The Lame Duck Syndrome...

realjohnboy

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:09 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
My dilemma is getting through each day until then. I find that the little annoyances of my current job now seem huge compared to a week ago. I've been taking long lunches and leaving early.

I hope, LionTamerX, that you get the dream job you are hoping for.

I have 32 employees, the last time they all stood still long enough for me to count them, It is not a career job so I expect folks to leave. I don't know where the "two week notice" thing came from, but it is not rooted in any law. And my thinking is, as a manager of people, I don't want to have a, perhaps disgruntled employee hanging around for two weeks, taking long lunches and leaving early.
Sever the cord. Go. Of course if you don't get the new job...but you have already burned the bridges with the long lunches and leaving early. Go. Good luck to you. I hope to hear about the new job.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:11 pm
I love talking about books. I worked for two used and rare bookshops from '86 to 93' and was the happiest I have ever been in my life, work wise. The problem was they didn't pay well. A couple of years ago, the owner of one of the high end rare bookshops started needling me about getting back into it, but I dismissed him, remembering the low wages.
Last week, he approached me with an offer that seems to good to be true.
More on that later...

As for the black square... It's kind of like Pong. It's seems ridiculous today, but at the time it caused quite a stir.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
I worked at a used bookstore for about 4 years.

Loved it loved it loved it. Best thing ever. Pay sucked, but it was a great job. Can't imagine how great it would be with adequate pay.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:43 pm
RealJohnnyBoy wrote:
I don't know where the "two week notice" thing came from, but it is not rooted in any law.

I'm not sure about the either, Johnny, but I was a bit surprised while reading David Copperfield, that Peggoty mentioned to the young David that she had received a "two-week notice" from Miss Murdstone. Actually, I believe it was a "two-week warning" but this isn't the time or place for semantics.

But I was surprised to see that sort of thing in the early 1800's in England.

Where, then, did this two week notice thing originate?

Let's wait for sozobe's answer. She enjoys researching these sorts of things.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:45 pm
rjb,
I'm not disgruntled, just restless. I'm not burning any bridges If I can help it. I need to stick around to train my replacement, and make the transition easier for my fellow workers. I have worked like a dog to get my department running efficiently, and would hate to see it go down the tubes.

soz,
I know what you mean... I can't say too much about the new job yet for fear of jinxing it, but it looks like I might have stepped in a big old pile of luck.

gus,
What the hell is "David Copperfield" is that a book of some sort ? I seem to recall a marqee in Times Square promoting an art film "David Coppafeel",
is this what you are referring to ?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 11:40 am
realjohnboy wrote:
you have already burned the bridges with the long lunches and leaving early.

its a real good thing i don't work for you, realjohn.
i've been "burning bridges" at various jobs for the past 20 years.
(as a matter of fact, i'm 10 minutes past the end of my lunch "hour", still goofin' off...)
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:11 pm
Three days down...

Should hear about the new one tomorrow.

<donning lucky fez>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Mar, 2006 07:14 pm
<re-braiding hair and looking for a good luck hat>
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
LTX--

Three distlefinks are devoting the local luck your way.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 12:57 pm
Watching this thread intently...
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 02:00 pm
Hoping you get good news soon.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:13 pm
Ack... I got news, but not what I was hoping for. The person in the position I wanted has decided to stay on another year. I was informed that if I am still interested in the job next year , it's all mine whether or not the other person is still there. So basically, I got the job...In a years time. I wanted this so much... I'm pretty bummed.
On the good news side of things...I managed to parlay this situation into a promotion and raise at my current job, so there is a silver lining, but no rare books for now.

A year passes like nothing, right ?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:16 pm
poopity head wanting to stay there Evil or Very Mad

A year is nothin'. Nothin' in the great grand scheme of things.

poopity head Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

smog

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:18 pm
A lifetime passes like nothing. A year is even less than nothing. So basically, it's like you're already working at that other job and stuff. Yeah!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:42 pm
Like you'll spend about three months sleeping, and a coupla months eating and pooping, and two months commuting, and a month or two organizing your desk, and a month or two training your successor, and a month or two getting your hair cut and stuff like that, and then it turns out you're late for the first day of your new job because you ran out of time to get ready.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 06:49 pm
ehBeth,
You know me too well...

smog,
I like the way you think, I think.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 2 Mar, 2006 07:32 pm
Alas, alack & up and at 'em.

Hold your dominion.