Diest TKO

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:38 am
@okie,
okie wrote:
Easy.

I absolutely love that you think that ultra complex and dynamic issues can be resolved so easily. It's rather telling of your naivety.

T
K
O
0 Replies

revel

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:45 am
This is rich.
Quote:
Do that instead of going to Denmark working for his buddies in Chicago. After all, we do have a problem

Quote:
Obama will leave Washington Thursday night, arrive in Copenhagen on Friday just in time for Chicago’s presentation to the voting members of the IOC, and return to Washington on Friday afternoon.

source

Compared to:

Quote:
George W. Bush is today making his final visit to Camp David as president.

He will likely miss the place: According to CBS News White House Correspondent Mark Knoller, today's trip marks Mr. Bush's 149th visit to the presidential retreat. The planned three-day stay, during which the president is being joined by family and former and current aides, will bring his total time spent at Camp David to all or part of 487 days.

Yes, that's 487 days. And Camp David is not even where the president has spent the most time when not at the White House: Knoller reports that Mr. Bush has made 77 visits to his ranch in Crawford during his presidency, and spent all or part of 490 days there.

source
okie

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 09:53 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

okie wrote:

Propose to eliminate all business and corporate income tax.

And how would you pay for this? This would necessarily deepen the deficit.

I have posted this more than once, but it is also okay with me if marginal tax rates are raised for individual income taxes. I would favor the retail sales tax or fair tax, but since I see little hope for this, my above proposal is the next best thing. Business boom in this country would increase revenues, no doubt.

Quote:
Quote:
Stop the stupid cap and trade proposal, it is insanity. That would also restore a little more faith into the energy business. Announce that we are once again going to drill for our oil and gas, and then mean it. Announce that we are not going to tax energy companies to death. He could still offer incentives for solar and wind, no problem, but just don't threaten to kill the whole business.

There are lots of other suggestions, but this would be a start.

So you essentially want him to go against everything he campaigned on and, after being elected by a clear majority to do those things, announce that he's decided to become a Republican and pursue the policies that we did not vote for.

Yes, that would help alot. Will he do it, no. That is why I oppose him and hope we can sweep the Democrats out of office at future elections, they are killing the country with terrible policies in all kinds of ways.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:16 am
@revel,
I'm instating a new policy when fielding hysteria about Obama. I will entertain these wild criticisms and doomsday fear mongering, once Obama has been in office for a time equal with that of the time Bush was out of the office playing cowboy. How many days... er years will that be?

Until then, I'll let Obama work and try to get some things done.

T
K
O
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:18 am
I just read that Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting by the esteemed Olympics selection committee -- despite the president's highly touted "diplomacy', apologizing and ass-kissing.

Could it be that others in the world don't see the Chicago cesspool from which our president emerged as the shining city on the hill that he touts it to be?

Could it be that the real world in which we live doesn't have much respect for vapid rhetoric; endless apologies and assurances that all will be made well; and the clear absence of any inclination to take firm action in the face of real threats.

Could it be that the superficial esteem of the international chattering class doesn't really count for much after all?

Very clearly this was at very least a serious miscalculation by our president.
Cycloptichorn

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:20 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I just read that Chicago was eliminated in the first round of voting by the esteemed Olympics selection committee -- despite the president's highly touted "diplomacy', apologizing and ass-kissing.

Could it be that others in the world don't see the Chicago cesspool from which our president emerged as the shining city on the hill that he touts it to be?

Could it be that the real world in which we live doesn't have much respect for vapid rhetoric; endless apologies and assurances that all will be made well; and the clear absence of any inclination to take firm action in the face of real threats.

Could it be that the superficial esteem of the international chattering class doesn't really count for much after all?

Very clearly this was at very least a serious miscalculation by our president.

Oh, get off it, George. How tiresome your posts have become lately, a never-ending stream of negativity and empty assertions.

