cicerone imposter

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:51 pm
@cicerone imposter,
This one from the WSJ reflects more of what I remember.

Quote:
Political Interference Seen in Bank Bailout Decisions
Barney Frank Goes to Bat for Lender, and It Gets an Infusion

By DAMIAN PALETTA and DAVID ENRICH

Troubled OneUnited Bank in Boston didn't look much like a candidate for aid from the Treasury Department's bank bailout fund last fall.

The Treasury had said it would give money only to healthy banks, to jump-start lending. But OneUnited had seen most of its capital evaporate. Moreover, it was under attack from its regulators for allegations of poor lending practices and executive-pay abuses, including owning a Porsche for its executives' use.

Nonetheless, in December OneUnited got a $12 million injection from the Treasury's Troubled Asset Relief Program, or TARP. One apparent factor: the intercession of Rep. Barney Frank, the powerful head of the House Financial Services Committee.

Mr. Frank, by his own account, wrote into the TARP bill a provision specifically aimed at helping this particular home-state bank. And later, he acknowledges, he spoke to regulators urging that OneUnited be considered for a cash injection.

Rep. Barney Frank (D., Mass.), seen here leaving a December news conference, urged regulators to consider TARP money for a local bank.
The Washington Times /Landov

Rep. Barney Frank (D., Mass.), seen here leaving a December news conference, urged regulators to consider TARP money for a local bank.

As President Barack Obama's team sets about revising the $700 billion TARP program, following last week's release of the second half of the money, among the issues it faces is widespread dissatisfaction with way the program has been implemented. Treasury Secretary nominee Timothy Geithner, testifying Wednesday at his Senate confirmation hearing, acknowledged "there are serious concerns about transparency and accountability...confusion about the goals of the program, and a deep skepticism about whether we are using the taxpayers' money wisely."
Quote:
realjohnboy

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Don't bother, CI. You are correct that in the early days of this, the govt did force some banks, including small ones which were in NO danger, to accept TARP money. Back at the end of the Bush and start of the Obama admins. PR depts at those banks, including one I deal with, were kept busy trying to explain that they neither needed nor asked for the money.

The point you raised was something about the govt "hiding" something about the severity of the situation.
cicerone imposter

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 05:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
From CNNPolitics.com.

Quote:
July 20, 2009
TARP cop: Get tough on banks
Posted: July 20th, 2009 06:11 PM ET

From CNNMoney.com Senior Writer Jennifer Liberto

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) " The top cop tracking the $700 billion bailout program said Monday that he's concerned federal officials are ignoring his proposals for preventing tax dollars from being wasted or pilfered.

Neil Barofsky, the special inspector general overseeing the Troubled Asset Relief Program, released a 260-page report detailing a long list of concerns about government efforts to prop up hundreds of banks, Wall Street firms and auto companies.

The report criticizes the Treasury Department the most for its unwillingness to adopt some of his recommendations.

Barofsky cites two examples: He wants Treasury to force bailout recipients to keep track of how exactly they are spending TARP funds. He also wants officials to erect a "firewall" to prevent private investment managers " the kind hired to manage and invest taxpayer dollars " from taking advantage of insider knowledge.

"Although Treasury has taken some steps towards improving transparency in TARP programs, it has repeatedly failed to adopt recommendations that SIGTARP believes are essential to providing basic transparency and fulfill Treasury's stated commitment to implement TARP 'with the highest degree of accountability and transparency possible,' " the report stated.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:00 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

cicerone imposter wrote:

(H)e's hiding too much **** including keeping secret which banks got bailout funds. From what I understand, they're not sharing that info, because they're afraid they'll have runs on those smaller banks...

Where does this **** come from? I follow the banking industry closely and I can't find a source for the "keeping secret" claim. Can you? Thank you.

I got hung up in the "keeping secret" thing. Sorry.
0 Replies

roger

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:16 pm
@realjohnboy,
True about some banks being forced, more or less, into accepting TARP. There were also some institutions (for lack of a better word) that converted themselves into bank holding companies, just to take advantage. American Express comes to mind. For those, I feel no sympathy, though there were some unexpected rule changes involving compensation issues that were passed after their acceptance - and applied retroactively. It can't be easy running a business when you not only don't know what the rules will be, but also don't know what they are going to be two months ago.

Not sure I'm using the right tenses there, but this one is tricky.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:18 pm
@spendius,
Is it still okay to drive naked?
It used to be against the law in Virginia to drive bare-foot.
cicerone imposter

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 06:54 pm
@realjohnboy,
Driving naked or without shoes would be difficult to catch, unless...
realjohnboy

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
...you drive a truck.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:39 pm
But we digress from whatever it was we were talking about. Let's re-focus.
maporsche

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 08:44 pm
@realjohnboy,
Yes, back to Barack Obama possibly declaring his intention to run for President and how exciting his primary battle with Clinton, the front runner, will be.

This thread should have been allowed to die on 11/3/08.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sat 19 Sep, 2009 09:33 pm
Quote:
Obama Requests That Paterson Drop Campaign
Published: September 19, 2009
WASHINGTON " President Obama has sent a request to Gov. David A. Paterson that he withdraw from the New York governor’s race, fearing that Mr. Paterson cannot recover from his dismal political standing, according to two senior administration officials and a New York Democratic operative with direct knowledge of the situation.

The decision to ask Mr. Paterson to step aside was proposed by political advisers to Mr. Obama, but approved by the president himself, one of the administration officials said.

“Is there concern about the situation in New York? Absolutely,” the second administration official said Saturday evening. “Has that concern been conveyed to the governor? Yes.”

The administration officials and the Democratic operative spoke on condition of anonymity because the discussions with the governor were intended to be confidential.

The president’s request was conveyed to the Mr. Paterson by Representative Gregory W. Meeks, a Queens Democrat, who has developed a strong relationship with the Obama administration, they said.

The move against a sitting Democratic governor represents an extraordinary intervention into a state political race by the president, and is a delicate one, given that Mr. Paterson is one of only two African-American governors in the nation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/nyregion/20paterson.html?hp

WOW, this just reaffirms that obama is the prototypical 98 pound weakling who gets the sand kicked in his eyes. He is useless. He can't make a putz like Patterson go away?? How then could he make anything happen?
revel

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:36 am
@hawkeye10,
Do you think Obama should arrest the governor to show he can get the sand out of his eyes? I think it more noteworthy that Obama intervened at all by making a request and figure that would be something people would gripe about.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:57 am
@hawkeye10,
No, I think it is merely politics as usual. Paterson is perceived as a a vulnerable candidate, and the pols of his party are trying to ease him out. I don't think that Democrat or Republican; white or black has much to do with it either way.
realjohnboy

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 12:02 pm
@georgeob1,
well stated.
0 Replies

okie

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:28 pm
Obama's foreign policy failure:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/20/obama-draws-charges-confusing-friend-foe/

As President Obama heads to New York City this week for his first speech to the United Nations General Assembly, the new world order is looking a lot fuzzier than it did a year ago.

The president's decision earlier in the week to scrap a planned missile defense shield in Eastern Europe has drawn renewed accusations that the administration is snubbing its allies and appealing to its foes.

Republicans on Sunday continued to criticize Obama for the missile decision, wringing their hands over the message it sends to the world and describing it as a gift to the Russians -- who had objected to the shield.

"This is going to be seen as a capitulation to the Russians, who had no real basis to object to what we were doing. And at the end of the day you empowered the Russians, you made Iran happy and you made the people in Eastern Europe wonder who we are as Americans," Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said on NBC's "Meet the Press."

Graham said the administration's move "undercut two good allies, the Poles and the Czech Republic."
okie

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 07:41 pm
7 former CIA heads from the last 35 years send letter condemning Obama / Holder's interrogating CIA people for possible criminal acts, and urge him to cease this, this is dangerous, it affects the safety of every citizen of the country. Morale in the CIA has never been lower, according to some. These are people that have risked their lives to protect the country. This is a national insult.

