Name The Last DVD(s) You Bought

barrythemod

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 04:36 am
A couple dropped through my letter-box today.Both replacements for films previously borrowed by "friends" and never returned Mad

Gone With The Wind,2 discs........polished picture and 5.1 sound.
Vanishing Point.....both US and UK versions.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 05:18 am
king kong
corpse bride
akira (umd for my psp)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:53 am
If they keep restoring GWTW, the next time I'm afraid I'm going to see that they have cropped Clark Gable's ears.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 1 Apr, 2006 08:54 am
BTW, the technology is availabe and I can see them making films like GWTW wide screen by digitally "filling in" the left and right hand side of the image.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 11:45 am
This raises one of the questions I ask most......Just because you can,should you?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 2 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm
I don't know -- the colorization was sure short-lived. People waited for a remake in color. Thank gawd, Orson Welles put a clause into his contract that nobody could fiddle with "Citizen Kane," but the studio somehow got him to make "The Magnificent Ambersons" and none other than Robert Wise helped butcher that film. The original prints are lost.

I saw a top-and-bottom cropped wide screen version of GWTW and they never did that again! I'm not sure on a 16:9 wide screen it wouldn't work -- it would be small extensions of set of rooms and outside scenery that probably nobody would notice. I'm sure they will likely never do it but it's a thought.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 6 Apr, 2006 12:40 am
Good old Mr. Postman dropped 6 through my letter-box yesterday Very Happy

Treminator 2 Extreme Edition 3 disc Region 2 set from Japan.Don't ask how much it cost.It's the quality of presentation you pay for.Pure class!

The Promise...Region All...a film from China that others seem to love or hate.A bit like the reaction over V For Victory.

The Last Starfighter...Region 1...I can't remember the last time I saw this.Must have been on good old VHS.Looking forward to renewing fond memories.

Serenity...Region 1.....one that I really should heve seen in the cinema.

The Triangle...Region 1...a US mini-series that sounded right up my street.

Mission Impossible Special Collectors Edition...Region 1....contains a free ticket to see M.I.3 at selected cinemas in Canada.Of no use to me so does anybody want it?Ticket expires May 14.

Good job I'm off work next week because my list of "to-see" DVD's is growing fast.9 at present :wink:
0 Replies

Lucien

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 04:55 pm
The Matrix Trilogy Collector's Edition Box Set
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 06:49 pm
MI3 -- not expecting much here. Didn't think that MI I and II were that good. They did regenerate Tom Cruise's career but that's about it.

As for the Matrix trilogy -- it would be a waste of money for me to add that to my collection. The LOTR extended editions are a welcome addition.
0 Replies

HickoryStick

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:07 pm
Dominion - Prequil to the Exorcist
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 9 Apr, 2006 08:28 pm
_Kung Fu Hustle_ Has anyone seen this? I didn't expect much when I walked into the theater, but I loved it.
0 Replies

happytaffy

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:09 am
Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:22 am
15th anniversary special edition of The Big Chill, and Guys and Dolls with Marlon Brando, Frank Sinatra and Stubby Kaye.
0 Replies

vinsan

Reply Mon 10 Apr, 2006 10:45 am
"Finding Nemo"

A Mind Blowing DVD to watch on Plasm \ LCD Home Theatre. Very Happy
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:26 am
vinsan wrote:
"Finding Nemo"

A Mind Blowing DVD to watch on Plasm \ LCD Home Theatre. Very Happy

^
I second that emotion Cool

My last DVD was/is Night Watch a Russian film about vampires,and loadsa scarey things :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 25 Apr, 2006 02:40 am
rosborne979 wrote:
_Kung Fu Hustle_ Has anyone seen this? I didn't expect much when I walked into the theater, but I loved it.

Absolutely loved it.Its like Chinese mythology come to life.Definately gona treat myself to a copy.

Last DVD i bought was Alien Resurection.
0 Replies

Dramaqueen

Reply Wed 26 Apr, 2006 06:38 am
Walk The Line
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 01:58 am
Bought on the street in Bangkok (in alphabetical order; some were VCDs, which were even cheaper):

Amélie
The Brothers Grimm
Canadian Bacon
Cria Cuervos
Das Boot
Frankenfish
George and the Dragon
Ginger snaps 3
Une Longue Dimanche de Fiancailles
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 05:55 am
barrythemod wrote:
My last DVD was/is Night Watch a Russian film about vampires,and loadsa scarey things :wink:

I heard Night Watch was good, but I haven't seen it yet.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 27 Apr, 2006 06:34 am
I seldom buy DVDs anymore. We have so many, and so many VHS tapes, so we now have Blockbuster Online, and get to see films w/o cluttering the house any more.

Anyhow, we bought Brokeback Mountain and Baraka last week. Baraka is an unusual film, with no story and no dialogue. The beauty is in the filming. I was disappointed, though. The first time that I saw it, I was blown away. This time, the image on the DVD did not seem as sharp as the first time that I saw the copy from Blockbuster.

I had the same experience with Koyanisquaatsi. The first VHS tape was wonderful, the 2nd mediocre. When I bought it on DVD, the quality was much better.

I am curious though, as to whether there should be any differences from one copy of a DVD to another. I remember when we used to buy records, the closer that the recording was to the "master", the better the fidelity. I wonder if this holds true for DVDs?

Brokeback Mountain? I saw it before, and I know that I will want to see it again.
0 Replies