Walter Hinteler

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:13 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Just wondering, does Obama think he is mayor of Chicago, or president? How come he is spending time lobbying for Chicago, is it all the investments and personal gain potential for him and alot of his friends, such as Valerie Jarret, slum lords, Mayor Daly, and all the other Chicago cronies of his that are making boatloads of money there, including from government programs there? Where are the investigative reporters worth their salt these days? Did they all stay in Wasilla, Alaska after the planeloads of them descended upon that city when Palin ran for vp?

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/18/olympic-sized-boondoggle-what-valerie-jarrett-and-michelle-obama-are-up-to/

You don't know a lot about Olympic Games, do you, okie? And how the lobbying for getting them for works .... and worked? Even (and especially) when an US-American city was trying to get them?
0 Replies

okie

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:19 am
Another tidbit of interest, more than a tidbit, it is pretty monumental when you consider the impact it is having on us and the entire world, Sarkozy of France thinks, and I think he has Obama pegged, he thinks Obama is "incredibly naive and grossly egotistical." I think he is right, we are in trouble, folks, and our best chance to start getting out of this mess we are in is to vote a new Congress in 2010.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:56 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Just wondering, does Obama think he is mayor of Chicago, or president? How come he is spending time lobbying for Chicago, is it all the investments and personal gain potential for him and alot of his friends, such as Valerie Jarret, slum lords, Mayor Daly, and all the other Chicago cronies of his that are making boatloads of money there, including from government programs there? Where are the investigative reporters worth their salt these days? Did they all stay in Wasilla, Alaska after the planeloads of them descended upon that city when Palin ran for vp?

http://michellemalkin.com/2009/09/18/olympic-sized-boondoggle-what-valerie-jarrett-and-michelle-obama-are-up-to/

Michelle Malkin is one of the dumbest women on the planet; Glenn Beck is by far the dumbest man on the planet:

Reality Check: Trying to Turn a Point of Pride into a Moment of Shame
0 Replies

revel

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:03 am
Like Sarkozy has any reason to talk about anyone being egotistical.

Quote:
It's hard work looking like an imposing statesman when you're only 5ft 5in.
Nicolas Sarkozy has resorted to standing on a box and even rising on to his tiptoes to disguise his height - or rather the lack of it.

But for a televised at a major industrial plant, the French President and his aides were taking no chances.

They found 20 of the site's shortest workers to stand behind Mr Sarkozy as he delivered the keynote address.

They were bussed in from all over the Faurecia motor technology plant near Caen in Normandy after aides made sure none exceeded Mr Sarkozy's 5ft 5in.

However, yesterday the strategy was exposed by a worker at the site who admitted she had been chosen because she was short.

A TV journalist asked the woman researcher: 'Is it true you were all picked to appear alongside the president because of your height?'

When the woman answered yes, she was asked: 'Because you shouldn't be taller than the president?' She answered 'Exactly that.'

TV pictures were then shown of the 20 workers on board a coach which brought them in from other parts of the Faurecia site.

All admitted that they were among the smallest members of the 1,400-strong workforce, and had been selected to replace the usual staff in the unit where Mr Sarkozy made his speech about the car industry.

Mr Sarkozy, who is notoriously sensitive about his height, did not want a repeat of the fiasco in June when he was caught using a footstool when delivering a speech alongside Gordon Brown and Barack Obama during the D-Day commemorations.

Both the 5ft 11in Prime Minister and 6ft 2in American towered above him when they used the same podium.

When Mr Sarkozy, 54, and his wife Carla Bruni, 41, met up with Mr Obama and his wife Michelle in the French city of Strasbourg earlier this year, Mr Sarkozy was again widely mocked for standing on tiptoes during a photo shoot.

This time Mr Sarkozy has been accused of manipulating his media image for political ends.

'Mr Sarkozy wants to look like a tall, impressive statesman and thinks nothing of altering reality to suit this,' said another Faurecia worker.

An Elysee Palace spokesman denied the accusation: 'It's totally absurd and grotesque.'

But Josi de Sa Moreira, a senior Faurecia employee and trade union leader confirmed that the workers had been chosen for their height.

source
0 Replies

revel

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:19 am
Chicago was on the shortlist before Obama was even elected.

Quote:
June 5th, 2008
Athens, June 5 (DPA) Chicago, Madrid, Tokyo and Rio de Janeiro were picked by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) as the four final contenders for hosting the 2016 Summer Olympics. Prague, Baku and Doha were left out of the race of the seven cities which had applied for the event. The final choice will be made next year.

source
Quote:

Who is he rooting for?" Gibbs asked. "Is he hoping to hop a plane to Brazil and catch the Olympics in Rio? Maybe it's Madrid?"

source
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 02:56 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

Good afternoon. Every couple of weeks since the 1st of March, I have been posting polling results on President Obama's approval ratings as gathered by the polltaker Rasmussen. Here is the latest update:
The 1st set of numbers is the % of respondents who STRONGLY APPROVE of Mr Obama's performance vs the % who STRONGLY DISAPPROVE. The 2nd number is the index obtained by subtracting the DISAPPROVE from the APPROVE. The 3rd set is the % of folks who APPROVE vs DISAPPROVE, dropping the word "STRONGLY."

