Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:13 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne,
Would you please explain your thought process?
How is it that anyone that disagrees with Obama or refuses to support him [is a "white racist"?

No, you explain how you interpreted my remarks to say that everyone who disagrees with Obama is a white racist?

Lets examine your statements for an answer to that...

Quote:
Well, I see that whatever he says will never quell the bigotry of white racists.

You took this out of context, this ws in direct response to a poster who chooses the handle "nappyheadedhohoho" Nuff said

Quote:
Anyone with an ounce of soul would be affected. Of course, a lot of white racists are missing that gene. But they would not have voted for Obama anyway.

Please explain to the board how you thoughtthis statement IN ANY WAY suggests that ALL OF OBAMA SUPPORTERS are racists.

Quote:
This was a very sincere speech that will resonate with the VAST MAJORITY of Americans who are NOT racists

Again, please explain to the board how you thought this statement IN ANY WAY suggests that ALL OF OBAMA opponents are racists. In fact, it suggest just the opposite as since, as I stated, the VAST MAJORITY of Americans are not racists that the VAST MAJORITY of Obama's opponents would not be racists either

Judging by those remarks, it seems that you are calling everyone that disagrees with or doesnt support Obama "racist".
I am wondering how you reach that conclusion.

So I am wondering, are you going to leave your brain to science?

EDITED for any idiot who doesn't understand that I meant OPPONENTS. I was in the middle of a third edit when the post was replied to and wiping out the edit function.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:13 am
Here's the response at Weekly Standard. Similar over at National Review. This is the beginning feed into the conservative talking points consensus.

Quote:
Obama as Mortal: Blame America

Barack Obama has staged one of the most remarkable campaigns in American history, all on the basis that he, and he alone, could transcend race. That he was looking forward, rather than back. And that the past could be overcome. Today, Obama put all that behind him:

Quote:
Contrary to the claims of some of my critics, black and white, I have never been so naive as to believe that we can get beyond our racial divisions in a single election cycle, or with a single candidacy--particularly a candidacy as imperfect as my own.

Actually, it wasn't Obama's critics who were saying that--it was his surrogates, his supporters, and Obama himself. He would frame this election not as a choice "between regions or religions or genders. It's not about rich versus poor; young versus old; and it is not about black versus white. It's about the past versus the future." It was, as Bill Clinton might say, a fairytale.

This election was no different than any other, and it turns out that Barack Obama is really no different than any other conventional liberal candidate for the presidency. He blames America, racism, and the past for the problems of today:

Quote:
Understanding this reality requires a reminder of how we arrived at this point. As William Faulkner once wrote, "The past isn't dead and buried. In fact, it isn't even past." We do not need to recite here the history of racial injustice in this country. But we do need to remind ourselves that so many of the disparities that exist in the African-American community today can be directly traced to inequalities passed on from an earlier generation that suffered under the brutal legacy of slavery and Jim Crow.

Segregated schools were, and are, inferior schools; we still haven't fixed them, fifty years after Brown v. Board of Education, and the inferior education they provided, then and now, helps explain the pervasive achievement gap between today's black and white students.

Really? That's certainly the view of Reverend Wright. And it's probably the view you'd get from any professor of African American studies. So it's not even the slightest bit controversial in conventional liberal circles.

The controversial speech that would have saved Obama's campaign is here, and it was delivered on the fiftieth anniversary of Brown v. Board of Education by a man who really has transcended race. On that day, Bill Cosby said, "Brown Versus the Board of Education is no longer the white person's problem." He said "We cannot blame white people." And he spoke about a culture of accountability as the only path to success for Black America.

If Obama had said those things, perhaps he would have won 88 percent of the Black vote instead of 90 percent, but he would have laid this whole controversy to rest. Instead, he started the speech with "we the people." You can't go any further back in American history than those words. Obama just overturned the whole rationale for his campaign, and I don't think he solved any of the problems that his association with Reverend Wright has exposed.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:15 am
This speech is a walk off grand slam homerun

Below are reactions to Barack Obama "A More Perfect Union" speech:

Atlantic.com, James Fallows:

It was a moment that Obama made great through the seriousness, intelligence, eloquence, and courage of what he said. I don't recall another speech about race with as little pandering or posturing or shying from awkward points, and as much honest attempt to explain and connect, as this one.

