezza Rice, are not reflective of the views of mainstream black America and they have no place in any house of Christian worship.

"It would be easy to claim that Rev. Wright's biases are no different from those voiced on occasion by our own family members, our pastors or political leaders in the public eye and therefore not so injurious to America. That defense of false equivalence, that 'others do it all the time,' is a common one offered by those who offend the public sensibility.

"It would also be easy to excuse my pastor's outbursts by citing the long tragic history of the African-American experience. After all, every extremist outburst always has a particular and perhaps mitigating context.

"And finally it would be easy to suggest that the special landscape of the black church allows a sort of venting and role-playing unlike other common venues in America. It has often been a refuge from white oppression and a place to make sense of the tragic history of race relations that plague us still. That and the good that Rev. Wright has done could also be an extenuating circumstance.

"But neither Pastor Wright nor I -- a candidate for the presidency of the United States -- can afford to find refuge in any of these relativist explanations. To do so would not merely exempt the statements of Rev. Wright from proper censure, but also would have the effect of offering endorsement to them. Here is why we must not and will not do that:

"First, today's America has evolved into a multiracial society unlike anytime in our long history. Each of America's groups has unique grievances, based on their own past ordeals.

"So now more than ever in American history, there is need to establish a universal, absolute standard of public discourse in which no individual or group claims extenuating circumstances to demonize other Americans. Otherwise, the bar will have been lowered -- and Rev. Wright will be followed by merchants of hate of every sort, each citing his allowance as a pass for his own hate speech.

"Second, we are in our fifth decade since the landmark civil-rights legislation of the 1960s. And while the African-American community has made enormous strides, it still has not achieved parity with either the white majority or some other minorities. The reasons are complex, but they cannot be simply reduced to white racism or the purported pathologies of the United States as Rev. Wright supposed. We African-Americans must be as vigilant in demanding an equality of opportunity for all Americans as in ensuring that crime, illegitimacy, drug use and the failure to finish high school are no higher in the African-American community than in others.

"Third, Americans were appalled, as was I, at my minister cursing the United States. But we must always appreciate the unique nature of America, an experiment that unites a multiplicity of religions, races and ethnicities, and endures only to the degree we all adhere to a common set of values. We must never think that because the United States has sometimes not been perfect, it is not good.

"The hard work of creating and improving the United States required centuries; the easier task of tearing apart America can be done in a generation. But neither you nor I can or will allow that to happen. Thank you, and God bless the United States."
0 Replies

real life

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:33 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
Looks like even the A2K closet racists have tired of the Wright nonsense.

Since I'm not a racist, I haven't tired of pointing out that Jeremiah Wright, James Cone and James Meeks are.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:35 pm
This one is self-explanatory from the WSJ:

Democrats Are Tied in New Poll

By JACKIE CALMES
March 27, 2008; Page A8

WASHINGTON -- The racially charged debate over Barack Obama's relationship with his longtime pastor hasn't much changed his close contest against Hillary Clinton, or hurt him against Republican nominee-in-waiting John McCain, according to a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:44 pm
Radical
Reaction
Reason
Reality are the words that come into my mind when i read about racial reaction
Rama fuchs
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 11:59 pm
http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v193/18/84/1701931/n1701931_32400023_7737.jpg

:wink:
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 12:20 am
You know I was thinking about the whole Wright thing today, and then I realized that the craziest things this guy says are the parts about Christianity.

In fact, most preachers say these things.

Any individual who represents the extreme idea of Christian mythology is on par with each other. It doesn't matter if they talk to McCain, Obama, or Clinton.

If you say that woman came from a rib. You're crazy, and just about everything you say after that is of no real merit.

I say that all three candidates are equally crazy in this regaurd.

I'd also like to note that had Obama (or any other candidate) been an Atheist, he would recieve more scrutiny than having been close to Rev Wright.

T
K
O
0 Replies

real life

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 12:52 am
Quote:
WASHINGTON (AP) - White House hopeful Barack Obama suggests he would have left his Chicago church had his longtime pastor, whose fiery anti-American comments about U.S. foreign policy and race relations threatened Obama's campaign, not stepped down.

Had the reverend not retired, and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying at the church,'' Obama said Thursday during a taping of the ABC talk show, ``The View.''

Has Wright retracted or apologized for ANYTHING he has said? Certainly seems to be the impression[/u][/i] Obama is trying to give, without saying it. (hmmmm what's it called when you deliberately leave a false impression? oh, it's .......um.....called.......................)

