Dana Reeve Succumbs to Lung Cancer

kermit

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:35 am
Very sad...she was only 44. No smoker and still lung cancer.

Dana Reeve, widow of Christopher Reeve, dies of lung cancer

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/03/07/obit.reeve.ap/index.html

NEW YORK (AP) -- Dana Reeve, who fought for better treatments and possible cures for paralysis through the Christopher Reeve Foundation, named for her late actor-husband, has died. She was 45.

Reeve died Monday of lung cancer at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Medical Center, said Sean Dougherty, a spokesman for the foundation.

"We are extremely saddened by the death of Dana Reeve, whose grace and courage under the most difficult of circumstances was a source of comfort and inspiration to all of us," Kathy Lewis, president and CEO of the foundation, said in a statement.

Reeve won worldwide admiration for her support of her husband, the one-time Hollywood "Superman" turned activist for spinal cord research after a horse-riding accident in 1996.

She served as chairwoman of the Christopher Reeve Foundation and founded the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Resource Center.

Christopher Reeve died in 2004. In August, Dana Reeve announced she had been diagnosed with lung cancer. She said she had never smoked.

She said in November that said she was able to keep her spirits up because she "had a great model. ... I was married to a man who never gave up."

Reeve lived in Westchester County, near New York, with the couple's teenage son, Will. She has appeared on Broadway, off-Broadway and regional stages and on the TV shows "Law & Order," "Oz," and "All My Children."

"Dana will always be remembered for her passion, strength and ceaseless courage that became her hallmark," Lewis said. "Along with her husband, Christopher, she faced adversity with grace and determination, bringing hope to millions around the world."

She is survived by her father, Dr. Charles Morosini; sisters Deborah Morosini and Adrienne Morosini Heilman; two stepchildren, Matthew and Alexandra; and her son.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 905 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Chai

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:51 am
I heard about this just this morning.

So sad...Her son has a lot to deal with now.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:54 am
This was sad news. My heart goes out to her son.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:02 am
So sorry.
I have read that there may be a connection between extreme stress, and the predisposition to develop serious illness, including cancer. She had certainly gone though a lot in her short life. What a shame!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 09:16 am
That poor child.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
yes their son is only 13, i believe. she also has a couple of step children. it's just such a terrible thing to happen to anyone...
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 12:07 pm
this kind of story makes me hope there really is a heaven and she's been reunited with her husband... she would deserve that after all she went through....
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 01:17 pm
Oh no, what a shame. I am sorry to hear this. I was full of hope that she would beat the cancer and quite surprised that it took her so quickly.
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:56 pm
It seems there is a Superman curse just like the Jesus curse.

George Reeve, TV Supermaninthe50s, shot himself in the head when he was typecast.

The actor who played Jesus Jeffrey Hunter had all kinds of misfortune as well as the cast andcrew of 'Passion of Christ'
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 07:05 am
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
this kind of story makes me hope there really is a heaven and she's been reunited with her husband... she would deserve that after all she went through....

honestly..
I am right with you on that thought..

I was watching the news story about this and it crossed my mind that
having a broken heart didnt help her stay healthy either.
She has had cancer for a while and has been on an upswing with her health for.. i think 5 years? Maybe longer? Having a broken heart is probally more painfull then any cancer.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:13 am
i know what you mean about the broken heart thing. i think there was actually some research published recently about people following their deceased spouses shortly thereafter, especially among elderly folks. though dana reeve was still very active (they showed a clip of her singing her heart out at some event!) and i'm sure she had her son to think of, but the combination of the disease itself and everything that's happened couldn't have been good...
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:19 am
This is an incredibly sad story. Ms. Reeve deserved better than this.

Quote:

This kind of story just makes me believe all the more that there is no God. Or if there is, he's one sadistic sonovabitch. I hope their boy is surrounded by friends and extended family right now.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:35 am
I find her death, so soon after the death of her husband, especially heartbreaking. It seems so unfair that this beautiful and vibrant woman, who did so much to help so many people, should be robbed of her future.

And it is beyond unfair that her 13 year old son should have both of his extraordinarily courageous parents taken from him in the span of a year and a half. I hope he has their qualities of strength, for he will need them to cope with what he has already been through and what he will face as he moves to adulthood.
My heart really goes out to him and to the rest of the family.

It is just heartbreaking.
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 10:49 pm
firefly wrote:
I find her death, so soon after the death of her husband, especially heartbreaking. It seems so unfair that this beautiful and vibrant woman, who did so much to help so many people, should be robbed of her future.

And it is beyond unfair that her 13 year old son should have both of his extraordinarily courageous parents taken from him in the span of a year and a half. I hope he has their qualities of strength, for he will need them to cope with what he has already been through and what he will face as he moves to adulthood.
My heart really goes out to him and to the rest of the family.

It is just heartbreaking.

I couldn't have said it better myself.
It's so heartbreaking.
My prayers & thoughts go to Will & the rest of the family.
And, like many people, I do believe that Dana & Christopher will be reunited in Heaven.
0 Replies