cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm
From Rueters:

Democratic race over? Clinton doesn't think so

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent
2 hours, 45 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Somebody forgot to tell Hillary Clinton the Democratic presidential race is over and Barack Obama won.

Obama has captured more state contests, more votes and more of the pledged convention delegates who will help decide which Democrat faces Republican Sen. John McCain in November's presidential election.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:34 pm
Thomas wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, I studied church law at university, and quite a few of my history (university) exams were church history related as well :wink:

I never studied "church law." Sounds fascinating.

It's called "canon law" in English. On a broader note, if you can't hold your sarcasm about Walter's translations of German terms into English, I'm sure he'll be happy to continue this thread in German. I certainly will. Just an offer.

The right has to attack Walter on his English; he's multilingual which says more about his detractors than what Walter says.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 12:38 pm
Good thing for Hillary the media finally proved she wasn't ducking bullets in Bosnia. If it had gone on one more day I heard she was gonna say she took shrapnel that day.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:03 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, I studied church law at university, and quite a few of my history (university) exams were church history related as well :wink:

I never studied "church law." Sounds fascinating.

It's called "canon law" in English. On a broader note, if you can't hold your sarcasm about Walter's translations of German terms into English, I'm sure he'll be happy to continue this thread in German. I certainly will. Just an offer.

The right has to attack Walter on his English; he's multilingual which says more about his detractors than what Walter says.

Eh? I wasn't addressing Walter's translations or his English. I was addressing the subject matter.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:04 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Good thing for Hillary the media finally proved she wasn't ducking bullets in Bosnia. If it had gone on one more day I heard she was gonna say she took shrapnel that day.

I heard she threw her Purple Heart away at a ceremony at the White House.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:07 pm
I studied 'Kirchenrecht' ('church law'), Professor Mikat ("ordentlicher Professor für Bürgerliches Recht, Rechtsgeschichte und Kirchenrecht").

'Canon Law' is just the law of the Roman Catholic Church.
I don't know the English term for 'kirchenrecht' (church law) of the Evangelical Church, I admit. (In Dutch, it's similar to the German term: Kerkrecht.)

If I had finished my law studies with a doctorate, that would have been a "Dr.iur.utr." = doctor iuris utriusque = doctor of both laws.
(It's mainly and mostly focused on canon law, though :wink: )
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:26 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
Eh? I wasn't addressing Walter's translations or his English. I was addressing the subject matter.

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification, and sorry I misunderstood you.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:40 pm
Thomas wrote:
Ticomaya wrote:

Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification, and sorry I misunderstood you.

Me too!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 01:52 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I don't know the English term for 'kirchenrecht' (church law) of the Evangelical Church, I admit. (In Dutch, it's similar to the German term: Kerkrecht.)

Protestant ecclesiastical law Embarrassed
0 Replies

okie

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:05 pm
I just finished reading approximately the last dozen pages of this thread, to catch up on things, whew, how uplifting, isn't it all wonderful?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:24 pm
You can just feel the love, can't you.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:26 pm
A warm embrace has nothing on this thread.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:27 pm
It's a nice construction you guys have created.

Candidate wants to raise the bar and have less political sniping.

Opponents pick fights and arguments in threads supporting that candidate.

Opponents then decry the lack of unity created by the candidate.

---

/not so much

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:31 pm
I don't think anyone was referring to the canadidate so much as the people voicing their opinions about the candidate and his competition.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:41 pm
McGentrix wrote:
I don't think anyone was referring to the canadidate so much as the people voicing their opinions about the candidate and his competition.

There's no substantive difference between the BS you fellows spew about Liberals in this thread then any other thread on A2K. So the original comment by Okie is meaningless.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

old europe

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:43 pm
Whatever. Freedom of speech and all.

I think it's way better to have obvious opponents ask, again and again, "pertinent" questions "that will need to be answered" - even after the questions have been answered.

They'll know whether they're really here to ask valid question, or if they have other motives.

At any rate, I think it's better than the alternative - trying to stifle dissent, to tell people "get lost, you're not a supporter of this candidate, we don't want dissent here, you're all just trolls, go and start your own thread".
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 02:46 pm
old europe wrote:
Whatever. Freedom of speech and all.

I think it's way better to have obvious opponents ask, again and again, "pertinent" questions "that will need to be answered" - even after the questions have been answered.

They'll know whether they're really here to ask valid question, or if they have other motives.

At any rate, I think it's better than the alternative - trying to stifle dissent, to tell people "get lost, you're not a supporter of this candidate, we don't want dissent here, you're all just trolls, go and start your own thread".

I just checked for a full moon. There isn't one tonight. Which makes it all the more remarkable that I almost agree with part of, okay even most of, what OE is saying here. Smile

Just goes to show ya that almost anything is possible.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:10 pm
Obama Gains in NC

With Clinton looking past Pennsylvania to North Carolina and Indiana, it's tough to see how she can win the Tarheel state.

Insider Advantage. 3/26. Likely voters. MoE 5% (No trend lines)

Obama 49
Clinton 34

"Firewall state" has been the king of clichés during this campaign season, but that term has never applied more than North Carolina does for Clinton. If she loses badly here, regardless of any modest gains in the national delegate count, her candidacy may be done unless her primary victories in Florida and Michigan somehow end up being seated at the national nominating convention.

Most troubling for Clinton is that the trends in our polling of North Carolina show that a modest but significant portion of whites are drifting from Clinton back into the "undecided" column. Twenty percent of whites are undecided."

The problem for Clinton is that for the Democratic primary, the white vote will be skewed heavily by the Research Triangle's "creative class" -- educated professionals who make up a significant chunk of Obama's base. Obama has cleaned up similar places like Seattle, the SF Bay Area, and Austin. Clinton will lose it big. And given that African Americans are expected to make up a third of the primary electorate, I'm seeing a 20-point Obama victory in NC.

Indiana, split between the half that's sort of like Illinois, and the other half that's sort of like Ohio, is more fertile ground for Clinton. But North Carolina? Not a chance.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:16 pm
PRINCETON, NJ -- Barack Obama has edged up in the preferences of national Democratic voters, and now has a 48% to 44% advantage over Hillary Clinton. Gallup Daily Tracking Poll.

Reuters: Stick a Fork in Hillary, She is Done

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent Thu Mar 27, 11:45 AM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Somebody forgot to tell Hillary Clinton the Democratic presidential race is over and Barack Obama won.
ADVERTISEMENT

Obama has captured more state contests, more votes and more of the pledged convention delegates...
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 04:40 pm
The text of today's speech on the economy by Barack Obama can be found here:

http://www.barackobama.com/2008/03/27/remarks_of_senator_barack_obam_54.php

And the video here:
0 Replies