Can the US bring peace in the Middle East?

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:57 am
au1929 wrote:
The Palestinian terror organization still refuse to lay down their arms and continue to insist that Israel is illegitimate and must be annihilated. The peace effort will fail unless they can be somehow persuaded to change their course. Further as long as an angry and disgruntled Arafat is the power behind the scene, which he is now, there is no hope for peace.

Wow! We agree on something! Shocked Smile
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 08:10 am
McGentrix

You can't alway be wrong. Laughing

I believe we agree on the tax credit as well. Giving a "Tax Refund" to people who never paid any tax is not a refund it's welfare. I am not against helping the needy however, not on the pretext that it is a tax reduction bill. Any money or give backs in that bill should be realized by taxpayers. I think that section of the legislation should be labeled redistribution of wealth
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 08:12 am
*faints*
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 08:44 am
Tax cut welfare to the poor is about the ME? c.i.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:04 am
c.i.
You sound confused Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:21 am
Steve, where are the proofs that Mr. Sharon is going to sabotage the implementation of the Roadmaps program? We know about distinct opposition to it of the Hamas leaders, but Mr. Sharon is not in charge of this organization. We know that Arafat is disgruntled by the fact that he is being ignored by both Israel and USA, and all the talks are being conducted with Abu Mazen; hence, he can make steps to undermine the political process in order to bring Mr. Mahmud Abbas to failure.
Israeli leadership, on the contrary, makes statements that make it clear that establishment of the Palestinian state under condition of cessation of terror is acceptable.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:47 pm
I must concur with recent posters re: Steve's assessment of the current negotiations.

In light of the hurdles Sharon is heaving his portly self over-- I think Steve has been storing his anti-Sharon opinions in his nethers... When you pull them out, they smell.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:51 pm
No. There will not be peace till both sides learn to love their children. Thr Palestinians send their kids out to face tanks,instead of letting their kids be kids.Theyt love the intifada more then they love their kids.

The Israelis need to learn to love the Palestinian kids enough to not shoot them.
When both sides can accomplish that,there will be peace.Not beforew
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:54 pm
The Hamas leadership already said they will not approve the Road Map to peace. There goes the whole ball game! c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 12:55 pm
Maybe they found some cork on the map. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:42 pm
Mysteryman wrote:
The Israelis need to learn to love the Palestinian kids enough to not shoot them
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:45 pm
One interesting presentation regarding an Arab-Israeli conflict:
Pipeline of Hatred. It is a slide show, so I cannot cut and paste anything.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:04 pm
Sofia

let me pull something from my smelly groin.... er no actually I am far too gentlemanly to do any such thing

and I shower regularly....

well until the pheremone build up gets too much

I'm glad I provoked a few responses. War Criminal Sharon is the problem. He will stop at nothing to wreck any peace plan that thwarts his dream of Eretz Yisrael.

Dream on Ariel, it aint gonna happen. Right on President G W Bush!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 03:32 pm
Quote:
Analysis: Hamas breaks off talks
By Saud Abu Ramadan
Published 6/6/2003 12:43 PM

GAZA, June 6 (UPI) -- The militant Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement, better known by its Arabic acronym, Hamas, announced Thursday it had broken off talks with the Palestinian Authority on a possible cease-fire with Israel, dealing a blow to the "road map" and to peace in the region.

Hamas, which is more Islamist in its ideology compared to other more secular militant groups, said it was irked commitments made by Palestinian Authority Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas -- also known as Abu Mazen -- to Israel and the United States during talks earlier this week in Jordan.

Source: http://www.upi.com/print.cfm?StoryID=20030606-114130-1886r
And here is an evidence of CNN
Quote:
GAZA CITY (CNN) -- The Palestinian Islamic fundamentalist group Hamas on Friday stopped talks with Palestinian Prime Minister Mahmoud Abbas on a possible cease-fire with Israel.

"We are cutting off all dialogue with the Palestinian Authority," said Hamas leader Abdel-Aziz al-Rantissi, accusing it of trying to dictate the terms of Wednesday's peace summit in Aqaba, Jordan, to the group.

Hamas, whose military wing has been responsible for many of the recent terror attacks against Israeli civilians as well as the Israeli military, has been labeled by the U.S. State Department as a terrorist organization.

In reaction to the Hamas announcement, U.S. National Security Council spokesman Mike Anton said, "There's now a real prospect for peace. All parties agree that terrorism needs to stop and that all parties must fight terror. Those who pursue terror have made clear that they are enemies of peace."

The Palestinian Authority said it had received no formal notification from Hamas that it is stopping talks and will not accept such a stance. The authority said it will continue to carry through with its pledge to clamp down on violence, no matter what its justification may be.

Hamas founder Sheikh Ahmed Yassin also said the group is cutting off dialogue with the Palestinian Authority. In recent talks, Abbas has urged Hamas accept a cease-fire and an end to attacks against Israelis.