3/1/09: (38%-30%) = +8 (58%-40%)
3/15/09: (37%-31%) = +6 (56%-43%)
4/1/09: (37%-29%) = +5 (56%-44%)
4/14/09: (35%-32%) = +3 (55%-44%)
5/2/09: (33%-32%) = +1 (54%-45%)
5/16/09: (34%-30%) = +4 (56%-43%)
5/31/09: (36%-26%) = +10 (58%-41%)
6/16/09: (36%-32%) = +4 (56%-43% )
6/30/09: (31%-33%) = -2 (54%-46%)
7/15/09: (29%-36%) = -7 (52%-47%)
7/31/09: (28%-39%) = -11 (48%-51%)
8/17/09: (33%-40%) = -7 (49%-50%)
8/31/09: (30%-41%) = -11 (46%-53%)
9/15/09: (34%-38%) = -4 (50%-50%)
9/30/09: (29%-37%) = -8 (50%-50%)
8/23 was the bleakest for Mr Obama in terms of the index:
27% - 41% = -14
With regards to the Health Care Plan advocated by the Dems, support has dropped to a record low of 41%-56%. After Mr Obama's speech it bumped up to 51%-46% in favor from 50%-50% in June. It seems to me that we are experiencing health care debate fatigue.
Instead, the economy, Afghanistan and Iran are getting more attention and, in all 3 cases, they are now regarded as Mr Obama's issues; no longer President Bush's.

okie

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 04:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
rjb, I am going to predict his numbers will slide within the next week again, to a new low perhaps. We have him acting like a mayor for the Olympics, not good, its for political payoff to friends in Chicago, and unemployment will probably rise when reported tomorrow. Auto sales are tanking, and nothing out there at the foundation of the economy is all that wonderful. His policies are not working, health care is a very big question mark, his advisors are losers, foreign policy is unclear to totally mishandled, and the war in Afghanistan is shaky.
realjohnboy

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:31 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

We have him acting like a mayor for the Olympics, not good, its for political payoff to friends in Chicago...

Come now, Okie. I realize there are those who want to diss Obama every chance they can. Do you realise that the King of Spain. the President of Brazil and the Prime Minister of Japan are doing the same thing Obama is. They are there.
You see some kind of sinister motive.
I think Rio will win, by the way.
Cycloptichorn

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 05:34 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

okie wrote:

We have him acting like a mayor for the Olympics, not good, its for political payoff to friends in Chicago...

Come now, Okie. I realize there are those who want to diss Obama every chance they can. Do you realise that the King of Spain. the President of Brazil and the Prime Minister of Japan are doing the same thing Obama is. They are there.

I don't think Obama would bother to attend if there was any chance of the US not getting it.

Though Rio is a much better choice, IMHO. What's better, naked dancers in the streets, or fat dudes chomping on sausage?

Just kidding Chicago! Love ya!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 06:36 pm
@okie,
Quote:
We have him acting like a mayor for the Olympics, not good

interesting side story, the majority of Chicago Citizens do not want the Olympics to come to their city. Somebody screwed-up, you gotta sell it to the locals before you try to sell it to the IOC.

I grew up in Chicago, so this is no surprise to me. They already know that they are a great city, what are the Olympics going to do for them to make it worth the trouble??
0 Replies

okie

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 07:57 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

okie wrote:

Well I do point it out when I think our president is flubbing up, which is very often, I admit that, as I have no confidence in Obama at all, but you be honest as well, I think you will defend the man even when you know what he is doing is unprofitable or won't work. Sinister motive? Poor choice of words, I don't see it as sinister, I just think we have much bigger things to work on than the Olympics for crying out loud, and if anyone should go there, let it be the mayor of Chicago or perhaps the governor of Illinois. Face it, Obama and many of his friends have a conflict of interest in this, they should recuse themselves from this pronto. Meanwhile we have people losing jobs and dying in Afghanistan, just two other problems among many that are far far more important.

By the way, if he wanted to fix the economy, he could help get started doing that by unleashing the power of the free market, instead of badmouthing the free market, profits, and business at every turn.

