Surprise: White House Aide Caught In Shoplifting Scheme

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:31 pm
A month ago, we could read e.g. in the L.A. Times:

Domestic Policy Advisor Quits, White House Says
Quote:
President Bush's domestic policy advisor, Claude A. Allen, has resigned to spend more time with his family, the White House said.

Of course, like always, we believ what the White House says!

Surprising news yesterday from Montgomery County:
Montgomery County - Department of Police:

Quote:
The Target Loss Prevention Manger contacted Montgomery County Police and through the police investigation it was learned that Allen had been receiving refunds in an amount exceeding $5,000 during last year. Some of the fraudulent returns were made at Target stores and some at Hecht's stores. He would buy items, take them out to his car, and return to the store with the receipt. He would select the same items he had just purchased, and then return them for a refund. Allen is known to have conducted approximately 25 of these types of refunds, having the money credited to his credit cards.

Throughout 2005 he obtained refunds for items ranging from clothing, a Bose theater system, stereo equipment, and photo printer to items valued only at $2.50.

Washington Post report
Quote:

Reuters:
Quote:
"If the allegations are true, Claude Allen did not tell my chief of staff and legal counsel the truth and that's deeply disappointing," Bush said.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,240 • Replies: 29
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:35 pm
Sad, but why penalize his family, by spreading around the news? It would serve no purpose. The important thing is that he is out of his position. Sounds like this guy has a major league problem.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Sad, but why penalize his family, by spreading around the news?

Well, I'd thought, names of criminals are generally published in the USA?

Why, Phoenix, do you think of the family of this one especially?

Generally, I agree - it's usually not done here in Germany.
But I do think, in such a case it would be on the frontpages here as well - especially, since last month, Bush's Domestic Policy Advisor Claude A. Allen suddenly resigned in order to "spend more time with his family." That excuse always means something's fishy.

Allen was earning $161,000 a year, btw.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:55 pm
Quote:

That leads me to conclude that Allen was exhibiting a form of kleptomania, which is considered an impulse control disorder by psychiatrists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleptomania
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
on the one hand, it's a clever scam if you don't get caught. on other hand, it's a little transparent if you always return items the very day you bought them, and they're always unopened. Rolling Eyes i'm also surprised he didn't try this in a more upscale store, with more expensive items.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
Quote:
"If the allegations are true, Claude Allen did not tell my chief of staff and legal counsel the truth and that's deeply disappointing," Bush said.

That's a rather humorous quote from someone, who's
been such a fraud himself when telling the "truth".
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:37 pm
That's why I quoted it Laughing
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:04 pm
Maybe he had a girlfriend that he was trying to take care of onthe q.t.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
Hehe, he bought at Target, seaglass.Wink
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:12 pm
Target isn't that an upscale French department store.

Or - - - he knows someone that will really settle for less.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:52 pm
Why is this in the politics forum?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:56 pm
Because I choose to do so.

Why do you ask - if it's against the TOS, report it.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:00 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Where the hell would it go and why does it matter.

I wonder if this dude boosted anything from the whitehouse. It's like a damn circus over there. Remember that Gannon guy. The mail esscort that was spending the night.

'Jeff Gannon' White House
Scandal Blasted Open
Who Allowed Gay Prostitutes To Freely Roam
The West Wing Of The White House?
By John in DC
2-15-5

Why Does This Matter?

So, in the end, why does this matter?

Why does it matter that Jeff Gannon may have been a gay hooker named James Guckert with a $20,000 defaulted court judgment against him? So he somehow got a job lobbing softball questions to the White House. Big deal. If he was already a prostitute, why not be one in the White House briefing room as well?

This is the Conservative Republican Bush White House we're talking about. It's looking increasingly like they made a decision to allow a hooker to ask the President of the United States questions. They made a decision to give a man with an alias and no journalistic experience access to the West Wing of the White House on a "daily basis." They reportedly made a decision to give him - one of only six - access to documents, or information in those documents, that exposed a clandestine CIA operative.

Say what you will about Monika Lewinsky - a tasteless episode, "inappropriate," whatever. Monika wasn't a gay prostitute running around the West Wing. What kind of leadership would let prostitutes roam the halls of the West Wing? What kind of war-time leadership can't find the same information that took bloggers only days to find?
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:11 pm
I forgot, they also found out this guy was spending the night.

He was turnig tricks in the whitehouse.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:

That leads me to conclude that Allen was exhibiting a form of kleptomania, which is considered an impulse control disorder by psychiatrists.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kleptomania

I doubt this was kleptomania. The items were stolen specifically to return before he even left the store. It was a money making venture. Kleptomaniacs don't do it for the money.

