consultant and counsellor ?

rache

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 09:56 am
I had an assignment about the discussing the role of nursing consultant. I did it but my instructor said I got the wrong idea because I did use the counselling process. I am very confused about this. Is it very different meaning?

Could any people help me to figure out this?
Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 409 • Replies: 3
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:15 am
Hi rache,

"Consultant" and "counsellor" have very different meanings. "Consultant" is more about sharing specialized knowledge in a peer-to-peer manner. For example, I used to direct an agency for deaf and hard of hearing adults. For a while after I quit, I acted as a consultant by giving advice to others in my field (other directors) about how to make their agencies successful.

Meanwhile, counselling is usually more of a mental health issue, and is done between a professional and a client or patient of some kind -- not a peer. When I directed my agency, I also acted as a counsellor for my clients -- I helped them through difficult relationships, etc.

Does that help?
0 Replies

rache

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:37 am
HI, Thanks a lot. Your answer is very clear. Now I feel better because I was thinking about my assignment for a few days. From your answer I think you are working in the health field. Do you? Are you a nurse?
I am studying for nurse, And I feel this field is not easy one. Also, today is the first time I am here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:40 am
Glad it helped.

I'm not a nurse, no. It's a noble profession, though, good for you for choosing it.

And welcome to A2K.
0 Replies