Who's booty you kissing?

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:16 am
First if all, thank you for starting this thread, Heph.

You did an excellent job of summarizing your personal situation...and a excellent job of looking at and speculating about other situations.

I disagree with some of what you said. And so that we have somewhere to start our discussion (best to take these things in bite sized bits), I'll comment on one of those disagreements...and perhaps we can kick that around for a bit.

You mentioned:
Quote:
Superstitious fear of a boogyman, as Frank so candidly put it. If God exists and is truly "love" as the bible say's He is,[/b] why would He then demand for me to instill fear in the hearts of others by saying "Turn or burn"?

If one truly reads what the Bible has to say about the god it describes...I wonder how anyone can come away thinking of the god as a "loving" god. I realize that there are hundreds of pages of people talking about how they see the god as loving...and talking about "how much they love" the god in return...

...but to be honest with you, the first five books of the Bible...where the god is on the scene and doing the things it does and saying the things it says...

...describe a god that is jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, and barbaric.

And it is not an accident that the god is that way...because any reasonable guess would conclude that the god was invented to display all those disgusting traits purposefully and transparently....because it is reasonable to guess that the god was invented to protect the people who invented it from the jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, barbaric gods of their enemies.

The god is not even likeable...let alone loveable. The only reasonable, sane reaction to the god would be abject terror...and pretence at love, affection, admiration, adoration and veneration.

If the god you are talking about, Heph, is the god of the Bible...the god Jesus worshipped...

...to consider it to be "a god of love" is so far-fetched as to be preposterous.

Add to all that the Christian ingredients of the god being able to determine "life everlasting" "salvation" "an eternity of bliss"...or "an eternity of denial of those things" and perhaps even "eternal punishment"...

...and the words, "I do not fear god" become almost laughable.

Let's discuss this aspect before we proceed further, Heph. Looking forward to your take on this...and the take of others participating.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 12:33 pm
wandeljw wrote:
MA and hephzibah,

I forgive you.

(frank may not forgive me, however)

Thank you wandel, I appreciate that. Smile

Quote:
whos butt am I kissing?

Well..im wiccan and we have alot of god/desses

i gots me a bunch'a buns to kiss .. every day. Laughing

LOL shewolf, you must use a lot of chapstick huh?
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:12 pm
Still trying to figure out what Wandel thinks I won;t forgive him for???

Wandel is one of my favorites here...and I seldom see anything in his words that cause me to disagree appreciably.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:14 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Quote:
whos butt am I kissing?

Sorta like...a lot of these folks must use a lot of PreparationH...boxcars of it.

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:34 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
Still trying to figure out what Wandel thinks I won;t forgive him for???

Wandel is one of my favorites here...and I seldom see anything in his words that cause me to disagree appreciably.

Never mind, Frank. (I tend to be a wimp sometimes.)

Have you ever wondered what happened to Preparations A thru G?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:44 pm
I love it when no one posts right behind me, because I have the option of changing my mind about my original thoughts. I decided that I'm just going to throw a few things out there and see what happens here.

Frank said:

Quote:
First if all, thank you for starting this thread, Heph.

You did an excellent job of summarizing your personal situation...and a excellent job of looking at and speculating about other situations.

I disagree with some of what you said. And so that we have somewhere to start our discussion (best to take these things in bite sized bits), I'll comment on one of those disagreements...and perhaps we can kick that around for a bit.

Thank you. I'm not surprise that you disagree. When people first started talking about you, I looked you up to kind of get a general idea what you are about. I find you quite intriguing and really want to understand your perspective. So here goes nothing...

Quote:
If one truly reads what the Bible has to say about the god it describes...I wonder how anyone can come away thinking of the god as a "loving" god. I realize that there are hundreds of pages of people talking about how they see the god as loving...and talking about "how much they love" the god in return...

...but to be honest with you, the first five books of the Bible...where the god is on the scene and doing the things it does and saying the things it says...

...describe a god that is jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, and barbaric.

Well, if you are talking about the God that sent His people into various places to overtake them, kill them, meaning everyone man woman and child, plunder their goods, and so forth, then yes, I can see why He would be seen as barbaric, unforgiving, jealous, all that. I suppose us americans ought to take a good look in the mirror. It seems to me there have been many "innocents" killed at our own hands. Yet here we sit on our high seat, saying, "HOW DARE GOD PERMIT SUCH A THING!" While many of us, not all by any means, cheer, shout, and jump up for joy as our bombs explode in another country killing, maiming, and destroying innocent people.

