THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 06:22 pm
That's interesting, VN. I once heard our local pet radio talkback "authority" declare that, with animals of the same species, three's a crowd. And that this is to be avoided of one wanted to avoid trouble! (This is how he actually speaks! Laughing ) Maybe there's something in that?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:18 pm
Haven't taken many Possum-pix lately - and now my camera has gone on holiday to Uluru and Perth without me!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:28 pm
It just up & left, margo? Just like that? The nerve! Surprised
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 03:20 am
cameras going off on holiday ..... without you ? Laughing

Msolga Very Happy you've got your eye on a kitten????? wonderful! all that running up the curtains and swinging by one paw, chasing your skirts or trousers, diving on anything that moves and that tiny little heap of fluff to cuddle - gorgeous Very Happy

yes, definitely get it used to the car and going to other places from being tiny.

Margo do take some new Possum pics whenyour camera returns from Perth Smile
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:08 pm
I desperately needed my camera last night!

Possum and I were sitting on the bed, watching the last part of the Opening Ceremony of the Commonwealth Games in Melbourne - the bit where Kiri Te Kanawa sang Happy Birthday to Liz - the supposed queen of Oz.

He was sitting quietly, getting patted, and then decided to investigate what was behind the bedside table. Now - Possum is not a sleek cat, and the space between the bedside table and the bed wasn't that large. Just large enough - in fact, for an unsleek cat to get his front legs and head down behind it. Not large enough, however, to get his back legs and bum down there to follow!

He made an odd noise, and I turned around to see cat's bum and tail in the air, and back legs desperately trying to force the bed to move - and with me on top that wasn't very likely! Head and front legs are firmly on the floor behind the table, and he can't get any purchase to get the rest of him to follow.

I started to giggle uncontrollably, (which WAS unkind, but....) and watched him struggle for a minute or two.

Eventually, I got off the bed, and pulled the table out, and the rest of him slid inelegantly down to the floor. He then stayed where he was and refused to get out from under the table (possibly because I was still crying with laughter!).

I pulled him out (with resistance!) and put the bedside table back in position, and Poss stalked off for a bit - and then he hopped up on the bed, sat as far away from me as possible, and glared fiercely at me for the next 30 minutes. Each time I looked at this angry-faced cat I started to laugh all over again!

Oh dear! Considerable loss of dignity!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:19 pm
See, my dad and I discuss that sometimes, Margo: No matter how much you love your kitties, when they do things like that, you just can't help but sit there and laugh at them for a while before you help them out. It's so mean and they despise you for a while afterward, but there's something so funny about seeing them in predicaments. Very Happy Your story had me laughing out loud, by the way!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 03:00 am
Laughing oh that needed a video, never mind a camera! you painted a brilliant word picture though

Not only laughing ..... but continuing to laugh! I can just imagine Possums furious face Laughing
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Thu 16 Mar, 2006 07:07 am
Good morning from my part of the world! My Balinese cat, Tequila, a beautiful flame point (one of the cats I inherited from my girls), is 14 and had his dental work finally on Monday. He got over his pneumonia and they were able to take care of his teeth. Since he does still have a collapsed lung lobe, they did it VERY CAREFULLY! Well, he is on long term antibiotics for his lung...and that wily little old devil has this nurse frustrated trying to "pill" him! His mouth is sore so I can't clamp his little jaws together after I insert the pill in his throat. He is an actor! I think I have it and walk out of the room, only to return and find the (tiny little quarter of a tablet) almost anywhere in the room....corner, rug, pillow, etc. I gave up and called the vet for a liquid....Ah, so much easier!!!!

Part of the problem is my sympathy for his poor mouth and the knowledge that he really needed the antibiotic after his extractions. My vet uses a Fentynal patch on the leg for the major pain relief, but he had so many teeth removed that he required stitches. Now, after he gets the liquid, he sulks for a while and then comes to me about four hrs later for his pets and love. He does eat and drink well, so I am much less worried about him.

If I can figure out how to post a pic, I will do it one of these days!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 06:37 pm
I wish someone had given this to me before I decided to open a cat shelter. Shocked

I AM THE CAT AND I HAVE CERTAIN INALIENABLE RIGHTS:

I have the right to walk over your face anytime I wish, day or night.

I have the right to observe and comment on any and all bathroom behavior. Further, I have the right to be highly offended by any closed door.

I have the right to smell your shoes to determine if you have been fraternizing or cavorting or frolicking with any highly questionable animals.

