Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:49 am
What was really striking to me is how he explained how he can no more reject Rev. Wright than he can reject the black community or his white grandmother. He bared his soul and he touched a lot of people.

"one of the most important speeches in American political history" MSNBC

Buchanan "speech will play well"

EDIT "hit every question head on" --- Borges
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:54 am
Goll dang...I like this man.

The speech was extremely good and it was unusually courageous. He even had the braveness and the honesty to mention how 'political correctness' and 'reverse racism' had been used as tools of bigotry.

I've flipped between Fox, CNN and MSNBC. Hume on fox set the negative theme for how fox will continue but we knew that already. Otherwise, so far, the coverage and sentiment are extremely positive.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:56 am
LOL Fox News is now discussing gorcery store fraud!
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:57 am
Tony Harris has been really interesting to watch. In response to one early (and positive) account of the speech, he said "terrific" about 5 times in a row, followed by "wow," and seems to have been really personally affected by this.

He keeps forwarding the notion (nobody is really agreeing with him) that Obama has had the outlines of this speech ready for quite a while and that this is just the reason for giving it, finally. Tony really seemed to think that this was a) overdue and b) executed fantastically well.

He was the one moderating the discussion with two black commentators/ correspondents, the one with more candor than I'm used to seeing in these situations. That was part of the point of the discussion, too -- what black people say to each other vs. what they say to white people, and how white are therefore surprised by Wright's comments. (Implication -- more surprised than black people.)
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:58 am
blatham wrote:
Goll dang...I like this man.

The speech was extremely good and it was unusually courageous. He even had the braveness and the honesty to mention how 'political correctness' and 'reverse racism' had been used as tools of bigotry.

I've flipped between Fox, CNN and MSNBC. Hume on fox set the negative theme for how fox will continue but we knew that already. Otherwise, so far, the coverage and sentiment are extremely positive.

As I mentioned Fox has already ended their coverage. That should tell you something.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 09:59 am
sozobe wrote:
Tony Harris has been really interesting to watch. In response to one early (and positive) account of the speech, he said "terrific" about 5 times in a row, followed by "wow," and seems to have been really personally affected by this.

Anyone with an ounce of soul would be affected. Of course, a lot of white racists are missing that gene. But they would not have voted for Obama anyway.
0 Replies

blatham

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:03 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
LOL Fox News is now discussing gorcery store fraud!

Yes, they flipped early to a closed highway story/traffic jam story. They won't wish to give positive coverage and they will need time to strategize how to spin this speech in the most negative manner they can figure out. They will be sitting around a big oak table now, in conference with folks from the RNC, Kristol's bunch, Norquist's crowd likely too among others, in order to brainstorm and settle on particular talking points and bits from the speech (Obama said that Wright was "like family"....they will use that to highlight associative connections tonight). By the time O'Reilly and Hannity are on tonight, they'll have hammered out some agreed-upon vectors of attack. Tomorrow, those talking points will be widely distributed.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:04 am
It was a good maybe a great speech. Whether it helps or hurts Obama politically remains to be seen.

He made it clear that race is a vital issue for him and so far his campaign has been built on transcending race so that could be problematic politically. It's a flip flop of sorts.

I think he figured this was going to make or break him so he might as well speak his mind. It was courageous and on point.

We'll see on the overall result for him.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:06 am
nappyheadedhohoho wrote:
He backtracked. He has said many times that he never heard those 'controversial' remarks and told FoxNews on Friday night that if he had heard them in person, he'd have quit the church.

That is just not true. Obama never claimed that he never heard Wright make controversial remarks. Dissecting that video, the only REALLY offensive thing that Wright said that resonates with me is that Goddamn America statement. That offended me.

And Obama remained sincere in refusing to disown Wright. This was a very sincere speech that will resonate with the VAST MAJORITY of Americans who are NOT racists.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:06 am
Ok squinney, give the keyboard back to Bear now.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:08 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
It was a good maybe a great speech. Whether it helps or hurts Obama politically remains to be seen.

LOL that is wishful thinking. This speech KOs any chance Hillary had. (Not that she isn't already KO'd)
0 Replies

sozobe

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:13 am
Still too early to tell, I think, Roxxxanne.

By the way, as per Marc Ambinder, Obama wrote that speech himself.

