college level essays

llf

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:53 pm
I have to write a college level analysis essay in 3rd person, unfortunately I don't understand this concept...analysis essay? .....3rd person?.....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 466 • Replies: 3
No top replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:10 pm
At what point in your schooling are you? Are you actually in college? If so, I'm not quite sure how you could not know what third person is, so I expect that you do know what it is and you've just never heard the term, if you see what I mean. Smile

It's just when you write without telling things from your point of view; you know, no "I thought" or "I said." If you write "I drove the car," that's first person; if you write, "Llf drove the car," that's third person. Good enough? I imagine you're familiar with what I'm talking about, but if that explanation doesn't ring a bell, let me know and I'll try harder. Very Happy

Generally, teachers want you to write essays in third person; you avoid writing anything like, "I think," "When I read this," etc. You'd choose instead, "The reader may find," "Some feel that," something like that.

Now, analysis seems pretty self-explanatory. If you don't quite grasp how to write an analytical essay, you probably need to talk to your teacher about what he or she is looking for, get some examples, etc.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 08:14 am
Ilf--

Welcome to A2KA.

We've had several questions lately about writing analytic/analysis essays.

Cyphercat is right about the "Third Person" concept. Suppose you were involved an automobile accident and wrote an account of what happened to your family. "I turned...I saw". This would be first person.

Then imagine the same accident being covered in a newspaper or written up in a police report, "The driver turned into the sun and...."

I'm guessing that by "analysis" your instructor wants to see facts, not opinions. You probably have an opinion of George Bush, but in an analytic essay you would describe GAB--with footnotes to show where the material came from--keeping your opinions to yourself unless they could be substantiated by footnoted material.

One characteristic of an educated person is the ability to analyse a situation and to be objective about the results of the analysis. The English Department is doing what they can.
0 Replies

llf

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 07:41 am
thanks guys...for the record I am a freshman, I ttend junior college and I well up in age to where this stuff was not actually taught in extreme(specifics) in my day of schooling but I am trying...many people i ask about this have various explanations....1st...I.....2nd....You.....3rd.....he/she.......THANKS
0 Replies