Four Charged With Selling Body Parts

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:08 pm
I know that this happened a week ago, but I just heard about it today, and it had not been brought up on A2K.

Quote:
(AP) The owner of a biomedical supply house and three others were charged with selling body parts for use in transplants in a scheme a district attorney called "something out of a cheap horror movie."

Prosecutors said Thursday the defendants made millions of dollars obtaining bodies from funeral parlors in three states and forging death certificates and organ donor consent forms to make it look as if the bones, skin, tendons, heart valves and other tissue were legally removed.

The indictment was the first set of charges to come out of a widening scandal involving scores of funeral homes and hundreds of bodies, including that of "Masterpiece Theatre" host Alistair Cooke, who died in 2004. The investigation has raised fears that some of the body parts could spread disease to transplant recipients.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/02/24/ap/national/mainD8FVE8I00.shtml

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 969 • Replies: 6
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
well, if they discover someone was selling arms to Iraq it would be a bigger story. Kidneys and Livers I'm not so sure about.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:16 pm
dyslexia wrote:
well, if they discover someone was selling arms to Iraq it would be a bigger story. Kidneys and Livers I'm not so sure about.

Don't make me laugh like that, dys. I just might lose it, right where I am sitting! Laughing
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 02:21 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Don't make me laugh like that, dys. I just might lose it, right where I am sitting! Laughing

Well Phoenix just because you're short doesn't mean you can't laugh and/or lose it now and then. When you're driving can other drivers see the top of your head? or do you have a golf cart?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 03:49 pm
Nope, I don't have a golf cart, but a lot of people in my town do. And most of them can't see! Sad

And I am not short. I am vertically challenged!
0 Replies

Anon-Voter

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 04:10 pm
Phoe,

It does sound like a bad "B" movie plot doesn't it! I'm surprised Halliburton isn't behind it, hollowing out soldiers bodies before they are returned to the U.S. Gotta do anything to help with that bottom line you know!!

Anon
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Mar, 2006 05:36 pm
Anon- The thing that is so frightening is the fact that they used old people, with their birthdates changed on the paper work. Can you imagine putting a ninety year old heart valve into a middle aged person? Also, there were absolutely no checks for the deceased's illnesses that could affect the person who received the part.
0 Replies