What is your favorite intellectual word?

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 04:16 am
Am planning to expand vocabulary.
so post here best word that makes you look sophisticated. With definition, obviously.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 7,488 • Replies: 31
No top replies

chris2a

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:12 am
commensurate (look it up)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:40 am
hmmmmm.....(no definition required) :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:45 am
Seriously, I'll have to think about this.

I don't think long cumbersome words equals sophistication.

Clarity is what I'd look for.
In that vein, if I was going to use a word that I feel the listener may not be familiar with, I'd try to inject it into the conversation so that its meaning is apparant in the context of the conversation.

Otherwise, you don't look intellectual/sophisticated, you look like a pompous poop head.

Good subject, I'll have to think of some of my favorite words.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:55 am
nabob

NOUN: An important, influential person: character, dignitary, eminence, leader, lion, notability, notable, personage. Informal : big-timer, heavyweight, somebody, someone, VIP. Slang : big shot, big wheel, bigwig, muckamuck. See IMPORTANT
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:03 am
Ms Tea is correct imo.

Where's Spendius when you need him?
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:06 am
Your vocabulary does not make you "sophisticated". It is the way you put your thoughts into words and how well you can make your ideas coherent to others.

The word "sophisticated" is based on the Greek word meaning "wisdom". So it might help you to look into the etymology (fr. Gk.) of each word you acquire in your expanding vocabulary. Your "sophistication" will evolve the better you understand the words you are using.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:09 am
Quote:
ex·ac·er·bate (ĭg-zăs'ər-bāt')
tr.v., -bat·ed, -bat·ing, -bates.
To increase the severity, violence, or bitterness of; aggravate: a speech that exacerbated racial tensions; a heavy rainfall that exacerbated the flood problems.

I find that I use it a lot in terms of disease...........The illness exacerbated. (got much, much worser! Laughing )
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:35 am
abysmal
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:57 am
Laughing
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:46 am
My favorite is banausic (Adj., meaning ordinary, mundane.)

Example: I find that architect's work to be boring, perhaps even banausic.

Another good one is corybantic, Adj., meaning frenzied. Comes from a noun, corybant, derived from a sect's emotional rites.

A fun word to use is carfuffle or kerfuffle, spelling depends on where you live. I had read the word when I lived in the UK but had never heard it used until a fishing guide in New Zealand dropped it into ordinary conversation. It is slang or colloquial for a dust-up or a controversy.

(Phoenix, I don't think you can use exacerbate in that way. It is a transitive verb. :wink: )
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:50 am
Kara wrote:
(Phoenix, I don't think you can use exacerbate in that way. It is a transitive verb. :wink: )

Since most people don't know what I am talking about, it really doesn't matter, does it! Laughing
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:53 am
Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 03:43 am
Quote:
Kara wrote:
(Phoenix, I don't think you can use exacerbate in that way. It is a transitive verb. )

Since most people don't know what I am talking about, it really doesn't matter, does it!

Well, if you use it when speaking to people who do know how what the word means and how it is correctly used (and there are more of them than you may think, including the whole medical profession) they will write you off as a pretentious-but-ignorant twit. If you save it for people who don't understand the word, they will just think you are a pretentious twit. If that really doesn't matter to you, carry right on!
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:09 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Kara wrote:

Since most people don't know what I am talking about, it really doesn't matter, does it! Laughing

You are exacerbating my rather considerable opposition to people who hold in abysmal contempt those whose semiology skills do not fit in their criteria... :wink:
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 05:48 am
fecundate
One entry found for fecundate.

Main Entry: fe·cun·date
Pronunciation: 'fe-k&n-"dAt, 'fE-
Function: transitive verb
Inflected Form(s): -dat·ed; -dat·ing
Etymology: Latin fecundatus, past participle of fecundare, from fecundus
1 : to make fecund
2 : IMPREGNATE
- fe·cun·da·tion /"fe-k&n-'dA-sh&n, "fE-/ noun
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 07:40 am
Now, there's a useful word, EB.
0 Replies

Questioner

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:01 am
I've always been partial to discombobulate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:04 am
Paradigm.

It's kind of the uber-intellectual word. I don't like it for that reason, although sometimes I can't think of anything else to use.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 3 Mar, 2006 10:12 am
Extirpate. Goes especially well with Circumlocution.
0 Replies