Name The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:44 pm
Blu-Ray Hi-Def DVD's coming up (curious that the HD format is being rather timid with their software):

May 23
- 50 First Dates (Comedy, Romance)
- Crash (Crime, Drama, Mystery)
- The Fifth Element (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Hitch (Comedy, Romance)
- House of Flying Daggers (Action, Adventure, Romance)
- A Knight's Tale (Action, Adventure, Comedy)
- The Last Waltz (Documentary, Music)
- Lord of War (Action, Drama, Thriller)
- The Punisher (Crime, Drama, Thriller)
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Action, Horror)
- Saw (Thriller)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- XXX (Action, Adventure, Thriller)

June 13
- The Devil's Rejects (Horror)
- Frank Herbert's Dune (Fantasy, Drama, Sci-Fi)
- Kung Fu Hustle (Action, Comedy)
- Legends of the Fall (Drama, Romance, Western)
- Reservoir Dogs (Crime, Drama, Thriller)
- RoboCop (Action, Crime, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Species (Action, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Stargate (Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi)
- Stealth (Action, Thriller)
- S.W.A.T. (Action, Crime)
- The Terminator (Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Total Recall (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Hi Def DVD's:

March 28
- Chronos (Drama, Horror)

April 18
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera (Drama, Musical)
- The Last Samurai (Action, Adventure, Drama, War)
- Million Dollar Baby (Drama)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 06:48 pm
The SONY Blu-ray players are here:

SONY BLU-RAY DVD PLAYER LINK

At about $1,000. for the player on a pre-order, you have to really be thirsty for the quality of hi-def to invest in it. Most films are actually not shot on hi-def film so the difference is almost hard to discern. "Cronos," incorrectly shown as "drama horror" I believe is the documentary which was shot on hi def film.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 03:57 am
rosborne979 wrote:
We saw _V for Vendetta_ last night. It was fantastic.

I saw this travesty of a film on Friday afternoon.What a crock.Three times I nearly walked out.

1. A mask can't act.
2. Natalie Portman can't act.Her abilities were questioned in the Star Wars series,this film proves it.
3. Do Americans really think all Brits walk around saying "bollocks"???????
4.We pronounce the handle of a machine as "leever" NOT lever!!!!
5. If you've seen the trailer,then you've seen the best bits.
6. One of the original authors REFUSED to put his name to this adaptation.

But this is my own humble opinion.I am prepared to see it again if anyone can give me a GOOD reason.Maybe they were trying to make an action version of 1984.In my mind,they failed dismally.Please,ONLY REPLY IF YOU'VE SEEN THIS FILM.

Looking at the reviews on IMDB,it seems that the folkes in the USA love this film but us Brits can't stand it.Add my name to that list.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 04:09 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Blu-Ray Hi-Def DVD's coming up (curious that the HD format is being rather timid with their software):

May 23
- 50 First Dates (Comedy, Romance)
- Crash (Crime, Drama, Mystery)
- The Fifth Element (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Hitch (Comedy, Romance)
- House of Flying Daggers (Action, Adventure, Romance)
- A Knight's Tale (Action, Adventure, Comedy)
- The Last Waltz (Documentary, Music)
- Lord of War (Action, Drama, Thriller)
- The Punisher (Crime, Drama, Thriller)
- Resident Evil: Apocalypse (Action, Horror)
- Saw (Thriller)
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- XXX (Action, Adventure, Thriller)

June 13
- The Devil's Rejects (Horror)
- Frank Herbert's Dune (Fantasy, Drama, Sci-Fi)
- Kung Fu Hustle (Action, Comedy)
- Legends of the Fall (Drama, Romance, Western)
- Reservoir Dogs (Crime, Drama, Thriller)
- RoboCop (Action, Crime, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Species (Action, Drama, Horror, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Stargate (Action, Adventure, Fantasy, Sci-Fi)
- Stealth (Action, Thriller)
- S.W.A.T. (Action, Crime)
- The Terminator (Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller)
- Total Recall (Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi, Thriller

Hi Def DVD's:

March 28
- Chronos (Drama, Horror)

April 18
- Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera (Drama, Musical)
- The Last Samurai (Action, Adventure, Drama, War)
- Million Dollar Baby (Drama)

Hey LW,if you posted this list as info,then thanks very much,but if you posted this list as the last DVD's you bought,I wanna know what job you do so you can afford a list like this :wink: Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 07:51 am
Ya can't buy those DVD's yet -- the release dates are shown. There's no price listed yet so I don't know how much the DVD's are listed at, but it's going to be a battle between the Blu-ray players and the HD players which will be also in the US soon and much cheaper. However, the quality of the Blu-ray is superior.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 10:50 am
barrythemod wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
We saw _V for Vendetta_ last night. It was fantastic.

I saw this travesty of a film on Friday afternoon.What a crock.Three times I nearly walked out.

Well, I loved it. Just goes to show how different people's appreciation of things can be.

barrythemod wrote:
1. A mask can't act.

I found it eerily effective and very memorable.

barrythemod wrote:
2. Natalie Portman can't act.

I thought she was great in this film.

barrythemod wrote:
3. Do Americans really think all Brits walk around saying "bollocks"???????

I never thought about it, nor does it matter to me very much. Even though the film was portrayed in Britain, I took it as a "generic" portrayal of a government gone bad. Perhaps you would have enjoyed the film more if you treated the setting as more of a philosophical generality, rather than a specific.

barrythemod wrote:
4.We pronounce the handle of a machine as "leever" NOT lever!!!!

I was too involved in the emotion of the scene to notice that.

barrythemod wrote:
5. If you've seen the trailer,then you've seen the best bits.

