teenyboone

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 05:53 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
This racist charge against Wright is just utter horseshit. At worst, he mway have siad some things that might to some people be construed as racist. But if every white person (or black person for that matter) who said something racist was deemed a racist, most all of us would be considered racists. As far as I am concerned, if wingnuts like McG and surreal life want to hold an opinon that Wright is a racist. Fine. That is their opinion. But don't claim that the media is portraying him as such or even suggest that that is the mainstream view.

For the record: A racist, is a person, who believes that one race is superior to another.

A bigot, is a person who believes in a set opinion, that statements or actions against another race are justifiable. That it's okay to abuse, deny and prevent one race from ascending to equal treatment, of one's self, by another or group.

Anyone can have an opinion, but if that opinion makes exceptions to people/groups, based on race and an action is taken denying a person of any color, you are practicing a form of racism, denying a person access to lodging, food, jobs, housing and other forms of known denial to access.

The above is for those who hurl labels on those they know nothing about, based on assumptions. Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:03 am
Quote:
What I see in this forum, is a lot of racial rhetoric, stereotyping, assumptions and accepting the sound-bytes, given by Faux News, talk show bigots, as "Gospel", you will get, the government you deserve! Posters claiming to not be bigoted, but state a bigoted case, because this is what YOU believe, rather than the truth! But it's okay! Smile in a Black person's face and try to engage them and see what you'll get. As for me, I'll be stone-faced, if approached by any of you, because where I live, you're here, too, always probing Black people about their opinions, when you don't really give a schitt!

Quote:
A bigot, is a person who believes in a set opinion, that statements or actions against another race are justifiable.

teenyboone- From your quotes, might I infer that you consider yourself a bigot????
0 Replies

teenyboone

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:08 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
What I see in this forum, is a lot of racial rhetoric, stereotyping, assumptions and accepting the sound-bytes, given by Faux News, talk show bigots, as "Gospel", you will get, the government you deserve! Posters claiming to not be bigoted, but state a bigoted case, because this is what YOU believe, rather than the truth! But it's okay! Smile in a Black person's face and try to engage them and see what you'll get. As for me, I'll be stone-faced, if approached by any of you, because where I live, you're here, too, always probing Black people about their opinions, when you don't really give a schitt!

Quote:
A bigot, is a person who believes in a set opinion, that statements or actions against another race are justifiable.

teenyboone- From your quotes, might I infer that you consider yourself a bigot????

You can INFER anything you like! What are YOU?

Subject: God Damn America - Especially Pennsylvania

Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:12:25 -0400
Subject: God Damn America - Especially Pennsylvania

GOD DAMN AMERICA - ESPECIALLY PENNSYLVANIA
By Greg Palast

[Sunday, March 23, 2008, Forest City, PA ]

The kids were snoozing so I drove along the back roads skirting the Lackawanna River on a dawn hunt for black coffee and a newspaper.

I think even Norman Rockwell would have found this place too sticky sweet, too postcard: the weathered barns, the fallow fields perfectly snow-frosted; red, white and blue flags already up on the clapboard farmhouses and the white-washed church in the valley already full for Easter prayers.

At a gas station, I scored the paper and coffee, spilled some on the front page - the closest thing I've got to a religious ritual - then parked in front of a row of insanely pretty salt-box houses shining like mad teeth on the river bank.
One was missing a pick-up in the driveway; its screen door was left half-open, and there was a letter taped to the window. The Sheriff's Notice of eviction. Another foreclosure.

God damn America.

I know that's what Obama's spiritual guide would say.

But why? It seems likes He's already done a pretty good job of damning these United States.

And He seems to have really taken it out on this corner of Pennsylvania.

The gargantuan Bethlehem steel works have dwindled to a few robot-operated mills controlled from Mumbai, India. The only remainders of nearby Carbondale's mining industry are in display cases at the ageing Coal Inn. But you could still get out by selling your home to ski tourists from New York - until this year when mortgage markets turned cancerous.

