Just Looking...

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:38 am
Okay, I'm in furniture sales. Bear and I were discussing my Saturday morning meeting at work in which another salesperson complained that "customers" keep coming in saying "I'm just looking."

The manager said no one comes in "just looking," 'cause no one puts forth the effort to dress, drive across town, park and come inside a furniture store just to look. It would be a waste of their precious day off.

I actually DO go to certain places just to look. I can get totally lost in a fabric store, craft store or even Home Depot. I love to see trends in color, new gadgets, up and coming designs, new craft ideas, and fabric... Gawd, I love fabric and I don't even sew!

Do you go into any place of business just to look? Or, if you say "just looking" are you just trying to get past the salesperson?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,387 • Replies: 127
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:45 am
I look. Yup, I shower, shave, get dressed and maybe even dab on a little au de toilet. Gotta smell purty when ya get to the store.... never know who ya gonna meet and all.

Home Depot is good for ½ a day. The big Leon's Furniture stores are good for an hour or two of browsing. Can even sit on one of the comfy sofas and watch the big screen TV for a while.

I will often go into a store with no reason or intention of buying something. I am just looking. Your manager, obviously, does not know anything about human nature. Also, why would the other saleman complain about a customer coming into the store to "just look". Has he not considered that this could be a future sale?

I didn't intend to come into this thread. I am just looking. ;-)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 06:47 am
[quote="squinney"]Do you go into any place of business just to look? Or, if you say "just looking" are you just trying to get past the salesperson?[/quote]

It depends. When I was shopping for furniture, I did go to a number of stores, just to check out what was available. Then, when I determined what I wanted, I went out looking seriously.

In any case, I do not like a sales person running after me. What I did, when I was at the "seriously deciding" stage of furniture buying, was ask the sales person who approached me to give me her card. I did that so that if I did buy at her store, that she would get the credit for my purchase. I told her that when I decided on something, or needed to ask a question, I would ask for her.

When it comes to any other kind of purchase, when a sales person approaches me, I tell them that I am just looking, and will come to him if I need any help. If he persists, I will immediately walk out of the store.

To me, a pushy sales person is a complete turn off.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:04 am
I worked in sales for years. When people say they're" just looking" it's like a relationship when someone says "let's just be friends". Odds are you're not going to get laid, but it doesn't hurt to stick around and be available if they change their minds.

I admit I tire kick in furniture stores and I have no problem with a sales person saying something like " Hi I'm Squinny, let me know if you have any questions.", but I hate it if I'm followed around and asked if I would like to see the sofa in another fabric.

Your boss sounds like one of those manager's who believes any no can be turned into a yes. Usually that is not true unless the person is already thinking yes in their heads. It's best to leave browsers alone or they won't come back when they are ready to buy thinking "that's the place with the pushy salespeople".
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:07 am
I was just in a few furniture stores last week just looking around. Yeah, I was looking for a computer desk and chair, but I did at least hit one store (that I knew I couldn't afford) just to see what they had.
If I happen to already be out and about and I pass by a store that looks like it's got some great stuff, I'll stop in just to see what they've got.
I'm with Phoenix on not liking the pushy sales person. I don't mind them coming and asking me if I need help, because sometimes I do, but I don't like it when they follow me around after I've told them I'm just looking.
That hasn't happend since I started telling them "I am just looking, but I'll let you know if I need help, thanks."

Squinney
Your manager is so wrong and you are so right :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:11 am
Green Witch wrote:
Your boss sounds like one of those manager's who believes any no can be turned into a yes. Usually that is not true unless the person is already thinking yes in their heads. It's best to leave browsers alone or they won't come back when they are ready to buy thinking "that's the place with the pushy salespeople".

What would be even worse, is if a sales person talked a person into something, and then when the customer got it home, he hated it...................and then told all his friends how he was snookered into buying something. Not only has the store lost a customer, but has possibly lost the business of many of the customer's friends.

Furniture business especially, I think, is a "word of mouth" thing. If a customer has a good experience, she will share it with her friends and neighbors. It sounds like squinney's boss is more interested in today's sales, than building lasting relationships with people, where they will come back, again and again.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:13 am
I agree.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:13 am
We usually have a game plan. We will draw out what were looking for and take some of those sketches along. Then we will get all dressed up and ride all the way to High Point NC and check out whats new. We do this when we have a week to kill.

