realjohnboy

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:03 pm
Good night soz, and everyone else. Johnboy is also going to bed. It has been an exciting evening. Tomorrow the analysis and spinning begins in earnest and then it is on to NH on Tuesday, I have thoroughly enjoyed yall's company this evening.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:06 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
congratulations to Obama, but Clinton is the next president.

Huckabee is just to big a joke to even consider as a threast to anyone.

http://static.flickr.com/78/155733289_44299089e6.jpg
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:08 pm
go to hell snood old buddy, I'm not sparring with you.

I will vote happily for Obama if he gets the nomination. but Hills my candidate and i think she's the one.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:12 pm
Quote:
Kid's been with me throughout -- yes, terribly late for her -- but she's been a big Obama fan too (duh, right?) and is so so so so excited about all of this. And I figure that being invested in and participating in the political process is a good thing, right?

Whew!

That's what got me interested in politics....mom took me around to all the political rallies she attended, hosted political meetings in our home and let me help stuff envelopes and blow up balloons for various candidates.

I have fond memories of Pete Stark's early start in politics because of a house party hosted by my mom that he attended.
0 Replies

snood

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:22 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
go to hell snood old buddy, I'm not sparring with you.

I will vote happily for Obama if he gets the nomination. but Hills my candidate and i think she's the one.

I'm not your old buddy, and f*ck sparring - you keep barfing about the inevitable Hillary on the Obama thread, and I'll comment however the f*ck I want. And I could give a f*ck what you say or think about it.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:23 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
That's what got me interested in politics....mom took me around to all the political rallies she attended, hosted political meetings in our home and let me help stuff envelopes and blow up balloons for various candidates.

Me too! Razz

I was, eh, one when I went to my first demo.. on my mom's shoulders. I was handing out Labour Party leaflets at 6 Smile
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:24 pm
Yo! snood! inhale. s'ok - jesus!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:26 pm
I said this on the Iowa caucus thread and thought I'd repeat it here...

This nation would go nuts over having to choose between Romney, the white mormon, and Obama, the black christian who went to school in a muslim country. It will be a very interesting exercise for our society if it holds true.
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:28 pm
Romney is toast.
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:31 pm
snood wrote:
Nimh will be along any minute to say his polls predicted the whole thing... Laughing

I guess winners can have sour grapes too huh? :wink:

Nah, I had no idea who would win, like I said in the Polls etc thread just today. It was much too close.

Butrflynet wrote:
It's been a long long year since last January when I first got involved with the Obama campaign on their website.

The Obama campaign has woken up the sleeping spirit of grassroots democracy. Iowa had an incredible turnout.

OK - again congratulations, Butrflynet - I know you worked long and hard for Obama's cause, and it's always great to see such civic activism and idealism rewarded with real-life victories! You deserved it, you all did!

But one tiny disclaimer I have to insert here re that last sentence; if all those reports about turnout at individual precincts being up by half or doubling or even tripling are right, and the end results are a 37-30-30 split or the like, then it wasnt just Obama who pulled in a lot of new caucusgoers. All the three frontrunners must have brought in loads of new participants.

And thats good news of course!
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:38 pm
snood wrote:
'night, Soz! Whoo-HOOOOOOO!!!!!

Was that a Dean scream? Wink

Congratulations, Obama-supporters!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:42 pm
Thanks for letting us dreamers enjoy an hour of feeling good about things in Iowa before hauling out the charts and statistics again.
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:42 pm
I watched a CNN interview with Dean tonight and he still makes me as angry as he ever has.
0 Replies

okie

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:43 pm
"With 96 percent of the precincts reporting Thursday evening, Obama had 38 percent of the vote while John Edwards had 30 percent and Hillary Clinton had 29 percent. Bill Richardson had 2 percent.

http://youdecide08.foxnews.com/2008/01/03/through-the-eye-of-the-caucus-goers-how-to-cast-a-vote-in-iowa/

Ha, Clinton is going to come in third.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:44 pm
JPB wrote:
I watched a CNN interview with Dean tonight and he still makes me as angry as he ever has.

I can't believe he is national chairperson of the Democrat party...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:49 pm
I'm so excited! I've been trying not to get my hopes up all this time, but I just can't help it now... Very Happy <------that grin is not nearly big enough!
0 Replies

nimh

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:55 pm
Butrflynet wrote:
Thanks for letting us dreamers enjoy an hour of feeling good about things in Iowa before hauling out the charts and statistics again.

Oh I'm sure you'll still feel good for many hours to come. No fact check of this or that minor detail should hurt the overall joy of deserved victory too much. Smile

Now if you'll leave the supporters for the other candidates the credit for their performances too (for example in turning out lots of new caucusgoers of their own), then we might just all still get along :wink:

As for "my" candidate, Edwards doesnt have much future in the race anymore now, I think, which makes me sad. Unless Hillary now collapses and the race becomes Obama vs Edwards, but that's probably a pipe dream.

But still, even so - who'd have thought he'd get 30% of the vote even just two weeks ago! I mean, Obama's done absolutely great of course, but still, thats not bad either... he deserves at least some kudos too.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 09:58 pm
nimh wrote:
snood wrote:
Nimh will be along any minute to say his polls predicted the whole thing... Laughing

I guess winners can have sour grapes too huh? :wink:

Nah, I had no idea who would win, like I said in the Polls etc thread just today. It was much too close.

Butrflynet wrote:
It's been a long long year since last January when I first got involved with the Obama campaign on their website.

The Obama campaign has woken up the sleeping spirit of grassroots democracy. Iowa had an incredible turnout.

OK - again congratulations, Butrflynet - I know you worked long and hard for Obama's cause, and it's always great to see such civic activism and idealism rewarded with real-life victories! You deserved it, you all did!

But one tiny disclaimer I have to insert here re that last sentence; if all those reports about turnout at individual precincts being up by half or doubling or even tripling are right, and the end results are a 37-30-30 split or the like, then it wasnt just Obama who pulled in a lot of new caucusgoers. All the three frontrunners must have brought in loads of new participants.

And thats good news of course!
Not so fast. According to the current entrance polls at CNN 57% Claimed they never caucused before. Of them: 18% went to Edwards, 29% went to Hillary and fully 41% went to Obama. I suppose you could share some credit with Hillary. :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:01 pm
Mea culpa to this thread but Hillary coming in third is almost (ok, tied... ok, better) than Obama winning Iowa.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Thu 3 Jan, 2008 10:02 pm
So, does it seem logical to anyone here that Edwards supporters (should he drop out) are going to flock to Hillary?

Not to me.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies