Who's booty you kissing?

roger

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:21 am
Probably not.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 01:22 am
Yeah... talking is something I'm good at... making sense... well that's a different story! whoooo hooooo! LOL
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:25 am
hephzibah wrote:
Well Mr. Chumly sir, first of all let me recall to your memory that I said: "It has done ME no harm. It has only done ME good."
I am aware of the "ME" part. You might want to read the last bit of my post which was to your point, I guess you missed it. Most of my post was basically a preamble to the last bit which contains the "ME" thought experiment.
neologist wrote:
Ya gotta have the right perspective! Laughing
Good humors!
0 Replies

tycoon

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:02 am
hephzibah wrote:
So... Frank, Ty, tell me how I would benefit greatly? I sincerely would like to know what the benefits of not believing in God would be.

Heph,

What an excellent question, and you ask it in the spirit of genuine sincerity.

At this moment imagine you're a back seat passenger, careening down life's busy highway. Some people are perfectly fine in that position, preferring to allow someone else to drive, while they watch the scenery go by, trusting in the driving skills of the one behind the wheel. If there's a certain destination you have in mind, you'll usually make the request known. But there's no telling really if that's your destination or not.

This is all terribly frustrating to you now. Some of these destinations haven't met with your approval, but who are you to question? You've become more vocal about it, but others have expressed their disapproval at this distraction. The frustration sometimes builds where an inevitable backlash occurs, and the other passengers in the vehicle feel your increasing anger like a laser beam burning on them.

Some people it seems aren't made to be passengers.

Your anger is misplaced, IMO. Order the driver to stop at a wide spot in the road. Open the doors and demand everyone get out. Slide behind the wheel, put it in drive, and for a brief moment pause.

The next breath you take will be the freshest and freest you will ever experience.

The exhilaration will be so great you won't even hear the muttering complaints of the stranded passengers, who are not even worthy of a glance in the rear view mirror. The vehicle, now empty of all the excess baggage, responds effortlessly to the slightest touch of your foot on the accelerator, easily threading its way through any lane you so choose. This is an inestimable benefit, to be in full control.

It's also a benefit to lose the numerous unseen spirits which haunt a typical Christian's world. You'll notice there is no evil bugaboo under your bed or in your closet at night. All the angels and demons who were fighting for your soul vanish. Grandma is no longer looking through a crack in the floor of heaven. The shackles are removed of the thoughts of countless voyeurs spying and recording your every thought and move.

Events in your life gain new significance. Normal everyday events. You begin to live in the moment and you find that especially rewarding. Friendships take on new relevance when an unnecessary layer is stripped away, and the relationship is allowed to focus on the here and now, the what is.

You begin to realize your conversations with the previous driver were all one way.

You also find new responsibilities come before you. The moral packet handed to you at the church door needs a thorough examination. Wrong turns must be assigned fault, and where that lies is obvious. The "fear" of which you currently speak about will be the fear of not meeting your own expectations, and no one else's.

But like I said, not all people care to be drivers. Frank and Chumly have served you some great advice and have given it with the greatest good will, and I offer you best wishes for your search. The keys to your sleek automobile are in reach.

Regards,

Tycoon
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 08:02 am
Yeah, Heph - it's like you'll be your own god. Who could resist an offer like that? Who?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 08:18 am
Gawsh. did someone say moral license?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:22 am
Frank Apisa wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
So... Frank, Ty, tell me how I would benefit greatly? I sincerely would like to know what the benefits of not believing in God would be.

Heph...

...well, let me first acknowledge that there are benefits to "believing in" gods.

There is comfort derived from supposing there is a god looking over you...that there is always "someone" to whom you can "turn for help." In a sense...believing in god is much like always having a loving parent available...always ready to listen and, after a fashion, help in times of stress.

That having been said, however...there is an analogy to the old saying: Give a man a fish and he eats for a day; teach him to fish, and he can eat for the rest of his life.

There is at least the possibility that every time you've ever asked your god for help...you have been doing nothing more than talking to yourself.

On those occasions when your god answered with help and the problem was handled satisfactorily...there is the possibility that you simply sucked it up on your own...and dealt with whatever it is you asked help to handle.

