This is just about the creepiest thing ever....

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:03 pm
Dayton Leroy Rogers, Oregon's most prolific and gruesome serial killer, is once again up for resentencing.

At the hearing the psychologist working with him says "Rogers would like to help the terminally ill make it through their last days or minutes of life in peace as a hospice volunteer, but first he needs permission."

Even within the walls of prison I don't think that giving this guy permission to "help" people die is a very good idea.

What say you, oh jurors of A2K?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,815 • Replies: 23
No top replies

George

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
Depends.
Do you want that last stage of your life-journey to be comfortable -- or fast?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:53 pm
Resentencing?

What is that?

I guess the fella knows a bit about death.....

Methinketh the psychologist is a total idiot.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:59 pm
Eew, does this not seem like the guy just wants another venue to watch people die?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:24 pm
my thoughts exactly cypher.

he cant fill his quirk on his own time, so he will do it on state time..
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:28 pm
He might add a certain professionalism to executions.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:46 pm
Oh wow. Shocked Creepy is right, Boomerang.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
I think the Stockholm Syndrome (or some ramification of the Stockholm Syndrome) is at work here.

The psychologist has labored for week after week to get this guy to understand what murder means. Now Master Therapist is so proud of his results (or what he thinks are his results) that he wants to share with the entire world.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 04:20 pm
Noddy,

Isn't Stockholm Syndrome where a captive identifies with their captor and will protect them?

I was thinking Munchausen's or Munchausen's by Proxy kind of? Garnering attention at the cost of another's misery?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:03 pm
I think that the shrink is a few sandwiches short of a picnic. His patient gets off on killing people, and enjoys seeing them dying. He would be the WORST person to be a hospice volunteer, and could potentially could cause the dying a lot of unnecessary misery.
0 Replies

Fedral

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:14 pm
Unless this guy is going to be working at the Doctor Kevorkian Center for Assisted Dying, he shouldn't be allowed within 100 miles of a hospital, hospice or hostel...

Heck, he shouldn't be allowed to LOOK at these kinds of places ...

I'd be more comfortable if he wasn't allwed to THINK about these places.

I think the Pshrink needs some SERIOUS therapy to break him of the delusion that all his little 'test subject' needs is a 'second chance'.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:25 pm
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who got the shivers from this.

Rogers is on death row so it would be a prison hospice but even then it is just too creepy for words.

Resentencing, dlowan....

Hmmm....

This is the third time Rogers has been sentenced.

He was given the death penalty at the first sentencing but jury instructions were... off.... somehow so he was sentenced again to death.

That time it seems the jury was not given the option of life without parole (only life with possible parole or death) so he is being sentenced again.

I don't want to get into a whole death penalty argument or a discussion on the absurdity of a sentence called "life with possible parole" but Rogers will never be a free man again. That, in my opinion is as it should be. I don't think people who kill for the joy of killing should ever be set free.

Nor do I think they should be allowed to "comfort" the dying.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:35 pm
A prison hospice? OMG! Shocked Boomerang, that sounds even creepier! I mean, those guys are suffering enough just being in prison, right? And he wants to be there to help them along? Eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwww!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:28 pm
Momma, people die from disease and illness and injury in prison every day.

I, for one, am glad that hospice care is available to prisoners.

But I don't think that people who get their kicks watching people die really need to be the ones that hold their hands while they're dying.

Talk about cruel and unusual.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 08:03 pm
Boomerang,

I was trying to figure out why it seemed you had a problem with what I posted. I meant like "shock at HIM working in a prison hospice! Shocked " I didn't mean they shouldn't have one.

You are so right, that would be the ultimate in cruel and unusual, wouldn't it. You don't suppose there really is any way that this man completely changed his views, do you?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 08:36 pm
No problem at all, Momma. I'm sorry if my post made it sound that way.

It seemed that perhaps you weren't quite clicking on the fact that this guy will NEVER be out of prison.

I do belive that people can be rehabilitated.

I do belive that there are people on death row who commited murder in a "crime of passion" sense and that they aren't really dangerous to anyone else. Not that passion excuses their actions.

Those people should perhaps be allowed to be hospice volunteers, if they so desired.

But Dayton Rogers.....

No.

He enjoyed watching women suffer and die.

I think he would still be at it today if he hadn't been caught.

Another thing that was in the paper today was the psychologist saying that, at 51 years old, Rogers' sexual nature was diminished so he was no longer a threat to anyone.

Like his crimes really had anything to do with sex.

I don't know....

I just can't imagine being some schlub in prison on some nutty three strikes and you're out business, laying there dying of.... pancreatic cancer or something... and discovering that my "helper" is someone who likes to watch people die.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:27 pm
Just glad we have it straight between us, Boomerang. Laughing

He's 51? Well, if my husband is any indication of what a man of that age is capable of I'd say this guy, if not caught, would definitely be doing it for a long time to come.

I am so glad he will never be out of prison. But, you are so right about one thing (or whoever said it). I think letting him do this would be the same thing as letting him out of prison to kill again. I just don't see where there would be any difference.

And Boomerang, you're right, it's not about sex. It's about power. And if they let him do this, they are giving him all the power he will ever need.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:38 pm
Has he apologized?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 07:42 pm
I read your response last night JLNobody and I've thought about it a lot since then.

He has apologized.

He did again today prior to re-sentencing.

Apologizing......

I'm pretty big on forgiveness but this man didn't saw off my daughter's feet.

And then kill her.

So it's not my place to decide whether he should be forgiven.

But I am very, very curious as to why you ask about the apology.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sat 4 Mar, 2006 12:31 am
Me too.
0 Replies