Seems a little bit hypocritical to me. *shrugs*

My time is running short here. So I'll leave you with this thought:

This God that you describe as jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, and barbaric, had a purpose for everything that happened. Everything that was done. Everything that was said. If you would like to show me specific examples of God behaving this way I would be happy to look at it with you. I think it might make things a little easier to understand if we actually look at these references you are talking about.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 01:48 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:
hephzibah wrote:
Quote:
whos butt am I kissing?

Sorta like...a lot of these folks must use a lot of PreparationH...boxcars of it.

Twisted Evil

LOL!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 02:33 pm
bookmark
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:25 pm
hephzibah wrote:
Well, if you are talking about the God that sent His people into various places to overtake them, kill them, meaning everyone man woman and child, plunder their goods, and so forth, then yes, I can see why He would be seen as barbaric, unforgiving, jealous, all that.

Is there another one??? That is the only one I have to work with.

Quote:
This God that you describe as jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, and barbaric, had a purpose for everything that happened.

We had a purpose in dropping an atomic bomb in the middle of a city filled with men, women, children, and various other animals.

Having a purpose does not excuse anything...and having whatever "purposes" you plan to offer for this god is not going to change the fact that the god is jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, and barbaric.

But we can certainly discuss it.

Quote:
Everything that was done. Everything that was said.

You see what you are saying here, Heph, is that no matter how disgusting the things done by this god...you are going to excuse it. You are going to attempt to rationalize it.

We are going to do battle (I hope "friendly" battle) as you attempt that. It will be interesting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

Quote:
If you would like to show me specific examples of God behaving this way I would be happy to look at it with you. I think it might make things a little easier to understand if we actually look at these references you are talking about.

Sure.

And why not start at the beginning. (Before I do...keep this in mind. If you are going to dismiss any of the things I present as "allegory"...be prepared to discuss what the "allegory" is trying to teach.)

In Genesis...the god places Adam and Eve...two innocents...into a garden which has, for no other purpose than to tempt them, a tree in its center whose fruit they are forbidden to eat. The tree is referred to as "the tree of the knowledge of good and evil." If they eat of the fruit of this tree, they will gain the knowledge of good and evil...and this is what the god is attempting to prevent them from obtaining.

The god, for no good reason, allows the greatest Tempter of all history to be in the garden with the two. The Tempter, as was its wont, tempts them to eat of the fruit.

Mind you...at the point where they are facing an unneeded temptation...and being egged on by this great Tempter...the are completely and totally oblivious as to what it means to be good or evil. They have absolutely no idea that disobedience, for instance, is bad or evil....and obedience is good or moral.

And, as any five year old could have told the god...they succumb to temptation and eat the fruit....and learn what good and evil is.

In effect, they could not commit sin...or disobedience...or anything bad or evil...

...because all knowledge of such things had been denied them BY THE GOD.

But they did what they did...one small infraction...under the influence of the greatest Tempter of all time...one tiny bit of disobedience that they did not even understand as disobedience or bad or evil...

...and what does the god do?

The god punishes them by throwing the book...and the rest of the Library at them. They lose immortality...the gain pain...and a host of other stuff.

And the god then punishes ALL THE REST OF HUMANITY FOR ALL THE REST OF ETERNITY...for this act.

Talk to me about this, Heph.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:40 pm
Okay everyone, this is where we all go pop some popcorn, find a comfy seat and sit back and watch.

Frank, good luck. It may take Heph a bit to get back to you because she is at work.

Heph, I'm praying for you. I'd pray for Frank too but I'm not sure he'd want me to.

Okay, I'm getting my popcorn now.
http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Food_and_Drinks/Salted_Snacks/Popcorn_2.gif
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 03:49 pm
(ppst)
im glad to see you posting again Frank.
Im usually a silent lurker when you are posting..

i miss my frank digests.. HA
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:06 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
(ppst)
im glad to see you posting again Frank.
Im usually a silent lurker when you are posting..

i miss my frank digests.. HA

Hey, Wolf...good to see ya.

I'll try to keep you entertained.

This is a very interesting subject.
0 Replies

Ashers

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:29 pm
I could really do getting a fix on the very real will & want of people to worship, revere or stand in awe of the God depicted in the Bible at times.

So, I have a question. In what way does (if at all?) or should the relationship between parent and infant differ from that of Man and God? Is there even a valid comparison for some?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:34 pm
Hi Ashers,

Well, if you don't mind my answering I will.

I definitely see a comparison there. He's the Father and I'm the child. I think children have a reverent awe (fear) of their parents. Unfortunately, for some it's a real fear due to abuse. But, sticking to your analogy, I think the comparison is pretty right on.

