parados

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 03:24 pm
@RABEL222,
It is amazing the number of unattributed quotes that seem to be attributed to Franklin by RWers.

They can't use the ones he did say so feel they should just make up ones that suit their agenda.
0 Replies

ican711nm

Thu 31 Mar, 2011 04:51 pm
Leftist Liberals despise reality and the people who describe it!
................They continually villify George Bush for the damage they have done and are doing to our Country!
mysteryman

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:32 pm
This is interesting...

The house has passed a bill that no member of Congress, nor the President, will be paid their daily salary for every day there is a govt shutdown.

The text of the bill is here...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?bill=h112-1255

I wonder if that will have any efffect on them.
plainoldme

Sat 2 Apr, 2011 01:34 pm
@mysteryman,
The last government shut down had senior citizens up in arms because they received no Social Security payments.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 06:48 am
@ican711nm,
ican711nm wrote:

Leftist Liberals despise reality and the people who describe it!
................They continually villify George Bush for the damage they have done and are doing to our Country!

Yep.
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 01:17 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I wonder if that will have any efffect on them.

What do you figure is the lowest net worth of any member of Congress, MM?
realjohnboy

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 02:25 pm
@JTT,
Amusingly enough, JTT, there is some information about that. According to reports, which I won't pretend to be accurate, about half of the members of Congress are millionaires (excluding the value of their personal residence). That was in 2008 or so.
Darrell Issa (CA) is worth, or was worth then, $250Mn and some 7 others were worth $100Mn or more.
Joe Biden came in at $27,000 while 5 others were listed as having a negative net worth after excluding their homes.
cicerone imposter

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 02:30 pm
@realjohnboy,
Here's a list of lawmakers net worth.
http://www.opensecrets.org/pfds/overview.php
JTT

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 02:32 pm
@realjohnboy,
I'm surprised at J Biden only at 27 grand, RJB. Was that why they chose him for VP, so he could get a good pension?

Just out of curiosity, are the "5 others" Repubs or Dems?
realjohnboy

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 02:48 pm
@JTT,
Some Dems, some Repubs. Again, I put little credence in the numbers as there are a multitude of ways to fudge the numbers.
0 Replies

parados

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 03:42 pm
@mysteryman,
Have you read the text of that idiotic bill MM?

Quote:
If the House has not received a message from the Senate before April 6, 2011, stating that it has passed a measure providing for the appropriations for the departments and agencies of the Government for the remainder of fiscal year 2011, the provisions of H.R. 1, as passed by the House on February 19, 2011, are hereby enacted into law.

If the Senate doesn't act then this bill is law?
Did no one in the House listen when they took the time to read the Constitution? Laws don't exist because the Senate failed to act on them.
0 Replies

okie

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 08:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
I'm surprised at J Biden only at 27 grand, RJB. Was that why they chose him for VP, so he could get a good pension?

Just out of curiosity, are the "5 others" Repubs or Dems?
Uhhhhh, I think you need to read RJB's link again, because I read Biden being worth approximately a half mill, and if you believe that too, I am sure some land developers have some swamp land in Florida that you might be interested in buying.

I find it interesting that Timothy F. Geithner is worth maybe over 6 mill, but he still fudged on his income taxes. And the president may be worth over 7 mill? In what are those assets, just curious?
cicerone imposter

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 09:23 pm
@okie,
okie, What you read is wrong; Joe Biden's net worth is not a half million. Your problem is that you never check out information before you lambast somebody else. You're the one that's ready to buy that swamp land in Florida for all the erroneous information you bite into without checking it out.

Quote:
The Center for Responsive Politics estimates his net worth is at most $277,000.

Biden ranks as the poorest member of the U.S. Senate. The Center for Responsive Politics estimates his net worth is at most $277,000 (see Related Links for report). A more recent release of tax returns by Biden indicates a yearly income of $248,754 (see Related Links).

How about that bridge in Montana that's for sale?
0 Replies

JTT

Sun 3 Apr, 2011 10:52 pm
@okie,
I find your curiosity misplaced, Okie. You're a real homey, aren't you?
0 Replies

RABEL222

Mon 4 Apr, 2011 02:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
After looking at the list I am beginning to understand why a large number of dems vote against raising taxes on the rich.
cicerone imposter

Mon 4 Apr, 2011 03:18 pm
@RABEL222,
Yea, isn't that a blast! The GOP gets the blame for their rhetoric on lower taxes for the rich, and those dems vote to keep their wealth. Something is fishy in Kalamazoo.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:06 pm
Those in the Greater Boston area might be interested in this:

Healthcare: A Plenary Session

Saturday, May 7, 2011
4:00 - 7:30 pm
Spangler Auditorium, Spangler Hall

Harvard Business School

Boston, MA 02163
The healthcare reform bill popularly known as “Obamacare,” has passed, but the debate rages on. Healthcare is a life-and-death issue for everyone, and it should come as no surprise that passions run high around this issue. Many American still oppose it, the House has voted to repeal it, and several states are doing their best to overturn it in the courts.

Discuss the facts and the myths surrounding healthcare in America in this exciting plenary session

Speakers:

Robert Blendon, Professor of Health Policy and Political Analysis, Harvard University School of Public Health and Harvard Kennedy School of Government
Regina Herzlinger, Nancy R. McPherson Professor of Business Administration Chair, Harvard Business School
Jim Roosevelt, Chief Executive Officer, Tufts Health Plan
Regina E. Herzlinger will deliver the keynote address followed by two panels on the economics of healthcare and the history of healthcare in the United States. This program will conclude with a networking reception.

Alumni and friends of the Harvard community $20
cicerone imposter

Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:11 pm
@plainoldme,
pom, Are you going to attend? If so, will you provide us with a brief on what you learn at that symposium?
plainoldme

Mon 4 Apr, 2011 08:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I really don't know. I live 100 miles from Cambridge these days, so I have to factor in the time, distance and the cost of gas as well as the loss of a day working my $8.50/hour job.

If I attend, I will let you know what they said.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 5 Apr, 2011 05:17 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

The healthcare reform bill popularly known as “Obamacare,” has passed, but the debate rages on.

'Passed' is not what really happened, the highly unpopular bill was shoved
down America's throat and it's loaded with all sorts of liberal tricks & taxes.

Face it, Obamacare is huge steaming pile of ****.