That leaves Forest City's one industry, lumbering - which we can kiss goodbye since a recent ruling by the NAFTA board which allows the import of cheap Canadian wood.

Some local kid has made the paper having been thrown, helmet first, into the volcano called Iraq. The Scranton Times-Tribune, two pages after the photo of a priest blessing a bowl of who knows what, noted that three soldiers killed in yesterday's bombing are, "pushing the death toll in the five-year conflict to nearly 4,000" - which is true if you don't count Iraqi dead. But Someone must be counting them. (From way up in heaven, I wonder if we look like a nation of Christians - or an empire of Romans.)

Phil Ochs, before he killed himself, wrote,

"This is a land full of power and glory,
Beauty that words cannot recall.
But her power shall rest on the strength of her freedom.
Her glory shall rest on us all."

Whatever. It's a difficult place to be an atheist, in this America, surfeited as it is on every vista with signs of His overwhelming grace and His exasperated wrath. It's as if the Lord Himself is just as confused and frustrated and disappointed as the rest of us by blessings so abused.

There's one consolation. He has apparently granted Pennsylvanians the privilege, come April 22, of choosing which Democrat will lose in November.

Which may not mean much to Sandy Ryder on whom the spirit of Easter has landed like a ton of bricks. Sandy, says the flyer tacked up at the Bingham diner, was, "Recently diagnosed with Inflammatory Breast Cancer." She's a, "Single mother of two - Tony and Brandon - and Grandmother of one - Jason."

And there they were in a photocopied portrait, the earnest elder son and little Jason to her right, the young slacker (Tony? Brandon?) slouched to her left. The town's hawking a benefit for Sandy, $10 at the door, "including Food and Beverage" and a "Chinese auction."

(I'll bet Al Qaeda could pick up some recruits here - if Osama would offer health insurance.)

Whatever. This is, after all, Holy Week, which marks the anniversary of the grounding of the Exxon Valdez, the day the giant oil corporation soaked 1,200 miles of Alaska's coast with crude sludge. March 24 marks 19 years since the grounding and 19 years since Exxon's promise to compensate the ruined fishermen. You should watch the 19-year-old video-tape of Exxon's man in Alaska. I especially like the part where he tells the fishermen, "You have had some good luck - and you don't realize it."

I know some of the fishermen on the TV footage, like the Anderson family, Eyak Natives. I can tell you, the Eyak don't feel so lucky, still waiting for the Supreme Court to act on Exxon's latest stall on payment. They've seen plenty of Sheriff's Notices these past 19 years.

So Happy Easter.

George Bush tells us he's, "feeling just fine." And we should be glad for him, I suppose.

Bush ends his most belligerent speeches by saying, "God bless America."

So, why hasn't He?

Maybe you can tell us, Mr. President: Why hasn't He?

Greg Palast is the author of the NY Times best-selling books Armed Madhouse and Best Democracy Money Can Buy. Read his reports at www.GregPalast.com and sign up for the audio podcasts RSS here.

Join Palast's Network on MySpace, on FaceBook or on YouTube.

"Love Your Enemy, It'll Scare The Hell Out Of 'Em"
Mark Twain
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:22 am
Quote:

teenyboone- I am an imperfect human being, who does her best to be as fair minded as possible.

You still have not addressed my question, or is that a question that you don't care to consider? You really don't have to if you prefer, but I then can draw my own inferences.
0 Replies

teenyboone

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:34 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

teenyboone- I am an imperfect human being, who does her best to be as fair minded as possible.

You still have not addressed my question, or is that a question that you don't care to consider? You really don't have to if you prefer, but I then can draw my own inferences.

Am I under oath or something? The same as you, imperfect, but trying. Fair minded? Inferring whatever you like, doesn't say that you are fair minded. Opinionated? Yes! Fair minded is something you tell yourself, that you are. Cool
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:39 am
teenyboone- Apparently, you are still sidestepping my question. Be that as it may, I will not press this issue. If you don't care to answer, so be it!
0 Replies

teenyboone

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:50 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
teenyboone- Apparently, you are still sidestepping my question. Be that as it may, I will not press this issue. If you don't care to answer, so be it!

The same as you, imperfect, but trying. Not good enough? Just what the hell, do you want? A pound of flesh, too? You're the one pressing on me, just as the white media is pressing on Obama! Side stepping is when you AVOID an answer! I've neither side stepped as you call it or avoided it. I met your question, head on. What are you, the question nazi, that if YOU don't like the answer, you become accusatory? Just who the hell are you, anyway? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

McGentrix

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 06:53 am
Shocked

I am pretty sure I heard a finger snap in there.
0 Replies

revel

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:06 am
Quote:

link for WSJ poll can be found at the source
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:14 am
That's some good news, thanks for posting it, revel!
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:37 am
McGentrix wrote:
Shocked

I am pretty sure I heard a finger snap in there.

I think you heard me, as I'm the only perfect one around here!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 07:49 am
teenyboone wrote:
What I see in this forum, is a lot of racial rhetoric, stereotyping, assumptions and accepting the sound-bytes, given by Faux News, talk show bigots, as "Gospel", you will get, the government you deserve! Posters claiming to not be bigoted, but state a bigoted case, because this is what YOU believe, rather than the truth! But it's okay! Smile in a Black person's face and try to engage them and see what you'll get. As for me, I'll be stone-faced, if approached by any of you, because where I live, you're here, too, always probing Black people about their opinions, when you don't really give a schitt! Cool

You have been, and continue to be, one of the more divisive posters regarding race at this site, TB. Most of the racial rhetoric, stereotyping, and assumptions about race I see here, come from you.

"Always probing Black people about their opinions, when you don't really give a schitt!" --- give me a break. Rolling Eyes If I care about your opinion, I'll ask about your opinion. I don't give a crap about your "black" opinion.

The sad part about this is you will likely never realize that it is YOUR attitude that is precisely the attitude you claim to despise.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
When did Rev. Wright call Italian-Americans, "garlic noses"?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:26 am
Billary

The Coffee House
Billary's One-Two Punch Has Changed the Game
By Jim Sleeper - March 26, 2008, 10:45PM

The latest one-two punch from Billary has done it: I hereby call for a third campaign, one that can endure through the general election.

Relax, but just a bit: I don't mean a resurrected John Edwards or a third-party bid like Ralph Nader's or, in fact, any campaign with an actual candidate. I mean a campaign called "The Real Firestorm," a tight, flying wedge of citizen volunteers who, like the best early civil-rights demonstrators, will physically face Bill or Hillary -- or any wayward Obama surrogate or Republican swift-boater or journalist who's helping to gin up the latest "firestorm" or "uproar" - and chant at them, at a photo-op moment, "There you go again! There you go again!"

Ronald Reagan immortalized the charge in a 1980 jab at Jimmy Carter. Here, it would mean, "There you go again, subverting the civic-republican truths and trust we need, not as Democrats but as Americans."

This campaign will need funding and a few charismatic leaders, "conservative" as well as "liberal." But most of all, it'll need strategy and troops capable of waking up enough other people to shame Bill and other swift-boaters into silence. Here's why, and a bit about how.

The one-two punch that brought me to this was, first, Hillary's pronouncement that we can't choose our relatives but we can choose our pastors - another slick truism, typically (that is, badly) calculated to be just behind the Jeremiah Wright curve she hoped to ride; second, there came Bill's comment that he and Hillary aren't "quitters."

I hear you, Bill, but here's the thing, old Buddy: Every time you've opened your mouth this year, you've made me want to quit you and Hill, with a tear in my eye, as I never expected I'd have to do.

See, Bill, you just keep on reminding us that your way of not being a quitter has a certain shameless, Jack-in-the-Box quality to it that the commentator Jack Beatty calls your "tumescent narcissism." It just keeps bouncing back at us, again and again, with a silly grin on its face, just like the Wall Street Journal's gelatinous sleuth-pundit John Fund.