I have the right to assist in any food preparation, cooking, cleaning or eating event that may occur in the home.

I have the right to wake you at three in the morning if I find my food dish is not to my satisfaction.

I have the right to tip over any water container I deem unsuitable for consumption.

I have the right to meow at squirrels and birds that may dare to pass my windows.

I have the right to inspect any grocery items that come into the home. Further, I have the right to inhabit any paper bag or cardboard box that you bring home for as long as I wish.

I have the right to nap at any time and place I darn well please, without the distraction of being called or moved just because you want to sit down, wash your hands or use your computer keyboard.

I have the right to assist in the changing of bed linens and to chase the phantom creatures that hide beneath the sheets.

I have the right to look aloof when scolded for mistaking your toes for one of those pesky phantom creatures that hide beneath the sheets.

I have the right to kill paper towel rolls that otherwise might sneak up on you at night.

I have the right to sleep on top of any appliance that is warm.

I have the right to your complete attention anytime you sit down to read or work.

And, finally, I have the right to be loved, petted, pampered, and entertained, for, as you know, the best things in life ... purr.

And, should you err in your ways, I will graciously forgive you. After all,
you are only human, but I love you anyway.

Signed, The CAT _____________________
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 04:27 am
margo wrote:
I pulled him out (with resistance!) and put the bedside table back in position, and Poss stalked off for a bit - and then he hopped up on the bed, sat as far away from me as possible, and glared fiercely at me for the next 30 minutes. Each time I looked at this angry-faced cat I started to laugh all over again!

Oh dear! Considerable loss of dignity!

Oh, poor Possum! I expect you had to grovel for a bit after that, margo?
Is he talking to you again, yet?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 04:37 am
VN

I hope you do manage to post a picture of Tequila! (I'm trying to imagine what a "flame point" looks like. Nah, can't quite imagine it.) It sounds like he's been in the wars, poor thing. Sad But obviously he's still a spirited critter, judging by your description of the pill evasion strategies! I certainly hope your daughter is very, very grateful for your incredible kindness in adopting her critters & taking such excellent care of them! You ol' softy, you! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 04:39 am
MA

Yep, we all should have been warned before we knew what we were getting ourselves into!
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 09:46 am
Sometimes animals can teach people a lot of things; unconditional love, forgiveness, the best thing about them is they never seem to harbor the bad feelings or remind you of your human mistakes. They can be angry at you one minute and then the next, all is forgiven. Amazing creatures, huh? :wink:
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:32 am
They are amazing, MA. Their unconditional love and trust is something that really gets to my heart.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
et tu Urs?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
urs53,

No matter what kind of mood I'm in or if I ignore them because I'm busy, they are always the same. Right there, loving me because they love me. If people could learn anything from animals I would wish for it to be this.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 11:44 am
Well, my dear prince, I found that you cannot trust all people and I am glad to our cats don't trust everyone but know to trust us. As we - BigDice and myself - trust each other. As for unconditional love - yeah, I think that goes for us, too :-)

Yes, MA, that is so true. I cannot understand why so many people take pleasure in hurting others - in whichever way. Once, I told a co-worker that Nisse likes to sit in the bathtub with just a little water running and then he drinks and drinks. She asked me if I was never tempted to turn on the water fully just to surprise and scare him. :-? Why would I ever want to to that?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:02 pm
Exactly urs53. Cats may do silly little things for attention but I don't ever think it is in the spirit of hurting anyone. The Himalayan I have likes to lay in the bathtub. But, if you even touch the faucet he runs out. I think he just likes the coolness of the tub.

I have been thinking about getting him a line cut but I'm not sure. You have seen what happened to that Persian that a woman asked for a line cut for? I'll see if I can dig it up. You'll appreciate my apprehension. Laughing This Himalayan already thinks he's something. I can just imagine what he'd think if I had him cut like this!

http://www.mandm.ws/cat.html

0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:27 pm
Ah, now I know what a line cut is! So please be careful with any accent you might have! I am glad Nisse and Mysan are just regular European short hair cats. All they need is a little brushing - especially at the moment. They are loosing so much hair it is hard to believe there is still some left on them...
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 12:32 pm
I know what you mean, urs. It seems sometimes the hair just never ends. I do think I will get Poly a Line Cut (not Lion! LOL) though. His hair is so long and it is hot and humid in Louisiana. I keep telling him hairy chests are passe anyway! Laughing
0 Replies