I can't say that I've seen any indication that Wright 'acknowledges' that any of his remarks were 'inappropriate' or that he has 'mischaracterized' anything.

But Obama is still trying to answer questions about the Wright debacle because even folks like Juan Williams are saying Obama hasn't answered the questions that people have.

Another indication that this isn't going away:

Quote:
0 Replies

Miller

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 01:14 am
blueflame1 wrote:
Obama-Bloomberg Ticket? MSNBC Points Out Potential
MSNBC | March 27, 2008 09:25 AM

The idea of a Jewish running mate might end up making more and more sense for Obama as the summer wears on.

One Black Obama + one Jew => A sure win for McCain

One Black VP ( not Obama) + Hillary => A sure win for Hillary :wink:
0 Replies

teenyboone

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:29 am
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
That's funny coming from a known bigot like you.

Excuse me? "Known bigot" like me? What the hell are you talking about?

The reason this country is divisive is because of PEOPLE EXACTLY LIKE YOU!

Go back and review the early history of your people, in North America, review whether they ever paid the Indians for anything other than Manhatten, which they stole too, trace your economic beginnings, i.e., were your ancestors poor white, wealthy or in the middle, the predjudice YOU were obviously taught at home, your obvious "entitlement syndrome", feel like all Blacks should a: be shipped back to Africa, b: be thrown back into slavery or c: all placed in jail! So now, which are you? Did you pass your self-examination test? Do you blame us for feeling the way we feel about people like you, given your history or do you blame the victim, as usual? BTW, how many Blacks do you have as friends, that you invite over for dinner?
0 Replies

teenyboone

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 05:41 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Quote:
March 27, 2008
A Speech Obama Could Have Given
By Victor Davis Hanson

Had Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill., just said the following words last week in his speech on race in America, his problems with his former pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, would probably now be over:

"You have all heard the racist and anti-American outbursts of my pastor Rev. Wright. They are all inexcusable. His speeches have forced me to re-examine my long association with Trinity United Church of Christ. And so it is with regret that I must now leave that church.

"I had heard similar extremist language of Rev. Wright in the past, and now apologize that I did not earlier end my attendance and contributions. Had I long ago expressed my strong objections to Rev. Wright's views, such opposition might have suggested to him a more moderate path.

"But any good that now might come by remaining steadfast to Rev. Wright in consideration of our long past friendship is outweighed by the damage that would accrue from the sanction of his extremism that my continued attendance at his church might convey.

"I have loyalty aplenty, but it is to the truth, my country and universal tolerance, not to any one friend, however long and close our association.

"Allegations that America helped to cause -- and thus deserved -- 9/11 and that the U.S. government engineered the AIDS epidemic, as well as the pastor's slurs against 'white people' and Secretary of State Condeleezza Rice, are not reflective of the views of mainstream black America and they have no place in any house of Christian worship.

"It would be easy to claim that Rev. Wright's biases are no different from those voiced on occasion by our own family members, our pastors or political leaders in the public eye and therefore not so injurious to America. That defense of false equivalence, that 'others do it all the time,' is a common one offered by those who offend the public sensibility.

"It would also be easy to excuse my pastor's outbursts by citing the long tragic history of the African-American experience. After all, every extremist outburst always has a particular and perhaps mitigating context.

"And finally it would be easy to suggest that the special landscape of the black church allows a sort of venting and role-playing unlike other common venues in America. It has often been a refuge from white oppression and a place to make sense of the tragic history of race relations that plague us still. That and the good that Rev. Wright has done could also be an extenuating circumstance.

"But neither Pastor Wright nor I -- a candidate for the presidency of the United States -- can afford to find refuge in any of these relativist explanations. To do so would not merely exempt the statements of Rev. Wright from proper censure, but also would have the effect of offering endorsement to them. Here is why we must not and will not do that:

"First, today's America has evolved into a multiracial society unlike anytime in our long history. Each of America's groups has unique grievances, based on their own past ordeals.

"So now more than ever in American history, there is need to establish a universal, absolute standard of public discourse in which no individual or group claims extenuating circumstances to demonize other Americans. Otherwise, the bar will have been lowered -- and Rev. Wright will be followed by merchants of hate of every sort, each citing his allowance as a pass for his own hate speech.

"Second, we are in our fifth decade since the landmark civil-rights legislation of the 1960s. And while the African-American community has made enormous strides, it still has not achieved parity with either the white majority or some other minorities. The reasons are complex, but they cannot be simply reduced to white racism or the purported pathologies of the United States as Rev. Wright supposed. We African-Americans must be as vigilant in demanding an equality of opportunity for all Americans as in ensuring that crime, illegitimacy, drug use and the failure to finish high school are no higher in the African-American community than in others.

