Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:20 pm
sozobe wrote:
Nappy, you're refuting something other than what Roxxanne said, though.

Roxxxanne wrote:
That is just not true. Obama never claimed that he never heard Wright make controversial remarks.

What Obama said in the Huffington Post piece that he only recently learned of the specific remarks that set off this firestorm. He didn't say that he'd never heard Wright make controversial remarks.

Barack Obama wrote:
The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html

He (rightly) decided that leaving it at that was not enough; hence his speech today.

Thanks, soz. This is probably wishful thinking but at this moment in time, it could well be that the Wright dust-up is a net gain for Obama.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:24 pm
sozobe wrote:

Roxxxanne wrote:
That is just not true. Obama never claimed that he never heard Wright make controversial remarks.

What Obama said in the Huffington Post piece that he only recently learned of the specific remarks that set off this firestorm. He didn't say that he'd never heard Wright make controversial remarks.

Barack Obama wrote:
The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html

He (rightly) decided that leaving it at that was not enough; hence his speech today.

In another thread you said:

Quote:
I think the biggest risk out of this is if Obama can somehow be placed at a sermon where Wright said unpleasant things.

And today he (finally) admitted he was in the church when unpleasant things were said by his pastor.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:26 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not a racist, just a moron.

Cycloptichorn

Obama's racist pastor is the moron since he's probably just handed the presidency to John McCain.

If you truly believe that, everyone knows who the real moron is. Smile

This from the 'person' who predicted Obama would win Ohio, Texas and Pennsylvania.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:47 pm
For anyone who wants to see/hear the speech rather than read the transcript, it is now on Youtube.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:56 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Not a racist, just a moron.

Cycloptichorn

Obama's racist pastor is the moron since he's probably just handed the presidency to John McCain.

If you truly believe that, everyone knows who the real moron is. Smile

This from the 'person' who predicted Obama would win Ohio, Texas and Pennsylvania.

Obama did win Texas but I never predicted it, I certainly hoped he would and thought that he would but I never predicted he would win Texas, Ohio and Pennsylvania. In fact,my final post before Texas was that I was worried that he wouldn't win. But he did.

Stop lying.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 02:00 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Roxxxanne wrote:

Barack Obama wrote:

In another thread you said:

Quote:
I think the biggest risk out of this is if Obama can somehow be placed at a sermon where Wright said unpleasant things.

And today he (finally) admitted he was in the church when unpleasant things were said by his pastor.

Are you really the moron they say you are or just intellectually dishonest.sozobe was obviously referring to unpleasant in the context of Wright's soundbite.

Why does this "person" try to distort everything Obama supporters say?
0 Replies

blueflame1

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:01 pm
nappyheadedhohoho, you've had some fun with the Rev. Wright thing. Now Obama has prevailed in a great way. You lose. ho.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:03 pm
Thomas Sowell : Double Life of Barack Obama
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:06 pm
This isn't going away (although I'm sure Obama wishes it would). ABCNews (agent of that vast right-wing conspiracy) has said it has purchased a new batch of Wright's tapes.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:09 pm
So what? It's not Obama making the speeches.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:12 pm
What is "disheartening" is how this country has the mitigated gall to blame a presidential candidate for what a priest said.

We all have fallen into this gutter where the news media gets some information about what a third person said, then make assumptions about the listener's ethics and motives based on what he may have heard in church.

The sewer stinks, and it's called American politics. .
0 Replies

blueflame1

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:13 pm
ho, that might matter if Wright was running for President. He aint. You lose. Obama wins big time.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:14 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It will serve as a reminder that even though he said he wasn't there, he now says he was.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:17 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

It will serve as a reminder that even though he said he wasn't there, he now says he was.

He never said he wasn't there.

It's phuckin' pathetic that this is the best you can do. Seriously.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:19 pm
Thomas Sowell always cracks me up.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:30 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Play the video:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2008/03/obama_multimedia_reckoning_of.html

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/62894.html
0 Replies

blueflame1

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:43 pm
A Bright, Shining Moment
Posted March 18, 2008 | 11:44 AM (EST)
by Jon Robin Baitz

Today we saw and heard a preview of our brightest possible American future in Senator Barack Obama's glorious speech. This, then, is what it means to be presidential. To be moral. To have a real center. To speak honestly, from the heart, for the benefit of all. If there was any doubt about what we have missed in the anti-intellectual, ruthlessly incurious Bush years, and even the slippery Clinton ones (the years of "what is is"), those doubts were laid to rest by Barack Obama's magisterial speech today. A speech in which he distanced himself from a flawed father figure, Reverend Wright, and did so with almost Shakespearian dignity and honor.

"This is it, it's here," I thought while watching Senator Obama lay it on the line. We are finally talking about race. Slavery, Jim Crow, economic enslavement, no FHA loans, the failure of affirmative action, busing, offended whites who match offended blacks in rage and fear. Obama shined a light on the conservative talk show hosts who fan white resentments, and at the same time, did not dismiss the reasons for the resentments. He reminded us that the dreams of black America do not come at the expense of white America.

Email
Print
Comments
Someone running for the highest office in the land finally talked about it -- the dark and secret swamp that we Americans dodge at every possible opportunity. As he finished the searing truth telling, I realized that this was not so much a speech but rather a unifying call to arms, an insistence that American people act on change. This was an order and a prayer from someone worthy of being called Commander in Chief -- an order that as a bruised and bloodied nation we finally discuss that what unites us, as well as that which divides us. So we can grow, together as a people.

Barack Obama's speech, perhaps one of the most important in modern political history pushed us as a people to move beyond race and gender, beyond Democrat and Republican, beyond politics and into reviving the spirit of the nation itself. To talk, to talk at home, at work, at the dinner table. To really finally talk. What a great day, and where else in the world but in the United States? Today I am very proud to be an American.
link
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 03:56 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn

Play the video:
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/news/politics/blog/2008/03/obama_multimedia_reckoning_of.html

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/62894.html

He said he wasn't there when the statements in question - such as the 9/11 comment - were made. He didn't say that he never heard the guy say anything objectionable.

You guys are way out there on a story which has no legs to it whatsoever. It's meaningless.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:01 pm
There are always those who will appeal to the lowest instincts...then you have someone with words that can lift all of us to a higher level of co-operation and of understanding. Those who want to stay at the lowest level will remain there.

I applaud Barack Obama...someone said it was a "speech that will be heard over and over and understood as a one of the greatest speeches" and I am paraphrasing. Jim Wallis, a minister with Sojourners, has called Barack Obama a healer. I do too.

Enough of the racist rhetoric....
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 04:03 pm
Well you can't have it both ways. You can't say that he never said he wasn't there and in the next post say that he said he wasn't there without looking like you're spinning like crazy. It just doesn't wash.
0 Replies