Grasp the impact of this, Obama is a total and absolute disaster in regard to decency, national security, common sense.

http://www.foxnews.com/video2/video08.html?maven_referralObject=9744292&maven_referralPlaylistId=&sRevUrl=http://www.foxnews.com/

Another point, mirandizing terror suspects or combatants in some foreign country, have we lost our minds, or rather has Obama lost his mind? Good thing this policy was not in place in World War II, we probably would have lost for sure, or the war would still be going on.
okie

Sun 20 Sep, 2009 09:13 pm
Hmmm, I wonder if Obama is talking about reporting on Obama accusing Republicans of lying, and Pelosi accusing people of being Nazis, and threatening our freedom of speech, etc. ? Does that include Fox reporting on Obama's czars, like Van Jones, that believed Bush brought down the towers? Can we not now report Obama's outrageous suggestion of a national security force? What else are we not allowed to report? Is he preparing us for an initiative to take over the press, to control the content, to return it to civil and polite discourse? Would not surprise me in the least.

Obama Takes Media to Task for Coverage of Racial Controversy, Wilson
The president of the United States uses the Sunday morning talk shows to broadly scold the news media for playing up what he called "rude" and "outrageous" political comments, and urge the 24-hour news networks to consider giving more of a platform to those who demonstrate decency and civility.

Diplomat. Financial regulator. Cheerleader. Doctor.

President Obama's worn all these hats since taking office. Now he's assuming a new role: media critic.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/09/20/obama-takes-media-urges-coverage-rude-voices/
revel

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:01 am
@okie,
Fox new is in a tizzy because they were slighted on Sunday.

Having said it, the president said the republicans have misrepresented parts of the proposals, which have proven to be true. On Pelosi, he apparently thinks she serves no purpose in her rhetoric when she takes up characterizing the opposition and he disagreed with Carter and in that the opposition is all about race.

Quote:
PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, look" David, here's what I'm saying. I" I" I think that" the media loves to have a conversation about race. I mean, the" this is" is catnip to" to" the media because it is a running thread in American history that's very powerful. And it invokes some very strong emotions.

I'm not saying that race " never matters in" in any of these" public debates that we have. What I'm saying is this debate that's taking place is not about race, it's about people being worried about" how our government should operate.

Now, I think a lot of those folks on the other side are wrong. I think that they have entirely mischaracterized the nature of our efforts. And I think it's important that we stay focused on solving problems as opposed to plucking out a sentence here or a comment there. And then the entire debate, which should be about how do we make sure middle class families have secure health care, doesn't get consumed by" other things.

DAVID GREGORY: In that vein, House Speaker Pelosi worried about the opposition, the tone of it, perhaps, leading to violence as it did in the 70s. There's more recent examples of antigovernment violence" occurring even in the mid 90s. Do you worry about that?

PRESIDENT OBAMA: Well, look" I think that we have an obligation in Washington, as leaders, to make sure that we are sending a strong message. That we can disagree without being disagreeable. Without" you know, questioning each other's motives. When we start caricaturing the other side" I think that's a problem.

And" unfortunately, we've got, as I've said before, a 24-hour news cycle where what gets you on the news is controversy. What gets you on the news is the extreme statement. The easiest way to get 15 minutes on the news, or your 15 minutes of fame, is to be rude.

And that's" that's" something that I think has to change. And it starts with me. And I've tried to make sure that I've sent a clear signal. And I've tried to maintain an approach that says, look, we can have some serious disagreements but, at the end of the day, I'm assuming that you want the best for America just like I do.

source

nothing wrong with any of that
revel

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:04 am
@okie,
In the first place, the cat is out of the bag and the rest of the world already knows much of this.

More importantly it is important to us a nation to see if our government did anything wrong and if they did, address it and make sure they don't again.
0 Replies

revel

Mon 21 Sep, 2009 07:14 am
@okie,
On the missle defense issue:

Obama's missile defense decision represents the victory of pragmatism over ideology.

0 Replies