"Third, Americans were appalled, as was I, at my minister cursing the United States. But we must always appreciate the unique nature of America, an experiment that unites a multiplicity of religions, races and ethnicities, and endures only to the degree we all adhere to a common set of values. We must never think that because the United States has sometimes not been perfect, it is not good.

"The hard work of creating and improving the United States required centuries; the easier task of tearing apart America can be done in a generation. But neither you nor I can or will allow that to happen. Thank you, and God bless the United States."

Yeah,
A white right-winger, speaking for African Americans, typed with his manicured hands and has never done a day's work in HIS life! Get a hint, and stop posting this garbage, passing for journalism! How dare HE and YOU!

Here's a link to this right winger, who writes for the far right winged National Review
http://www.victorhanson.com/Author/index.html
Twisted Evil
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:03 am
Ticomaya, according to the polls a majority of the people accepted the speech Obama did give so I don't think he needs speech writing advice from anyone.

RWN's 2nd Victor Davis Hanson Interview

You may as well ask the chicken to take advice from the fox.
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 06:18 am
Senator Casey endorses Obama

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Sen. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania endorsed on Friday Barack Obama's campaign for the Democratic nomination for president in a boost for the Illinois senator.

Obama aides said Casey would appear later at an Obama campaign event in Pennsylvania, where the candidate is vying with New York Sen. Hillary Clinton for support in the April 22 primary election.

Casey also would join part of Obama's six-day bus tour across the state, due to start in Pittsburgh, they said.

Endorsements by politicians state can bolster a candidate's credibility in a state with a specific section of the electorate, although their precise impact on voters is often unclear.

"The endorsement comes as something of a surprise," Dan Pfeiffer, Obama deputy communications director, said in a statement. "Casey ... had been adamant about remaining neutral until after the April 22 primary. He said he wanted to help unify the party."

"Obama strategists hope Casey can help their candidate make inroads with the white working-class men who are often referred to as 'Casey Democrats,'" Pfeiffer said, adding that the group is liberal on economic issues, supportive of gun rights and opposed to abortion.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:04 am
revel wrote:
Ticomaya, according to the polls a majority of the people accepted the speech Obama did give so I don't think he needs speech writing advice from anyone.

RWN's 2nd Victor Davis Hanson Interview

Thanks Revel,
Just consider the source. Caveat Emptor; "Let the buyer, beware"! :wink:
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 07:54 am
teenyboone wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
teenyboone wrote:
That's funny coming from a known bigot like you.

Excuse me? "Known bigot" like me? What the hell are you talking about?

The reason this country is divisive is because of PEOPLE EXACTLY LIKE YOU!

Go back and review the early history of your people, in North America,

Excuse me? "My" people? Who are "my" people?

Quote:
... review whether they ever paid the Indians for anything other than Manhatten, which they stole too, trace your economic beginnings, i.e., were your ancestors poor white, wealthy or in the middle, the predjudice YOU were obviously taught at home, your obvious "entitlement syndrome", feel like all Blacks should a: be shipped back to Africa, b: be thrown back into slavery or c: all placed in jail! So now, which are you? Did you pass your self-examination test?

Wait ... you called me a bigot. No .. you called me a "known bigot." I asked you to explain yourself, and you recite history, some bullshit that my "obvious 'entitlement syndrome'," and that you think I harbor feelings that Blacks should either all be shipped to Africa, enslaved, or jailed. You appear to think I'm a "known bigot" because of the color of my skin. You are completely clueless, aren't you?

When you express that view, you make known your own prejudice against one race of people.

You apparently live your poor little life convinced that "whitey" is out to get you because he was born a bigot.

Quote:
Do you blame us for feeling the way we feel about people like you, given your history or do you blame the victim, as usual?

Again, who are "people like you"?

I blame you for your own thoughts and beliefs. You are a free moral agent, and you believe what you want to believe. You are a racist by your own choice. If one were to buy your bullshit, one could certainly justify their own racist beliefs. The white supremacist could probably identify a list of things the black man has done to justify his hatred of them; the anti-Semite could no doubt draft a list as well. You think your prejudice and racial bias is justified because of past historical injustices?

Do you honestly believe you are not racist? Can you apply your self-examination test to yourself, and reach any other conclusion? Because based on the postings of yours that I have seen, you are very clearly a racist, and a bigot ... I am neither.

