maporsche

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 04:32 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I RTFA too Cyclops. So get off your horse.

BAU in DC.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 08:57 pm
I have shown nothing but support for Obama on these fora since he was elected, but I must say I'm disappointed in him for jetting to NYC for a weekend of leisure and Broadway shows with GM on the brink of going bankrupt.

And I, for one, don't remember any leftists complaining when Bush would take a trip to Crawford, TX, so don't even try and bring that up.
H2O MAN

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 09:03 pm

You are not alone, disappointment in Obama is growing.
0 Replies

okie

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 10:04 pm
I reminder here about what is going on in America, as warned by John Wayne a long time ago. We have a hyphenated America now, a hyphenated president, and now a hyphenated supreme court appointment to deal with.

cicerone imposter

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 10:44 pm
@Ticomaya,
Tico, No president is ever going to do everything we will approve. Live with it!
okie

Mon 1 Jun, 2009 11:20 pm
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

I have shown nothing but support for Obama on these fora since he was elected, but I must say I'm disappointed in him for jetting to NYC for a weekend of leisure and Broadway shows with GM on the brink of going bankrupt.

And I, for one, don't remember any leftists complaining when Bush would take a trip to Crawford, TX, so don't even try and bring that up.

Did Bush fly clear from D.C. to Texas for a night out on the town? Just wondering? I don't remember, but it seems he went to Crawford for more than a few hours of fun?

And if Obama would go to New York, or even Chicago, to cut a bunch of brush, I would not complain at all. In fact, I would like to see that happen. Maybe he could help clean up some of the yards in those run down housing complexes he helped fund?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:27 am
@cicerone imposter,

Yeah, but PrezBO is on track to do less things we will approve of than any previous president.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 06:35 am
Thanks Ovomit, I own a car company.

I didn't want to own a car company.
Cycloptichorn

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 09:04 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Really?

Do you suppose, that not attending a play would have saved GM somehow?

I think it will be instructive to see how many days out of his first term or year Obama spends on 'vacation,' and then compare it to past presidents; wouldn't you say? The chances of him beating Bush or Reagan are rather slim.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 09:13 am
@cjhsa,
cjhsa wrote:

I didn't want to own a car company.

Me neither, and if I wanted to own a car company GM would not have been my choice.
Obama's bailout of GM is simply his way of paying off the UAW for their support and votes.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 02:14 pm
It's hair and nail beauty salons now. Haven't you heard?
H2O MAN

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 02:24 pm
@spendius,

Haven't you heard... it's all about ball bearings now.
spendius

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:19 pm
@H2O MAN,
Due north I suppose.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 03:53 pm
In a wide scope of topics ranging from interesting tidbits to 'the emperor has no clothes' categories, the early reviews of Richard Wolfie's new book Renegage. The Making of a President looks intriguing.

Quote:
'Renegade' CliffsNotes

POLITICO obtains a copy of former Newsweek reporter Richard Wolffe's new book about the 2008 campaign.
Photo: AP

The flood of books devoted to the 2008 campaign and President Barack Obama begins in earnest this week with the release of “Renegade, The Making of a President,” by former Newsweek reporter Richard Wolffe.

Wolffe’s account of the Obama campaign isn’t to be officially released until Tuesday, but POLITICO obtained a copy earlier this week.

Herewith are some of the book’s most fascinating nuggets:

No Shrum Moment:

Before the election had been called, but when it looked promising for Obama the then-candidate called his top adviser, David Axelrod.

“What’s going on?” Obama asked.

“Look, I’m not going to say congratulations yet, but boy, it looks awfully good,” Axelrod replied.

Axelrod, Wolffe notes, wanted to avoid a repeat of 2004, when John Kerry’s top adviser, Bob Shrum, told the Massachusetts senator prematurely on election night that he wanted to be the first to say, “Mr. President.”

Pritzker Veers Off-Message (A little):

The impressive fundraising Obama demonstrated in 2007 was largely a result of the usual high-dollar contributors " not the small-dollar donors the campaign liked to hold up to the press.

“It wasn’t the Internet,” admitted Penny Pritzker, Obama’s national finance chair.

Talking To Himself:

The revamped stump speech Obama gave to Iowa Democrats at their Jefferson-Jackson Dinner in November of 2007 was borne out of a speech Obama scribe Jon Favreau had written for the candidate earlier that month in South Carolina.

Favreau trimmed the original version and sent it to Obama who had to memorize it for what became a pivotal moment leading up to the Iowa caucuses.

Aides were concerned that Obama was not prepared to give the speech, but he largely got it right on his first run-through a day before the dinner.

“None of Obama’s aides knew that the candidate had been rehearsing in his Des Moines hotel room all week,” Wolffe writes. [Press secretary Robert] Gibbs had walked by his room a couple of times, heard a loud television behind the door, and wondered what was going on. Obama had turned the volume up to practice the speech to himself, out of sight and earshot of even his closest staff.”

Michelle As Strategist:

The morning after Obama lost the early-March Ohio and Texas primaries, campaign manager David Plouffe suffered through an uncomfortable car ride with the candidate and his wife, Michelle Obama.

The future first lady, writes Wolffe, “threatened not to return to the campaign trail until they had come up with a new strategy.”

Says Plouffe: “I think she was pissed at both of us.”
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0609/23218.html
realjohnboy

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 04:30 pm
@Foxfyre,
Politico considers these to be "fascinating nuggets" from Wolffe's new book. Looks like a waste of trees to me printing it.
0 Replies

JTT

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 04:42 pm
@okie,
An opinion from a swaggering piece of cow dung is still just cow dung. John Wayne the "patriot"/draft dodger.
cicerone imposter

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:30 pm
@JTT,
A while back, somebody brought on the idea that we must separate the actor from his politics and religion, and just enjoy their acting skills. I think that's a good idea.
spendius

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Most people here having been doing that since I was a kid.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:40 pm
Good evening. I chose Rasmussen as the pollsters for my bi-weekly report on President Obama's approval ratings because they are regarded by some as having a conservative bias and I am a liberal. A bit of balance.
I have been prowling around their site and am a bit stunned at how much polling they actually do. Politics and Economics, but also Sports and Entertainment: "Who do you think will be the next Hollywood couple to publicly hurl food at each other in order to get their pictures on the cover of a tabloid in order to try to revive sagging careers?"
So Rasmussen has this game going where folks can predict what the upcoming poll results will be. For example, one of the polls coming up is "Do you think Tim Geitner will still be Secretary of Treasury at the end of 2009?" Players have to get past what they think and focus on the 1500 people to be polled. That is tough to do. I have been burnt a couple of times by failing to recognize that.
Anyway, I draw attention to that thing on Rasmussen for folks here who love games or who think they have the pulse on the thoughts of the American public. So far I have 25 points, still at the shallow end of the "Beginners" pool.
The game is a bit tricky to navigate, in that you, to my mind, have to remember which polls you have picked in. They do send you an email after the fact to tell you how you did.
Foxfyre

Tue 2 Jun, 2009 05:47 pm
@realjohnboy,
Rasmussen has been accused of having a conservative bias, but he has ranked #1 in accuracy in the last two elections. How biased could he be?