Just Looking...

Chai

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:36 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I couldn't spend months shopping for furniture. I'd look online, find a general style/type/color I want, hit a few places, and buy something. Maybe that's the difference, I always research things a lot online, so when I'm out shopping, I'm usually ready to buy.

Actually slappy, it's pretty unusual for me to look so long. In addition, if I was buying bedroom furniture or getting new stuff for a bathroom, it wouldn't take long at all. I mean, I want the bedroom to look nice, but it's not like an area everyone who walks in the house sees. As for bathrooms, even a really fancy set up doesn't take long, since mostly you buy all the stuff that goes together anyway.

The situation I had here with the dining room, living room & library was unique. I had a totally blank slate to carpet, tile, paint, furnish and decorate. I made up my mind it was going to be absolutely gorgeous, and if something I knew would be perfect cost a few bucks more than, "well, that's pretty nice" I went for it. Seriously, I may never have to decorate again.

My husband was on board with this totally, he was the one building/remodeling the place, and it wasn't going to be anything but our own.

I'll be honest, when I did see the price of my "perfect" furniture, I did say "yowzers"…..instead of making it a big deal with discussions of, "yeah, we'll go ahead and get it, but it's expensive", I did this old technique…I'm sure you've done this one slappy.

I said to the better half (who hates shopping)….OK, I have 3 sets I want you to look at, I won't ask you to go anywhere else….It's down to these 3 and need your input. Plus, after we go to these three places, I'll take you out to lunch.

First we went to the place that had something that I actually liked, but had the feeling I wouldn't love living with it forever. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't overly expensive….

He looked at it and said…"This is really nice, I like it" (maybe hoping a little I'd say - ok great, lets forget the rest)

Then we went to the place with the set I really liked…he said "wow, yeah, this is beautiful, and you're right, it's pretty expensive.

Finally, we went to the place where they were having a big sale, and showed him what I picked out there….

"God, that things really ugly! No, I don't even want to sit in it, I'll tell you right now I don't like it. Even though it was much less (and less quality) he said immediately we should go for the 2nd set. He saw you get what you pay for.

It wasn't like I was fooling him on purpose…just needed him to look at the big picture.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
Lash wrote:
I understand salespeople have been told to approach me, and I'm very friendly at that point. I even extend the courtesy, when they tell me of sales or specials immediately after that. It really pisses me off if they continue to follow me about. I have, many times, after three or four tight monosyllabic responses, no eye-contact and walking toward items of interest, stopped and turned to them and said, "Please don't follow me."

I like to look at what I want to look at, not what they want to drag me over to-- I don't want to talk, until I've seen what I want to see. If I have questions, I know where to find them. I don't like the whole idea of "being sold." Car dealerships are the worst. They actually arrange the cars in a maze, so you can't get out of there, without being trapped long enough for them to sprint over to you. At some point, a person is going to have a question about a product they intend to buy. I just really resent the mad dash to "bag me" as I enter.

If the person pleasantly follows my request, I make sure they are who I ask for when I'm ready to buy. I've worked in sales and understand how they are paid.

I mean, I tip at least 20%--and that's for basic service, not good service.

But, if you're my waitress, don't sit down at my table with me or tell me about your life. I'm there to enjoy a meal.

I've told car salesmen that I'll remember them if I buy, only if they'll leave me alone. One guy said his boss was watching, and he couldn't leave me.

I guess there are all kinds of opinions about browsing. I like to browse.

This is how I feel about it, Lash. It bothers be enough when I'm followed around a store, that I'll take my business somewhere else. It makes me feel like hunted prey.
I also like to be left alone to look at what I want and then when I find something I like, I flag down a rep and we go from there.

One time I was shopping for some cloths and when one of the reps wouldn't stop following me around, I turned around and said "can I help you"? LOL! i was in a bad mood that day.

Like you, I'm always focused on what I want and not what they want me to want.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:45 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Lash wrote:
I understand salespeople have been told to approach me, and I'm very friendly at that point. I even extend the courtesy, when they tell me of sales or specials immediately after that. It really pisses me off if they continue to follow me about. I have, many times, after three or four tight monosyllabic responses, no eye-contact and walking toward items of interest, stopped and turned to them and said, "Please don't follow me."