We make a good team. I like to look at how the couch or chair is made and how the wood is exposed. My wife likes doing the fabric selection. A good furniture store should always have a snack bar with a popcorn machine. Is that just a Pa thing?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:14 am
Oh, yeah, Intrepid! Home Depot half a day, easily! That's why I have to send Bear for air filters. If that's all we need, that's all he will get and he'll be home in twenty minutes tops.

I know what you mean about salespeople chasing you around, Phoenix. That's not my style of selling at all. Maybe that's 'cause I know people really do "just look."

I bet people would "just look" at cars a lot more than they do if they didn't have to deal with a salesperson or worry about wasting the salespersons time. I would. Yeah, cars would be another great "just looking" item.

And, new homes. I would go "just looking house hunting" if I didn't have to have a realtor to get in.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:15 am
On the same note, I find it frustrating when you need help and you can't find someone to help you ;-)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:16 am
Why is it that when you are genuinely just looking, sales people follow you around, as if they suspect you're about to steal something & they should keep eye on you? .... but when you do actually need assistance, or intend to buy something, you can't find an assistant for love or money? One of life's little mysteries.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:20 am
farmerman wrote:
A good furniture store should always have a snack bar with a popcorn machine. Is that just a Pa thing?

Yeah yeah, just like they had in the old woollworths (spelling) :-D

Every large store should have a snack bar :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:22 am
msolga wrote:
but when you do actually need assistance, or intend to buy something, you can't find an assistant for love or money? One of life's little mysteries.

I run into this constantly and it drives me up the wall!

Walmart comes to mind.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:28 am
I'll crack the code for you, msolga.

The salesperson is likely just keeping an eye out from a distance, giving you the space you requested, but also making themselves easily available in case you do need assistance.

Also, there is usually an "up" system. When a customer comes in, and it is my turn, I greet them, determine their needs, and go from there. IF you are "just looking" I still can't take another "up" until you leave. I have to wait for you to finish looking before I can get another opportunity to earn. If it is a busy day and all salespeople have an "up" we can take another customer coming in (overflow), but otherwise, we have to wait. While you are "just looking" other salespeople are getting opportunities.

That's why I will tell the salespeople when I come in that I'm not a real up if I'm just looking. Sometimes I'll tell them I'm a 'shopper' so the person that was supposed to take me still gets to approach the next person that comes in.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 07:57 am
If I am out shopping in a big strip mall, or a small place that just has a few stores.. I usually browse ALL stores, furniture included, simply because i am enjoying my day out.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:33 am
Ah, yes! How I treasure a Day Out. Not as crucial now that the kids are older, but still enjoyable.

In defense of my manager, he's really a great guy. Not that pushy, pretty laid back by comparison to where I was working before. I think he was trying to make the point to the complaining salesperson that not everyone really is just looking, even if that is what they say. Some, yes, but not everyone.

It's a great job for studying human behavior. Some people are funny. Some are taking life way too seriously. Some are newly married and full of hope. Some show obvious signs of strain.

I love the older couples that come in laughing and trying out the mattresses. I hope Bear and I will be like them!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:38 am
I hope these people are dressed.. Shocked
hehe

It sounds to me , like your manager has to light a sales fire under some really young workers..
So drilling the idea that " Noone is just browsing" may be the only way he can get them to work the way they should..

or am i shooting to the wind with that idea?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:41 am
Only place I really just look around in are electronic stores, and that's if I'm already there to buy a cd or something. And if I'm just looking, I'll tell the salesperson that I'm not a buyer.

Cars, furniture, anything of a larger purchase I don't bother unless I'm going to compare, or buy. I don't like wasting everyone's time. I just wouldn't go look at homes with a realtor if I'm 6 months away from a purchase, or go test drive a car if it was't something I might actually buy.

When I worked at the car dealer, I used to cringe watching the other guy I worked with just stand over everyone on the lot. If they would say "just looking" to me, I'd respond, "no problem. Take your time, if you have any questions, grab me inside." I could immediately see a sigh of relief on people once they knew I wasn't going to just stand there staring at them like an idiot.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:52 am
Well, yeah, Slappy! Considering you would be about crotch high, I'm sure that was a huge relief!!! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 08:57 am
Even if I'm in a store and plan on buying something, I still tell them I'm just looking, because I usually know what I'm looking for and I don't need help.
I do appreciate the help when I need it, though.

Squinney
I didn't realize that you were placed in this line situation and it makes me rethink things.

Damn! Now I'm gonna feel bad when I tell a sales person I'm just looking, lol.
0 Replies