At the historic meeting in Jordan, Abbas, U.S. President George W. Bush and Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon showed support for the Middle East road map, which sets out procedures that would lead to two states -- Israel and Palestine -- existing together in peace.

Yassin said the dialogue has been halted because of the "bad position" that ignored the status of Jerusalem and the issue of the right of Palestinian refugees to return to the region.

Using Abbas' popular name, Yassin said that "Abu Mazen gave the Jews what they did not deserve."

"I believe that Abu Mazen himself closed the door in front of Hamas because he committed himself in front of Bush and Sharon" to positions opposed by the Palestinians, said Rantissi.

A two-page Hamas leaflet passed out in Gaza Friday urged Palestinians not to accept the dictates of this week's summits in Egypt and Jordan, especially Abbas' calls for an end to the armed intifada, the uprising that began in September 2000.

The strongly worded leaflet said the United States was trying to impose its position on the Palestinians and it called on Palestinians and the Arab world to oppose such dictates.

At Wednesday's summit in Aqaba, Abbas called for an end to terrorism and Sharon pledged to remove "unauthorized outposts" from the West Bank and Gaza and do what it takes for the establishment of "a viable Palestinian state."

On Thursday, an Israeli diplomat said Israel would begin dismantling the outposts in a few days.

Speaking on CNN's "Q&A," the Israeli ambassador to the United States, Danny Ayalon, said: "We are taking concrete steps. [Israel] is going to dismantle them all. It's going to do it in a phased-out manner."

He added that the larger question of the Jewish settlements in the West Bank and Gaza that have been authorized by the Israeli government "is a political issue, which will be dealt with according to agreements and understandings" in a final status agreement.

Let us compare this to Steve's statments:
Steve as 4100 wrote:
I'm glad I provoked a few responses. War Criminal Sharon is the problem. He will stop at nothing to wreck any peace plan that thwarts his dream of Eretz Yisrael.

Dream on Ariel, it aint gonna happen. Right on President G W Bush!

So, in Steve's opinion, Hamas may do any steps to undermine the peace process, and Mr. Sharon and Mr. Bush will be responsible for failure by all means. An interesting example of the approach that is being qualified in jokes as a "blonde's logic"...
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:45 pm
Steissd

The fundamental problem is not that I am blond but that I dont trust war criminal Sharon.

Bush is an innocent abroad when it comes to dealing with Sharon.

His policy is to work towards the establishment of greater Israel, no matter the cost in human life, Arab or Israeli.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:51 pm
Steve--
Thanks for the mild response. I shall attempt to curb my beloved bathroom humor. :wink:

If Sharon continues to put mustard on his peace talk, will you agree you judged him too harshly? He looks like a changed man to me.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 04:57 pm
WORLD

Hamas leader: group won't join talks
Posted: Friday, June 6, 7:23am EDT

A senior Hamas official said Friday the militant group is breaking off talks with the Palestinian prime minister on halting attacks on Israelis, a surprise reversal that throws into doubt a key component of a US-backed Mideast peace plan. As part of the US-backed "road map" to Palestinian statehood, the Palestinians have to rein in militants who have killed hundreds of Israelis in shootings and bombings during 32 months of fighting. The Palestinian prime minister, Mahmoud Abbas, has been trying to negotiate with the militias rather than use force, saying he wants to avoid civil war. It is not clear whether a refusal by Hamas to negotiate a truce would set the stage for a crackdown by Palestinian security forces. Abdel Aziz Rantisi, a Hamas leader and hardliner, told reporters on Friday that efforts to reach a truce are off. He says Abbas, also known as Abu Mazen, made too many concessions in his speech at a Mideast summit earlier this week in Jordan.

How many days did this peace effort last?Did Bush get back to the WH yet.

It would appear that you can't get over your hate for Israel or is it possible that you are dyslexic and read everything backwards.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 05:03 pm
Sophy

Mild response! my G-d i must be really in decline

and reference bathroom humour, you go for it girl!

If Sharon puts mustard on his p**** **** , well I'm liberal in these matters.

lol
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:14 pm
steissd wrote:
One interesting presentation regarding an Arab-Israeli conflict:
Pipeline of Hatred. It is a slide show, so I cannot cut and paste anything.

That URL is to a silly attempt to legitimize greater Israel and is chock full of Anti-Muslim propaganda.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:09 am
CdK, where have you found anything regarding Greater Israel in this presentation? I have not found there any statements justifying building and expansion of settlements or delegitimizing establishment of the Palestinian state by side, but not instead of Israel. These issues are not discussed there at all. Islam that is being criticized is a radical political Islam, and not the religion per se.
The quotations appearing there are taken from the mainstream media of the Arab countries.
0 Replies