The Lame Duck Syndrome...

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:36 pm
I find out in a couple of days if I get my dream job, if I do, I want to give my current employer at least two weeks notice. A month would be better, but I don't know if I can stand it. I have a great deal of repect for the owners of my company, and want to show them that respect, but today at work, all I could think about was the new situation. How do I stay focused on the day to day, and not get lost in the daydream ?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,718 • Replies: 36
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:42 pm
how long have you been there?

its been my experience that employers like to pile you up with work when you give notice, so 2 weeks is probably sufficient.

good luck -- hope you get it!
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:03 pm
I've been there for two years RP, I'm pretty much always piled up with work. My main problem is that it is a small company that has grown a great deal since I've been there, and I worry about them taking it personally.
I don't want to burn any bridges.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:09 pm
Two weeks is reasonable, though. I think if you work hard in those two weeks, you have no particular reason to stay an extra two. (As in, if that burns bridges, they're just being unreasonable IMO.)

(It sounds like congratulations are in order, meanwhile...?)
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:11 pm
<Keeping fingers crossed>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:12 pm
Fingers crossed here.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:17 pm
Osso,
<It's rare books>

Shhh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:19 pm
oooooh!

<crossed>
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 27 Feb, 2006 09:44 pm
Yep, crossed here too. Let us know!
0 Replies

chris2a

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:22 am
Be the best you can be right now. It does not matter where you work or who you work for. You give meaning and purpose to your job, it does not define you.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:29 am
chris2a,

thanx for verbalizing a vague concept i've always felt was true about what i do for a living...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 05:34 am
LionTamerX wrote:
<It's rare books>

Shhh.

Oh, best of good luck! That sounds wonderful!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:39 am
chris2a wrote:
Be the best you can be right now. It does not matter where you work or who you work for. You give meaning and purpose to your job, it does not define you.

Wonderful!

LT - I'm crossing things in hopes for you as well.

And two weeks is sufficient. If you can afford it you might negotiate a stating date for your new job that is more than two weeks out. If you give a two week notice and you won't be starting the new job for three or four weeks, you can help out the current company if they ask for it, or you can have a bit of a break between jobs. Good luck!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:56 am
2 weeks is definitely enough. I gave 2 weeks at the last insurance company I worked at. Trained my successor by day and then, by night, was trained in my new job (this was back in '00). Exhausting. Good that it wasn't for any longer than it was.

Anyway, best to you, good luck and all that but I know you don't need luck. And chris2a, beautifully said. Smile
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:48 am
Two weeks notice is standard, as far as I know. I've been asked to stay and train the replacement; as I didn't have another job lined up I agreed and it took them a month to hire somebody...

OTOH, around here when you give two weeks notice you're cordially invited to clean out your desk and leave, so you had better say your goodbyes to coworkers before you tell the boss...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:28 pm
LTX--

You're due for some spectacular good news. Since the rest of the world is crossing its collective fingers, I'll be passing out warm compresses to prevent collective finger cramp.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:14 pm
Thanks for the kind words and thoughts everyone. I think I just need to vent. The new position (If I get it),
starts April 1st. I'm supposed to hear back from the new company any day now. It's a pretty good bet that I will get the job, as I was actively recruited, and there are no other candidiates in the running. My dilemma is getting through each day until then. I find that the little annoyances of my current job now seem huge compared to a week ago. I've been taking long lunches and leaving early... anything to make the day go by faster. I need to find a way to relax .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:18 pm
LionTamerX wrote:
I need to find a way to relax .

http://members.tripod.com/~llladybug/lbuggifs/danceani.gif

<I was looking for a cha cha image Cool >

yer a book guy and we all went to the Guggenheim?

<crossing fingers, toes, eyes and braiding my hair>
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:27 pm
ehBeth said:
Quote:
yer a book guy and we all went to the Guggenheim?

I have waaay too many interests...

Speaking of the Guggenheim and our friend the Black Square, a professor pal of mine told me that it was the first purely abstract painting ever exhibited... I'm not sure if I believe him, but it makes the painting more interesting.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:33 pm
mmmm - it makes the context of the painting more interesting but the painting itself? I'll have to ask Eugenie if anything can make the black square more interesting.

ok - lotsa interests but BOOKS !!!

then again, talking about books in a social setting for you is probably like expecting a doc to talk about his favourite surgery at a soiree
0 Replies