Quote:
BTW, how many Blacks do you have as friends, that you invite over for dinner?

I don't invite any of my friends over for dinner. And I've never done an inventory of their skin color.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:09 am
And yet many of the Obama supporters on this forum cannot bring themselves to admit that Wright said anything inappropriate.

Quote:
Obama: Had Wright not retired, I'd have left church

(CNN) -- Sen. Barack Obama says in an interview scheduled to air on TV Friday that he would have left his church if his pastor had not retired and had not acknowledged making comments that "deeply offended people."

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8333/artobamawrighthoapqv9.jpg

Trinity United Church of Christ released this 2005 photo of Barack Obama and Jeremiah Wright.

Obama talked about the dispute as it continued to brew over some of the Rev. Jeremiah Wright's sermons and comments, which many viewed as anti-American and racist toward whites.

Bulletins from Chicago's Trinity United Church of Christ in 2007 include comments -- reprinted from other sources -- that maintain South Africa and Israel worked on "an ethnic bomb that kills blacks and Arabs." They also quote a historian who said that "what the Zionist Jews did to the Palestinians is worse than what the Nazis did to the Jews."

The articles appeared in a church bulletin section called the "Pastor's Page," and include one that originally ran in The Los Angeles Times. That article was written by a senior official with Hamas, which the U.S. government considers a terrorist organization.

Obama denounced the articles this week, telling the Jerusalem Post that the church was "outrageously wrong" in reprinting the pieces.

In an interview scheduled to air Friday on ABC's "The View" -- excerpts of which aired on CNN on Thursday night -- Obama talks about Wright's reaction to the controversy.

"Had the reverend not retired and had he not acknowledged that what he had said had deeply offended people and were inappropriate and mischaracterized what I believe is the greatness of this country, for all its flaws, then I wouldn't have felt comfortable staying there at the church," the senator said.

Wright retired earlier this year, before events erupted.

Obama also said on the ABC talk show that he has spoken with Wright since the uproar over the pastor's comments.

"I think he's saddened by what's happened, and I told him I feel badly that he has been characterized just in this one way and people haven't seen the broader aspect of him," Obama said.

Mark Halperin of Time magazine told CNN's Anderson Cooper on Thursday night that aides to the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain, believe the controversy will give their candidate an opening if Obama becomes the Democratic nominee.

"If you talk to McCain's people about it, they are -- choose your metaphor -- licking their chops," he said. "They believe that if this does not derail his chances of becoming the Democratic nominee, it will be invaluable to them in gaining support among key constituencies -- that's code for white voters -- in the general election."

Even so, polls show that Democrats believe that Obama has responded very well, CNN's Jessica Yellin reported. She cited a Thursday poll showing Obama with a 10-point lead over his rival, Sen. Hillary Clinton. Yellin said polls showed that "Obama appeared to rise in Democrats' estimation after the controversy -- after he addressed the Wright controversy."

Obama leads Clinton in the race for the Democratic nomination, with 1,622 delegates compared with 1,485 for Clinton, according to CNN estimates. A candidate needs 2,024 delegates to win.

One of the church bulletins that came to the fore Thursday, from July 22, 2007, includes an article by Mousa Abu Marzook, deputy of the political bureau of Hamas. "Why should anyone concede Israel's 'right' to exist?" he wrote.

Another bulletin, from June 10, 2007, contains on the "Pastor's Page" an "Open Letter to Oprah" by Ali Baghdadi, an Arab-American activist. He refers to "Israeli death squads" in a letter urging Oprah Winfrey to explore Palestinian suffering on a trip to the Middle East.

"Arnold Toynbee, the world-renowned historian, stated that what the Zionist Jews did to the Palestinians is worse than what the Nazis did to the Jews, because, as he stated, Jews should have learned from their tragic experience," Baghdadi wrote.

Wright's old sermons came under fire after a news report turned some of his most contentious comments into a YouTube phenomenon.

In one, the minister said America had brought the September 11 attacks upon itself. In another, he said Clinton had an advantage over Obama because she is white. He also accused the U.S. government of adopting policies to systematically oppress African-Americans.
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
One thing I have always admired about Rice; she has never denied the difficulities blacks face in America. In the past she has favored Affirmative Action.

Rice hits U.S. 'birth defect'

Rice says race can be 'one factor' in considering admissions

So while I think you can too far in reverse bigotry; you can not deny that Blacks have more of a history and cause for anger and resentment.

