MURDER MOST FOUL

Setanta

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 03:54 pm
On February 20th, a Canadian couple at a resort near Cancun, who had gone there for their daughter's wedding, were stabbed to death in their hotel room.

This is a story from February 22nd on this murder:

Canada-dot-com wrote:
TORONTO -- Two Canadian women, their whereabouts unknown, are the primary suspects in the brutal double slaying of an Ontario couple at a luxurious seaside resort near Cancun, a Mexican State Attorney spokesman confirmed Wednesday.

(Click on the links before each quote for the full article from which the quote is taken.)

As the past week has unfolded, however, many more people are asking about the celerity with which the local officials came to the conclusion that two Canadian women did the deed. People have also questioned the character of the prosecutor's investigation (as is the case in many nations whose laws derive from Roman code, Mexico's judicial system appoints a prosecutor to conduct the investigation of crime). Within a few days, the Mexican prosecutor had said that this was a contract killing--but many observers raised valid objections. Increasingly, people are saying that the prosecutor is focusing on Canadian suspects because he does not want an image arising which would make the "Mayan Riviera" seem a dangerous place. People point out that with the damage suffered in this year's hurricane season, the Yucatan simply cannot afford to potentially lose tourist traffic due to a perception of insecurity.

This Op-Ed piece in The London (Ontario) Free Press can stand as an example of the growing criticism in Canada of the Mexican investigation:

[i]The London Free Press[/i] wrote:
Something about Mexican police work seems awry when two Canadian women were so quickly branded as suspects in the murders of Canadians Domenico and Annunziata Ianiero at a posh resort near Cancun.

This editorial from The Toronto Star calls for the Canadian Prime Mininster to directly contact Mexican Presient Fox:

[i]The Toronto Star[/i] wrote:
Yesterday a Toronto MP, Jim Karygiannis, urged Prime Minister Stephen Harper to pick up a phone and let Mexican President Vicente Fox know that Canadians are appalled by these murders, and are determined that the police carry out a proper investigation, or be held to account.

It would be interesting not only to have other people's comments, but i would be grateful if anyone could come up with some Mexican commentary on this story. Unfortunately, i have no Spanish, so i am unable to make head or tail of any of the few stories i've been able to find. The CBC earlier said that political opposition members in Mexico were criticizing the prosecutor in the Yucatan.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 921 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Stray Cat

Reply Mon 6 Mar, 2006 07:52 pm
This story gets curiouser and curiouser...

I think there's something fishy with this investigation. From what I've heard so far, I find it really hard to believe that the two women who are under suspicion committed this crime.

They have no previous criminal history, in fact, their personal histories and reputations are spotless.

Quote:
Increasingly, people are saying that the prosecutor is focusing on Canadian suspects because he does not want an image arising which would make the "Mayan Riviera" seem a dangerous place.

Yep, that's what it sounds like to me.

I'm wondering if any money or jewelry was stolen from their room? I haven't heard anything about that.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 7 Mar, 2006 08:53 am
According to the reports i've heard, there was no apparent theft involved. The Mexicans briefly stated that it was a professional hit, but when the laughter died down, they let that nonsense die of natural causes. For a while, they were saying that it was an organized crime hit, and that the Ianieros had links to organized crime. They quietly let that one drop, as well. I did hear a couple of days ago a point that an RCMP liaison officer in Mexico brought up: both victims were stabbed, deeply, in the neck from the side and slightly behind, and there was no evidence of struggle, and no defensive wounds. The implication is very strong that the victims knew whoever killed them, or otherwise did not find their presence unusual, such as hotel staff or someone who appeared to be hotel staff.

Start to finish, the Mexicans on the scene seem desparate to suggest that no local people were involved.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 04:14 pm
Today, the CBC reports that, in a completely about-face, Mexican authorities are now looking for four employees of the resort who had not returned to work since the incident. Given that the murders took place more than two weeks ago, this is, to my mind, evidence of the extent to which local authorities were focused on "damage control" for their resort economy, as opposed to effectively investigating the crime.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 08:34 pm
I'm not surprised, I suspected it was hotel employees. I'm betting they were going to rob the couple, but something must have scared them. Maybe they heard someone coming, or got cold feet, so they took off without bothering to take any loot.

I can only imagine what a nightmare this has been for the two women who were originally suspected. It just seemed fairly obvious they were being framed.
0 Replies