Is bird flu a hoax?

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 04:16 am
It seems some think so, an internet search with "bird flu" +hoax has many good sites with in depth discussion. Motives are put forward and analysis of the cases and from my perspective it seems there is more evidence to support it being a hoax than genuine. Heres a link to one site that has made many comments on it, check in the archives section. Today at least it is on the main page but chages almost daily.

No more fake news
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 933 • Replies: 17
No top replies

vinsan

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 06:02 am
refer this
Nat Geo Investigates: SUPER FLU
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:51 am
Hi Vinsan,
Yes I had read that post from you, it's quite interesting. I don't think that it addresses any of the issues brought up by those who think the dreaded bird flu pandemic is a hoax.

Certainly there is a lot of money to be made from companies that produce vacines so there is motive (millions and millions of dollars).

Totaly the numbers of people who have died from the dreaded bird flu pandemic worldwide is around 100 (hardly a pandemic, at least 10 times that die of heart disease every DAY in the US alone). How are they differentiating this from ordinary flu ? from other respirority cases ? The testing method itself is brought into question as is the confirmed number of so called cases.

Even the wording of a new case is done in such a way to make people scared. "The death toll rises as another new case of the dreaded bird flu pandemic is found" , well of course it would, hardly likely to go down is it?

There are sugggestions bird flu is well documented in birds going back at least 50 years and in all probability hundreds of years.

One comment on your statement in the other post.
Quote:
H5N1 has killed 75% of the people whome it have infeceted. So the mortality rate of the disease is high.

This would assume everyone who had the strain was known. Since there is no real way to tell the difference between the H5N1 and ordinary flu (which rarely kills) one might say 10 times that number could have had the H5N1 thought it was the flu got better and no one knew the first thing about it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:12 am
WOW! A hoax. This is a major relief, Michael, and I thank you for posting it here.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:34 am
Roger--

Sarcasm without smilies?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
I almost never do smilies. I can stand the heat, Noddy.

Oh, I'm going to send you a pm this evening, if I remember. Something I think you asked about, some time ago.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:31 am
Roger--

The Secrets of the Universe! Great!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 11:37 am
I agree with roger - but that doesn't mean that I found the secrets of the universe as well nor so I intend to send Noddy a PM tonight.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:32 pm
Walter--

If Roger comes through, I'll share.
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:52 pm
roger wrote:
WOW! A hoax. This is a major relief, Michael, and I thank you for posting it here.

Ok well I had to expect the sarcasam giving its a conspiricy theory, fair enough.

But think about it , this and SARS the panic created a realitvely small number of cases. Huge economic losses, half the population of the developed world running out to take shots. The power WHO weilds over nations.

So since this is nonsense, which you will be able to debunk in a heartbeat and show a pandemic is on the way. Prove it!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:18 pm
Roger--

I'm waiting on the balcony of my computer for the Secrets of the Universe as Embodied in the Philosopher's Stone.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 08:43 am
Michael_S wrote:
Hi Vinsan,
Yes I had read that post from you, it's quite interesting. I don't think that it addresses any of the issues brought up by those who think the dreaded bird flu pandemic is a hoax.

Good you elaborated... I actually meant to stress on that Nat Geo Episode.... They had addressed the issue that people think how can this disease infect them when they stay far away from South East Asian countires.

But their point is WHY NOT? I mean the world is now a Global Village and people travel countries.

Also H5N1 has been resisted by precautionary measures ONLY i.e. By Killing ALL Birds from the infected area where Bird Flu is suspected. There NO OTHER WAY to resist the virus but Isolation.

Michael_S wrote:
Certainly there is a lot of money to be made from companies that produce vacines so there is motive (millions and millions of dollars).

Making a Vaccine for Flu needs investment. Flu Microorgs are 300 types. Flu viruses change their forms every year. Who will be ready to investigate & invest so much into the Flu viruses changing forms every year and making a vaccine for that annum which will be futile the next year.