It's gotten so bad, Bill, that you've made me revive my own passing thought of January 30 here at TPM that there ought to be a "There you go again!" campaign against Republican swift-boaters and their neo-con covers such as David Brooks, who, for all his seemingly post-partisan prevarications, is just positioning himself to reel readers in for McCain, when he'll come in for the kill on the Democratic nominee.

You know all about these types, Bill, but now you yourself remind me of them. You make me remember what I told the Washington Post on January 15, when your camp started shuffling the race-card: "Every time these people open their mouths and engage race," I said, "they are greasing the skids for the Republican Swift-boaters and reminding voters of the Democrats' indulgence of racial squabbling."

It got so bad that I had to caution your camp's other shameless Jack-in-the-Box, the Princeton historian Sean Wilentz, Hillary's Arthur Schlesinger Jr.-in-waiting, for his breathakingly underhanded assault on Obama's people as race-baiters. And now you've even got Hillary -- who we all hoped could control you -- into the act herself, trying to keep the Rev. Wright round-robin going.

That does it, Bill. Herewith, an open letter to George Soros and to… Well, I might have said Bill Buckley, were he still with us, but surely some other worthy conservative will step forward.

Please fund a campaign, called something like "The Real Firestorm," that stages photo-op protests that even our perverse and fickle news media can't ignore. Nothing as bad as what the Republicans staged at the Miami Board of Elections in November, 2000, mind you. But almost.Recruit and train thousands of ordinary citizens to show up, physically, and chant "There you go again!" at progenitors of swift-boating and its media enablers.

No matter whether those progenitors are Billary or the new Karl Roves of either party, or the Limbaughs or Drudges, or -and this is important - the supposedly more moderate reporters and columnists, like TIME's Joe Klein or NEWSWEEK'S Evan Thomas and their more plodding emulators in city rooms and bureaus who fan "firestorms" and "uproars" based on little more than press releases or leaks that involve mainly just the players and the journalists.

George Soros himself proposed the "There you go again!" slogan, on a panel I caught on C-Span, very much as I'd proposed it two weeks before him here at TPM.

The purpose of such a civic campaign, as its charismatic public leaders would have to say again and again, would be to make very clear that millions of Americans are gagging on having their politics degraded with these tactics, that we're sick and tired of being stampeded by operators who goose the fears and hatreds latent in most of us.

True enough, it works. I know it rather well. Most Americans, stressed and distracted, can easily be induced to behave as Walter Lippmann said they do in "Manufactured Consent" back in the 1920s: They're easily bum-rushed into "uproars" of one kind or another. At best, Lippmann complained, they're like playgoers who enter a theater during the second act, decide who's the villain and who's the hero, and leave before the final curtain, set in their conclusions.

But Lippmann's insight is exactly the reason we should have this campaign. The country can just as well have a counter-"manufacturing" of consensus about who the villains truly are as it can the stuff we're getting now. With enough backing and strategy, Americans can remind one another, in an effective, well-grounded way, that we're better than those whom "The Real Firestorm" campaign would target and burn, the people who, as consultants, campaign operatives, horse-race political reporters, and power-columnists, are targeting the public for personal interest and/or profit more than for anything else.

When Americans are reminded how much better they want to be, they sometimes do become better. Examples in living memory begin with the early civil-rights movement, which also reminded us that even the best "grass roots" movements require leadership and planning by people with enough resources, savvy, and discipline to revive and mobilize other people's wounded faith.

Too much money and planning is going into the worst alternatives. Yes, Obama's campaign means to be just what I'm calling for. But it can't be. Its preeminent end-game has to be winning institutional power, in a zero-sum game. Obama's deeper end-game -- a better politics for all -- is real, too, but captive to the first goal, inevitably so.

That's where others come in. In a republic, making public life go well has to be some people's primary goal, even beyond winning itself. The counterintuitive truth here is that Americans find and fulfill themselves best -- as members of the early civil-rights did -- by upholding certain values that aren't rewarded in zero-sum games and that, in fact, are degraded and ground under foot there.

