GIVING BIRTH IN CHAINS

seaglass

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 07:10 pm
seaglass checking in from Hilo Hawaii, I am so glad that someone noticed this story. I was so appaled.

sglass
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:57 am
soozoo wrote:
Wouldn't it be very difficult, if not impossible, to give birth while your feet are shackled together?

The shackles used have a chain between them. They aren't right together. Would it be uncomfortable, yes.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
How ridiculously medieval. This sort of nonsense should've gone out with the rack and the thumbscrew.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:26 am
I want to know why people think a laboring woman will run?

And why, when the body is going through all of this that she should be shackled down?

Men are not shackled to a bed when they are having treatments done.
Just an officer in the room and outside if necessary.

So why a woman?

Does this not strike people as just ******* barbaric?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:52 am
shewolfnm wrote:

Just an officer in the room and outside if necessary.

If they don't shackle men, then no, they shouldn't shackle women. But if they do shackle all prisioners, this should be no different.

Again, it's prison, not a garden party.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 09:59 am
birth isnt a garden party i tell you what. Laughing

that is why I wonder where the ' she might escape' mentality comes from.

If you have a baby coming out of your crotch
the LAST thing you are thinking of , or even capable of, is running away..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 11:59 am
Re: GIVING BIRTH IN CHAINS
Bella Dea wrote:
seaglass wrote:
It should not take a genius to see that chaining a woman's feet together or handcuffing her arm and leg to the side a bed is not a smart thing to do during labor or childbirth.

Can I be the idiot and ask what could happen?

Well, one example was right there in the short article:

Quote:
Court papers in a lawsuit filed in Arkansas claim that because of resistance by the corrections guard, a mother-to-be remained shackled until she had suffered nerve damage and a permanent back injury.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:07 pm
fishin' first wrote:
Eryemil wrote:
Does it warrant this fishin'? I mean, why not just have a couple of guards there at all times? Or are the big bad guards too squeamish to watch a woman giving birth?

It isn't a matter of the guards being squeamish. Doctors and nurses tend to get a little squeamish when their patient grabs a scalpel and starts swinging it at anyone nearby. Then, of course, they sue the state for not protecting them from their patients.

Quote:
There is absolutely no excuse for this draconian law.

I suspect you have absolutely NO experience to draw from to reach this conclusion.

fishin' then wrote:
The practice is completely prohibited in several states

OK, count me confused here.

First, you are telling Eryemil that there's a very real danger that these rules are there to prevent - for one, the danger of the woman in childbirth grabbing a scalpel and threatening the currounding doctors (in order to make her get away, while giving birth?). Thus, you're telling him, it's way too big a jump to call these measures draconic.

Then, right after, you're telling Walter that this very practice is actually completely prohibited in several states.

So - if it is prohibited in several states - then apparently things can be done without the shackles, right? Those states then apparently have found alternative ways to deal with the looming danger, no? And the lawmakers from those states, anyway, then do consider these measure to be too draconic, right?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 12:07 pm
Re: GIVING BIRTH IN CHAINS
nimh wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:
seaglass wrote:
It should not take a genius to see that chaining a woman's feet together or handcuffing her arm and leg to the side a bed is not a smart thing to do during labor or childbirth.

Can I be the idiot and ask what could happen?

Well, one example was right there in the short article:

Quote:
Court papers in a lawsuit filed in Arkansas claim that because of resistance by the corrections guard, a mother-to-be remained shackled until she had suffered nerve damage and a permanent back injury.

But that is an extreme case, right? How does nerve damange happen? What are they doing, hanging her from her legs?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 03:53 pm
nimh wrote:
fishin' first wrote:
Eryemil wrote:
Does it warrant this fishin'? I mean, why not just have a couple of guards there at all times? Or are the big bad guards too squeamish to watch a woman giving birth?

It isn't a matter of the guards being squeamish. Doctors and nurses tend to get a little squeamish when their patient grabs a scalpel and starts swinging it at anyone nearby. Then, of course, they sue the state for not protecting them from their patients.

Quote:
There is absolutely no excuse for this draconian law.

I suspect you have absolutely NO experience to draw from to reach this conclusion.

fishin' then wrote:
The practice is completely prohibited in several states

OK, count me confused here.

First, you are telling Eryemil that there's a very real danger that these rules are there to prevent - for one, the danger of the woman in childbirth grabbing a scalpel and threatening the currounding doctors (in order to make her get away, while giving birth?). Thus, you're telling him, it's way too big a jump to call these measures draconic.

Then, right after, you're telling Walter that this very practice is actually completely prohibited in several states.

So - if it is prohibited in several states - then apparently things can be done without the shackles, right? Those states then apparently have found alternative ways to deal with the looming danger, no? And the lawmakers from those states, anyway, then do consider these measure to be too draconic, right?

I don't know the rationale for why some states have prohibited the practice so I won't comment on whether or not their legislators see it as draconian or not.

It has been prohibited in some states (17 I beleieve was the number) but if other states think they have a valid reason for it then that's for them to decide. The prison systems, facilities and guards vary from state to sate (and even within the state). If one location has proper facilities for a woman to give birth where they can do so without needing any restraints - more power to them. But that doens't mean that every other jail/prison in the country has the same sort of facilities and if the only way they can protect the medical staff is to use restraints then so be it.

IMO, there are times when the risk is there and the use of restraints may be necessary. Do I think it should be used in every case? Absolutely not. Do I think it should be standard practice? Nope! Do I think there are odd situtaions where the precaution is necessary? You betcha!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 04:09 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
I want to know why people think a laboring woman will run?

Maybe because it's happened (or been attempted) before?

Quote:

Do you have anything to show that to be true? I think it happens a lot more than you might think.