However; Obama wants us all to talk about that but to find a way to move forward from it. Perhaps he can talk about in an objective manner because none of his relatives have come over here in chains but since he is a black man in America with a mixed heritage and even a father from Africa; and a mother who is white; I think he has the background to embrace all sides of the issues adn he showed it in his speech.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:12 am
Borrowing a line from Revel:

For those posters, who foment hatred and prejudice, in a country that professes, "Freedom and Justice", for ALL! Confused
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:16 am
teenyboone wrote:
Yeah,
A white right-winger, speaking for African Americans, typed with his manicured hands and has never done a day's work in HIS life! Get a hint, and stop posting this garbage, passing for journalism! How dare HE and YOU!

Your anger at anyone with white skin is palpable.

I remember distinctly you being cross with eoe ... until you learned her skin color ... and then you became fast friends.
0 Replies

revel

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:19 am
I have said all along that I thought Wright's comments were wrong. Obama has also said in the past few weeks; that he disagreed with Wright's more inflammatory remarks but since he was retiring he didn't see a need to leave the church; so nothing new there; Tico.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Fri 28 Mar, 2008 08:20 am
Reposted ... (nappy posted this earlier in this thread).

This is not a white man writing this article. He may have manicured hands, but you cannot be angry with him because of the color of his skin, teenybone:

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9489/thomassowellcf8.jpg

Quote:
March 25, 2008
The Audacity of Rhetoric
By Thomas Sowell

It is painful to watch defenders of Barack Obama tying themselves into knots trying to evade the obvious.

Some are saying that Senator Obama cannot be held responsible for what his pastor, Jeremiah Wright, said. In their version of events, Barack Obama just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time -- and a bunch of mean-spirited people are trying to make something out of it.

It makes a good story, but it won't stand up under scrutiny.

Barack Obama's own account of his life shows that he consciously sought out people on the far left fringe. In college, "I chose my friends carefully," he said in his first book, "Dreams From My Father."

These friends included "Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk rock performance poets" -- in Obama's own words -- as well as the "more politically active black students." He later visited a former member of the terrorist Weatherman underground, who endorsed him when he ran for state senator.

Obama didn't just happen to encounter Jeremiah Wright, who just happened to say some way out things. Jeremiah Wright is in the same mold as the kinds of people Barack Obama began seeking out in college -- members of the left, anti-American counter-culture.

In Shelby Steele's brilliantly insightful book about Barack Obama -- "A Bound Man" -- it is painfully clear that Obama was one of those people seeking a racial identity that he had never really experienced in growing up in a white world. He was trying to become a convert to blackness, as it were -- and, like many converts, he went overboard.

Nor has Obama changed in recent years. His voting record in the U.S. Senate is the furthest left of any Senator. There is a remarkable consistency in what Barack Obama has done over the years, despite inconsistencies in what he says.

The irony is that Obama's sudden rise politically to the level of being the leading contender for his party's presidential nomination has required him to project an entirely different persona, that of a post-racial leader who can heal divisiveness and bring us all together.

The ease with which he has accomplished this chameleon-like change, and entranced both white and black Democrats, is a tribute to the man's talent and a warning about his reliability.

There is no evidence that Obama ever sought to educate himself on the views of people on the other end of the political spectrum, much less reach out to them. He reached out from the left to the far left. That's bringing us all together?

Is "divisiveness" defined as disagreeing with the agenda of the left? Who on the left was ever called divisive by Obama before that became politically necessary in order to respond to revelations about Jeremiah Wright?

One sign of Obama's verbal virtuosity was his equating a passing comment by his grandmother -- "a typical white person," he says -- with an organized campaign of public vilification of America in general and white America in particular, by Jeremiah Wright.

Since all things are the same, except for the differences, and different except for the similarities, it is always possible to make things look similar verbally, however different they are in the real world.

Among the many desperate gambits by defenders of Senator Obama and Jeremiah Wright is to say that Wright's words have a "resonance" in the black community.

There was a time when the Ku Klux Klan's words had a resonance among whites, not only in the South but in other states. Some people joined the KKK in order to advance their political careers. Did that make it OK? Is it all just a matter of whose ox is gored?

While many whites may be annoyed by Jeremiah Wright's words, a year from now most of them will probably have forgotten about him. But many blacks who absorb his toxic message can still be paying for it, big-time, for decades to come.

Why should young blacks be expected to work to meet educational standards, or even behavioral standards, if they believe the message that all their problems are caused by whites, that the deck is stacked against them? That is ultimately a message of hopelessness, however much audacity it may have.
0 Replies