Could it be that you dumbasses will use anything you can to attack Obama? I think so!

Cycloptichorn
dyslexia

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:21 am
@georgeob1,
yes george, I suppose Obama's miscalculation is on par with the WOMD invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:23 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Oh, get off it, George. How tiresome your posts have become lately, a never-ending stream of negativity and empty assertions.

Could it be that you dumbasses will use anything you can to attack Obama? I think so!

Cycloptichorn

Another logically incisive and devastating riposte from Cyclo ! Laughing Laughing
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:25 am
@georgeob1,
Well, and certainly you think that it was "a serious miscalculation" for Japan's Yukio Hatoyama as well? (And might well be for the Spanish king, too.)

If you'd read the reports, you would have noticed that it was a miscalculation of the delegates - they actually seemed to be as surprised as anyone else.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:25 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Cycloptichorn

Another logically incisive and devastating riposte from Cyclo ! Laughing Laughing

I strive to match the quality of the post I respond to.

Making this out to be some sort of 'embarrassment' for Obama is ridiculous, George. And you know it. But you're in knee-jerk mode these days, and it's too hard for you to resist taking a jab at the guy. Right?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:30 am
@Cycloptichorn,
No, not at all. However after a period of 'wait and see' I have concluded that he is a feckless disaster for us.
Walter Hinteler

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:32 am
@georgeob1,
Do you think that Japan has to elect a new PM now? And perhaps Brasil a new president and Spain a new king? (More Spain a new king, I think.)
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:35 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

No, not at all. However after a period of 'wait and see' I have concluded that he is a feckless disaster for us.

Funny, it took you years to come to the same conclusion about Bush and he was ten times the Fuckup that Obama could ever be. If you ever DID come to that conclusion. This doesn't inspire confidence in your ability to judge.

I would remind you that the current recession we are in was ushered in by years of Republican mis-management of the economy and a complete failure to engage in economic regulation, because it's against your worldview. Both wars Obama is trying to clean up were started by Bush and he failed to finish either one. Blaming Obama for not being able to clean up the messes that your party started is pretty weak, unless you are willing to spread the blame around properly, George.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:36 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

If you call the first year administration of Obama a "disaster," then you sir are one sheltered crybaby with no real perspective on struggle. Why don't you save words like "disaster" for something worthy of it.

Your drama queen antics, noted.

T
K
O
0 Replies

maporsche

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:38 am
Would Obama have received any credit if Chicago won its bid?

I'll add that I'm personally thrilled that the games are not coming to my home town. This city is seriously fucked up; and has a lot bigger things to worry about.
Diest TKO

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 10:49 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
Someone would have noted him as part of it probably. Meanwhile, the GOP seems to want Obama to perform Sepuku over this.

Pardon me while I aggressively don't give a damn about this current event.

T
K
Confused
0 Replies

Gargamel

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:01 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I'll add that I'm personally thrilled that the games are not coming to my home town. This city is seriously fucked up; and has a lot bigger things to worry about.

While I will be fiercely arguing against assertions that Obama is to blame for the bid rejection, I agree it should be noted that a victory would likely have been milked for whatever political/PR capital it was worth.
maporsche

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:06 am
@Gargamel,
Gargamel wrote:

While I will be fiercely arguing against assertions that Obama is to blame for the bid rejection, I agree it should be noted that a victory would likely have been milked for whatever political/PR capital it was worth.

I agree. No one should be surprised to see this being used against Obama, as a positive result would have been used by the other side.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:15 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:
I'll add that I'm personally thrilled that the games are not coming to my home town.

Says the suburbanite.
Diest TKO

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 11:19 am
Can we just kill the Obama-Chicago-Olympics discussion now? I fear if we don't it will be a 5 page ramble if we don't kill it early.

It seems like nobody here is suprized at the spin, nor would have been surprised by the spin in any outcome. Doesn't sound like there is anything to be discussed.

T
K
O