And rjb, be honest, what if this was George Bush traveling over there to bring the Olympics to near his place in Texas? And what if his wife was traveling with the woman over there that was on the hospital board that gave her a big fat raise for a non-job at a hospital in Texas, while soldiers are dying in Iraq, and while the economy is tanking? What would you and the press be harping on right now? The elephant in the room is spelled "hypocrisy."
0 Replies

okie

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:39 pm
To all the Obama supporters and voters: which is the honorable thing to do, swallowing your pride and admitting we are going down the wrong road, or continuing to support a president and his policies that you now know or beginning to realize in your heart are inept, incompetent, and wrong for the country? Swallowing ones pride is not easy, but it is far better and more honorable than going down a road that leads to ruin.
hawkeye10

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 08:42 pm
@okie,
what is the viable alternative to Obama? He has 3+ years left in office, and we have some huge problems.

Maybe you should be doing what ever you can to help him out?
Diest TKO

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 01:13 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

To all the Obama supporters and voters: which is the honorable thing to do, swallowing your pride and admitting we are going down the wrong road, or continuing to support a president and his policies that you now know or beginning to realize in your heart are inept, incompetent, and wrong for the country? Swallowing ones pride is not easy, but it is far better and more honorable than going down a road that leads to ruin.

To all the Obama critics: which is the honorable thing to do, swallowing your pride and admitting we are not going down the wrong road, or continuing to demonize a president and his policies that you now know or beginning to realize in your heart are adept, competent, and good for the country? Swallowing ones pride is not easy, but it is far better and more honorable than going down a road to ruin.

T
K
O
0 Replies

okie

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:15 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

what is the viable alternative to Obama? He has 3+ years left in office, and we have some huge problems.

Here was a suggestion I just posted, if he would happen to want to be helped.

Quote:
By the way, if he wanted to fix the economy, he could help get started doing that by unleashing the power of the free market, instead of badmouthing the free market, profits, and business at every turn.

Do that instead of going to Denmark working for his buddies in Chicago. After all, we do have a problem.

Jobless Rate Climbs to 9.8 Percent in September
If laid-off workers who have settled for part-time work or have given up looking for new jobs are included, the unemployment rate rose to 17 percent, the highest on records dating from 1994.

The unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent in September as employers cut far more jobs than expected, evidence that the longest recession since the 1930s is still inflicting widespread pain.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/02/jobless-rate-climbs-percent-september/
FreeDuck

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:28 am
@okie,
So what is your suggestion, exactly? In what way do you want the president to "unleash the power of the free market"?
okie

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:29 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

One more comment. I am not interested in helping Obama out. I am more interested in helping the country and the American people out, and one bit way to do that is to defeat Obama's wrong headed and defeatist policies. To do that, it takes speaking out, using our freedom of speech to condemn policies that are bad for the country.
0 Replies

revel

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:32 am
Most of the bailouts and interference in the "free market" began under Bush; because we had a pretty bad recession of which we are still not recovered from. We had those troubles with a free market. We are still under a free market.

Bush Aids Detroit, but Hard Choices Wait for Obama

Bush signs $700bn economic bail-out plan approved by Congress

Quote:
In a vote watched anxiously by traders on Wall Street, the House of Representatives backed the financial rescue plan by a comfortable margin of 263 to 171. The vote overturned Monday's shock result in which lawmakers opposed it 228 to 205.

(quite a few republicans there)

Bush Signs Housing Bailout Into Law

0 Replies

okie

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:34 am
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

So what is your suggestion, exactly? In what way do you want the president to "unleash the power of the free market"?

Easy.

Suspend the stupid health care push, and work on free market solutions to the problem, and there are many that could be done. Talk to Republicans, that would help. Then get out of the auto business and quit trying to fund ACORN and a few other things like that.

Propose to eliminate all business and corporate income tax. If that was done, you would see a huge business boom in this country. Quit demonizing profits, that would also help. Announce you have a change of heart, that you actually do believe in capitalism, and then mean it.

Stop the stupid cap and trade proposal, it is insanity. That would also restore a little more faith into the energy business. Announce that we are once again going to drill for our oil and gas, and then mean it. Announce that we are not going to tax energy companies to death. He could still offer incentives for solar and wind, no problem, but just don't threaten to kill the whole business.

There are lots of other suggestions, but this would be a start.
FreeDuck

Fri 2 Oct, 2009 08:37 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

Propose to eliminate all business and corporate income tax.

And how would you pay for this? This would necessarily deepen the deficit.

Quote:
Stop the stupid cap and trade proposal, it is insanity. That would also restore a little more faith into the energy business. Announce that we are once again going to drill for our oil and gas, and then mean it. Announce that we are not going to tax energy companies to death. He could still offer incentives for solar and wind, no problem, but just don't threaten to kill the whole business.

There are lots of other suggestions, but this would be a start.

So you essentially want him to go against everything he campaigned on and, after being elected by a clear majority to do those things, announce that he's decided to become a Republican and pursue the policies that we did not vote for.