Atlantic.com, Andrew Sullivan:

But I do want to say that this searing, nuanced, gut-wrenching, loyal, and deeply, deeply Christian speech is the most honest speech on race in America in my adult lifetime. It is a speech we have all been waiting for for a generation. Its ability to embrace both the legitimate fears and resentments of whites and the understandable anger and dashed hopes of many blacks was, in my view, unique in recent American history.

The American Prospect, Kate Sheppard:
Obama's much-anticipated speech on race today hit the appropriate tone not just for addressing the Jeremiah Wright flap, but for framing the relevance of his candidacy in general. It was best in the way it framed the discomfort and resentment in the discussion of race in America that has lead to a "racial stalemate" for so many years, and made race "a part of our union that we have not yet made perfect."
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:15 am
ps...that's Goldfarb, editor of the site
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:16 am
Quote:
Headline Writers At The Major Networks Slow To Get Obama's Message
By Greg Sargent - March 18, 2008, 12:17PM
If Obama's speech was, as I argued below, partly a call for the keepers of our political discourse to rise above themselves and do better, the headline writers at the major networks appear to be struggling to process this message.

A number of you have written in to point out some of the more absurd ones, such as this one from MSNBC...

Obama: Racial anger is "real"
...and this one from CNN...

Obama: Constitution stained by 'sin of slavery'
These, of course, are focusing on the small and petty at the expense of the largeness of the speech's message.

...but wait, take heart! Both those headlines have been changed. CNN's new one is: Obama: "We can move beyond some of our racial wounds." And MSNBC's new effort is: "Obama tackles race anger in major speech."

So it looks as if there is a bit of an effort underway at the nets to grapple with the major themes sounded here.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:22 am
MSNBC just played Limbaugh's reaction. I didn't really get what he said but he was foaming at the mouth about some divisive nonsense. Well, I can sure understand how the haters would be upset by this speech but Obama answered in advance the likes of Limbaugh.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:23 am
Fox news site settles on this headline...

Quote:
Obama Condemns Pastor,
But Won't 'Disown Him'
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:25 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
MSNBC just played Limbaugh's reaction. I didn't really get what he said but he was foaming at the mouth about some divisive nonsense. Well, I can sure understand how the haters would be upset by this speech but Obama answered in advance the likes of Limbaugh.

Quote:
Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:27 am
I think today makes it more apparent then ever, that the right-wing machine is really, really scared of Obama. Big time.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:41 am
Quote:
Talk show hosts and conservative commentators built entire careers unmasking bogus claims of racism while dismissing legitimate discussions of racial injustice and inequality as mere political correctness or reverse racism.

THats a quote from Obama's speech, NOT from MSNBC.

I also found this part of his speech interesting...

Quote:
In fact, a similar anger exists within segments of the white community. Most working- and middle-class white Americans don't feel that they have been particularly privileged by their race.

Their experience is the immigrant experience -- as far as they're concerned, no one's handed them anything, they've built it from scratch. They've worked hard all their lives, many times only to see their jobs shipped overseas or their pension dumped after a lifetime of labor.

They are anxious about their futures, and feel their dreams slipping away; in an era of stagnant wages and global competition, opportunity comes to be seen as a zero sum game, in which your dreams come at my expense.

So when they are told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear that an African-American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never committed; when they're told that their fears about crime in urban neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.

If he is correct, why is it "racist" to express that resentment?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:52 am
roxx and cyclo will be along to explain it to you Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:52 am
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne,
Would you please explain your thought process?
How is it that anyone that disagrees with Obama or refuses to support him is a "white racist"?

I did listen to most of the speech, and I found it interesting.
While I dont want to see him as President YET, I do think his speech was exactly what he needed to do.

As for his connection to Rev. Wright I personally dont care one way or another and I think alot of people are making something out of nothing.
We all have freinds that say or do things that we dont agree with, yet they remain our friends.
We just overlook their faults and go on.

Do I think that its possible that he never heard the remarks by the Rev that have gotten everyone so worked up?
Yes, I do. But I dont think is likely.
Do I think its that important in the overall scheme of things regarding the campaign?
No I dont.

