Why does God permit suffering?

mans

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:21 pm
but nothing really made God, did it. well, really, i think that is one thing to debate that's really difficult. it's hard to know.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:29 pm
Chumly wrote:
Intrepid in his limited intellect tries to determine what Chumly had planned and how Chumly governs over his plan Smile

Intrepid doesn't give a flying leap what Chumly plans or governs. Chumly is but an ant in God's world. Why do you insist on making it personal?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 08:54 pm
I promise I'll never tease you again.
<crosses fingers>
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:29 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
Real life says his god (never) intends for it to end.

Didn't say this. That was Joe.
Oh, then why does he permit it?

He doesn't.
Shheesh!

Then why doesn't he end it?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:33 pm
Intrepid wrote:
Man, in his limited intellect tries to determine what God had planned and how He governs over his plan.
Intrepid; I thought you might say there are some answers to be found in the bible.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 09:50 pm
neologist wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Man, in his limited intellect tries to determine what God had planned and how He governs over his plan.
Intrepid; I thought you might say there are some answers to be found in the bible.

I normally would. I guess I am getting into the mindset that some might understand since they don't want to try to understand the bible.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:25 pm
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

He doesn't.
Shheesh!

That's an entirely different question than 'Why does He permit it?'

The Bible foretells the end of suffering on Earth, as I'm sure you are aware.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:38 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
. . .
Joe(If you say anything like 'mysterious ways' then I'll get angry)Nation

Joe(I love humans, they are so natural)Nation
Let's get back for a moment to your empathy for the suffering of children:

If you, as a parent, had a child suffering from a debilitating condition, and knew that a certain surgery would give your child a chance for a normal life, would you allow the child to undergo it?

Would you allow surgery even though it might cause considerable pain?

No doubt most of us would.

And, after your child recovers and experiences a few years of pain free and happy life woud he or she thank you for your decision or revile you for the long forgotten pain?

God has even greater empathy for his creations. Think of all the people who have died the most terrible deaths. Do you believe there are any who, upon being resurrected to the prospect of eternal pain free life, would rather curse God than thank him for the second chance?

I know you don't believe in God, so this sounds totally far fetched. But it is what the bible promises. We were created for earthly life and that is the purpose God will see fulfilled. Those who die, no matter how wicked, will simply cease to exist. No hell. No roasting, toasting, baking or broiling. No consciousness. No nothing.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:43 pm
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:
real life wrote:
neologist wrote:

He doesn't.
Shheesh!

That's an entirely different question than 'Why does He permit it?'

The Bible foretells the end of suffering on Earth, as I'm sure you are aware.
Word splitter! Razz
0 Replies

mans

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:48 pm
Quote:
No hell. No roasting, toasting, baking or broiling. No consciousness. No nothing.
Quote:

hey, that reminds me. ever tried to think of life after death, if you won't exist? so confusing. because you know you won't be able to think, but where would you be, what would you do? but you wouldn't exist, so...
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:00 am
Intrepid wrote:
I guess I am getting into the mindset that some might understand since they don't want to try to understand the bible.
To "understand" the bible is not a de facto confirmation of the literal or symbolic belief in the bible.

In fact "understand" means to comprehend or know thoroughly, it does not impute belief.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:13 am
neologist wrote:
Do you believe there are any who, upon being resurrected to the prospect of eternal pain free life, would rather curse God than thank him for the second chance?
Yes in fact I do.

There are many that revel in their pain. Their pain is part of their symbol of existence. The premise that pain is a definitive negative and that a pain free existence must be an inherently better existence is dubious.

No pain no gain.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:51 am
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Do you believe there are any who, upon being resurrected to the prospect of eternal pain free life, would rather curse God than thank him for the second chance?
Yes in fact I do.

There are many that revel in their pain. Their pain is part of their symbol of existence. The premise that pain is a definitive negative and that a pain free existence must be an inherently better existence is dubious.

No pain no gain.
I'm not talking about the righteous pain that comes from your fifth set of power squats. I'm talking about the pain of dismemberment and immolation. I'm talking about the pain of losing a loved one in death. What's the gain in that?

But even if you were right, the dead can't thank or curse anyone.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:02 am
I'm not talking about "the righteous pain that comes from your fifth set of power squats" either. I am "talking about the pain of dismemberment and immolation." I am "talking about the pain of losing a loved one in death."

What's the gain in that you ask? I suggest you look closely at many of man's greatest treasures both in the literal sense and in the figurative sense; you will see the pain in the beauty clearly.

