THE NEW CAT ROOM! (or the Cat Room #2)

MattDavis

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 02:30 am
Ethical question:
We've been keeping the thermostat turned down a bit in the house over the winter.
This has made our precious Munkin much more agreeable to cuddling.
Would it be wrong of us to make the house cold as a strategy for gaining more cuddling?

Are we violating Munkin's liberties by forcing him to love us?
MattDavis

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 02:38 am
@tsarstepan,
Quote:
Authorities at a Brazilian prison noticed a bulky cat wandering on prison grounds. They discovered the small black-and-white cat was hauling in saws, drills, a cell phone and charger — all taped to its body.

I don't get it. Confused
Is the cat bulky or small? Laughing
---------------------------------------------
On a more serious note, that is pretty clever and slightly cruel.
There are more pressing concerns on the feline-rights platform, however.
roger

Reply Tue 26 Feb, 2013 03:17 am
@MattDavis,
Yeah, like is it okay to keep them cold and cuddly, or warm and aloof.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 07:28 am
@MattDavis,
Ethically. Maybe yes. If only because your main motivation is cuddles and not cat comfort. But it gets grey because cats might like cuddles for comfort. Torn.

I set the air conditioner to start at 11 before I head to work so the cats don't broil in the house (we live in the tropics). I do it because I worry about their comfort. Oddly when it's actually on they usually wonder off to another room and lie in the sun - but on other occasions we've noticed one of them lie under the main one at about 10.30 waiting for the 'god of the cool breeze' to start.

Loathe to risk not setting it, but they'd probably be fine.
hingehead

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 03:52 pm
Wow - if Archie could do this we'd have no geckos. Or wall hangings.

0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Wed 27 Feb, 2013 06:22 pm
@hingehead,
HingeHead wrote:
If only because your main motivation is cuddles and not cat comfort.
I agree intent is central to the moral implications of our actions (in this case). This will certainly be the focus of our legal defense should charges ever be brought up on the matter.
Umm.... well.... maybe I should explain that I was speaking metaphorically. This a hypothetical situation.... we would do no such thing.
Munkin loves us unconditionally (as far as you can prove) and we feel the same for him. Wink
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 05:39 am

i want to meet these cats...

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/306153_10151423148477870_1080943891_n.jpg
dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 02:56 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Yeah, like is it okay to keep them cold and cuddly, or warm and aloof.

Get cats that are cuddly under all conditions!
MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:28 pm
@dlowan,
DLowan wrote:
Get cats that are cuddly under all conditions!

We wouldn't trade our Munkin for any other cat, cuddly or not.
Munkin has a very deep and complex personality. He's a lover and he's a fighter. He loves the ladies (usually this means Jasmin), he tolerates the gents (usually this means Matt). Munkin has made it very clear that there are two types of humans in this world, mommy and not-the-mommy.
This isn't to say that Munkin despises me. He simply prefers the more gentle aesthetic of a smoother higher pitched voice and the sweet caress of his lovely mommy.
When mommy is not around Munkin finds me a suitable (though inferior) replacement. He seems pleased with my ability to operate a can opener, and as you may already know, has some tacit approval for my litter box cleaning abilities.
MattDavis

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 03:32 pm
@Region Philbis,
Those cats seem to be weathering the financial crisis alright. Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 05:35 pm
@MattDavis,
Oh, I didn't mean promiscuous. I just meant that, if they love you, they love you hot or cold.

Mind you, my Sebastian is pretty promiscuous....but he loves mummy most.
Sharkey

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 06:01 pm
@dlowan,
Cats? Love? Be serious. That's what Sebastian wants you to think. And all the while he's plotting to make it look like an accident.
roger

Reply Thu 28 Feb, 2013 09:17 pm
@Sharkey,
I have often wondered what they are really thinking when they get that dreamy, half awake look in their bright little eyes.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 12:40 am
@Sharkey,
He DID trip me up on Saturday out walking. Man am I in pain.

But, even taking the darkest view of his love, why would he kill his sugar mummy?
Sharkey

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 07:39 am
@dlowan,
Subservient enough humans are known to be spared toxic levels of deviance emerging from a cat's natural superiority complex. Most cats would prefer subservient butlers any day rather than fend off for themselves. That's why I prefer. That's why I keep a ever gazing eye on my cuddly wuddly wicked Burmese, just to make he doesn't pull off something unexpected... like taking a skinny dip and dining on his scaly friends in the aquarium.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 12:24 pm
News Anchor Can’t Get Through Segment on Swimming Cat Without Cracking Up
http://gawker.com/5987812/news-anchor-cant-get-through-segment-on-swimming-cat-without-cracking-up
0 Replies

MattDavis

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 02:08 pm
@dlowan,
DLowan wrote:
Oh, I didn't mean promiscuous.

I didn't mean promiscuous either!
Our little prince is always a gentleman...
... I hope you don't mean to suggest that he isn't. Neutral Wink

He is a bit like Inigo Montoya from the Princess Bride.

Just mentally replace every mention of
"You killed my father." with "You hid my mommy."
And the "Offer me money." with "Offer me tuna."
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 04:25 pm
http://sphotos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/65537_262675960534085_2052646269_n.jpg
MattDavis

Reply Fri 1 Mar, 2013 04:51 pm
@hingehead,
I knew it!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 3 Mar, 2013 06:15 am
http://sphotos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/601555_417890284965699_1343598528_n.jpg
0 Replies