cjhsa

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:49 am
blatham wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Brand X wrote:
McCain especially, if he emerges, would easily beat Obama.

I think this scenario will look more likely in the near future although I hope Edwards somehow gets the nomination.

A war hero vs. a gun grabbing Illini man with an Islamic name. Hmm.

If the latter wins, we're all in trouble.

You poor bastard. A bleak and horrible future awaits you just around the corner. Where are you going to move this time?

That IS a good question. I haven't said I would move anywhere, but it may become more and more of a reality if we do elect a gun grabbing dipshit like Obama. As far from his influence as possible while still maintaining a US address.
0 Replies

blatham

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 09:55 am
cjhsa wrote:
blatham wrote:
cjhsa wrote:
Brand X wrote:

I think this scenario will look more likely in the near future although I hope Edwards somehow gets the nomination.

A war hero vs. a gun grabbing Illini man with an Islamic name. Hmm.

If the latter wins, we're all in trouble.

You poor bastard. A bleak and horrible future awaits you just around the corner. Where are you going to move this time?

That IS a good question. I haven't said I would move anywhere, but it may become more and more of a reality if we do elect a gun grabbing dipshit like Obama. As far from his influence as possible while still maintaining a US address.

You might inquire as to whether the Unibomber's cabin is available.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:22 am
I doubt it I think the demand was quite high.
0 Replies

nimh

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:33 am
FreeDuck wrote:
When you call up someone who hasn't really been paying attention to the campaigns and ask them who they'll vote for, I think it's likely that they choose a name they know.

Fair enough.. tho it's still odd that this would be the case in the South more so than, say, in the West..

But Ive beat this horse to death now I think.. :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 10:47 am
cjhsa wrote:

I haven't said I would move anywhere, but it may become more and more of a reality if we do elect a gun grabbing dipshit like Obama.

So where could you go that has a more liberal gun policy than America? The Sudan, Pakistan, Afghanistan, The Republic of Congo, Sierra Leone, Iraq ??
I'm sure you would love anyone of those places.

Really Cjhsa, no one is going to come and take you guns away. No president could muster the support that would lead to such an outcome. Paranoid America loves their firearms and politicians are not going to waste their time trying to do the impossible. America is stuck with a society that is fine with school shootings, endless domestic suicides and criminals who own arsenals. It ain't gonna change in our lifetime. Now go shoot off a few rounds and you'll feel better.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:00 am
Two kids so different
Butrflynet wrote: "That's what got me interested in politics....mom took me around to all the political rallies she attended, hosted political meetings in our home and let me help stuff envelopes and blow up balloons for various candidates. I have fond memories of Pete Stark's early start in politics because of a house party hosted by my mom that he attended."

I've puzzled about how different my children are. My son, two years younger than his sister, hates anything political. Butrflynet was always interested in understanding people. She created and conducted a survey about student racial opinions when she was in the 7th grade that was so good, it gained national attention in teacher organizations.

I'm not at all surprised that Butrflynet chose to support and work in the Obama campaign. It is a perfect fit for her.

BBB
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:16 am
eoe wrote:
Brand X wrote:

Only in your dreams doll.

I would vote for any democrat UNLESS McCain or Paul win the rebpulican nomination.

I have to think that more than a few people feel this way.
0 Replies

okie

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:34 am
maporshe, this is one of the weirdest phenomena that I see, is why McCain and Paul? They are on opposite sides of the war, and I have been led to believe by the posts of you and other libs here that the war is the main reason you reject Bush. The consistency is baffling? Please explain.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:42 am
okie wrote:
maporshe, this is one of the weirdest phenomena that I see, is why McCain and Paul? They are on opposite sides of the war, and I have been led to believe by the posts of you and other libs here that the war is the main reason you reject Bush. The consistency is baffling? Please explain.

I will okie, but I'll have to do more tonight.

Needless to say, I'm not a 1 issue voter and there are aspects of McCain that I could live with (his war stance for example...along these lines though I feel he'd do much more than the other republicans to get us out of Iraq, not as much as the democrats, but that may not be a 100% bad thing either...and I feel that he'd at least find a way for us to pay for it) due to other aspects of his campaign (anti torture, tax policies, spending policies, among others).

Paul would get us out of Iraq, which like I said I'm in favor of (but mostly from a cost perspective and the fact that the Chinese are financing our war endeavor), he has some great ideas about shrinking our government and eliminating spending. Some that I agree with and some that I don't.

Both candidates do not seem to be influenced by social conservatives which is a big PLUS in my book (Paul seemingly more than McCain, but I think McCain is pandering to that block and in his heart doesn't feel that way).

And thankfully, I feel that we'll continue to have a democratic congress for the next presidency so they'll be able to contain some of Paul's more wacky ideas. And McCain will be able to bridge the gap on many issues.
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:46 am
Not that Paul has any chance, but I've explained why I would vote for him if he did.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:48 am
sozobe wrote:
That's what I'd tend to think, but this intrigued me:

eoe wrote:
FreeDuck wrote:
but I think there is a big difference between Iowa and Alabama, if you know what I mean.

Actually, there isn't much difference at all.

Care to expand, eoe? I know you've lived in both Chicago and Atlanta...

The atmosphere in the South, from my own personal experience, is not as entrenched in racism as most still assume it to be.

Jena 6 notwithstanding.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 11:53 am
I'm not sure we disagree on that other than in terms of degree. I don't think it's as bad as people often assume, but I don't think it's not there either. Even if all that remains is the hard to conquer and possibly misguided belief that other people in your state won't vote for a black man, it's enough to make a difference.

That's not to say that I don't think Obama can or will do well in the south. If he wins in South Carolina, for instance, I think he'll shatter all preconceived notions about who can be elected in the south. I just think it will be tougher than it was in Iowa.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:07 pm
Like FreeDuck, I believe in proof in the pudding concept.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:10 pm
Who doesn't...?
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:18 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
I don't think it's as bad as people often assume, but I don't think it's not there either.

Absolutely. But I think many would be very surprised. It's not something to be taken for granted anymore, that the South is without-a-doubt-you-can-count-on-it racist, any more than the Midwest or the East or West Coasts.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:22 pm
racism is part of the national fabric no matter where you go. some places are worse than others but it exists everywhere. Whites hate blacks, blacks hates whites, blacks AND whites hate puerto ricans and mexicans, people tell polish jokes, every ethnicity or race has a duragatory nick name..... face it, we ALL suck.

God should destroy us and start again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:24 pm
Thanks for your take eoe. Yeah, that makes sense.
0 Replies

eoe

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:36 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

What? You mean make a "new" model of man? One that will embrace someone different from themselves rather than fear and seek to destroy them instead?
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:42 pm
eoe wrote:
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:

What? You mean make a "new" model of man? One that will embrace someone different from themselves rather than fear and seek to destroy them instead?

No way God would be in favor of that...at least not the Christian, Judisiam, or Islamic God.

God is all for punishing the infidels.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 4 Jan, 2008 12:52 pm
maporsche: God is all for punishing the infidels.

Yeah, christians against christians, christians against jews, jews against muslims, muslims against jews, muslims against muslims, and christians against muslims.

Great creation!
0 Replies