parados

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 07:16 am
@parados,
Quote:
Oh.. wait.. that wasn't one of those uber-tolerant lefties...

Or maybe Finn knows something about squirt the rest of us don't.
revelette

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 07:37 am
My main gripe with Obama (its not easy for me to say as I feel it gives legs for the "other side" but anyway...) has been a big disappointment with the way he has handled things like past allegations of torture by not looking into them and actually standing the way of anyone being tried for it and for not closing Guantanamo Bay and today even signing an order for indefinite detentions, all of which has gone against what he said as a senator and as a campaigner

Obama to resume military tribunals for Guantanamo terror suspects

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The Obama administration on Monday announced that it will resume using military tribunals to try suspected terrorists held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, but officials said they're not giving up on trials in civilian courts and are still considering their options for trying 9/11 mastermind Khalid Sheikh Mohammed and four other accused 9/11 plotters.

President Barack Obama also signed an executive order for the U.S. to continue indefinite detentions of suspects without trial, a move strongly opposed by civil rights groups and some congressional Democrats.

Aides said that Obama remains committed to closing the detention center at Guantanamo Bay.

Senior administration officials defended the president's intention to continue indefinite detentions, which the Bush administration employed heavily and Obama has sustained. The officials told reporters in a conference call that a revised framework in the executive order gives detainees more frequent reviews of their status, with rights to hire a private lawyer of their choosing and the right to make a statement to a review board.

"We have raised the bar" on humane treatment of detainees, said one official, who spoke on condition that his name be withheld under ground rules set by the White House.

Anthony D. Romero, the executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union, said Obama has created a "troubling 'new normal'" and that his steps to give detainees more procedural rights are "just window dressing for the reality that today's executive order institutionalizes indefinite detention, which is unlawful, unwise and un-American."

The administration will continue to seek repeal of congressional restrictions on trying terrorism suspects in civilian courts, officials said.

They declined to speak about how Monday's announcements would affect the trial of the accused 9/11 plotters. "We're not here to comment on the future of any particular case," one official said. "We're working through what options there are," one official said. "It's a decision we're going to have to be making in due time."

That lack of clarity and delay in bringing the cases to trial continues to frustrate many of the relatives of those who died in the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Jim Riches, a deputy fire chief in New York, whose son died responding to the attacks, said he could support civilian or military trials, but he's fed up with the delay.

"President Obama promised us swift and certain justice in February of 2009," Riches said. "More than two years later, he still hasn't made a decision. I think it's a disgrace and another slap in the face of 9/11 families. Almost 10 years later, we haven't seen justice.

"It's politically explosive," he said. "I thought they wanted to wait until after the election and then they would deal with it. But they didn't."

House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith, R-Texas, said Monday that he's glad that Obama and his team have "finally seen the light" on military commissions. But Smith pressed the president to go farther, and "fully abandon the failed policy of trying terrorists in civilian courts."

"Justice for the families of the 9/11 victims has been delayed long enough," Smith said.

Meanwhile, Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., the chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said that Obama's indefinite detention order "falls far short of core constitutional values" because it doesn't provide for judicial review of cases that go before the government's review board and doesn't guarantee "meaningful assistance of counsel."
Obama said in a statement that the steps will "broaden our ability to bring terrorists to justice, provide oversight for our actions, and ensure the humane treatment of detainees."

Of the detainees who remain at Guantanamo, about three dozen face military commission or civilian trials; 47 face indefinite detention and dozens of others could be sent to other countries.

H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:24 am
@parados,

Maybe someone explain 'chronological order' to out resident parasite.
H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:28 am
@revelette,
revelette wrote:

My main gripe with Obama .... a big disappointment with the way he has handled things like past allegations of torture by not looking into them and actually standing the way of anyone being tried for it and for not closing Guantanamo Bay and today even signing an order for indefinite detentions, all of which has gone against what he said as a senator and as a campaigner

Yes, PrezBO is a huge disappointment, and he is currently considering the invasion of Libya.
parados

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:29 am
@H2O MAN,
Sure squirt..