And on those occasions when your god withheld help and you rationalized it by saying that your god sometimes says "yes" and sometimes says "no" (for good reason, of course)...

...and the problem became torture...didn't go away...got worse...

...there is the possibility that you simply let yourself down...that you didn't get sufficient mileage out of what you have to offer yourself.

I don't know if there is a god...and I don't know (if there is one) that the god is the kind of god that would get involved with the day to day tribulations of humans. And if there is such a god...I don't know that "believing in it" would be one of the criteria the god would require for lending a hand.

My guess is that you don't know either.

To simply guess there is and to give that god credit (and sometime hidden blame) for what happens in your life...makes you, in my opinon, less a full person.

NOT BELIEVING IN GOD...to directly answer your question...eliminates this area of your life. It allows you to give yourself credit when credit is due (nothing like a well-deserved self-administered atta girl)...and allows you to see when you've screwed up so you can make the adjustments that will ease (or avoid entirely) later screw-ups.

Whether he was being sarcastic or not, Snood said it plainly: You'd be captain of your boat; master of your destiny.

And as Chumly mentioned: You'd be relieved of an unnecessary (perhaps unwarranted) set of obligations that you really don't need in your life.

We'll talk about this more, because your question is an excellent one. I want to reflect on it a bit more. Just came across it after going out for dinner.

Probably more tomorrow on this.

I was going to respond to this sooner but I was on a tangent last night. I'm done now. It amazes me at the anger that pops up inside of me sometimes. Never-the-less I appreciate the sincere responses here. I am gaining a new perspective from this. Please don't misunderstand me though. My feet are firmly planted in what I believe. I have lived on boths sides of the fence, so to speak. I remember what it was like to be on that side. Of course there were no benefits to it during my time there. Which is why I want to know how you believe it benefits yourself to not believe in God. However, nothing you say here will be used against you in future conversations by me. I just want to understand. I hope that's ok.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:33 am
hephzibah wrote:
I was going to respond to this sooner but I was on a tangent last night. I'm done now. It amazes me at the anger that pops up inside of me sometimes. Never-the-less I appreciate the sincere responses here. I am gaining a new perspective from this. Please don't misunderstand me though. My feet are firmly planted in what I believe. I have lived on boths sides of the fence, so to speak. I remember what it was like to be on that side. Of course there were no benefits to it during my time there. Which is why I want to know how you believe it benefits yourself to not believe in God. However, nothing you say here will be used against you in future conversations by me. I just want to understand. I hope that's ok.

It definitely is okay. I appreciate the opportunity to talk to you about these things.

I want to make one comment here that someone else (not sure who) alluded to...and which is important to why some of us go through the bother of discussing these issues with theists...and why we effort to persuade them that our take on the matter is well worth consideration.

Besides the individual "benefits or non-benefits" on the issue...there is the aggregate impact on civilization of "belief systems."

I, personally, want to wean as many people as possible from religion...and "belief systems" outside of religion...because I see both to be having a negative net impact on civilization, humanity, and the human evolution. It is my opinion that we humans will never realize our full potential until we divest ourselves of superstitions...including (especially including) the superstitions some refer to as religion and religious beliefs.

I am NOT saying that if religion and religious beliefs were to disappear tomorrow that the world would be a perfect place...but I am suggesting that it might well be much, much, much better place.

I'll leave that thesis as is for now...and listen to what others have to offer. I'll get back to this with some refinement after doing so.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:58 am
tycoon wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Heph,

What an excellent question, and you ask it in the spirit of genuine sincerity.

At this moment imagine you're a back seat passenger, careening down life's busy highway. Some people are perfectly fine in that position, preferring to allow someone else to drive, while they watch the scenery go by, trusting in the driving skills of the one behind the wheel. If there's a certain destination you have in mind, you'll usually make the request known. But there's no telling really if that's your destination or not.

This is all terribly frustrating to you now. Some of these destinations haven't met with your approval, but who are you to question? You've become more vocal about it, but others have expressed their disapproval at this distraction. The frustration sometimes builds where an inevitable backlash occurs, and the other passengers in the vehicle feel your increasing anger like a laser beam burning on them.

