blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:03 pm
cyclo wrote:
Quote:
They know that McCain cannot beat him;

I don't believe this is a given within the strategists of the party/movement. I also don't believe it is a given in reality.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:09 pm
blatham wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:
Part of the problem in trying to figure this out relates to the diversity (such as it is) in the interests of the various modern conservative movement sectors. Clearly, the one thing that does tie them together is the desire to retain existing power. Thus, no matter who the Dem candidate is, they can be counted on to act in a predictable manner...do whatever they deem necessary (pretty much) to win the general. They'll mount sustained attacks on either candidate.

Unfortunately, this describes BOTH parties and BOTH (liberal and conservative) ends of the political spectrum.

For you to say, unless I am misunderstanding you, that only the conservatives do this is to be blind to what really happens.
No matter what party or philosophy is in power, their main objective is to retain that power by doing whatever is neccessary to retain power.

It isn't a matter of party. What you have yet to get your head properly around is how extremist the modern conservative movement is. How non-traditional and non-republican it is.

Thats where I disagree.
The "modern conservative movement" is the same it always was.
Its how some of the people in power today have twisted it and repudiated it that is the difference.
A "true" conservative is the same today as they have always been (at least as long as I have been following politics,the Nixon years).
The mistake you are making is to think that Bush or any of the people in the WH today are actually conservatives.
They arent.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:10 pm
mysteryman wrote:
If he is correct, why is it "racist" to express that resentment?

It isnt. Not necessarily, anyway - it depends on how that resentment is expressed. If it's expressed in terms of "black people suck", well. But it sounds like Obama did a good job in laying out how it doesnt mean that they're just "racists".

I think that people in that situation may end up saying or feeling resentment-fuelled things that are or sound racist, but that dont come from racist convictions, and that dont necessarily make the person himself a racist.

I like that about Obama. Just like he can look at Rev. Wright and say, well, I dont agree at all with some of the things he said, but I can easily understand where he's coming from or why he would say them, he can also look at this white, immigrant working class guy whose imperiled place in society has made him feel resentful or prejudiced, and say the same. I dont agree with him, I dont think he's right, but I sure can understand where he's coming from, or how he's come to feel that way.

That's always been kind of how I've looked at it, and I think empathy is one of the most important things for a politician to have.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:12 pm
nimh wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

It isnt. Not necessarily, anyway - it depends on how that resentment is expressed. If it's expressed in terms of "black people suck", well. But it sounds like Obama did a good job in laying out how it doesnt mean that they're just "racists".

I think that people in that situation may end up saying or feeling resentment-fuelled things that are or sound racist, but that dont come from racist convictions, and that dont necessarily make the person himself a racist.

I like that about Obama. Just like he can look at Rev. Wright and say, well, I dont agree at all with some of the things he said, but I can easily understand where he's coming from or why he would say them, he can also look at this white, immigrant working class guy whose imperiled place in society has made him feel resentful or prejudiced, and say the same. I dont agree with him, I dont think he's right, but I sure can understand where he's coming from, or how he's come to feel that way.

That's always been kind of how I've looked at it, and I think empathy is one of the most important things for a politician to have.

I agree with you, but so many people, including some on here, would immediately call it racist if that resentment was expressed at all.
And that is where I have a problem.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:16 pm
mysteryman wrote:
nimh wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

I agree with you, but so many people, including some on here, would immediately call it racist if that resentment was expressed at all.

What you have a problem with is painting everything with a braid brush. When someone ascribes racist motivation to a specific target, you think they are talking about you.
0 Replies

nimh

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:20 pm
Top headlines on Google News now include:

Obama confronts nation's race issues (LA Times) Obama calls for racial unity (Boston Globe) Obama Confronts Racial Division in US (AP) Obama addresses America's racial legacy (MSNBC) Text of Obama's Speech: A More Perfect Union (WSJ) Barack Obama's Speech on Race in America Is Honest, Brutal (New York Magazine) Obama, Seizing on Divisive Comments, Aims for Unity (CNSNews) Obama Tackles Race Issue Head-On (KWTX) Obama Holds Forth on Race, Answering Critics (NPR)
Those are all good news, I think, for Obama (tho the last one sounds a bit defensive); and this one probably is too, even though they missed the point:

