A first(?) thread on 2008: McCain,Giuliani & the Republicans

revel

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 10:07 am
mysteryman wrote:
revel wrote:
McCain Pushed Land Swap That Benefits Backer

Quote:
PRESCOTT, Ariz. -- Sen. John McCain championed legislation that will let an Arizona rancher trade remote grassland and ponderosa pine forest here for acres of valuable federally owned property that is ready for development, a land swap that now stands to directly benefit one of his top presidential campaign fundraisers].

Interesting that you ignore this part of the story...

Quote:
The Audubon Society described the exchange as the largest in Arizona history. The swap involved more than 55,000 acres of land in all, including rare expanses of desert woodland and pronghorn antelope habitat. The deal had support from many local officials and the Arizona Republic newspaper for its expansion of the Prescott National Forest.

So there was nothing illegal in the deal, according to the article you linked to.
Whats the problem?

I already stated as what I saw as the problem in response to Tico. McCain really pushed for compaign reform. A major fund raiser for McCain's compaign now stands to directly benifit from the land swap. Does the phrase quid pro quo mean anything to you?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 10:29 am
revel wrote:
I already stated as what I saw as the problem in response to Tico. McCain really pushed for compaign reform. A major fund raiser for McCain's compaign now stands to directly benifit from the land swap. Does the phrase quid pro quo mean anything to you?

So you are concerned with the appearance of impropriety?

I'm sure you'd tell us if you felt there was a bigger concern here, like if you felt McCain was doing something not in the best interests of the public, merely to benefit a fund raiser of his, right?
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 02:08 pm
revel wrote:

Revel, I don't suppose you see anything wrong with Harry Reed's wheeling and dealing with his partners in Nevada, trading land, etc.?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 02:48 pm
okie wrote:
revel wrote:

Revel, I don't suppose you see anything wrong with Harry Reed's wheeling and dealing with his partners in Nevada, trading land, etc.?

I seem to recall you and others on your team trying to make hay out of this. Are you willing to hold McCain to the same standards?

It didn't really bother me then and it doesn't really bother me now.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 03:34 pm
McCain pushing that land swap after pushing the compaign reform through is like a preacher preaching against adultry and sin and then having a mistress sitting on the front pew along side his wife and kids is and was my only point.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 03:55 pm
If he had a central role in orchestrating a land deal to benefit one of his largest contributors, given that is correct, I agree McCain should have re-cused himself from the picture and should have told the other senator or congressmen from Arizona to look into it. If he did not have a central role in it, I see nothing wrong, and if the contributor was not a major one, also not a big deal.

However, it is still not as bad in my opinion as Harry Reid benefiting personally from land swaps and deals that have been pushed along by the fact he is in Congress.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:13 am
GOP Veepstakes!
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 08:02 pm
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/ca0530cd.jpg
0 Replies