Some people it seems aren't made to be passengers.

Your anger is misplaced, IMO. Order the driver to stop at a wide spot in the road. Open the doors and demand everyone get out. Slide behind the wheel, put it in drive, and for a brief moment pause.

The next breath you take will be the freshest and freest you will ever experience.

The exhilaration will be so great you won't even hear the muttering complaints of the stranded passengers, who are not even worthy of a glance in the rear view mirror. The vehicle, now empty of all the excess baggage, responds effortlessly to the slightest touch of your foot on the accelerator, easily threading its way through any lane you so choose. This is an inestimable benefit, to be in full control.

It's also a benefit to lose the numerous unseen spirits which haunt a typical Christian's world. You'll notice there is no evil bugaboo under your bed or in your closet at night. All the angels and demons who were fighting for your soul vanish. Grandma is no longer looking through a crack in the floor of heaven. The shackles are removed of the thoughts of countless voyeurs spying and recording your every thought and move.

Events in your life gain new significance. Normal everyday events. You begin to live in the moment and you find that especially rewarding. Friendships take on new relevance when an unnecessary layer is stripped away, and the relationship is allowed to focus on the here and now, the what is.

You begin to realize your conversations with the previous driver were all one way.

You also find new responsibilities come before you. The moral packet handed to you at the church door needs a thorough examination. Wrong turns must be assigned fault, and where that lies is obvious. The "fear" of which you currently speak about will be the fear of not meeting your own expectations, and no one else's.

But like I said, not all people care to be drivers. Frank and Chumly have served you some great advice and have given it with the greatest good will, and I offer you best wishes for your search. The keys to your sleek automobile are in reach.

Regards,

Tycoon

Tycoon, I think I understand something now about why free will is so hard to believe. Correct me if I'm wrong. But looking at it from the perspective I see here, it's not really "free" will, the freedom part of it is implied. Correct?

My anger is a passing thing really, and I don't think it's for the reasons you might think it is. I do get aggravated at "christianity" and I rarely, until now, have ever said anything about it. I think the reason it's so aggravating to me is that "christianity" is in the spotlight a lot. I have my beliefs about God, and about what is right and wrong. That doesn't necessarily mean I'm right about it though. It could be purely my own response to different things "christians" have done to hurt me. *shrugs* However, this is something that has been bugging me for years. More than just what I said last night. I had to make myself stop because I don't see brow beating people as doing much good either. LOL

There is one thing I can't get out of my mind lately. If there is anyone would care to take this on I would appreciate some insight other than my own. It seems to me the ones that caught the most flack from Jesus were the "religious" people. Those lovely pharisee's who thought they were all that, a bag of chips, and a soda too. Other than that the only rebuking I saw was: entire cities for not repenting, demons, sickness, physical things like the wind and waves. I think that says something pretty loud and clear. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Ok, now Frank, something I forgot to respond to in your last post was the thing about giving yourself credit where credit is due. I do realize that there are choices I made along the way that got me where I am. I had to make those choices because no one was going to make them for me. God included. I am proud of myself for getting to where I am today, and I'm not ashamed to say that. I had one helluva uphill battle almost all the way here. I guess the place God comes into this for me is that He showed me the right choices to make. Gave me options I didn't see before. And well, helped me believe in myself, that I could make the right choices, by believing in me first.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:02 am
snood wrote:
Yeah, Heph - it's like you'll be your own god. Who could resist an offer like that? Who?

LOL
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:04 am
neologist wrote:
Gawsh. did someone say moral license?

Hmmm that sounds vaguely familiar neo... who could it have been? LOL
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:07 am
hephzibah wrote:
Well Mr. Chumly sir, first of all let me recall to your memory that I said: "It has done ME no harm. It has only done ME good."

Or, it has prevented you from having the self esteem you might have if you acknowledge that perhaps your accomplishments were of your own doing.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:08 am
Jason Proudmoore wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Jason, you have got to be one the most friggin hard headed dudes I've ever met. GOOD GOD!

I know.
Gotta love me, right? :wink:

And can't you tell that I'm all-loving, too.

hephzibah wrote:
Just answer the stinkin question. Unless of course you don't have an answer.

