The Poor Management Epidemic

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
I'm very lucky because I work at an affluent company that treats its employees pretty well. I'm paid a decent salary and have excellent benes. I'm pretty happy in my job. The management at my company seems to be running things well, at least, I have no complaints.

But from what I'm hearing from friends and on other message boards I visit, this is hardly the norm.

More and more these days, employees are overworked, given unrealistic goals, and poor training. Customer service seems to be a thing of the past. Worst of all, management seems to shrug its corporate shoulders with indifference.

Even good employees are often treated badly. I have a friend in England who works as a chemist at a large pharmaceuticals company. They recently shafted him big time, even though he has been a good, diligent, hard-working, cooperative and brillant employee.

Basically, they made certain promises to him, then reneged on them.

As he said to me, "it seems like management today are all about covering their backs and having no balls." Those are the types who are encouraged to seek management positions!

Well, my friend has such good credentials, he was able to secure another job other within 24 hours of this shaft-getting from his current employer.

What's up with that? What has created this lack of good leadership and management that is becoming an epidemic today?

Any thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 829 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 08:34 am
I remember a couple of years ago, when one of our middle management types retired. All of us who worked under him thought he was a complete a***hole. One of his colleagues took up a collection for a retirement gift. He came and asked us underlings, and obviously, none of us were going to cough up. But he also went through the building where this guy worked. Some of these other management types had worked with this guy for 20 years. He didn't collect a single cent. I think this pretty well sums up the type of worthless, sh!t eating scum that fill most management positions these days.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 12:04 pm
It's because most people get promoted to their level of incompetence.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 08:23 pm
This is so true. It worries me for the future of our country in the international economic scheme of things. However, it sounds as if our country is not the only one with this problem. It seems to be happening worldwide.

It amazes me that such incompetence is not only tolerated, but rewarded and promoted! That certainly isn't the case with us underlings!

How do these people attain these positions and keep them? Is it all a matter of politics?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 04:51 am
Stray Cat wrote:

How do these people attain these positions and keep them? Is it all a matter of politics?

YES
0 Replies