Is being gay a choice?

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 06:53 pm
Nick, Laughing

Osso, yeah, I remember that too. The article, and my own "huh?" reaction.

What I'm starting to wonder is if there are different kinds of homosexuality. Not just the Kinsey scale, though that's part of it, but that there are different biological causes that manifest themselves in various ways. Anyway, that's all just "hmmm", nothing in particular to go on.

The Kinsey scale btw is 0-6, with zeroes being completely heterosexual, (always thought that was funny, that he'd make the heteros zeroes Laughing), the sixes completely homosexual, and the other numbers (1-5) varying degrees of bisexuality. For example, a 1 would be almost completely hetero but could have some attraction to the same sex, and a 5 would be almost completely homosexual but could have some attraction to the opposite sex. Then threes are right smack dab in the middle, and can as easily go one way or the other.

http://www.kinseyinstitute.org/resources/images/rating-scale.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 07:35 pm
I read Kinsey in the early sixties, maybe even 1960, and it startled but made sense to me. (I laugh now.. I hid it under my bed, lest my mother see it - I lived at home and went to the local no tuition university, which the nuns told us was run by pinkos and wouldn't submit transcripts to. But that's another story. Still, it gives a bit of background for my reading Kinsey.)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:41 pm
Is Spendius in denial?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 10:50 pm
Nick and Spendius, sorry for the mischief. I couldn't resist. I'm sure you're both raging heterosexual beasts. It just seems that you are not completely comfortable with your sexuality. But I understand. Most men are not at ease when discussing male homosexulaity, always afraid of how others might perceive them. Notice how few males are participating in this thread. If I'm wrong about you, I apologize again.

BTW. Osso, you explain my position better than I do.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:04 pm
You callin me gay JL??? I outa kick your ass here and now! Afterwards I'll go to a sports bar, watch the game and talk about chicks with the guys. I'll comment on our waitresses enormous hooters. See? That ain't gay!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:18 pm
See, I can post and no one nails me as being bi or les, except perhaps in their minds. (how did I gain this status or am I dreaming this status?)

The whole nailing thing is, frankly, quite tacky.

I happen to be a gallopingly aging hetero female.

She says, looking around.

Why aren't more older people talking here?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm
(NickFun straightens his tie and combs his hair) I am 45 ossobuco. I'll be 46 in July. Perhaps we can discuss this over cocktails?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:29 pm
and younger people talking here... interesting thread..
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:39 pm
If you were reading Kinsey in 1960 then that does make ma a bit younger as that's the year I was born.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:40 pm
Ooooh, nick, I always read your posts. Ok, then, cocktails when we meet.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 11:52 pm
On age, Nick, I was born in late '41. Clearly, I'm way older. Nineteen years, hmm. My hub was eleven years younger and remains so to this day, no longer tied by papers, though we talked this morning, a once in a while thing.

He is putting on really interesting plays, which I think I should probably do a thread about. (mulling, as they are politically rich).

Still, should our paths cross we could rope some dopes and have a brew.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 06:24 am
spendius wrote:
I couldn't get it up for Elton John for all the tea in China whereas Jane Fonda could manage it just by glancing at her watch.

That doesn't say much. I'm gay and I couldn't get it up for Elton John. I don't think anyone even his current husband (life partner, civilised person, friend with benefits?) can get it up for him.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 08:35 am
Now that's really catty Wolf.

What exactly is it about Mr John that puts you off his seductive charms so pointedly?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:22 am
Oh, come on, Wolf -- they are screwing like bunnies as we write. Go back to your saucer of milk.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
spendius wrote:
Now that's really catty Wolf.

What exactly is it about Mr John that puts you off his seductive charms so pointedly?

Nothing really. I was just trying to have some fun at a celebrity's expense. I guess the humour in my post didn't translate very well without a smiley like Laughing attached to the end.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:30 am
You're forgiven. It did read as literal although I did suspect tongue is firmly implanted in cheek. Just don't bite down.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 10:33 am
Lightwizard wrote:
You're forgiven. It did read as literal although I did suspect tongue is firmly implanted in cheek. Just don't bite down.

Yes, I'm always forgetting to put the relevant smilies in my post to make sure people realise I'm being funny and/or sarcastic. Embarrassed
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:05 am
Don't do it Wolf.It's posher to keep them guessing.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:06 am
Like with the jokes in Are You Being Served.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
<giggle> Dunno abt Elton, but his hubby is somewhat cute....
0 Replies