I do not know what you mean by "but even if you were right, the dead can't thank or curse anyone". They do not have to "thank or curse anyone" as their impetus lives on with us and through us vis-à-vis many of man's greatest treasures.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 05:28 am
neologist wrote:
Let's get back for a moment to your empathy for the suffering of children:

If you, as a parent, had a child suffering from a debilitating condition, and knew that a certain surgery would give your child a chance for a normal life, would you allow the child to undergo it?
Would you allow surgery even though it might cause considerable pain?
No doubt most of us would.
And, after your child recovers and experiences a few years of pain free and happy life woud he or she thank you for your decision or revile you for the long forgotten pain?

God has even greater empathy for his creations. Think of all the people who have died the most terrible deaths. Do you believe there are any who, upon being resurrected to the prospect of eternal pain free life, would rather curse God than thank him for the second chance?

I know you don't believe in God, so this sounds totally far fetched. But it is what the bible promises. We were created for earthly life and that is the purpose God will see fulfilled. Those who die, no matter how wicked, will simply cease to exist. No hell. No roasting, toasting, baking or broiling. No consciousness. No nothing.

Um. Assuming God creates everything, he would have created, hopefully unlike the natural father, the debilitating condition from which the child, god's child, suffers. That has a certain sadistic nature to it, kind of like he strung the kid up by his thumbs for a couple of hours but then expected gratitude and love once he let him loose. Hallelujah.

Then there is this:
Quote:
We were created for earthly life and that is the purpose God will see fulfilled. Those who die, no matter how wicked, will simply cease to exist. No hell. No roasting, toasting, baking or broiling. No consciousness. No nothing.

I've read of a minister in Tulsa who ended up being called a heretic for such talk. Imagine : no hell below us, above us only sky. You're getting close.

You're also getting close to understanding that life, living life, doesn't have beans to do with any kind of superior being. It has to do with me and you making this a better place. We do that out of our love of humanity, not the fear or awe of imaginary creatures big and small, to make this life, full of pain as it is sometimes, more than bearable, joyful.

Joe(I don't need a second chance, I've got this one.)Nation
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 07:58 am
Chumly wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
I guess I am getting into the mindset that some might understand since they don't want to try to understand the bible.
To "understand" the bible is not a de facto confirmation of the literal or symbolic belief in the bible.

In fact "understand" means to comprehend or know thoroughly, it does not impute belief.

How does one believe without some measure of understanding?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:19 am
Chumly wrote:
I'm not talking about "the righteous pain that comes from your fifth set of power squats" either. I am "talking about the pain of dismemberment and immolation." I am "talking about the pain of losing a loved one in death."

What's the gain in that you ask? I suggest you look closely at many of man's greatest treasures both in the literal sense and in the figurative sense; you will see the pain in the beauty clearly.

I do not know what you mean by "but even if you were right, the dead can't thank or curse anyone". They do not have to "thank or curse anyone" as their impetus lives on with us and through us vis-à-vis many of man's greatest treasures.
So, when the artist lops off his ear, we should rejoice?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 08:27 am
Joe Nation wrote:
(Quote from uno who) . . .
Um. Assuming God creates everything, he would have created, hopefully unlike the natural father, the debilitating condition from which the child, god's child, suffers. That has a certain sadistic nature to it, kind of like he strung the kid up by his thumbs for a couple of hours but then expected gratitude and love once he let him loose. Hallelujah.
Quite on point and a telling condemnation if it were God who had been responsible for the suffering in the first place.
Joe Nation wrote:
Then there is this:
yours truly wrote:
We were created for earthly life and that is the purpose God will see fulfilled. Those who die, no matter how wicked, will simply cease to exist. No hell. No roasting, toasting, baking or broiling. No consciousness. No nothing.

I've read of a minister in Tulsa who ended up being called a heretic for such talk. Imagine : no hell below us, above us only sky. You're getting close. (ellipses) . . .

Joe(I don't need a second chance, I've got this one.)Nation
The truth can get one in trouble. :wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 11:02 am
I haven't read what has been written before. Nor do I intend to. I will just note that the premise is that God gave man free will. And left to their devices man it would seem is intent on inflicting pain and suffering.
And yes i do believe there is a supreme being. However, far different from the one depicted by any religion.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 01:38 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:

So, when the artist lops off his ear, we should rejoice?
The royal "we" is not the point, nor does it matter whether "we" rejoice or do not rejoice.

Further I was far from simply referring to the artist. Check out the history of how man traveled to the moon and back starting with Chinese rocketry and going onto Goddard et al.
0 Replies