Excessive sweating

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 06:57 pm

I am concerned that I have started to sweat excessively recently under my right underarm. My underarm perspires so much that it has become embarrassing for me as my shirt becomes soaked. I wear undershirts and have even taped a towell under my armpit to help absorb the sweat, but nothing works. A close coworker suggested I shave under my arm. I did, but once again no help. What confuses me is that it is always only under my right arm. I am not nervous nor working strenuously. In fact, it is worse when I am simply sitting at my desk. What is causing this and how can I control this?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,378 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 07:17 pm
Irishiiiii- Welcome to A2K!

First of all, if this has just begun recently, and is really bothering you, why not check it out with your MD? In most cases, it is probably nothing, but better safe than sorry. The fact that it happens in only one armpit has me scratching my head. I found an article that has a nice overview of the problem, with some suggestions:

Quote:
Heavy Sweating

Why do I sweat so much?

By Lewis P. Stolman, MD

It seems like every time I get a little nervous, I start sweating intensely. Is there anything I can do about it?

Nov. 6, 2000 -- The problem you describe is called hyperhidrosis, or excessive sweating. And yes, there's lots you can do.

Sweating, of course, is perfectly normal. It's one way the body maintains its temperature. We sweat when it's hot or when we've been exercising vigorously. And when the moisture produced by perspiration evaporates, it cools the skin, and therefore the core temperature of the body.

But sometimes this nifty system goes awry. As many as one in 100 people suffer the kind of problem you're having: When they're under stress, the sweat starts flowing, usually on the palms, soles, face, and armpits.

For whatever reason, some people can undergo extreme stress and not sweat at all. Others find themselves drenched in perspiration from just having to say a few words at a meeting. We don't really understand why one person's threshold for sweating is different from another's. But we do know that the tendency to sweat under stress sometimes runs in families.

If you find yourself sweating all the time, and all over -- not just on your palms, soles, and underarms -- it may be a sign of a serious illness like tuberculosis, some kind of cancer, or thyroid disease. Talk to a doctor immediately.

Fortunately, most people who sweat heavily under stress aren't in any danger. But they may feel quite embarrassed, and the problem can get in the way of their careers. I've treated artists who can't work because their palms get too sweaty and musicians who have trouble playing their instruments.

How do you stop it? The simplest remedy is an antiperspirant, which can be used on hands and feet as well as in the underarm area. Over-the-counter versions work well. If these don't prove strong enough, you can ask your doctor for a prescription-strength version. And if that doesn't help, your doctor may suggest a tranquilizer (such as Valium) for those special occasions when you know you're likely to be extra nervous -- a job interview, some kind of public speaking, or even a first date.

In particularly stubborn cases, we may have to try other approaches. One option is surgery to remove sweat glands in the affected area. Another is to inject small amounts of Botox -- botulinum toxin -- to block the nerves that trigger sweat glands. This treatment must be repeated every 6 to 8 months, however, and the injections can be painful, especially in the palms and feet. Finally, if all else fails for sweaty hands, a surgical procedure may be performed to sever the nerves to the affected sweat glands. However, this is a serious operation that carries with it the risk of complications.

In my experience, the simplest and most cost-effective way to turn off the faucet is a treatment called iontophoresis. This involves applying a low-level electrical current to the affected area, which essentially blocks the sweat duct. For many patients, a one-time treatment may control excessive sweating for good.

The bottom line: Don't worry too much if stress leaves you with sweaty palms and damp circles under your arms. Make the right moves and you can stay dry. You shouldn't have to sweat it forever.

Lewis P. Stolman, MD, is associate professor of pediatrics at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey and a member of the Dermatology and Laser Center of Northern New Jersey. He recently published a review of treatments for hyperhidrosis in the journal Dermatologic Clinics, October 1998.

© 2001 WebMD Corporation. All rights reserved.

0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 07:18 pm
Irishiiii--

I have no idea what sudden, asymetrical sweating means but a doctor would know. You're probably not in danger of immediate death, but just-in-case, see a doctor. He/she might not save your life, but medical expertise could end your inconvenience.

Good luck.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2003 07:43 pm
Irishiiiii,

I once researched this subject extensively for someone and eventually got a product recomendation. I'll ask what it is.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 02:08 am
Ok I heard back and it turns out the product I'd gotten a recommendation for didn't work and it was just an anti-persperant with higher levels of the active ingredients.

I think Phoenix's post covered it very well. It detailed almost all I have heard on the subject.

Sorry I can't give a recommendation, I do think you should talk to a doctor because of the asymetrical factor.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 02:14 am
links about Hyperhidrosis
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2003 08:32 am
get something for my feet!
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:38 pm
Husker:

Try Gold-Bond medicated powder. The boric acid etc will work wonders and reduce your chance of fungal infection.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:44 pm
now there's an idea to try - thanks
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:46 pm
I do have a small spot that about 1/4" by 1" that's carrot orange on my heel, they cut it off to test and it came right back, they don't have an idea what it is.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:51 pm
The fact that the sweating is asymmetric is suggestive of a neurological pathology. Examples found in the literature include, but are not restricted to diabetic neuropathy,hypothalmic pathology as has been seen in multiple sclerosis and lastly, twisting of specific ganglia.

It would be foolish for me to speculate on what the specific pathology is, in the case of asymmetric sweating. You should consult an internist and get it checked out.

Likewise, you mention nothing about your general health nor what meds you're on. Best to see an MD to clarify all possibilities.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Wed 7 May, 2003 10:56 pm
Husker:

Could be just tissue overgrowth due to the way you walk and the pressure you put on that specific part of your foot. It could also be a fungal infection. If so they'll Rx a fungal ointment for you containing an antibiotic or you could take the med by mouth.

Have to wait for the biopsy. Doesn't sound too serious to me.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Thu 22 May, 2003 12:30 am
That sounds really strange, Husker. Orange? Does it
itch, burn - anything? Are your feet real tough and
have lots of hard callouses on them?
As for the horrible sweating attacks, I have had them
not due to menopause, but because of the autoimmune
disease that I have screwed up my internal
thermostat - sometimes I start dripping sweat but it is
all over, not just one underarm. Fortunately my MD
had to change my blood pressure medication, and
the one he put me on (clonidine) just happens to be
a great remedy for extreme sweating attacks. I still
get them, but nowhere as bad as they used to be.
One underarm???? That is very odd really - I've
never heard of such a thing.
0 Replies