We all want to please our parents and not disappoint them. Seems the same to me.
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:41 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Hi Ashers,

Well, if you don't mind my answering I will.

I definitely see a comparison there. He's the Father and I'm the child. I think children have a reverent awe (fear) of their parents. Unfortunately, for some it's a real fear due to abuse. But, sticking to your analogy, I think the comparison is pretty right on.

We all want to please our parents and not disappoint them. Seems the same to me.

And then the father goes and punishes the child for all eternity; sends him/her to be burned in Hell until the end of time. Yeah, sureĀ…He is the ideal father.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 05:45 pm
Jason,

Now, I just sent you to your room in the Abortion thread! Must I do the same in this one? LOL Laughing

Really, I think this would be a good topic for another thread, don't you? Let's not derail Heph's and Frank's discussion, ok?

You are soooooooooooo cute! Laughing
0 Replies

Jason Proudmoore

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 06:03 pm
Momma Angel wrote:
Jason,

Now, I just sent you to your room in the Abortion thread! Must I do the same in this one? LOL Laughing

But this is my room, MA. Are you getting those headaches again?

Momma Angel wrote:
Really, I think this would be a good topic for another thread, don't you?

Only if we have nothing educational to contrubute.

Momma Angel wrote:
Let's not derail Heph's and Frank's discussion, ok?

Ok, I just couldn't contain myself. Sorry.

Momma Angel wrote:
You are soooooooooooo cute! Laughing

Where do you think I got my cuteness from? :wink:
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 06:23 pm
Jason,

I think you're pretty cool. We may not agree on some pretty big issues but the fact that we can communicate effectively and joke around and have some fun says so much about you. Very nice things.

Ok, Heph gets off work about 10:30 I think. I know she will be happy to get to answering Frank!

Ok, intermission is over!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 08:00 pm
On with the show. http://www.animationlibrary.com/Animation11/Food_and_Drinks/Salted_Snacks/Popcorn_2.gif
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 10:35 pm
Frank stated:

Quote:
We had a purpose in dropping an atomic bomb in the middle of a city filled with men, women, children, and various other animals.

Having a purpose does not excuse anything...and having whatever "purposes" you plan to offer for this god is not going to change the fact that the god is jealous, quick tempered, slow to forgive, unreasonable in expectations, duplicitous, vengeful, retributive, mean-spirited, revenge driven, unnecessarily tyrannical, incredibly petty, murderous, and barbaric.

But we can certainly discuss it.

Ahem... excuse me while I clear my throat from the words you are putting in my mouth...

Ahem...

I'm thinking here... I don't remember having said anything about excuses at any point thus far... moving on though...

Quote:
You see what you are saying here, Heph, is that no matter how disgusting the things done by this god...you are going to excuse it. You are going to attempt to rationalize it.

We are going to do battle (I hope "friendly" battle) as you attempt that. It will be interesting. I hope you enjoy it as much as I will.

Ahem... Ahem...

I find it interesting that you have so quickly decided my stance on all this. Now, if that is truly what you have decided in your mind about me already, well I don't know how fair of a fight this will be. Because you see when you come at things from a perception of thinking you already know where someone is coming from it is easy to try to misconstrue what they say to fit the scenario you have of them in your mind. Just a thought...

My motive is simple. It is to take an honest look at the accusations people so quickly throw around about God to see if there really is any validity to them. I'm sure in the minds of many there is, however to me I have seen no validity to any of it and have not found yet one person willing to take this on. If I'm wrong I'm wrong. I think most everyone here can attest to the fact that I'm not one who will run and hide when it looks like I'm wrong. I'll admit it and go on. The challenge is... LOL... getting me to see I'm wrong. I'm not really prideful... well I hope not anyway, but I am very strong in what I believe.

I won't shove anything down your throat, beat you over the head with my bible, condemn you if we just can't come to terms with something, but I will present my perception for what it is. Take it, leave it, do whatever you want. I am willing to do battle on this. I am looking forward to it actually. However you must know before we go too far "friendly battle" is the only kind of battle I do. You can trash my arguments all you want, make fun of them, laugh at them, whatever. But if you really want to have an honest discussion with me please do not trash my person. I won't do that to you, I expect the same respect in return.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying I won't ever say anything sarcastic, harsh, or rude. I am human after all. And a little sarcastic humor can make things interesting and fun. However I won't attack who you are as a person just because I don't agree with your argument. I think that is wrong and very disrespectful. Well, that's all I have time for right now. I'm leaving work soon and will try to tackle the rest of this when I get home.
0 Replies