The civil-rights demonstrators looked almost foolish at first, or at best, hopeless, in standing by those values against the powerful and sophisticated. So might this campaign: There have been "campaign-fairness" commissions before; New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg may have been calling for that, sincerely even if only secondarily, in his pursuit of other agendas. Not much comes of them.

What all such efforts have lacked is troops and a strategy at least as good as that of the nation's founders, So, let's appeal to Soros or whoever is ready to play Samuel Adams or Gouverneur Morris or Alexander Hamilton: Set up the damned website, already; assemble the strategists, sign up the volunteers, and start taking names of the campaign's targets -- the political operators and journalists who fan the false firestorms in order to keep us from clicking the remote or, indeed, from straying too far from their conglomerate masters' agendas.

Find them. Confront them, as peaceful civil-rights demonstrators confronted Bull Connor and subtler, more charming purveyors of oppression. Insist on crediting them with more decency than they've shown, and ask them why they can't show it.

Surround Hillary on the stump, or Sean Wilentz crossing the Princeton campus, or the neo-con New York Sun publisher Seth Lipsky at his hangout at the Harvard Club of New York, or any number of reporters and columnists who are stoking this perversity. And chant, "There you go again!" Help them and everyone who's watching to understand what's at stake in your doing this. Film it. Make these failed Americans the targets of the only "firestorm" or "uproar" we need more of right now.
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:30 am
Obama's Pastor Slurs Italians in Latest Magazine
By Penny Starr

CNSNews.com Senior Staff Writer
March 26, 2008

(CNSNews.com) - Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., pastor emeritus of Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago where Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) has been a member for two decades, slurred Italians in a piece published in the most recent issue of Trumpet Newsmagazine.

Rev. Jeremiah Wright writes of Jesus' enemies: "(Jesus') enemies had their opinion about Him," Wright wrote in a eulogy of the late scholar Asa Hilliard in the November/December 2007 issue. "The Italians for the most part looked down their garlic noses at the Galileans."

Wright continued, "From the circumstances surrounding Jesus' birth (in a barn in a township that was under the Apartheid Roman government that said his daddy had to be in), up to and including the circumstances surrounding Jesus' death on a cross, a Roman cross, public lynching Italian style. ...

"He refused to be defined by others and Dr. Asa Hilliard also refused to be defined by others. The government runs everything from the White House to the schoolhouse, from the Capitol to the Klan, white supremacy is clearly in charge, but Asa, like Jesus, refused to be defined by an oppressive government because Asa got his identity from an Omnipotent God."

Every issue of the magazine published last year included Wright's column, "The Message," in which he covered a range of subjects, including his views on other African-American churches as expressed in his April 2007 commentary "Facing the Rising Sun."

"In a world that is controlled by white supremacy, in a country that is on its way to hell in a hand basket because of lying politicians, in a culture that still thinks 'white is right' and with young people who do not have a clue as to our story, our history, our legacy or our destiny, we still have African-American Christians who are more concerned about 'bling bling' than about freeing our minds," Wright wrote.

In a nationally broadcast speech on March 18, Obama distanced himself from Wright by saying he "condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy." But Obama also said, "I could no more disown him than I could disown the black community."

According to his federal income tax return for 2006, Obama gave the Trinity United church that year $22,500 in contributions.

The Clinton campaign has not commented on the controversy, but in an interview Tuesday with the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, Hillary Clinton (D-N.Y.) said actions speak louder than words.

"He would not have been my pastor," Clinton said. "You don't choose your family, but you choose what church you want to attend.

"You know, I spoke out against Don Imus (a radio talk show host who was fired for making racially insensitive remarks about black female basketball players at Rutgers University), saying that hate speech was unacceptable in any setting, and I believe that," Clinton said.

"I just think you have to speak out against that. You certainly have to do that, if not explicitly, then implicitly by getting up and moving," she added.

Trumpet Newsmagazine started publication in the 1980s in Chicago and distribution expanded in March 2006 to several other cities, with broader circulation through subscriptions. On the magazine's masthead, Wright is named as the magazine's CEO and Wright's daughter, Jeri Wright, is the publisher.