Michael_S wrote:
Even the wording of a new case is done in such a way to make people scared. "The death toll rises as another new case of the dreaded bird flu pandemic is found" , well of course it would, hardly likely to go down is it?

There are sugggestions bird flu is well documented in birds going back at least 50 years and in all probability hundreds of years.

One comment on your statement in the other post.
Quote:
H5N1 has killed 75% of the people whome it have infeceted. So the mortality rate of the disease is high.

This would assume everyone who had the strain was known. Since there is no real way to tell the difference between the H5N1 and ordinary flu (which rarely kills) one might say 10 times that number could have had the H5N1 thought it was the flu got better and no one knew the first thing about it.

Basically to make a successful vaccine, the researchers need to find the non-so-changing part of the Flu viral DNA, which is unfortunately Yet not done. So the Flu solution is very cryptic and very political. Not even the commonmost victims ( South Asian countires) are investing so much into the Flu research.

There was this very good episode by Oprah Winfrey on Bird Flu where an American Doctor suggested to be aware of the HOAX feeling in people about Bird Flu where they think its impossible for Americans to catch it ( Rolling Eyes )

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/pastshows/200601/tows_past_20060124.jhtml
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Vinsan,
thank you for the links .

Let's cut to the chase. How is the H5N1 virus diagnosed?

Through an antibodi test? don't antibodies usually mean you have a resistance to a disease? At best all this can tell you is the person has been in contact with H5N1.

How about through a PCR test. The flaw here is, why do you need to amplify the germs millions of times to detect them. Normally wouldn't one expect to see millions of germs without the need for amplification to signify illness?
0 Replies

Michael S

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 11:04 am
You guys can do a bit better than a bit of predicable sarcasam, can't you?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 02:18 pm
Michael_S wrote:
Vinsan,
thank you for the links .

Let's cut to the chase. How is the H5N1 virus diagnosed?

Through an antibodi test? don't antibodies usually mean you have a resistance to a disease? At best all this can tell you is the person has been in contact with H5N1.

How about through a PCR test. The flaw here is, why do you need to amplify the germs millions of times to detect them. Normally wouldn't one expect to see millions of germs without the need for amplification to signify illness?

The presence of antibodies mean that you have been exposed to an antigen which stimulates the production of the antibody. In this case the antigen is a virus. The presence of an antibody might, but does not necessarily, mean you no longer have the virus. Take HIV for instance, a person who is HIV antibody positive will also remain positive for the virus when tested by PCR. Most viral testing is done by PCR or other DNA/RNA amplification methods. Amplification is needed when the sample source contains small numbers of viral copies. Certain viruses such as hepatitis B produce large quantities of viral copies such that the viral load is sufficient to detect via straight antigen testing. Other viruses might produce large quantities of virus, but the number present in a sample source suitable for testing might be small, resulting in the need for amplification. Still other viruses do not replicate rapidly in vivo and will require amplification for detection.

Most people with healthy immune systems can clear most viruses through production of antibodies and other immune response mechanisms. The very young, very old, and immuno-compromised individuals are at greatest risk of succumbing to any viral (or bacterial) infection. The problem with pandemic inducing viruses is that they are completely different than any strain of any other virus that the human body has seen before, therefore there is no natural immunity by pre-circulating strain-similar antibodies.

Antigen, antibody, and DNA/RNA testing require a test be developed specifically to detect the given virus. Such tests have not yet been developed but would certainly be formulated if large-scale diagnostic testing was needed. Currently the options are to grow the virus in culture or do hemaglutination-inhibition testing, neither of which are done on a large scale.