I like to look at what I want to look at, not what they want to drag me over to-- I don't want to talk, until I've seen what I want to see. If I have questions, I know where to find them. I don't like the whole idea of "being sold." Car dealerships are the worst. They actually arrange the cars in a maze, so you can't get out of there, without being trapped long enough for them to sprint over to you. At some point, a person is going to have a question about a product they intend to buy. I just really resent the mad dash to "bag me" as I enter.

If the person pleasantly follows my request, I make sure they are who I ask for when I'm ready to buy. I've worked in sales and understand how they are paid.

But, if you're my waitress, don't sit down at my table with me or tell me about your life. I'm there to enjoy a meal.

I've told car salesmen that I'll remember them if I buy, only if they'll leave me alone. One guy said his boss was watching, and he couldn't leave me.

but you do understand the difference between stalking and remaining at a discreet distance to be available to give service if necessary right?

I don't want you to think I'm criticising you.

Whatever you're doing must be working, evidenced by your success.

Seeing someone hovering makes me feel uncomfortable, pressured, like prey...

That's just me. I'm glad you're doing well.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:46 am
"Just looking" is an inexpensive form of entertainment. I know some people who go to open houses, purely for entertainment (or to be nosey).

We do have furniture stores in Mass and Southern New Hampshire that I can go to regularly for free entertainment - one has a Madri Gras theme with shows going on through out the day - one has a motion ride (that costs money) - one has a trapeze area (you can go on the trapeze (that too costs money), but it is free and fun to watch. Each of these stores has some sort of free entertainment.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:50 am
Another thing to consider when wondering why the salesperson may seem to be following you around.... at least once a day someone I've greeted nicely, given a quick run down to and then respectfully stepped away to give them some browsing time, someone who has assured me they will ask for me when they're ready, will be seen working with another salesperson. Buyers if you don't care about that kind of thing, why should the salesperson?

Then there's the person who comes in and works you right to the close and then walks on some excuse and you see them the next day trying to work down another salesperson to get a cheaper price.

I had a guy ready to walk on me on a 6500.00 sale the other night who told me he needed better than the 60 month no interest terms we were offering, and told me he had been to (Unamed Store) and they had a better deal. I looked him in the eye and told him "Funny, my wife works there and I happen to know they don't. this is great furniture and the end of the line as far as great deals go. Why not let's just write it up? " We did.

Number one rule of sales.... "Buyers Are Liars". Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:51 am
Bear & Squinney
Of course you guys are an exception and I'd be insulted if you didn't follow me around :-D

You guys seem to do things the way I like it. you let the customer know you're there if they need you and then let them be to do their thing :-D
You even linger from a far, so you're there when I'm ready to talk ;-)

That's my kinda rep :-D
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:51 am
Lash wrote:
Lash wrote:

but you do understand the difference between stalking and remaining at a discreet distance to be available to give service if necessary right?

I don't want you to think I'm criticising you.

Whatever you're doing must be working, evidenced by your success.

Seeing someone hovering makes me feel uncomfortable, pressured, like prey...

That's just me. I'm glad you're doing well.

now if someone is following you and they're in a trench coat and their bare legs are showing.... well I understand your concerfn :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:54 am
Linkat wrote:
"Just looking" is an inexpensive form of entertainment. I know some people who go to open houses, purely for entertainment (or to be nosey).

We do have furniture stores in Mass and Southern New Hampshire that I can go to regularly for free entertainment - one has a Madri Gras theme with shows going on through out the day - one has a motion ride (that costs money) - one has a trapeze area (you can go on the trapeze (that too costs money), but it is free and fun to watch. Each of these stores has some sort of free entertainment.

That is a cool thing. I have played at some of the really big showrooms in High Point that run entertainment on their showroom floors. It's pretty neat.

