A Veteran's Letter to the President:
"I Return Enclosed the Symbols of My Years of Service"

by Joseph DuRocher

President George W. Bush
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
Washington, D.C. 20500

Dear Mr. President:

As a young man I was honored to serve our nation as a commissioned officer and helicopter pilot in the

U. S. Navy. Before me in WWII, my father defended the country spending two years in the Pacific aboard the U.S.S. Hornet (CV-14). We were patriots sworn "to protect and defend". Today I conclude that you have dishonored our service and the Constitution and principles of our oath. My dad was buried with full military honors so I cannot act for him. But for myself, I return enclosed the symbols of my years of service: the shoulder boards of my rank and my Naval Aviator's wings.

Until your administration, I believed it was inconceivable that the United States would ever initiate an aggressive and preemptive war against a country that posed no threat to us. Until your administration, I thought it was impossible for our nation to take hundreds of persons into custody without provable charges of any kind, and to "disappear" them into holes like Gitmo, Abu Ghraib and Bagram. Until your administration, in my wildest legal fantasy I could not imagine a U.S. Attorney General seeking to justify torture or a President first stating his intent to veto an anti-torture law, and then adding a "signing statement" that he intends to ignore such law as he sees fit. I do not want these things done in my name.

As a citizen, a patriot, a parent and grandparent, a lawyer and law teacher I am left with such a feeling of loss and helplessness. I think of myself as a good American and I ask myself what can I do when I see the face of evil? Illegal and immoral war, torture and confinement for life without trial have never been part of our Constitutional tradition. But my vote has become meaningless because I live in a safe district drawn by your political party. My congressman is unresponsive to my concerns because his time is filled with lobbyists' largess. Protests are limited to your "free speech zones", out of sight of the parade. Even speaking openly is to risk being labeled un-American, pro-terrorist or anti-troops. And I am a disciplined pacifist, so any violent act is out of the question.

Nevertheless, to remain silent is to let you think I approve or support your actions. I do not. So, I am saddened to give up my wings and bars. They were hard won and my parents and wife were as proud as I was when I earned them over forty years ago. But I hate the torture and death you have caused more than I value their symbolism. Giving them up makes me cry for my beloved country.

Joseph W. DuRocher

Joseph DuRocher was for 20 years the elected Public Defender of Florida's Ninth Judicial Circuit, covering Orange and Osceola counties. Since retirement, he's been writing and teaching law at the University of Central Florida and the Barry University School of Law. He was a commissioned officer in the U.S. Navy in the 1960s, serving as a Naval Aviator in the Atlantic, the Caribbean and the Mediterranean. On Monday, Mr. DuRocher returned his Lieutenant's shoulder bars and Navy wings to President Bush, and enclosed the following letter. Mr. DuRocher can be reached at: [email protected].

© 2006 Candide's Notebooks

A sad commentary on America.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 34
No top replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
A poignant letter written by an idealist and sent to a man who is not an idealist.

Let us hope that many will read this letter and reflect on it.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:15 pm
detano inipo wrote:
A poignant letter written by an idealist and sent to a man who is not an idealist.

Let us hope that many will read this letter and reflect on it.

Yes, let's hope so. Does reflection exist anymore? Or just knee jerk reactions? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:30 pm
Very poignant indeed! Wasted words on an idiot, supported by idiots!!

Anon
0 Replies

Akaya

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:06 am
There were an awful lot of big words in that letter...and no pictures.
I think it was a big waste of time.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 12:13 am
Among the huge number of extant veterans, you can probably find a couple who think they're Napoleon, and a couple who think they're God. It doesn't prove a lot.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:27 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
Among the huge number of extant veterans, you can probably find a couple who think they're Napoleon, and a couple who think they're God. It doesn't prove a lot.

You wouldn't believe it's much more than "a couple" who hate the man in the white house if they threw you in a the trunk of a car and drove your blind ass off a cliff.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:24 am
Very moving and considered letter.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 05:41 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

The above words equal a shrug.

The guy pours his heart out, cries out for the nation he knows we may be losing, and he gets a shrug.

Joe(1046 days to go)Nation
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:43 am
It was nastier than a shrug.

It was an eyeroll, too.

(Shrugs)
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 06:47 am
it was just brandon...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:14 am
Sure...but still.

I hate those dumb eyeroll thingies...
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 07:45 am
Rolling Eyes Great letter.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:30 am
History has shown us that men with limited intelligence and almost unlimited power are very dangerous.

This president will end up as the worst in US history.

He has helped the greedy rich and has done nothing for the ordinary US citizen.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:56 am
detano inipo wrote:
History has shown us that men with limited intelligence and almost unlimited power are very dangerous.

This president will end up as the worst in US history.

He has helped the greedy rich and has done nothing for the ordinary US citizen.

The fact that the idiot is even president is fascinating to me. Either the voting machines were rigged and/or there are many, many really ignorant people in the US who would give this moron such power. Fine line between apathy and ignorance.

I wouldn't trust him to wash my car.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:01 am
snood wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

You wouldn't believe it's much more than "a couple" who hate the man in the white house if they threw you in a the trunk of a car and drove your blind ass off a cliff.

I made an argument, you merely counter with a personal insult, the lowest form of debate.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:02 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

The above words equal a shrug.

The guy pours his heart out, cries out for the nation he knows we may be losing, and he gets a shrug.

Joe(1046 days to go)Nation

No, it's a logical assertion, no more, no less.
0 Replies

pachelbel

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:04 am
You made an argument? All by yourself? Aw, gee, brandon, I'm honoured!

Where is the argument? All I see are personal opinions, the lowest form of debate.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:04 am
dlowan wrote:
It was nastier than a shrug.

It was an eyeroll, too.

(Shrugs)

I made the logical point that just because you can find someone in a huge group with a certain opinion says nothing much about the group as a whole. A poll of all American veterans, or even a random sampling would be meaningful, but an anecdote shows very little. If you think that a logical argument in a debate is improper, that's your problem.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:06 am
pachelbel wrote:
You made an argument? All by yourself? Aw, gee, brandon, I'm honoured!

Where is the argument? All I see are personal opinions, the lowest form of debate.

My argument was clearly that finding one individual in a large group who holds an opinion says very little about the group as a whole. If you prefer to debate on the level of impeaching the source, so be it, but I prefer to at least have an argument contained somewhere in my post.
0 Replies