Who is Jesus?

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:16 pm
Some marionette of a cartoon God or the living lord and saviour of the world? Was he a straw man or a spiritual man? Was he God or man? Saint or sinner? Real or an imaginary denial?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,496 • Replies: 104
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:19 pm
who cares? christianty is rooted in Saul/Paul. I've never yet met a christian who actually gives a **** about the Beatitudes.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:22 pm
dyslexia wrote:
who cares? christianty is rooted in Saul/Paul. I've never yet met a christian who actually gives a **** about the Beatitudes.

Very good point Dys, but, without a Jesus there could not be a Paul. Smile

What was it about Jesus that facilitated Paul?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:26 pm
Paul never claimed to be "the way"...

He attributed Jesus Christ as being "the way"...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:31 pm
Jesus works for my buddy Marcus who is a general contractor. He is very reliable and has a green card so no immigration problems. Has learned english.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:34 pm
Re: Who is Jesus?
RexRed wrote:
Some marionette of a cartoon God or the living lord and saviour of the world?

I vote: A marionette of a cartoon god.

Quote:
Was he a straw man or a spiritual man?

I consider him a spiritual man? Too bad the Christians of today are so distant from the kind of things he pushed. He had defects. He worshipped an unworthy god.

Quote:
Was he God or man?

My guess: He was a man.

Quote:
Saint or sinner?

Those terms really only have meaning to the superstitious.

Quote:
Real or an imaginary denial?

I don't understand what you are talking about here.

Dys pretty much said many of the things I could add here.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 05:39 pm
The man I blame every time I stub my toe.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 06:00 pm
I don't believe he existed. The persona created of him lives inside many of us for whatever reason. Although Christians claim to worship him, most of them actually follow the precepts of the Old Testament.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 06:11 pm
dyslexia wrote:

and strangely, there are a lot of people who don't claim to be Christians who follow the Beatitudes quite well...
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 06:17 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

and strangely, there are a lot of people who don't claim to be Christians who follow the Beatitudes quite well...

Fact is...and this is sad...some of the most "Christian" folks I know...

...are agnostics and atheists.

Don't get me wrong...there are plenty of bad apples in the agnostic and atheistic ranks...

...but I have met more agnostics and atheists who live along the lines of the teachings of Jesus...than Christians.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 07:53 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I don't believe he existed. The persona created of him lives inside many of us for whatever reason. Although Christians claim to worship him, most of them actually follow the precepts of the Old Testament.

Edgar do you not think that there would be at least one person during the first century that would have debunked the Jesus "story" before all of Asia was infected by Christianity and believed in the space of two years? Even Josephus mentions Jesus... It is incomprehensible that there would not have been someone try to rise up and lead the Jews at the most opportune of times as the first century...

Have you ever considered that maybe Jesus was a real person who did do as the Bible says?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:01 pm
RexRed wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Edgar do you not think that there would be at least one person during the first century that would have debunked the Jesus "story" before all of Asia was infected by Christianity and believed in the space of two years? Even Josephus mentions Jesus... It is incomprehensible that there would not have been someone try to rise up and lead the Jews at the most opportune of times as the first century...

Have you ever considered that maybe Jesus was a real person who did do as the Bible says?

Have you ever considered that Jesus may have been a real person who was not a god?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:08 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
RexRed wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

Have you ever considered that Jesus may have been a real person who was not a god?

Frank, that is what I believe is that Jesus was, a real person and not a god...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:10 pm
It would not be the first time in history the world in general believed a myth.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:16 pm
RexRed wrote:
edgarblythe wrote:

There were plenty of people who debunked "the Jesus story" in the first century. In fact, there wasn't a singular "Jesus story" in the first century... in fact there were many Jesus stories that were quite different... in fact many Christians in the first century didn't believe that Jesus was flesh (in fact in his letters, the apostle Paul takes time to refute these beliefs.

The modern Bible was pulled together in the fourth century. The people who did this chose which parts they liked and then threw out most of what contradicted... although it is clear that the gospel of John is from a slightly different text (with a slightly different doctrine).

Josephus proves that there were people who followed Jesus in the first century. He doesn't prove that Jesus was a real person, or which version of the Jesus story these followers followed. He certainly doesn't justify the modern Bibles version of happenings.

The Bible can be accepted on faith. There is nothing that proves the Bible... and using the Bible to prove the Bible is a logical fallacy.

I know all the arguments... I was an evangelical Christian and was training for the ministry and know the Bible, and todays modern interpretation well.

I also know, from experience, that when you look objectively at the Bible, there is no proof that it is right (other than what your faith tells you).

I won't go any futher than that Frank.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:19 pm
Edgar, I happened upon a site the other day that was saying Jesus as a person never existed. At the time I just glanced at it for a few minutes, as I was looking for something else.

Do you have any readings/websites you could suggest?

I agree that the whole birth from a virgin, father was a god sound very Greek/Roman mythology....but I suppose I hadn't ever given it that much consideration.

I don't believe in original sin, so while I always assumed Jesus was an actual historical figure, I can't make sense of what he was supposedly saving us from.

I'd be interested on reading more on this.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:28 pm
He is Mithra or took over from Mithra.

He is also a demon, Helel.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:00 pm
Reading
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:08 pm
Doesn't the Koran mention Jesus? I believe that he was not considered a saviour but a prophet?

Check with Setana - he knows his stuff.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:18 pm
Jesus is a mythical archetype that may or may not (probably the former) have roots in historical reality.
I don't think 'bible jesus' could have existed for multiple reasons, but there probably was a jewish rabbi that got the 'messianic cult' ball rolling. However since christianity as we know it wasn't created until 325 AD, little is really known how much this original cult leader(assuming his existence) has in common with jesus of biblical christian mythology.
It is clear the latter has much in common with older god-men types, however. That speaks to me.
0 Replies