There's nothing wrong with just looking. People do it all the time. I don't because I hate to shop. with the exception of a music store where I can play every guitar in the place if allowed to. I guess we all have our weaknesses. Give me a few rolls of quarters and drop me at Pegasus Adult Bookstore and I'm gone for the day. Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
Bear
The thing is that the buyer isn't always aware of some things.
If a sales rep asks me if I need help and I tell them not at the moment, but I'll let you know if I do, when the time comes and I need help, I tend to grab whoever is available without even thinking about it.
It's not that I didn't care about that rep. It's simply because I hadn't thought about them being paid commision. it never crossed my mind.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
Also - toy stores are a great place during the winter - you can let your rug rats try out bikes and other toys!

Some of these sorts of entertainment tactics really do work. I have bought lots of furniture from our entertainment furniture store too!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:00 pm
I've never been to a store that had entertainment and that sounds like a lot of fun.
wish we had them here.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
I have told salespeople, who hesitated to leave, that I understand commission, and wouldn't work with anyone else.

This has never failed, except at the car lot.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:01 pm
Montana wrote:
Bear
The thing is that the buyer isn't always aware of some things.
If a sales rep asks me if I need help and I tell them not at the moment, but I'll let you know if I do, when the time comes and I need help, I tend to grab whoever is available without even thinking about it.
It's not that I didn't care about that rep. It's simply because I hadn't thought about them being paid commision. it never crossed my mind.

well now you know. see... educated by a salesperson. free of charge with a complimentary

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BEAR HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:02 pm
Lash wrote:
I have told salespeople, who hesitated to leave, that I understand commission, and wouldn't work with anyone else.

This has never failed, except at the car lot.

and if you follw up, you ae one of Gods' chosen.....
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm
Awwwww!!!

Thanks Bear and I promise to be aware of this in my future shopping.

((((((((((((((((((MONTANA HUG))))))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:06 pm
I have never betrayed my word...on a sales floor.

<smiles triumphantly>

Really, I know what it's like to exist on commission. I didn't know there were people, who try to "make deals" with salespeople. I didn't have the authority to adjust the price when I was in sales. I can see how that would make things alot more complicated. But, I'd think the problem would exist between the salepeople, who were stabbing each other over it.

That's a savage environment.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:07 pm

I had a guy ready to walk on me on a 6500.00 sale the other night who told me he needed better than the 60 month no interest terms we were offering, and told me he had been to (Unamed Store) and they had a better deal. I looked him in the eye and told him "Funny, my wife works there and I happen to know they don't. this is great furniture and the end of the line as far as great deals go. Why not let's just write it up? " We did.

Number one rule of sales.... "Buyers Are Liars". Laughing

oohh a man with a 'tude

sexy
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:11 pm
As a matter of fact I was walking home one evening recently and I almost passed by a furniture store but decided to pop-in. I don't need any furniture at the moment, it was just an impulse to drop in and look-around.

The sales-guy was busy showing a futon to a couple and he nodded in my direction as I came in. I smiled back. When he got a free moment he came over and asked if I needed anything and I told him I was 'just looking' which I really was. He told me to give him the nod when I needed him and then he went to the front of the store to continue to greet people but pretty much leaving us alone. Suddenly I found a piece I liked, and I sat, checked, touched, yada yada, to my hearts content until I made up my mind that I was definitely interested. I turned to look his way and he immediately saw my head inclination and came over. I asked him a few questions, he answered them all without pushing me and I instantly decided to take it. One of the reasons I bought was because the guy let me have my space. I didn't really need it and had the salesperson been too 'helpful' I probablywouldn't have bought it.

Now I HATE furniture shopping because I am so damn picky and fussy about pushy salespeople. If I saw a piece I absolutely loved and I disliked the salesperson I would be a complete child about it and forego the piece, even if I couldn't get it anywhere else. Stupid I know, but I would punish them (and myself) because I am such a boob about stuff like that.

Ooh and it is very interesting to hear what you said Swimpy about 'ups'. I had no idea about that. I'll definitely make note of that next time I go browsing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:18 pm
that was a good salesperson heeven, and that's the way to treat customers.... be aware, be available, don't be too pushy.

The up system is a good system as long as it's honored by the staff.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 12:25 pm
I agree.
0 Replies