You're right. I probably don't know an answer to this question…Rolling Eyes

hephzibah wrote:
I think we all know and are crystal clear on the fact that your answer and my answer could be quite different.

That's why I asked you the question in the first place, sweetheart. I wanted to know your take on this.

hephzibah wrote:
I want to know what your answer is. I know what mine is.

I know what my answer is too…but have you heard the phrase "ladies first"? Or are you one of those feminists?

hephzibah wrote:
So just answer the stinkin question you butthead.

Not with this attitude of yours, I won't.

hephzibah wrote:
Prove to me you have a brain too. Very Happy

Who the hell told you I have a brain? Have you seen any evidece of such thing?

(Do you have a personal vendetta with me, love?)

Jason I do hope that if you decide you do have an answer to the question you would be willing to share it here. While most of my response to you last night was intended in humor, I really would like to hear your perspective on this.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:09 am
Uh oh. Would that involve original thought?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:21 am
J_B wrote:
hephzibah wrote:

Or, it has prevented you from having the self esteem you might have if you acknowledge that perhaps your accomplishments were of your own doing.

I don't know about that, honestly speaking. I was a pretty confident person until recently. The personal things I am going through has shot about 100 holes in my self esteem. It has caused me to question things I never questioned before. It has caused me to question myself. My judgement. My motives. My ideals. As hard as I try not to hear it, some of the things that were said to me keep making rounds in my head. I knew who I was. I knew what I wanted. I knew which direction I was going. Now I don't. Now I sit and I wonder about a lot of things. The biggest question of all that makes it's way into my head every day is, "Who am I?".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 10:28 am
Now probably isn't the best time to be asking that, heph. I'm not sure introspection is all that helpful when your life is upside-down from what you thought it would be. Having your feet on the ground is a better time to think about what's in your head and your heart than when your struggling to figure out what your next move is going to be.

I don't think that faith is a bad thing, I just think that it can become a crutch for taking responsibility for ourselves. Putting our actions in the hands of a god and calling it "God's will" allows one to duck responsibility for their actions. I'm speaking in a general sense and not to you specifically, heph, but I do think that a lot of personal responsibility goes out the window when an abundance of faith comes into the picture.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 11:13 am
Maybe not JB maybe not. I'm just really sensitive right now is all. The silliest things can set me off at times. I do question a lot of things. I don't think questioning is really all to bad. I think how I feel is pretty normal under the circumstances. However, there is one certainty in all of this. Life will go on. Some way, some how, it will all work out and I'll end up where ever it is I end up. I'm not afraid. Just frustrated as heck sometimes. Not getting answers to things as fast as I'd like. Not understanding so many things about all this. That's just life though. If we knew all the answers we'd never have anything to gain out of the things that happen in our life. Ya know?

Edit: You know I'm not sorry you made that statement. I needed to see that. I didn't see what was going on inside of me fully until I typed out that response. So thank you. It was indeed time for that.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 06:02 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
I want to make one comment here that someone else (not sure who) alluded to...and which is important to why some of us go through the bother of discussing these issues with theists...and why we effort to persuade them that our take on the matter is well worth consideration.

Besides the individual "benefits or non-benefits" on the issue...there is the aggregate impact on civilization of "belief systems."
That be my reference to organized religion's potential net overall harm.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 07:38 pm
Well, there was a proposal sent before the United Nations to ban the practice of religion.
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1315471#1315471
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 09:24 pm
Chumly wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
I am aware of the "ME" part. You might want to read the last bit of my post which was to your point, I guess you missed it. Most of my post was basically a preamble to the last bit which contains the "ME" thought experiment.
neologist wrote:
Ya gotta have the right perspective! Laughing
Good humors!

Look Chumly. I owe you an apology. I can't remember what was said or when, but I am very short with you because you did or said something to tick me off awhile ago. You can come off as being arrogant sometimes in your posts and I have a hard time with that. I'm sorry if I've misunderstood you. I know I haven't been very fair or kind to you. I did read your whole post. The rest of my response was in response to what you had said. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
0 Replies