MM; this is a very reasonable post coming from someone who is not voting Obama or more than some (my own for example) who are going to vote for him.

Any:
It was a good speech and addressed all the points even the uncomfortable ones and I think might quell this thing down a bit. I am hopeful anyway.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I think today makes it more apparent then ever, that the right-wing machine is really, really scared of Obama. Big time.

Cycloptichorn

I'm not sure this is the most accurate way to conceive of the situation. And I say I'm not sure because I'm not sure. It might be.

Either you are assuming Barack has the best chance of winning (and that's still unclear, I think) or else that if he wins, he will be more likely to turn things in directions less hospitable to "the rightwing machine"s perceived interests. And I'm not sure of that either, though there's a populist message that comes through in Obama's speeches (today was a good example) which doesn't come through as clearly from Hillary.

Part of the problem in trying to figure this out relates to the diversity (such as it is) in the interests of the various modern conservative movement sectors. Clearly, the one thing that does tie them together is the desire to retain existing power. Thus, no matter who the Dem candidate is, they can be counted on to act in a predictable manner...do whatever they deem necessary (pretty much) to win the general. They'll mount sustained attacks on either candidate.

I'm sure some of you who've supported Obama had thoughts over the last week or so as the Wright matter boiled up that maybe the Hillary camp's argument that 'she's already been vetted' might mirror something real. It certainly ran through my thoughts (and still does).

I recommend Chait's new book "The Big Con" very highly. It takes a good look at the movement, particularly as regards economic theories adopted by the movement, but deals with much else as well relevant to what either candidate is and will face.
0 Replies

kickycan

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:54 am
Just the fact that Obama is a Christian in and of itself is enough to take some of the luster off the guy in my opinion.

This pastor said some idiotic things. Big surprise. All Christians say idiotic things all the time. In fact, idiocy is one of the most basic prerequisites to being a true Christian. How else could a person possibly believe all that bullshit?

Why can't we get somebody who will just disavow the whole ******* lot of the morons who believe an invisible being is running the world?
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:

Quote:

Boy, was I pleased to see him bravely add this into the conversation. It's something I've been arguing here for several years.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:58 am
Quote:
Part of the problem in trying to figure this out relates to the diversity (such as it is) in the interests of the various modern conservative movement sectors. Clearly, the one thing that does tie them together is the desire to retain existing power. Thus, no matter who the Dem candidate is, they can be counted on to act in a predictable manner...do whatever they deem necessary (pretty much) to win the general. They'll mount sustained attacks on either candidate.

Unfortunately, this describes BOTH parties and BOTH (liberal and conservative) ends of the political spectrum.

For you to say, unless I am misunderstanding you, that only the conservatives do this is to be blind to what really happens.
No matter what party or philosophy is in power, their main objective is to retain that power by doing whatever is neccessary to retain power.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
kickycan wrote:
Just the fact that Obama is a Christian in and of itself is enough to take some of the luster off the guy in my opinion.

This pastor said some idiotic things. Big surprise. All Christians say idiotic things all the time. In fact, idiocy is one of the most basic prerequisites to being a true Christian. How else could a person possibly believe all that bullshit?

Why can't we get somebody who will just disavow the whole **** lot of the morons who believe an invisible being is running the world?

That too might happen, kicky. One or two hundred years from now.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:59 am
kickycan wrote:

Why can't we get somebody who will just disavow the whole **** lot of the morons who believe an invisible being is running the world?

+5 for you sir, they are all crazy to me.

Blatham,

I do think that the right-wing is petrified of this guy. They know that McCain cannot beat him; the enthusiasm gap is gigantic. They are hoping desperately for this issue to invalidate him early on, but it isn't going to, and they know it.

But they can't very well write that, can they?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:01 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Quote:

Unfortunately, this describes BOTH parties and BOTH (liberal and conservative) ends of the political spectrum.

For you to say, unless I am misunderstanding you, that only the conservatives do this is to be blind to what really happens.
No matter what party or philosophy is in power, their main objective is to retain that power by doing whatever is neccessary to retain power.

It isn't a matter of party. What you have yet to get your head properly around is how extremist the modern conservative movement is. How non-traditional and non-republican it is.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 12:02 pm
bingo there blatham.
0 Replies