I am now a registered voter... but I need help

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:58 am
I have no idea about politics, I am scared to even look in this section of the forum... I have no idea the difference between political parties. Nothing... I have never branched out into politics...

Can anyone teach me anything...

I know there are a lot of different views... I just don't want to go and vote for someone because that is who my friend or family member is choosing, I want ot vote for them because I know what I am doing!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,995 • Replies: 32
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm
Oh my.

Big questions.

Probably the best way to start is to find out who is up for election. There are a few ways to do that, I can help you there if you'd like.

Then, read up on each person. They all have websites. Google for their names, see what else you can find. Research. Talk to people here too of course, especially since I think there are many A2K'ers from your area.

If you're really new to this, it might take some basic evaluation of your own beliefs, too. Are you pro-life or pro-choice? What do you think of the death penalty? Is it more important for you that your own taxes be cut or that there is enough money for the government to help those who most need it? Etc., etc., etc.

You can start small, though.

And good for you for getting registered and getting informed! I wish everyone in America would do the same.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:44 pm
Pro-choice
Death penatly-against it
Enough money for the goverment to give those who need it most

If that helps

I don't even know when the next election is!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:44 pm
btw thank you!
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
Almost forgot.. what's the difference between liberals, democrates, and republicans....

Are those the only parties... is liberal even a party lol
0 Replies

AliceInWonderland

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:57 pm
It's probably best to educate yourself about individual candidates and have a general idea about political parties. Sometimes the party platform will shock you; sometimes a candidates individual positions will shock you.

There are 2 main parties - Republican and Democrat. There are other basically ineffectual (by which I mean they rarely get much of the vote)parties, such as Libertarian, Green, Reform, Constitutional.

It can be pretty overwhelming sifting through all the information, so start with the most local elections and work your way up. On a national level, you can look up voting records of each individual to find out if you agree with them or not. If you don't know anything about a candidate, don't vote for him/her. Best of luck!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:00 pm
Boston has excellent newspapers. Find and bookmark their websites and visit them every day, even if all you do is read the headlines.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:00 pm
Usually the split is liberal + Democrat vs. conservative + Republican, but not always.

Depending on what you're voting for, the next significant election is in November of this year. It's called the "midterms".

This seems to have a lot of good info for Massachusetts:

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/G06/MA.phtml

Let me know if you have any specific questions about it and I'll walk you through it.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:03 pm
Crazielady420 wrote:
Almost forgot.. what's the difference between liberals, democrates, and republicans....

1) They're ALL idiots.

2) Democrats sit at starbucks on their laptops, whining about trees being cut down and how black lesbians are discriminated against in arcades. O h yea, and they drive Volvos. Republicans drive pickup trucks, shoot guns, and bash queers on the weekends for fun.
0 Replies

sozobe

By the way, on that site, various candidates' names are in blue and underlined -- click on those to go to the candidates' websites, and read all about 'em.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Thanks guys!

Sozobe,, can't view that page at work, it is blocked by websense.. but I will review it over the weekend and let you know if I have any questions!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
You're welcome, CL. I put a lot of thought into my response, so I hope you appreciate it and pay close attention to my words.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:04 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Crazielady420 wrote:

1) They're ALL idiots.

2) Democrats sit at starbucks on their laptops, whining about trees being cut down and how black lesbians are discriminated against in arcades. O h yea, and they drive Volvos. Republicans drive pickup trucks, shoot guns, and bash queers on the weekends for fun.

Which idiot do you tend to choose then?

Interesting way of putting it I must add... Is Bush a republican then?
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:05 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
You're welcome, CL. I put a lot of thought into my response, so I hope you appreciate it and pay close attention to my words.

Yea I saw that one after I posted that Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:06 pm
Bush is a Republican, yes.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:17 pm
I'm more of a Democrat, CL.

States that are majority Democrat are the Blue states...NY, MA, NJ, PA, CA, a lot of areas with big cities. You know, where people know how to read a newspaper. Republican states are the Red states, and that's fitting, since most Republicans are rednecks.
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:19 pm
Is TN a red state, cuz half my family is from there... does that make them rednecks then??

I know most of my family here is democratic... which is the reason why many aren't Bush fans...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
I dunno, there are a lot of Republicans these days who aren't Bush fans, either... (His approval ratings are going down and down and doooooownn...)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:22 pm
Actually I think I'm wrong about PA? Who cares. I don't.
0 Replies

mycdplayerisbroke

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:08 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
I'm more of a Democrat, CL.

States that are majority Democrat are the Blue states...NY, MA, NJ, PA, CA, a lot of areas with big cities. You know, where people know how to read a newspaper. Republican states are the Red states, and that's fitting, since most Republicans are rednecks.

Maybe in the future the Democrats will be Red.. as in Red China/Communism. Maybe pink would work too... pinko kool aid drinkers. no? alright.

btw slappy, i don't know if you remember helping me but i'm seeing some huge gains with working out and all that. 15 pounds in a month. i discovered the joy of eating. thanks again.
0 Replies