Who's booty you kissing?

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:19 pm
Frank,

Are you trying to tell me and others that you don't think the God of the Bible is barbarious, murderous, spiteful, and a bunch of other words you have used?

Do you really expect us to believe that just because you didn't say, "I believe (guess, think, feel, whatever word you would use here) God is ........your words here." That we should not have taken your statements to at least imply that is how you felt, believed, guessed (enter whatever word you want here)?

IMO you are either playing with words or playing with our minds on this one, Frank. But, I will give you the benefit of a doubt. Can you please explain to me why all this time you have typed these words in relation to God in the Bible if you don't actually (use your word because I don't know what to use) that way?

Confused in Louisiana.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:47 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Frank,

Are you trying to tell me and others that you don't think the God of the Bible is barbarious, murderous, spiteful, and a bunch of other words you have used?

Why do you have so much trouble reading the English language, MA?

Why do we have to go through this nonsense damn near every time you reply to a post?

Learn to read!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

IMO you are either playing with words or playing with our minds...

That would be pre-supposing there is a mind to play with.

I guarantee you I am not "playing with your mind."

Quote:
....on this one, Frank. But, I will give you the benefit of a doubt. Can you please explain to me why all this time you have typed these words in relation to God in the Bible if you don't actually (use your word because I don't know what to use) that way?

Confused in Louisiana.[/color]

Don't give me the benefit of the doubt, MA. Give me the benefit of reading what I write...and responding to that instead of these incredible misunderstandings of yours.

Go back and read that post of mine again. Try to figure out what the English language is clearly saying in that post. Use your brain.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:47 pm
How is this possible time after time after time?????
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 06:54 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
How is this possible time after time after time?????

It's a psychological thing.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 8 Mar, 2006 07:47 pm
Frank,

WHY do you think I asked you what you meant? Don't you think it was because I wasn't sure and I wanted to let you know it.

I am not an idiot and I'm getting pretty sick and tired of you implying that I am just because I don't happen to grasp everything the way you do or as fast as you do!
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 12:22 am
Heph, I read your post on page 24. I must tell you how sorry I am to hear you suffered so.

My own trials have now been put into proper perspective.

I've been quite busy and hope to get back to the board soon; but I just wanted to say this.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:06 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, I've often heard it said that indifference, rather than hate, is the opposite of love. In my experience, I can see how that would be true.

There is a scripture that says "perfect love casts out fear"(1 John 4:18).

You know I'm glad you brought this up snood. Thank you. In order to understand it better it is good to look at the original greek wording used. However in all fairness you also have to look at the whole scripture. Anyone can pick and choose words out of anything and make it out to be whatever they want it to.

1 John 4
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19 We love Him because He first loved us.

Love:
26. agape ag-ah'-pay from 25; love, i.e. affection or benevolence; specially (plural) a love-feast:--(feast of) charity(-ably), dear, love.

Fear:
5401. phobos fob'-os from a primary phebomai (to be put in fear); alarm or fright:--be afraid, + exceedingly, fear, terror.

As you can see from the original word "phobos" this is the "barbaric" type of fear that is cast out by love.

Fear:
1 archaic : FRIGHTEN
2 archaic : to feel fear in (oneself)

3 : to have a reverential awe of <fear God>
4 : to be afraid of : expect with alarm
intransitive senses : to be afraid or apprehensive
- fear·er noun

Not to be mistaken with the fear of the Lord:

Psalm 22
23 You who fear(3373) the LORD, praise Him! All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, And fear(1481) Him, all you offspring of Israel!

3373 yare' yaw-ray' from 3372; fearing; morally, reverent:--afraid, fear (-ful).

1481 guwr goor a primitive root; properly, to turn aside from the road (for a lodging or any other purpose), i.e. sojourn (as a guest); also to shrink, fear (as in a strange place); also to gather for hostility (as afraid):--abide, assemble, be afraid, dwell, fear, gather (together), inhabitant, remain, sojourn, stand in awe, (be) stranger, X surely.

Fear:
- fear·er noun

After looking at this I can understand why barbaric fear I could be considered opposite of love. However there is more than one kind of fear. I don't believe that the fear of God is opposite of love. I still believe it works hand in hand in some aspects. Love matched with reverence, not being afraid, but being in awe of.

However, having done some research I am realizing a few things about fear I never saw before. There are actually several different greek and hebrew words that were translated into fear. Some are very similar in meaning and others, like what I've shown here, are different. I need to look into this further because I'm a little surprised at the results I'm getting here. LOL (Miss eppie may have talked herself right into a corner on this one!) Don't get too excited though... It's not over till the fat lady sings... LOL... Oh boy...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 01:26 am
neologist wrote:
Heph, I read your post on page 24. I must tell you how sorry I am to hear you suffered so.

My own trials have now been put into proper perspective.

I've been quite busy and hope to get back to the board soon; but I just wanted to say this.

Thank you neo. I'm not sorry anymore. Those things, as hard as they were at the time, have made me what I am today. They have given me the insight to help the kids I work with in some pretty incredible ways. That is priceless.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 03:22 am
hephzibah,

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. The way I interpret your posts is that faith can not be rationalized. In my opinion, belief in anything divine comes through intuitive feeling rather than through detached analysis.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 05:10 am
I suspect that fear of the Lord only means being morally reverent without involving any actual fear, because modern Christians redefined it as such.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 05:57 am
hephzibah wrote:
snood wrote:
Yeah, I've often heard it said that indifference, rather than hate, is the opposite of love. In my experience, I can see how that would be true.

There is a scripture that says "perfect love casts out fear"(1 John 4:18).

You know I'm glad you brought this up snood. Thank you. In order to understand it better it is good to look at the original greek wording used. However in all fairness you also have to look at the whole scripture. Anyone can pick and choose words out of anything and make it out to be whatever they want it to.