Obama Speech: Rebuking Rev. Wright (WSJ)
But then there are these ones:

Obama denounces preacher, says can't disown him (Reuters) Obama's speech on race, Wright saves his campaign -- for now (Kansas City Star) Obama Condemns Wright's Rhetoric, But Defends Ongoing Relationship (Fox News)
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:22 pm
mysteryman wrote:

I'm thinking maybe not so many people these days. They are loud but they are not many, IMO. We also have a choice as to whether to engage that kind of stuff or let it stand in its naked absurdity for all to see.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:24 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
nimh wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

What you have a problem with is painting everything with a braid brush. When someone ascribes racist motivation to a specific target, you think they are talking about you.

I know they arent talking about me, so that doesnt wash.
I just dislike the term "racism" being used anytime someone expresses any type of resentment about how any type of group (blacks, hispanics, women, or any other group) seems to be getting any type of preferential treatment.
Even Obama seems to be saying that resentment is somewhat justified.
0 Replies

woiyo

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:27 pm
If these statements from Obamas speech are not good enough for Limbaugh, et all..then nothing will satisfy these morons.

I have already condemned, in unequivocal terms, the statements of Reverend Wright that have caused such controversy. For some, nagging questions remain. Did I know him to be an occasionally fierce critic of American domestic and foreign policy? Of course. Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes. Did I strongly disagree with many of his political views? Absolutely - just as I'm sure many of you have heard remarks from your pastors, priests, or rabbis with which you strongly disagreed.

But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren't simply controversial. They weren't simply a religious leader's effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country - a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright's comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems - two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all.

Given my background, my politics, and my professed values and ideals, there will no doubt be those for whom my statements of condemnation are not enough. Why associate myself with Reverend Wright in the first place, they may ask? Why not join another church? And I confess that if all that I knew of Reverend Wright were the snippets of those sermons that have run in an endless loop on the television and You Tube, or if Trinity United Church of Christ conformed to the caricatures being peddled by some commentators, there is no doubt that I would react in much the same way
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:29 pm
nimh wrote:
Top headlines on Google News now include:

Obama confronts nation's race issues (LA Times) Obama calls for racial unity (Boston Globe) Obama Confronts Racial Division in US (AP) Obama addresses America's racial legacy (MSNBC) Text of Obama's Speech: A More Perfect Union (WSJ) Barack Obama's Speech on Race in America Is Honest, Brutal (New York Magazine) Obama, Seizing on Divisive Comments, Aims for Unity (CNSNews) Obama Tackles Race Issue Head-On (KWTX) Obama Holds Forth on Race, Answering Critics (NPR)
Those are all good news, I think, for Obama (tho the last one sounds a bit defensive); and this one probably is too, even though they missed the point:

Obama Speech: Rebuking Rev. Wright (WSJ)
But then there are these ones:

Obama denounces preacher, says can't disown him (Reuters) Obama's speech on race, Wright saves his campaign -- for now (Kansas City Star) Obama Condemns Wright's Rhetoric, But Defends Ongoing Relationship (Fox News)

LOL Fox News isn't going to be able to distort this on because the "I wouldn't disown my white grandmother" soundbite says it all and is going o be repeated a zillion times.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:31 pm
Quote:

The "modern conservative movement" is the same it always was.
Its how some of the people in power today have twisted it and repudiated it that is the difference.
A "true" conservative is the same today as they have always been (at least as long as I have been following politics,the Nixon years).
The mistake you are making is to think that Bush or any of the people in the WH today are actually conservatives.
They arent.

You don't have your history correct, I'm afraid. Bush, and the administration around him, would not have achieved office had the movement not have changed and been organized as it has. Those changes long precede this administration and have determined, to a great extent, its policies.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:32 pm
Nothing is the same as it always was.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:32 pm
Obama has said all that he needs to say on the subject of Rev Wright.
I have said it before, that the whole thing is a non-issue, not worth making a big deal out of.
IMHO, what his pastor said or didnt say has absolutely no bearing on whether he can be a good President or not.