Requests for comments from Jeri Wright, the magazine's marketing staff, and the Obama campaign were not answered by press time.

The last Trumpet to be published was the November/December edition, a double issue that featured a remembrance of "Pan-Africanist" Hilliard and a profile of Louis Farrakhan, who was the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement "Dr. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr. Trumpeter" award at the magazine's 25th anniversary gala late last year.

Farrakhan has called Judaism a "gutter religion" and said Jews are "bloodsuckers," as reported in The New York Times.

Trumpet Newsmagazine also included myriad articles and regular features geared toward the black community, ranging from health, parenting, music and the arts, to profiles of successful members of the community and tips on everything from dating to spiritual well-being.

Many political observers have said that Obama's speech last week limited the damage of the ongoing Wright controversy, but others say the issue is continuing to hamper his campaign.

"I don't think it's going to go away," Ralph Reed, a long-time conservative activist and political strategist who now runs Century Strategies based in Duluth, Ga., told Cybercast News Service.

"Because while Obama's speech was thoughtful and eloquent, it didn't address the central issue, and that's why he would have someone as such a close spiritual advisor with such extreme views," Reed added.

"Let me be clear," Reed added. "I don't think any candidate should have to answer for the theological views of their pastor, church or denomination. But (Wright's) were not theological views, but political statements."

"I think it's more likely to be a serious issue in the general election, more than in the primaries," Reed said.

CNSNewa.com
0 Replies

Miller

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 08:31 am
And from Farrakhan:

Quote:
Farrakhan has called Judaism a "gutter religion" and said Jews are "bloodsuckers," as reported in The New York Times.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:32 am
Obama-Bloomberg Ticket? MSNBC Points Out Potential
MSNBC | March 27, 2008 09:25 AM

A fall preview: Those who love the Veepstakes will enjoy today's Obama speech, not for the substance but for the person who will introduce him: Michael Bloomberg. While the mayor says he's not endorsing anyone (yet?), this is the second time Bloomberg has given Obama a high profile photo-op (remember the meeting at that diner a few months back?). As for Obama's economic speech, per the campaign, "Obama takes on special interests for housing/economic crisis; lays out principles for new regulatory framework." Obama, himself, previewed the speech on the plane yesterday. "I will be giving some, I will be outlining, my thoughts on the current state of the economy. How we got there and some very specific prescriptions, what helped trigger the financial crisis and the financial problems." But it will be the potential of Obama-Bloomberg that could be the most important take-away. In fact, considering that anti-Israel sentiments being expressed by the Rev. Wright in these newly circulating church bulletins (see Andrea Mitchell's reporting on TODAY below in the Obama section). A fortunate thing for Obama is at least these church bulletins aren't video. The idea of a Jewish running mate might end up making more and more sense for Obama as the summer wears on.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:51 am
Ticomaya wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Well, I studied church law at university, and quite a few of my history (university) exams were church history related as well :wink:

I never studied "church law." Sounds fascinating.

It's called "canon law" in English. On a broader note, if you can't hold your sarcasm about Walter's translations of German terms into English, I'm sure he'll be happy to continue this thread in German. I certainly will. Just an offer.
0 Replies

sozobe

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:53 am
Laughing

I saw that about Bloomberg too, Blueflame. I can't really see it; can you? Among other things, Bloomberg wouldn't add much of anything in the experience department, and I think that's what Obama really needs (and is looking for).
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 27 Mar, 2008 10:56 am
We'll see. Demographically he sure as hell works.

It's been a pretty good week for Obama, actually. A really good week. Hillary's getting slammed in the news, Obama's passed 1 million donations in MARCH ALONE, comments by Reid, Pelosi and other Dem leaders have definitely been supportive of him getting the nod. Several stories about super-delegates either wavering in support of Clinton, or saying that they won't over-turn the Pledged Delegate leader.

All in all, a good week. If you didn't get a chance to see Obama's economic speech today, you should ceck it out - it was a good one.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies