okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:55 pm
@dyslexia,
I admit I did not look it up. Why is Goldwater so important? I am guessing there was no love lost between them.
realjohnboy

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:56 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

( F)ace it, the Supreme Court supposedly is made up of the best of the lot and they can manage to invent stuff in the constitution that was never written.

What recent decisions are you thinking of?
okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 07:59 pm
@realjohnboy,
Please don't take this thread off in that direction, but obviously abortion is based upon the right to privacy, which is pure invention. I am not going to argue this point. Suffice it to say that even some people in favor of abortion see this as a very bad decision, not constitutionally sound.
realjohnboy

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:13 pm
@okie,
You really, perhaps, should look up the relationship between Goldwater and Nixon. It was not, as you suggest, the liberal media dragging down Nixon. There were many of his fellow Repubs after his head. Do a search on that. A pretty fascinating story.
dyslexia

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:19 pm
@okie,
I can lead a horse to water but I can't make it wear swimming trunks.
cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:22 pm
@okie,
Abortion is not based on the "right to privacy." It's based on pro-choice; the right for a woman with her doctor to decide what's best for the woman without government intrusion.

e
hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Do we really, really, really need to deal with abortion right now????
cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:24 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, I'm only responding to okie's post:
Quote:
Please don't take this thread off in that direction, but obviously abortion is based upon the right to privacy, which is pure invention.

0 Replies

dyslexia

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No decision of the Supreme Court in the twentieth century has been as controversial as the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision holding that women have a right to choose to have an abortion during the first two trimesters of a pregnancy. Attorneys for Roe had suggested several constitutional provisions might be violated by the Texas law prohibiting abortions except when necessary to save the life of the mother. The law was said to have been an establishment of religion in violation of the First Amendment, unconstitionally vague (the ground used in Blackmun's first draft of his opinion), a denial of equal protection of the laws, and a violation of the Ninth Amendment (which states that certain rights not specified in the first eight amendments are reserved to the people). The Court in Roe chose, however, to base its decision on the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment and the so-called "right of privacy" protected in earlier decisions such as Griswold v Connecticut (striking down a ban on the use, sale, and distribution of contraceptives). Deciding HOW to protect the right to an abortion proved as difficult. Justice Blackmun's approach, one clerk at the time said, "As a practical matter, was not a bad decision--but as a constitutional matter it was absurd." Roe's trimester-based analysis generally prohibits regulation of abortions in the first trimester, allows regulation for protecting the health of the mother in the second trimester, and allows complete abortion bans after six months, the approximate time a fetus becomes viable.
hawkeye10

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:32 pm
@dyslexia,
I see that we do......SUPER!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:32 pm
@dyslexia,
Oops! My mistake. What I can't reconcile in my own mind is "it's a privacy matter, but the government can determine the period in how its applied." It's no longer a "privacy matter."
0 Replies

okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 08:55 pm
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

You really, perhaps, should look up the relationship between Goldwater and Nixon. It was not, as you suggest, the liberal media dragging down Nixon. There were many of his fellow Repubs after his head. Do a search on that. A pretty fascinating story.

A good point, rjb, I have pointed out many many times that the Republicans told Nixon it was time to go. Country trumped Party. Isn't that nice! That is the way it is supposed to be. Not so with Clinton, or with Obama for that matter. Party trumps country. When it was clear that Clinton was corrupt, it was circle the wagons time for Democrats, and they do that every time anyone in their party is implicated in corruption, whether it is the president or a congressman.

But I still say you need to have a press that cares about the truth, about the law, and about the country more than their chosen party, to help drive public opinion, and to drive the process of cleaning up politics. If the media had taken Nixon's side and protected him, I doubt he would have ever left office, and the people investigating would have lost heart. After all, as I have pointed out, JFK and LBJ wiretapped, but nobody cared.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:00 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

I have heard said that the press is worth at least 15 points in an election. I personally think that is a conservative estimate, and of course over time, it can possibly be expanded.

Sounds more like a conservative excuse to me.
okie wrote:

That is why I believe Bush was so tarnished, the press pounded on him for 8 years, and it is nothing short of miraculous that he won a second term and ended up with 30% or so approval rating after the program of spin went on as long as it did.

You saying Bush's actions didn't earn him his approval rating? You can''t push his poor performance off on anyone else.

Besides, your assessment is false. Bush was not tarnished in the media for 8 years. After the recount was over, things were pretty neutral, and after 9/11 he was really favored. He had a good media even during the invasion of Afghanistan. It was in (late 2002 and early) 2003 that the fire started to get lit under his administration with the public debate on Iraq. He even enjoyed some unearned media respect with early stay-the-course nonsense. It was only after we realized that fighting was still fierce a year after his cute speech on the aircraft carrier that this Iraq bullshit was recognized. It was after Katrina's mishandling that he really was hated.

Bush wasn't being judged unfairly. He earned his "F."

The test wasn't rigged.
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:10 pm
Quote:
Hawaii: Obama birth certificate is real
By Dan Nakaso, The Honolulu Advertiser

In an attempt to quash persistent rumors that President Obama was not born in Honolulu on Aug. 4, 1961, Hawaii's health director reiterated this afternoon that she has personally seen Obama's birth certificate in the Health Department's archives.

"I, Dr. Chiyome Fukino, director of the Hawaii State Department of Health, have seen the original vital records maintained on file by the Hawai'i State Department of Health verifying Barrack Hussein Obama was born in Hawaii and is a natural-born American citizen. I have nothing further to add to this statement or my original statement issued in October 2008 over eight months ago...."

On Oct. 31, Fukino originally tried to put an end to the belief among so-called "birthers" that Obama was not born in the United States and thus was ineligible to run for the office of president.

Despite Fukino's statement today, the issue continued to resonate from Capitol Hill to the national airwaves to the blogosphere.

CNN's Lou Dobbs reported that Hawaii officials had destroyed Obama's original 1961 birth certificate without citing a source.

A congressional resolution introduced by Hawaii Rep. Neil Abercrombie commemorating the 50th anniversary of Island statehood was postponed today apparently because of a "whereas" clause noting Obama's Hawaii birthplace.

The line "Whereas the 44th President of the United States, Barack Obama, was born in Hawaii on August 4, 1961;" has been construed by some who believe Obama is not a U.S.-born citizen as a thinly veiled attempt to get Congress to affirm Obama's U.S. Citizenship," Abercrombie spokesman Dave Helfert said.

So-called "birthers" denounce the notion that Obama was born in Kapiolani Maternity & Gynecological Hospital in Honolulu on Aug. 4, 1961, despite court rulings and statements by Fukino and Hawaii's Republican governor, Linda Lingle.

Abercrombie's office had already issued a statement today announcing the House's unanimous approval of Abercrombie's resolution when Minnesota Republican Congresswoman Michele Bachmann rose today to object to the vote, saying there was not a quorum present.

Before Bachman's objection, Abercrombie spokesman Helfert had said some birthers believe the resolution "means the House of Representatives is on the record that Hawaii is the birthplace of the president of the United States."

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-07-27-obama-hawaii_N.htm

T
K
O
okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:17 pm
@Diest TKO,
They needed to tell Obama's grandmother that he wasn't born in Kenya then.

I have no clue, he was probably born in Hawaii, but I just wish they would have told his grandma, and others!
0 Replies

okie

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 09:47 pm
Interesting business owner has hot selling political items, like bumper stickers like this one: “Work Harder, Obama Needs the Money”

Some people trying to run the guy out of doing business, however.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534989,00.html
Diest TKO

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 10:43 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Interesting business owner has hot selling political items, like bumper stickers like this one: “Work Harder, Obama Needs the Money”

Some people trying to run the guy out of doing business, however.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,534989,00.html

People are allowed to do that you know. It is our right to spend or not spend our money how we choose. For that matter, if a retailer thinks that the sale of a certain product is going to hurt the overall business, they can discontinue selling it or catering to vendors that sell it (assuming that it doesn't conflict with any previous contract).

What would be illegal is if the state or federal government stopped the sale of said items.

Let's speak frankly. If I was selling these kinds of products, I'd know my market better. The vendor isn't entitled to sell all of his products, they have to work to sell it. If you want to sell anti-Obama stuff go to your crowd. Go see if you can sell the stickers at a gun shop or some other place.

Geez. I thought the Republicans knew capitalism. They don't seem to know business.

This reminds me of the McCain rally I went to here in northern Virginia. I saw a lady spouting anti-Obama slogans and selling buttons. She got a lot of attention and sold a hell of a lot. I told her I didn't want a button or a shirt. Interestingly, later a friend found a video blogger who had attended the same rallies as me and thought I might appreciate it. When the McCain rally part happened, I saw the guy interview the same woman after the rally. she started the anti-Obama rant and then finally started to laugh and then took off her t-shirt to reveal that she was wearing an Obama shirt under it. she then counted all the money she made that day.

I laughed soooooooo hard. The Dems know business, they know capitalism.

T
K
O
cicerone imposter

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 11:32 pm
@Diest TKO,
Good story; a sort of double-whammy in capitalism. LOL
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:48 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I can lead a horse to water but I can't make it wear swimming trunks.

That's typically American. The desire to be different from the received wisdom in order to look clever and making a complete balls of it. Of course you can make a horse wear swimming trunks. Snorkels and flippers as well. Piece of cake.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 05:51 am
It's that syndrome which said that if the ball is allowed to bounce on the pitch we won't do it. And you got baseball as a result. Which was a disaster.
0 Replies