1 John 4
18 There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment. But he who fears has not been made perfect in love. 19 We love Him because He first loved us.

Love:
26. agape ag-ah'-pay from 25; love, i.e. affection or benevolence; specially (plural) a love-feast:--(feast of) charity(-ably), dear, love.

Fear:
5401. phobos fob'-os from a primary phebomai (to be put in fear); alarm or fright:--be afraid, + exceedingly, fear, terror.

As you can see from the original word "phobos" this is the "barbaric" type of fear that is cast out by love.

Fear:

- fear·er noun

Not to be mistaken with the fear of the Lord:

Psalm 22
23 You who fear(3373) the LORD, praise Him! All you descendants of Jacob, glorify Him, And fear(1481) Him, all you offspring of Israel!

3373 yare' yaw-ray' from 3372; fearing; morally, reverent:--afraid, fear (-ful).

1481 guwr goor a primitive root; properly, to turn aside from the road (for a lodging or any other purpose), i.e. sojourn (as a guest); also to shrink, fear (as in a strange place); also to gather for hostility (as afraid):--abide, assemble, be afraid, dwell, fear, gather (together), inhabitant, remain, sojourn, stand in awe, (be) stranger, X surely.

Fear:
- fear·er noun

After looking at this I can understand why barbaric fear I could be considered opposite of love. However there is more than one kind of fear. I don't believe that the fear of God is opposite of love. I still believe it works hand in hand in some aspects. Love matched with reverence, not being afraid, but being in awe of.

However, having done some research I am realizing a few things about fear I never saw before. There are actually several different greek and hebrew words that were translated into fear. Some are very similar in meaning and others, like what I've shown here, are different. I need to look into this further because I'm a little surprised at the results I'm getting here. LOL (Miss eppie may have talked herself right into a corner on this one!) Don't get too excited though... It's not over till the fat lady sings... LOL... Oh boy...

And you having delivered that very circuituous etymology lesson, we arrive at square one. But I hope you feel better for holding forth.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 07:10 am
I find quite a lot of arguments that have a religious element to them tend to be circular in nature.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 08:17 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I find quite a lot of arguments that have a religious element to them tend to be circular in nature.

Are you saying that you find some that are not????

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:15 am
wandeljw wrote:
hephzibah,

Thanks for sharing your personal experiences. The way I interpret your posts is that faith can not be rationalized. In my opinion, belief in anything divine comes through intuitive feeling rather than through detached analysis.

No, I don't suppose faith can be rationalized. After all if it could be rationalized it wouldn't really be faith. I don't know how much of it is really feelings though either.

Wolf wrote:

Quote:
I suspect that fear of the Lord only means being morally reverent without involving any actual fear, because modern Christians redefined it as such.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaa hahaha! I can't even respond to this.

Snood wrote:
Quote:
And you having delivered that very circuituous etymology lesson, we arrive at square one. But I hope you feel better for holding forth.

I suppose snood. I suppose. Rolling Eyes I just wanted to point out very clearly that the example you used was talking about the barbaric kind of fear. There is a difference. Though I'm getting tired of beating a dead horse. I surprised myself on this one. I don't usually hang on to stuff this long.

Wolf wrote:
Quote:

Well, that's interesting wolf. It might be helpful to keep it going in an actual direction if once in awhile you added something more to the conversation than derogatory comments.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
I think you'll find the "derogatory comments" have no bearing on the circular nature.

The circular nature of the argument is not just circular logic, I was referring to. It was also circular debate. Debating the same point over and over again, because one side can't understand the other.

It is not derogatory in any manner. It is a fact about religious debates. They go round in circles. I merely pointed out the blindingly obvious, which I assume, Frank was mocking me for doing.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:30 am
dyslexia wrote:
I would venture the opinion that love and apathy are opposites. Fear is a simple motivator.

Just saw this. Hmmm. That sounds a little closer to the truth. Good point Dys.

You know, I just went back to read a little and see what comments had been made concerning love and fear being opposites. So far all I've found is Tycoon presenting an idea, Frank agreeing, Echi joining the battle, snood presenting a little something, and me talking. LOL So, unless someone would like to actually present why they think they are opposites I think I've made my case and point. G'day. Very Happy
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:42 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:
I think you'll find the "derogatory comments" have no bearing on the circular nature.

The circular nature of the argument is not just circular logic, I was referring to. It was also circular debate. Debating the same point over and over again, because one side can't understand the other.

It is not derogatory in any manner. It is a fact about religious debates. They go round in circles. I merely pointed out the blindingly obvious, which I assume, Frank was mocking me for doing.

Wolf, I do understand your point. I'm just saying if you don't like the direction it's going, or you feel it is going in circles, then change it. Present an agrument that can be argued and pull it out of the circular motion rather than just making a negative comment about the direction it's going.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:46 am
hephzibah wrote:
Wolf, I do understand your point. I'm just saying if you don't like the direction it's going, or you feel it is going in circles, then change it. Present an agrument that can be argued and pull it out of the circular motion rather than just making a negative comment about the direction it's going.

Impossible. If I had been able to do that, the seven Evolution vs. Creationism debates I've been to wouldn't have been locked for going round and round. If I had been able to do that, the Evolution debate here in these forums wouldn't have gone up to 740 pages.

Now what were we talking about before we went on to a completely off-topic tangent? No seriously, I can't quite figure out what we were talking about before the whole Frank-MA-language-skills argument...
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:48 am
Rolling Eyes Oh brother... spare me the nonsense would ya?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 9 Mar, 2006 09:51 am
Wolf_ODonnell wrote:

I was not mocking you at all. I was, in a kidding way...seconding what you were saying.
0 Replies