Is it a hoax? At this point there have been few human cases, certainly nothing to assume that a pandemic is imminent. Can the virus mutate to one that is easily transmitted human-to-human? Sure, but will it? My crystal ball is fuzzy, but I know what it takes to get a new product licensed and it isn't a fast process. Is it worth the money it will cost to develop, test, and produce a vaccine? Possibly not, but by the time we decide we need it there won't be time.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 13 Mar, 2006 03:04 pm
bird flu
the problem in many of these diseases lies really in the "unknown" factors . how to test , how to treat , isolation ...
the linked article is a reference to the SARS crisis that hit toronto about five years ago . while the deathtoll was relatively small , there are still health-care workers suffering from the after-effects and treatments .
the question could be asked : should any action be taken at all or is it best to just let it take its course (perhaps depend on standaed flu treatments only) ?
but if it turns out to be much more virulent than expected , it may be difficult to get under control .
(what was it that donald rumsfeld said about the war in iraq : "there are the known unknowns and there are the unknown unknowns" - i may not be quoting him correctly, but i think you get the idea) .hbg
btw . there are still a number of healthworkers that have not been able to return to work yet.

...AFTER SARS...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 08:11 pm
Interesting timing of your question Michael_S. The CDC has recently announced the availability of a PRC test to detect Avian H5N1

Quote:
New Laboratory Assay for Diagnostic Testing of Avian Influenza A/H5 (Asian Lineage)

On February 3, this report was posted as an MMWR Early Release on the MMWR website http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr

On February 3, 2006, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announced clearance of the Influenza A/H5 (Asian Lineage) Virus Real-Time Reverse Transcription--Polymerase Chain Reaction (RT-PCR) Primer and Probe Set and inactivated virus as a source of positive RNA control for the in vitro qualitative detection of highly pathogenic influenza A/H5 virus (Asian lineage). Two genetic lineages of influenza A/H5 viruses exist: Eurasian (Asian) and North American. The primer and probe set, developed at CDC, is designed to detect highly pathogenic influenza A/H5 viruses from the Asian lineage associated with recent laboratory-confirmed infections of avian influenza in humans in east Asia and, most recently, in Turkey and Iraq.

From December 1, 2003, through February 3, 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) reported 161 confirmed human cases of avian influenza A (H5N1); of these, 86 (53%) were fatal (1). The infections occurred in Cambodia, China, Indonesia, Iraq, Thailand, Turkey, and Vietnam. No infections with avian influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage) have been reported in animals or humans in North America. Since February 2004, CDC has recommended enhanced surveillance in the United States for possible cases of human infection with avian influenza A (H5N1) virus (2). Consistent with these interim recommendations, testing for this virus is indicated when a patient has symptoms of severe respiratory illness and a risk for exposure (e.g., direct contact with ill, dead, or infected poultry in a country with outbreaks of influenza H5N1 among poultry). Testing for influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage) should be considered on a case-by-case basis in consultation with local or state health departments.

Testing with the FDA-cleared laboratory RT-PCR assay should be conducted in conjunction with other laboratory testing and clinical observations to help diagnose influenza in patients who might be infected with influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage) viruses and to provide epidemiologic information for surveillance purposes. The test also will help to identify influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage) viruses in laboratory viral cultures. Definitive diagnosis of influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage), either directly from patient specimens or from viral culture, might require additional laboratory testing and clinical and epidemiologic assessment in consultation with national influenza surveillance experts. Negative results do not preclude influenza virus infection and should not be used as the sole basis for treatment or other patient management decisions.

Testing with the new assay will be limited to laboratories designated by the Laboratory Response Network (LRN), which consists of approximately 140 U.S. laboratories in 50 states. LRN-designated laboratories ensure that the laboratory employs experienced personnel who 1) are trained in standardized rapid molecular procedures, 2) perform analyses in facilities with appropriate biosafety equipment and containment procedures, and 3) use established means for communication with public health programs. Influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage) assay protocols and reagents will be distributed by CDC to designated LRN laboratories nationwide during the week of February 6--10, 2006. The real-time RT-PCR primer and probe set is the only laboratory method that has been cleared by FDA for avian influenza A/H5 (Asian lineage) testing and in vitro diagnostic medical device use in the United States. Additional information about the laboratory assay is available at http://www.fda.gov.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 10:48 am
Good Note J_B
0 Replies