cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:14 pm
@aidan,
That is "fair play" any way you slice it; only it works as a double-whammy against those very people who keep preaching laissez faire. They were not cheated nor forced to buy anything; they willingly bought the products on the "free market place."
spendius

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:16 pm
@aidan,
Hey Becks. You needn't be a rabid right-winger to support the life of unborn children.

Pro-choice means pro abortion. Pro life means anti abortion.

You're talking about abortion without using the word. Why?
aidan

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Did they think they were contributing to McCain's campaign?
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:17 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
You're talking about abortion without using the word. Why?

Because that's what the two sides call each other.
Foxfyre

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:25 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
Not to mention that unscrupulous types misrepresenting something like that, for their own pruposes, are likely to create huge amounts of distrust that hurt all legitimate causes.

Exactly! The thought of wanting to 'win' anything using such methods...whatever happened to 'fair play'?

And I voted for Obama - but that sort of thing makes me cringe- as if he needed or wanted that sort of underhanded crap done on his behalf or in his name.

I don't think Obama would have condoned that. While I think he is as capable of dishonesty in politics as the next politician, I can't imagine him wanting any of his supporters to admit or get caught being intentionally deceptive.

There is nothing wrong with a professional vendor selling whatever he agrees with or disagrees with, and if he sells McCain stuff at a McCain rally and then goes over to sell Obama stuff at an Obama rally, I have no problem with that. His intent is to make earn a profit for himself and who he actually supports makes no difference.

In the case you and I are objecting to, however, the person involved was obviously misrepresenting the cause. I would be as offended, even more offended, if a McCain supporter did that at an Obama rally.

aidan

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:29 pm
@Foxfyre,

Quote:
In the case you and I are objecting to, however, the person involved was obviously misrepresenting the cause. I would be as offended, even more offended, if a McCain supporter did that at an Obama rally.

Fact! (as I've seen diest say).
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:33 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
Not to mention that unscrupulous types misrepresenting something like that, for their own pruposes, are likely to create huge amounts of distrust that hurt all legitimate causes.

You're describing Wall St.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:37 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Semantics. Scary that you can be so lacking in integrity to support such manipulation.

There's was no manipulation, Aidan. Those folks saw the product, liked the price and willingly, handed over their money.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:38 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Diest - even I can see how that's cheating. They thought they were contributing to one thing and she fooled them into contributing to something they would never otherwise have contributed to.

When I buy a poppy or a keychain - I don't want the poppy or key chain - I'm contributing to a cause that means something to me - like veteran's hospitals and/or nature conservancy.
If they told me (or led me to believe in any way) they were selling those things in support of those causes and then I found out they were funding the British National Party with the money - I'd be pissed (angry - not drunk) - and feel very cheated.

I'm afraid I really don't understand. Buying this merchandise was not equivalent to 'donating to the cause' or something of the like; it was on sale in order to make the vendor money.

If that's the case, why is it cheating, for a vendor to push merchandise that they may or may not actually agree with politically - and to have a sales pitch? Who is being cheated?

Cycloptichorn
JTT

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:45 pm
@Foxfyre,
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with a professional vendor selling whatever he agrees with or disagrees with, and if he sells McCain stuff at a McCain rally and then goes over to sell Obama stuff at an Obama rally, I have no problem with that. His intent is to make earn a profit for himself and who he actually supports makes no difference.

Stunningly disjointed logic!

Two reasons I can think of that this might occur, and personal integrity, despite the showboating, clearly ain't one of them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:51 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Actually that very good marketing skill; go where the products will sell.

When I worked in retail, the main goal for our stores were location, location, location.
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:55 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
This reminds me of the McCain rally I went to here in northern Virginia. I saw a lady spouting anti-Obama slogans and selling buttons. She got a lot of attention and sold a hell of a lot. I told her I didn't want a button or a shirt. Interestingly, later a friend found a video blogger who had attended the same rallies as me and thought I might appreciate it. When the McCain rally part happened, I saw the guy interview the same woman after the rally. she started the anti-Obama rant and then finally started to laugh and then took off her t-shirt to reveal that she was wearing an Obama shirt under it. she then counted all the money she made that day.

Was the money hers? Or was she donating part of it to Obama's campaign?
Even if she didn't say she was supporting McCain's campaign- were the people who bought the shirts under the impression that they were supporting McCain's campaign while actually supporting O'bama's?
Quote:
I laughed soooooooo hard.

I guess I got that impression because of this statement Diest made -and also because I know when I buy an item, I usually think, even when I haven't been led to believe so by any other means but that in the past it's been true, that I am not only buying an item - I am contributing to a cause.
Quote:
The Dems know business, they know capitalism.

And what the hell does this mean? In this day and age? It sounds like someone crowing about pulling the wool over someone else's eyes and it's distasteful to me - given our current business and economic climate and the FACT that so many Americans have been screwed by manipulative business people who lack honesty and integrity.

I just don't find it funny - even if she made money for herself- I don't find her methods humorous.
spendius

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 03:25 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
Semantics. Scary that you can be so lacking in integrity to support such manipulation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 03:29 pm
@aidan,
aiden, For those of us who continues to hear the conservative meme about free enterprise, it was funny! As for her making money at it, see my previous posts about good marketing skills.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:09 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
This reminds me of the McCain rally I went to here in northern Virginia. I saw a lady spouting anti-Obama slogans and selling buttons. She got a lot of attention and sold a hell of a lot. I told her I didn't want a button or a shirt. Interestingly, later a friend found a video blogger who had attended the same rallies as me and thought I might appreciate it. When the McCain rally part happened, I saw the guy interview the same woman after the rally. she started the anti-Obama rant and then finally started to laugh and then took off her t-shirt to reveal that she was wearing an Obama shirt under it. she then counted all the money she made that day.

Was the money hers? Or was she donating part of it to Obama's campaign?
Even if she didn't say she was supporting McCain's campaign- were the people who bought the shirts under the impression that they were supporting McCain's campaign while actually supporting O'bama's?
Quote:
I laughed soooooooo hard.

I guess I got that impression because of this statement Diest made -and also because I know when I buy an item, I usually think, even when I haven't been led to believe so by any other means but that in the past it's been true, that I am not only buying an item - I am contributing to a cause.
Quote:
The Dems know business, they know capitalism.

And what the hell does this mean? In this day and age? It sounds like someone crowing about pulling the wool over someone else's eyes and it's distasteful to me - given our current business and economic climate and the FACT that so many Americans have been screwed by manipulative business people who lack honesty and integrity.

I just don't find it funny - even if she made money for herself- I don't find her methods humorous.

The money was hers. She was free to use it for anything she pleased. She could use it to pay rent or donate to the Obama campaign. You don't pretend to tell other what they can do with their own money do you?

She was under no obligation to tell her customers what she planned to do with her money or her political leanings. Period.

It wasn't done in the name of Obama either, it was just a perfect illustration of how people need to know their market. Unintentionally, it seems to have additionally illustrate that the idea of cheating is poorly understood.

I work weird hours and I drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks. I found out that the rabid talk show conservative Michael Savage is one of the owners of the Rockstar energy drink company. He spouts all sort of hateful speech towards homosexuals. Upon learning this, I decided that I no longer wanted to drink that energy drink. That's my right as a customer. I do not have the right to light up torches and march on his doorstep and demand a refund for all the Rockstar Energy Drinks I drank prior to learning this association. Further, when I bought those drinks, I wasn't cheated either. Was it unfair that I wasn't told that buying Rockstar energy drinks went to support a man like Savage? No. All was fair, and I wasn't cheated. I paid the price for the product I wanted then. I very well could have learned of the association and decided to continue to drink those drinks.

T
K
O
spendius

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:23 pm
@Diest TKO,
Are these button and shirt messages copyrighted. Was the vicinity of the gig franchised.

I don't believe this story. It stinks. I think TK was doing the scam. Or he had read about it.

Energy drinks are drugs aren't they? There doesn't seem any point to them otherwise. TK must need artificial stimulents.

He's got a problem though if he's going to stop buying products which are connected to money earned by people who make derogatory remarks about male homosexuals.
0 Replies

aidan

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:19 pm
@Diest TKO,
Quote:
I work weird hours and I drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks. I found out that the rabid talk show conservative Michael Savage is one of the owners of the Rockstar energy drink company. He spouts all sort of hateful speech towards homosexuals. Upon learning this, I decided that I no longer wanted to drink that energy drink. That's my right as a customer. I do not have the right to light up torches and march on his doorstep and demand a refund for all the Rockstar Energy Drinks I drank prior to learning this association. Further, when I bought those drinks, I wasn't cheated either. Was it unfair that I wasn't told that buying Rockstar energy drinks went to support a man like Savage? No. All was fair, and I wasn't cheated. I paid the price for the product I wanted then. I very well could have learned of the association and decided to continue to drink those drinks

Right, but did he put a little rainbow flag on the label so you'd think that he was pro gay, lesbian and transgender civil rights when in fact he wasn't?

If you can't see the difference in the two scenarios - maybe you're not so much smarter than those of us who you don't think understand the concept of a patently deceptive and dishonest business transaction - which I call 'cheating'. You can call it whatever you want.
But I'm sure as hell glad you're not teaching courses in the study of business ethics.

Laughing at people getting suckered (even if they're republicans) is reprehensible.
It's exactly why my father, who was a very successful business man, retired at the age of 56. He'd made enough to take care of himself and my mother for the rest of their lives and he could no longer function in the world of business where he said, there was less and less integrity and ethical lines that wouldn't have been crossed or even toed in the past were being obliterated. This was twenty years ago. And look where we are now.
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 09:32 pm
@aidan,
aiden, Where are you coming from? In this country, anybody can open a store and sell goods or services without displaying who they really are politically or religion-wise. No customer asks what their background is before they consent to buy something. Nobody cares who owns the shop if they carry the products we are interested in buying. They can fly the American flag even if their true sentiment is for our enemy such as the Taliban/al Qaida (extreme example, but still true).

That's good marketing, nothing else.

Do you know who the owners are of every store you purchase from? Do you expect them to display who they are if their home base is other than the US? Not all deceptions are frauds. Many advertisements are deceptive.

Many foreign companies own and operate their business in this country. There is no law that requires them to display their "home" country. Many foreign companies hire Americans workers.

What's your problem?

You are unreasonable in your expectations about requiring all business owners to show who they are. BTW, they are not cheating anybody. That's your perception which is way off from common sense. Nobody is required to buy from any store; it's all voluntary.

Diest TKO

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:09 pm
@aidan,
aidan wrote:

Quote:
I work weird hours and I drink a lot of coffee and energy drinks. I found out that the rabid talk show conservative Michael Savage is one of the owners of the Rockstar energy drink company. He spouts all sort of hateful speech towards homosexuals. Upon learning this, I decided that I no longer wanted to drink that energy drink. That's my right as a customer. I do not have the right to light up torches and march on his doorstep and demand a refund for all the Rockstar Energy Drinks I drank prior to learning this association. Further, when I bought those drinks, I wasn't cheated either. Was it unfair that I wasn't told that buying Rockstar energy drinks went to support a man like Savage? No. All was fair, and I wasn't cheated. I paid the price for the product I wanted then. I very well could have learned of the association and decided to continue to drink those drinks

Right, but did he put a little rainbow flag on the label so you'd think that he was pro gay, lesbian and transgender civil rights when in fact he wasn't?

Doesn't matter. I still wouldn't be entitled to a refund. The gay things was only one of many things I don't like about Savage. The mistake you're making here is that the product that is sold exists because there is a demand for it. That woman wasn't the only person selling merchandise that day, and her chances were exactly the same at selling her "Nobama" pin as the next person selling their "Nobama" button.

If I am a person who sells novelty buttons with a political message, should I try hard to get people to buy my button or not?

She brought a product that people wanted, and sold it at a price they found acceptable.

aidan wrote:

If you can't see the difference in the two scenarios - maybe you're not so much smarter than those of us who you don't think understand the concept of a patently deceptive and dishonest business transaction - which I call 'cheating'. You can call it whatever you want.
But I'm sure as hell glad you're not teaching courses in the study of business ethics.

Call it cheating aidan. I won't nitpick your use of a very well understood term.

Deceptive, I'll give you.
Dishonest, I'll give you.

The customer wasn't making a donation remember. They were exchanging cash for a good. It would have been unethical if the woman had pretended to be a fundraiser. She didn't. She sold a product.

Just like the Redbull girls. Who knows if they even like Redbull. It's in their interest to sell their product to the customer though.

aidan wrote:

Laughing at people getting suckered (even if they're republicans) is reprehensible.

Suckered? How were they suckered? Did they NOT GET EXACTLY what they wanted? Did the product malfunction? Was it of poor quality?

aidan wrote:

It's exactly why my father, who was a very successful business man, retired at the age of 56. He'd made enough to take care of himself and my mother for the rest of their lives and he could no longer function in the world of business where he said, there was less and less integrity and ethical lines that wouldn't have been crossed or even toed in the past were being obliterated. This was twenty years ago. And look where we are now.

The joke was the lady, but here is the punchline. Your father I wager believed in providing people with a quality product that they wanted. When your father retired it was in a time of massive deregulation and corporate carte blanche (Reagan and Bush) in that era, we started to see the shift from the customer having the power to a system where the business has the power because the business gets to control the market and gets to tell you what you want.

You may not like that this woman capitalized on a demand. Is there a principle of business ethics that says that the conservatives were privileged/entitled to capitalizing on that specific demand?

T
K
O
cicerone imposter

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 10:15 pm
@Diest TKO,
Diest, I was going to use "deception" too, but that's not really applicable to this situation, because there were other vendors selling the same products.

How can that be deceit? How many of those vendors were republicans and how many were democrats? It brings it to a silly conclusion. Republicans can also sell democratic wares at any democratic function; it's a free market country.
0 Replies