He might have been doing it for the thrill but it wasn't random stealing. It was planned.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
McGentrix wrote:

You wouldn't want anyone to possibly think there is a culture of corruption in the WH. Laughing
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:13 am
Of course, no one has mentioned yet that Allen grew up in a ghetto culture. That may have something to do with it. In all likelihood, he is an Affirmative Action recepient! But, if there was ever any question that this guy is a scumbag it is found in the following:

During his confirmation hearing, Allen was questioned about his use of the word "queer" when he was a press aide to Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., in 1984. Allen said he didn't intend it as a slur against gay people.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:35 am
Quote:
Admission Attributed To Bush's Ex-Aide
Details Disclosed In Fraud Case

By Ernesto Londoño
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, March 14, 2006; Page B08

Former White House adviser Claude A. Allen admitted "that he was committing fraudulent returns" on Jan 2. when a store manager confronted him as he was leaving a Gaithersburg Target with merchandise he allegedly didn't pay for, a police charging document says.

Police issued Allen, 45, a citation at 7:30 p.m. that day, accusing him of stealing "clothing and cleaning products" worth $74.72 from the store, at 25 Grand Corner Ave. Like traffic tickets, such citations often do not lead to arrests and seldom lead to jail time when they go to trial.

But Allen's Jan. 2 brush with police triggered an investigation that resulted in two felony theft charges last week.

Allen, who resigned last month as President Bush's top domestic policy adviser, appeared Thursday in District Court in Rockville with his attorney, Mallon Snyder, to fight the Jan. 2 misdemeanor charge. Prosecutors dropped the charge, but shortly after leaving the courtroom, Allen was arrested and charged with theft scheme and theft over $500, each punishable by as much as 15 years in prison.

Snyder said last week that Allen did not steal from the stores, and he characterized the transactions in question as "misunderstandings." Yesterday, he declined to elaborate on the nature of the misunderstanding or on Allen's alleged acknowledgment of involvement Jan. 2.

Police said they have been able to document 25 instances in which Allen tried to obtain refunds for items he was seen picking up from shelves at Target and Hecht's stores in Montgomery by using receipts for identical items he had bought earlier.

The Jan. 2 citation was issued after Pete Schomburg, a Target loss prevention manager, observed Allen strolling through the store pushing a shopping cart with a Target bag. He was observed placing items inside the bag and elsewhere in the cart, according to the police document.

Allen obtained a refund by presenting receipts for items he purchased previously and then walked out of the store with additional merchandise he hadn't paid for, according to police.

Schomburg stopped him, noticed that he had receipts for previous purchases at Target stores and called police to the store, according to the document.

Detective David Hill, with the county's retail crime unit, was assigned to the case after that incident. Using credit card statements and store surveillance video, Hill says in the charging document, he was able to tally $5,000 in potentially fraudulent refunds involving purchases with Allen's American Express card, the charging document says.

Hill wrote that he was able to recover surveillance videos that document six instances in which Allen obtained fraudulent returns. The six incidents occurred from Oct 29 to Jan. 2 and cost Target more than $1,000, according to Hill.

The costliest item listed in the police document was a $525 Bose theater system purchased Oct. 29 at the store where he received the citation Jan 2. Allen's actions Oct. 29 "are captured on video," according to Hill.

Also according to police:

· On the morning of Dec. 24, Allen was filmed selecting a $237 Kodak printer that he paid for with his Visa card. Hours later he obtained a refund at a Target store in Germantown for an identical printer.

· On Dec. 30, Allen bought a $60 jacket, a $25 pair of pants, two shades worth $15 each and two unspecified items worth $2.50 each. Hours later, he received a $125.94 refund for identical items.

· On Jan. 1, he purchased an $88 RCA stereo at a Target store in Gaithersburg. About an hour later, he was videotaped selecting an identical stereo at a Rockville Target store, and he obtained a refund using a receipt that corresponded to the one from Gaithersburg.

Allen, whom neighbors and friends have described as an honorable and honest man, received support over the weekend from the congregation at his church, Covenant Life Church in Gaithersburg.

Senior Pastor Joshua Harris told parishioners Sunday that pastors have remained in close touch with Allen since the news of his arrest broke Friday.

"Our role is not to provide legal counsel," Harris said during both Sunday services, according to a posting on the church's Web site. "Our concern is for his soul. Our desire -- and Claude shares this -- if for him to walk with humility and integrity."

Staff writer Michael A. Fletcher and staff researcher Bobbye Pratt contributed to this report.

Source
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:39 am
This is the critical information on Allen:

Of course, no one has mentioned yet that Allen grew up in a ghetto culture. That may have something to do with it. In all likelihood, he is an Affirmative Action recepient! But, if there was ever any question that this guy is a scumbag it is found in the following:

During his confirmation hearing, Allen was questioned about his use of the word "queer" when he was a press aide to Sen. Jesse Helms, R-N.C., in 1984. Allen said he didn't intend it as a slur against gay people.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 05:42 am
I gotta admit, I'm lovin' this - the ('scuse me for sayin' so) formerly nameless photo-op token seen strolling back and forth from the presidential chopper with dubya ends up being another corrupt scumbag. I can just hear the fratboy now... "Dang it! I thought he was one of the good 'uns!"

Twisted Evil
0 Replies