Quote:
birth isnt a garden party i tell you what.

that is why I wonder where the ' she might escape' mentality comes from.

If you have a baby coming out of your crotch
the LAST thing you are thinking of , or even capable of, is running away.

In case you hadn't realized a woman can be a labor long before there is a "baby coming out of your crotch". According to at least one WWW site ( http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/pregnancy/childbirth/177.html#1 ) the average labor term for 1st time mothers is somewhere in the range of 15 hours with many in excess of 20 hours.

While a woman may not try to escape during the actual delivery stage that doesn't necessarily follow that they wouldn't try in earlier stages.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 3 Apr, 2006 08:14 pm
then i need to specify my posts because i am talking about the actual delivery stage.
The last 2 hours or so of birth.

Not just the mild begining contractions
Not starting with the breaking of the water..

I mean, when the pushing is serious, the baby is moving down the birth canal and ready to come out.

( im too lazy to use the quote feature but-)

""Do you have anything to show that to be true? I think it happens a lot more than you might think.
""

You are probally right..

I dont have anything concrete to back that up.
Not in the least.

My statement only comes from working in hospitals and watching all but a handfull of prisoners be set 'free' in thier rooms.
The handfull that were chained were either needing Haldol or other similar drugs, or were not yet booked . ( example - drunk drivers seriouslyhurt in a car accident needing medical attention BEFORE going to jail.. )

normally , what would happen is we would get a call saying " officer blah blah is bringing in patient blah blah from county/state jail. PLease ensure a room for what ever treatment.
And we would.
Then the person would be brought IN in thier chains, only to be unlocked in the room, with an officer usually in the room and one outside the door. Ground security would be close at hand as well.
But rarely.. did anyone ever say chained up. And out of all of the prisoners I did see come in to the ER, only a few were women and I dont specifically remember then getting any diffrent treatment...

I could be wrong.. but I really dont think so..

""In case you hadn't realized a woman can be a labor long before there is a "baby coming out of your crotch". According to at least one WWW site ""

ahh yeahh.. I have done this 5 times. ;-)

My first child birth was 3 days.
Beans birth was 7 hours.

That is why I needed to clarify what part of the birthing process I was talking about as all i can see / think of when reading that article was a woman trying to push her child out, while being chained down to a bed. And that image is sickening to me..

Sorry I wasnt being more specific.
I type faster then I think at times..
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 01:25 am
fishin' wrote:
If one location has proper facilities for a woman to give birth where they can do so without needing any restraints - more power to them. But that doens't mean that every other jail/prison in the country has the same sort of facilities and if the only way they can protect the medical staff is to use restraints then so be it.

Well, I think that if facilities for something as basic as a female prison giving birth without being shackled are missing, there is something seriously wrong. Thats the short answer.

I mean, what you're saying here does imply, after all, that this practice is not something that is intrinsically necessary, but something that becomes necessary if "proper facilities" are missing. So more power to Amnesty for highlighting the lack of those - they're basic enough. Prisoners have done something wrong - thats why they're doing time - but they're still humans. And the pain involved in a measure as primitive as being shackled while giving birth is an additional punishment that is way beyond what the judge gave them in accordance to what they did.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:53 am
Maybe they should just set up a high security room for these chick to be in from the monent they leave their cell to the moment they are taken back.

Then there would only be a need for shackles when people are coming and going. Ie, bringing food, water, medical supplies, whatever.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 06:55 am
Jails have 'doctors offices'

I wonder why they cant be used for births?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 07:34 am
Bella Dea wrote:
Maybe they should just set up a high security room for these chick to be in from the monent they leave their cell to the moment they are taken back.

Then there would only be a need for shackles when people are coming and going. Ie, bringing food, water, medical supplies, whatever.

I don't know if you really know how prisons/jails look alike.

But if this is a description of the actual situation in the USA: we know such only from the torture rooms centuries back in some museums.

This is a view out of one mother-child room in our state prison hospital:
http://www.jvk.nrw.de/wir/mke/images/kinde1r.jpg

And here's the playground for toddlers - within the prison
http://www.jvk.nrw.de/wir/mke/images/mke2.jpg
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:39 pm
nimh wrote:
Well, I think that if facilities for something as basic as a female prison giving birth without being shackled are missing, there is something seriously wrong. Thats the short answer.

If you'd like to donate so that every county jail in the U.S. can build a medical facility with a full maternity ward I'm sure those jails would be happy to take your money. Heck, some may even name the facility after you!

Quote:
I mean, what you're saying here does imply, after all, that this practice is not something that is intrinsically necessary, but something that becomes necessary if "proper facilities" are missing. So more power to Amnesty for highlighting the lack of those - they're basic enough. Prisoners have done something wrong - thats why they're doing time - but they're still humans. And the pain involved in a measure as primitive as being shackled while giving birth is an additional punishment that is way beyond what the judge gave them in accordance to what they did.

And I suspect that Amnsety would complain just as loudly if these pregnant women were all moved to jails/prisons that have adequate facilities. They already complained here in MA because women are often kept in a prison that is 30 miles outside of Boston proper and their families have to travel to visit with them.

Amnesty can complain all they'd like but county jails with a dozen beds and 20 people on their staff aren't going to build and staff major medical facilites just in case a pregnant woman happens to get arrested.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 03:55 pm
So the county jails with 10 beds and 20 people staff were meant and not state/federal prisons?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 4 Apr, 2006 04:14 pm
The PDF file you linked says: "The report described conditions for women incarcerated in prisons and jails across the United States."

"Jails" is not the term normally used for State and Federal level facilities. "Jails" are usually at local or county level and "Prisons" are at State or federal level. Based on their report it appears that they covered all of the above.

It seems prudent to assume that they meant "all of the above".
0 Replies