I'll bet that never in your life have you used "homosexual" as a slur.
You and Mark Fuhrman are a pair.
H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:33 am
@parados,
HeHeHeHe...

Is pitiful parasite easily offended?
parados

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:34 am
@H2O MAN,
It seems you don't understand chronological order squirt.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 08:53 am
Parasite is having an episode, could someone look in
the basement and make sure the little pest is OK - thanks.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:34 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

revelette wrote:

My main gripe with Obama .... a big disappointment with the way he has handled things like past allegations of torture by not looking into them and actually standing the way of anyone being tried for it and for not closing Guantanamo Bay and today even signing an order for indefinite detentions, all of which has gone against what he said as a senator and as a campaigner

Yes, PrezBO is a huge disappointment, and he is currently considering the invasion of Libya.

As the world's last remaining Bush supporter, aren't you psyched about the prospect of several-thousand more civilians from a distant land being murdered by drones?

Admit it: you'll be stroking your nipple tassels as you watch Fox News' exclusive live infrared feed, which they'll air to the soundtrack of Metallica's And Justice for All.
plainoldme

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:43 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Why don't you start by improving your own on line behavior? You know, be a leader, an innovator?
H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:43 am
@Gargamel,
Mm, mmm, mm! Barack Hussein Obama
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:44 am
@plainoldme,
Pom, we were all hoping you would step up and set the example.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:46 am
Obama has installed a gangster government and he is a political thug.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:51 am
@failures art,
Hi, Art.

I am certainly tired of the quality of comments that H20man offers. He almost never does anything but insult. He has several times told me that I am sexually frigid, a lesbian and a manhater. Generally, I ignore him. How does one answer such a post? Refute it?

He has no reason to hate liberals to the extent he does.

And it is true that I will say there are reasons to hate conservatives. Historically, there is racism of the right. There is the right's insistence that they put themselves into the bedrooms of every person in America while simultaneously, hypocritically demanding small government (and who but the government bans abortion and prevents gays from marrying?). There is the conservative denial of global warming and mankind's role in the phenomenon. Why there is a even a right wing shoppers' rights group that opposes the sale of plastic bags at supermarkets and wants them to continue to be distributed free of charge to litter our streets and destroy our wild life.

So, here finn supports h20's "right" to call me frigid and a manhater and a lesbian but refuses to allow me to give it back to him.

When the shoe is on the other foot, it pinches.
plainoldme

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:54 am
@failures art,
You weren't here for the abuzz days but I took a month and using a legal pad, noted when right wingers insulted left and when left wingers returned the remarks. There was one leftie insult for every eight rightie insults.

Finn, h2oman, okie and ican were all on abuzz along with a few others who either have disappeared or post sporadically.
plainoldme

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:55 am
@H2O MAN,
I suspect in your twisted and sick way you are asking me how it is that I became a liberal.

If you can ask me as a gentleman or an acceptable member of society -- which all of your posts demonstrate that you can not-- I will answer the question.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:58 am
@revelette,
I share your assessment and your frustration. I think snood wrote recently that Obama is a wuss. He certainly is. On the positive side, I think Obama is a natural diplomat. bush II gave lip service to reaching across the aisle but never did. Obama bends over backwards, completely ignoring his constituency. If I wanted a Republican president, I would have voted for a Republican candidate.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 09:59 am
@parados,
Splash constantly accuses me of being a lesbian or a frigid heterosexual. okie has as well. And a few others.
RABEL222

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 10:19 am
@plainoldme,
Why would anything that Okie or waterman say bother you. They are just a couple of idoits who try to push your buttons. Ignore them!
Cycloptichorn

Tue 8 Mar, 2011 10:29 am
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Splash constantly accuses me of being a lesbian or a frigid heterosexual. okie has as well. And a few others.

When someone acts childish, you're supposed to be BETTER than them, POM. Don't let them rile you up.

Cycloptichorn