In my opinion, the "best bits" were not visual, although those were also very well done. The best bits were the subtle nuances of the characters connections and the messages implied about extreme conditions and extreme choices.

barrythemod wrote:
6. One of the original authors REFUSED to put his name to this adaptation.

I didn't read anything prior to seeing the film, so for me, it stands alone, no comparisons necessary.

barrythemod wrote:
But this is my own humble opinion.I am prepared to see it again if anyone can give me a GOOD reason.Maybe they were trying to make an action version of 1984.In my mind,they failed dismally.Please,ONLY REPLY IF YOU'VE SEEN THIS FILM.

If you decide to see it again, and I'm not suggesting you should, then you might try leaving expectations about the books behind, and also disassociate yourself from the "british" aspects of the film and focus on the philosophies of what the story implies.

Best Regards,
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 21 Mar, 2006 11:00 am
Ebert had the one issue about "the mask." The mouth needed to move.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:26 am
Mr. Postman has just delivered Crash.For me there is no star performance,the whole cast act their asses off,providing totally convincing characters that I could relate to.Tech stuff....If you want a DTS soundtrack you've got to get this DVD from Denmark :wink:
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Wed 22 Mar, 2006 05:26 am
Jack and Sarah.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 06:48 am
King Kong.......give your home theatre speakers a work-out by putting this disc into your player Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 26 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
Can't wait. Is is letterboxed?
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:02 am
Sure is,see HERE
I got the 2 disc Region 1 S.E. which is not yet included on this sites revues yet,but you can bet your last Dollar that an Ultra S.E. with DTS is on the cards.Maybe from Japan,fingers crossed Very Happy
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 05:09 am
Just out of interest SEE HERE
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:33 am
1.78:1 -- an odd Super Panavision ratio and really severe letterboxing if that's the presentation on the DVD. Most wide screen are now processed to fit a 16:9, loosing, of course, image information of the left and right.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 27 Mar, 2006 09:39 am
The US Region 1 Edition: Format: AC-3, Color, Dolby, Special Edition, Subtitled, Widescreen, NTSC
Region: Region 1 (U.S. and Canada only. Read more about DVD formats.)

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1
Rating:
Studio: Universal
DVD Release Date: March 28, 2006
Average Customer Review: based on 407 reviews. (Write a review.)
DVD Features:
Available Subtitles: English, Spanish, French
Available Audio Tracks: English (Dolby Digital 5.1)
The Volkswagen Toureg & King Kong
Wish You Were Here
Disc 2
Special Introduction by Peter Jackson
Post-Production Diaries: Director Peter Jackson takes you on an unforgettable journey revealing virtually every aspect of post-production with nearly three hours of exclusive behind the scenes footage.
Kong's New York, 1933 - 1930s New York comes alive in this fascinating piece that explores vaudeville, the skyscraper boom, the construction of the Empire State building and more.
Skull Island: A Natural History - Travel to treacherous Skull Island with Peter Jackson and his crew

They really don't tell one online what they've done to the Panavision image. I don't believe all theaters showed the Super Panavision version.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 01:34 am
Thats the puppy.I'm really not bothered if there are black bars.Would rather have them than lose any film image. Cool
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 28 Mar, 2006 08:46 am
They usually compromise and I didn't like what they did with "2001." There are just slivers of black bars on the top and bottom -- exactly what did that achieve except being annoying? I push the Zoom button to fill out the screen. You will still lose some of the left and right hand side even letterboxed with a Super Panavision image, less so with a Panavision image. There are not many theaters even in the OC who can screen full 2.65:1 Super Panavision. I saw "Titanic" and what is called Big Newport, the largest screen on the West Coast and it was really spectacular. The LOTR movies were letterboxed but there was still some image information lost on the left and right. Most new films are framed out so none of the action occurs beyond a 16:9 so it loses only some scenic material.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 30 Mar, 2006 01:52 am
Lightwizard wrote:
They usually compromise and I didn't like what they did with "2001." There are just slivers of black bars on the top and bottom -- exactly what did that achieve except being annoying? I push the Zoom button to fill out the screen.

I've read that a new Region 1 S.E. is gonna be released sometime this year.Let's hope that,this time,they get the aspect ratio right I.E. bigger black bars and more picture.My copy at present is the Region 1 Warner Brothers Stanley Kubrick Collection Remastered disc,the best so far.There is no way that I would EVER zoom in to lose the black bars,just to fill my screen.See Here
I live within a 15 minute drive from the two best cinemas in England,The Odeon and The Empire,both in Leicester Square,London and regard them as my "locals".I am used to seeing films as the director intended,in any aspect ratio,and will not settle for less when viewing at home,given the option :wink:
0 Replies

Kehoe

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:00 pm
The last dvd I bought was "Under The Tuscan Sun"
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 31 Mar, 2006 09:12 pm
I believe the "2001" I saw at the Cinerama theater was one of the few original Super Panavision prints as it now shows in the details on IMDb that it was filmed in 2.20:1 and Super Panavision is 2.65:1 and sometimes 2.75:1. The Hollywood Cinerama screen is curved and I remember the opening sequences with the primates had more visual information on the left and right side. That was a long time ago and I have since seen prints that are about 2.20:1. That's more than twice as wide as the image is high. 16:9 is, I believe, the old VistaVision ratio where they film was not anamorphic but run through the camera and projecter sideways, the same as IMAX cameras. I'm wondering if there were Super Panavision reels and if they've just been lost. It hasn't been uncommon to shoot a film in 70mm or 65mm in Super Panavision and crop the sides to produces the ratios that fit most theater screens. We may never again see the Super Panavision print of "2001." Copolla's "Dracula" was filmed in a standard 4:3 and the top and bottom was cropped for wide screen theaters!
0 Replies