Here's the whole thing:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/03/obamas_speech_the_text.php#more
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:22 am
sozobe wrote:
Still too early to tell, I think, Roxxxanne.

By the way, as per Marc Ambinder, Obama wrote that speech himself.

Here's the whole thing:

http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/archives/2008/03/obamas_speech_the_
text.php#more

I have said (going back to Super Tuesday?) that barring some unpredictable revelation that this race was over and it was and is. No matter how Clintonesque Hillary gets trying to redefine the rules,it ain't gonna wash. Hillary cannot possibly win the delegate count. And it is pledged delegates that must decide the nomination. To do otherwise would be to hand the presidency to McCain on a silver platter. And we (Democrats) may be disorganized but we are not TOTALLY INSANE.

This speech makes it much more difficult for Hillay to try to steal the nomination, which she is obviously trying to do.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:25 am
Roxxxanne,
Would you please explain your thought process?
How is it that anyone that disagrees with Obama or refuses to support him is a "white racist"?

I did listen to most of the speech, and I found it interesting.
While I dont want to see him as President YET, I do think his speech was exactly what he needed to do.

As for his connection to Rev. Wright I personally dont care one way or another and I think alot of people are making something out of nothing.
We all have freinds that say or do things that we dont agree with, yet they remain our friends.
We just overlook their faults and go on.

Do I think that its possible that he never heard the remarks by the Rev that have gotten everyone so worked up?
Yes, I do. But I dont think is likely.
Do I think its that important in the overall scheme of things regarding the campaign?
No I dont.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:26 am
soz, Thanks for sharing the link to Obama's speech. It's not only very good, but brings into focus the idea that not is our country "improving," but that we still have many more miles to travel to equality not only for blacks but also for women who suffer from that glass ceiling. That he's able to articulate so much in a few sentences shows his ability to understand what America needs for now and the future.

For further progress, we need a president that knows how to communite them to the American People, and his ability to articulate them is a good beginning.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:30 am
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne,
How is it that anyone that disagrees with Obama or refuses to support him is a "white racist"?

No, you explain how you interpreted my remarks to say that everyone who disagrees with Obama is a white racist?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 10:39 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne,

No, you explain how you interpreted my remarks to say that everyone who disagrees with Obama is a white racist?

Lets examine your statements for an answer to that...

Quote:
Well, I see that whatever he says will never quell the bigotry of white racists.

Quote:
Anyone with an ounce of soul would be affected. Of course, a lot of white racists are missing that gene. But they would not have voted for Obama anyway.

Quote:
This was a very sincere speech that will resonate with the VAST MAJORITY of Americans who are NOT racists

Judging by thtose remarks, it seems that you are calling everyone that disagrees with or doesnt support Obama "racist".
I am wondering how you reach that conclusion.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:06 am
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
Roxxxanne,
How is it that anyone that disagrees with Obama or refuses to support him [is a "white racist"?

Lets examine your statements for an answer to that...

Quote:
Well, I see that whatever he says will never quell the bigotry of white racists.

You took this out of context, this ws in direct response to a poster who chooses the handle "nappyheadedhohoho" Nuff said

Quote:

Please explain to the board how you thoughtthis statement IN ANY WAY suggests that ALL OF OBAMA SUPPORTERS are racists.

Quote:
This was a very sincere speech that will resonate with the VAST MAJORITY of Americans who are NOT racists

Again, please explain to the board how you thought this statement IN ANY WAY suggests that ALL OF OBAMA SUPPORTERS are racists. In fact, it suggest just the opposite as since, as I stated, the VAST MAJORITY of Americans are not racists that the VAST MAJORITY of Obama's opponents would not be racists either

Judging by those remarks, it seems that you are calling everyone that disagrees with or doesnt support Obama "racist".
I am wondering how you reach that conclusion.

So I am wondering, are you going to leave your brain to science?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:09 am
Quote:
Please explain to the board how you thoughtthis statement IN ANY WAY suggests that ALL OF OBAMA SUPPORTERS are racists

Where did I EVER make this statement???

I am wondering why YOU seem to think that those who fail to support Obama are racist.

I never said anything about Obama supporters being racist!!!
0 Replies

woiyo

Tue 18 Mar, 2008 11:12 am
The entire speech. All i can say is WOW!!! HE NAILED IT>?

http://www.drudgereport.com/flashos.htm
0 Replies