Name The Last DVD(s) You Bought

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 02:10 pm
The Soderbergh "Solaris" I thought was almost comparable and it did appear on most top ten lists for that year.

Like Kubrick, Soderbergh is willing to give many different genres a shot and he's been pretty successful in doing it his own way. However, there's always going to be some who don't appreciate his way.
0 Replies

Paaskynen

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
Fair enough. I am some. I thought Soderberg's version included some totally unnecesary digressions from the original story that were clearly aimed at pleasing the mainstream audience expectations (such as the space station exploding in the end). I find Tarkovsky's digressions (the very lengthy intro to fool the Soviet censors) much more tolerable.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 11 Mar, 2006 04:01 pm
The exploding space station didn't please mainstream audiences -- "Solaris" bombed at the box office. I appreciate both versions although I find the first one rough going in sitting through.
0 Replies

mele42846

Reply Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:43 pm
The last DVD I bought? "American Pie" an outstanding film which has grossed over 200,000,000 world wide and has given people a new insight into bizarre sexual practices.
0 Replies

olidude171717

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 02:48 pm
The Most Recent DVD i Bought Was
28 Days Later
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 14 Mar, 2006 03:57 pm
Reminds me -- have do have to buy that one!
0 Replies

wishful

Reply Wed 15 Mar, 2006 11:58 pm
The last DVD I bought was Cool Hand Luke Smile
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 18 Mar, 2006 07:23 pm
falling down
last exile collection (anime)
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 12:52 am
The latest DVD to drop through my letterbox was Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire.Cracking dragons ;-)
0 Replies

olidude171717

Reply Sun 19 Mar, 2006 09:26 am
Well just today i bought these DVDS from HMV

Gone With The Wind(1939)
Heat(1995)
Once Upon A Time In America(1984)
Gladiator 3 Disc Special Edition(2000)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:19 am
Serenity.

Then I bought the entire Firefly series.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 07:51 am
How is "Serenity?" I missed it at the theaters because of work responsibilities but was thinking of including it on my NetFlix queue and also buying a copy as a gift for my brother-in-law who is a big sci-fi fan.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:16 am
Lightwizard wrote:
How is "Serenity?" I missed it at the theaters because of work responsibilities but was thinking of including it on my NetFlix queue and also buying a copy as a gift for my brother-in-law who is a big sci-fi fan.

Serenity was the best Sci-Fi of 2005 (in my opinion of course). The story is relatively simple, with space-western flare, but the characters are well portrayed, and it has style... it's just dripping with style. Smile Rent it and enjoy Smile

We saw _V for Vendetta_ last night. It was fantastic.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:23 am
I just might buy that one for myself based on your recommendation and the reviews by critics I respect.

I think I will take in "V for Vendetta" in the next few weeks.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:40 am
Serenity is a great flick. It's made it into the blacksmithn collection. Plenty of style and action, true, but the characters are just plain engaging and actually fun to watch. Two thumbs up!
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 08:59 am
I finally bought Gone With The Wind. I have never had the patience to sit through all four hours at once. Now, I will watch a half hour or fortyfive minutes at a time and enjoy it. The pieces I have seen are very good. The set of DVDs I got include information about the stars and how the special effects were accomplished.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:07 am
There are a few so-called classic films that I just don't have the stomach to sit through more than once, GWTW being one of them. Some nice cinematography, but I just wanted to slap the crap out of Scarlett...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:13 am
Selznick was literally a bulldozer making GWTW and it could be by accident that it turned out to be a great film, considering that Selznick changed directors and even the assertive Victor Fleming had to put up with him looking over his shoulder and controlling the production like a despot.
0 Replies

Olen

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:20 am
My main interest was the special effects. It is amazing how advanced they were in that era of movie making. Many of the scenes were put together with several shots. The ones with the big fires in the background were only the people with nothing else in the first shot.The blazes and sound effects were very skillfully fit in. And to think they didn't have the advantage of computer generated material.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 20 Mar, 2006 09:27 am
The burning of Atlanta should look good. They actually burned down the King Kong set wall for that scene. Half the LA fire department was on the set that day. There were crewmembers that barely escaped without injury. They did have blue screen and matte painting technology which, if you will but the DVD into your player of "2001" is all they also had (Douglas Trumbell is a genius, not to mention Kubrick's contribution). There is actually more art in the opening scenes of that film depicting the primates first find the monolith than the entire GWTW.
0 Replies