Obama seems to be a good person, and while I dont think he is ready to be President YET, I wouldnt use what his pastor said as a reason to not vote for him.
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:07 pm
Roxxxanne wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
He backtracked. He has said many times that he never heard those 'controversial' remarks and told FoxNews on Friday night that if he had heard them in person, he'd have quit the church.

That is just not true. Obama never claimed that he never heard Wright make controversial remarks. Dissecting that video, the only REALLY offensive thing that Wright said that resonates with me is that Goddamn America statement. That offended me.

And Obama remained sincere in refusing to disown Wright. This was a very sincere speech that will resonate with the VAST MAJORITY of Americans who are NOT racists.

Yes, it is true. Sozobe referenced this quote by Obama in another thread where there was some concern on her part that someone would be able to refute his claim. See here.

Barack Obama wrote:
The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments."

He further told Major Garret on FoxNews that if he'd heard any of those controversial statements he would have left the church.

Quote:
GARRETT: So, quick yes or no. If had you heard them in person you would have quit?

OBAMA: If I had heard them repeated, I would have quit.

In Obama's speech he said:

Quote:
Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes.

As for you calling me a racist for pointing this out or, more likely, for not being an Obama supporter, fine. I do not support Obama. If that makes me a racist in his supporters' eyes, so be it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:09 pm
Not a racist, just a moron.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nappyheadedhohoho

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:13 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Obama's racist pastor is the moron since he's probably just handed the presidency to John McCain.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:17 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Obama's racist pastor is the moron since he's probably just handed the presidency to John McCain.

Nothing would make you happier then that, would it?

I wouldn't bet on it. There's a long time between now and Nov.; what makes you think this story has any sort of legs at all?

You have no real understanding of politics, only a childish desire to tear people down and chuckle about it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
He backtracked. He has said many times that he never heard those 'controversial' remarks and told FoxNews on Friday night that if he had heard them in person, he'd have quit the church.

That is just not true. Obama never claimed that he never heard Wright make controversial remarks. Dissecting that video, the only REALLY offensive thing that Wright said that resonates with me is that Goddamn America statement. That offended me.

And Obama remained sincere in refusing to disown Wright. This was a very sincere speech that will resonate with the VAST MAJORITY of Americans who are NOT racists.

Yes, it is true. Sozobe referenced this quote by Obama in another thread where there was some concern on her part that someone would be able to refute his claim. See here.

Barack Obama wrote:
The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation. When these statements first came to my attention, it was at the beginning of my presidential campaign. I made it clear at the time that I strongly condemned his comments."

He further told Major Garret on FoxNews that if he'd heard any of those controversial statements he would have left the church.

Quote:
GARRETT: So, quick yes or no. If had you heard them in person you would have quit?

OBAMA: If I had heard them repeated, I would have quit.

In Obama's speech he said:

Quote:
Did I ever hear him make remarks that could be considered controversial while I sat in church? Yes.

As for you calling me a racist for pointing this out or, more likely, for not being an Obama supporter, fine. I do not support Obama. If that makes me a racist in his supporters' eyes, so be it.

Although you may well be a racist and a moron, I never called you a racist. (or a moron) I merely indicated that my post was directed to one person.

I have yet to see a quote in which Obama stated that he has never heard Wright make controversial statements. If he said such a thing, it would be very easy to find and annotate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Nappy, you're refuting something other than what Roxxanne said, though.

Roxxxanne wrote:
That is just not true. Obama never claimed that he never heard Wright make controversial remarks.

What Obama said in the Huffington Post piece that he only recently learned of the specific remarks that set off this firestorm. He didn't say that he'd never heard Wright make controversial remarks.

Barack Obama wrote:
The statements that Rev. Wright made that are the cause of this controversy were not statements I personally heard him preach while I sat in the pews of Trinity or heard him utter in private conversation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/barack-obama/on-my-faith-and-my-church_b_91623.html

He (rightly) decided that leaving it at that was not enough; hence his speech today.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 01:18 pm
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

If you truly believe that, everyone knows who the real moron is. Smile
0 Replies